• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nolan Ryan To Retire As Rangers CEO

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan announced today that he will retire, effective October 31. Ryan was named as the tenth president in club history in February 2008 and became CEO in March 2011.
This is the right time for me to step down from my role of overseeing the Rangers organization,” said Ryan. “I am extremely proud of what this organization has accomplished. On the field, we have enjoyed great success at the major league level. The fans have supported us in record numbers the last two years and we have been able to upgrade the ballpark and enhance the in-game experience to reward that loyalty."
The legendary pitcher was said to be in a power struggle with GM Jon Daniels earlier this year and there was a great deal of speculation that Ryan would wind up as the odd man out. Ryan butted heads with Daniels over staffing and player personnel decisions and appeared to have a smaller role with the club this year than he has in the past.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

He's done a fine job for this organization, wish him the best of luck in his journey.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nolan has as much to do as anyone with turning the Ranger's into the wining organization they've become. Nolan brought credibility to Arlington twice.

he'd be a great baseball commissioner, but I'm thinking he's smarter than that

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nolan's done great with the Rangers - good luck to him in the future

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nolan has as much to do as anyone with turning the Ranger's into the wining organization they've become. Nolan brought credibility to Arlington twice.

he'd be a great baseball commissioner, but I'm thinking he's smarter than that

Agree he would provide the stature of a commissioner but honestly think he wants to reset and might more likely show up in HOU not too far from now. Commissioner is just too much work ... plus its in NYC.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has to wonder if dismissing Jackie Moore and Tim Purpura was JD's way of finally shoving Nolan out the door, knowing full well that dismissing those two would not sit well with Nolan and would serve as the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It's not a coincidence that the 3 "Nolan" guys (including Nolan himself) are all out the door in the same offseason. Anyone still want to claim there wasn't a Nolan-JD divide/power struggle?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, perhaps the biggest "JD guy" of all, the same one everyone here wants fired in the worst way, still has a job and the full backing of the GM. Ryan, Moore, and Purpura all gone but Wash stays. Makes total sense.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has to wonder if dismissing Jackie Moore and Tim Purpura was JD's way of finally shoving Nolan out the door, knowing full well that dismissing those two would not sit well with Nolan and would serve as the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It's not a coincidence that the 3 "Nolan" guys (including Nolan himself) are all out the door in the same offseason. Anyone still want to claim there wasn't a Nolan-JD divide/power struggle?
Oh geez...please no more of this power struggle garbage.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we won't see those goofy hot dog commercials anymore....

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree he would provide the stature of a commissioner but honestly think he wants to reset and might more likely show up in HOU not too far from now. Commissioner is just too much work ... plus its in NYC.

He could do something what Joe Torre did for Selig a few years back. But I'm willing to bet that he'll be with the Astros organization in some capacity by next off season.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could do something what Joe Torre did for Selig a few years back. But I'm willing to bet that he'll be with the Astros organization in some capacity by next off season.
It might be at the minor league level, but they have no room for him in the Astros FO.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this coming, was surprised he lasted the whole season. It will be interesting to see how successful the organization is going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see JD pull out all the stops within reason to prove he's the man, think his ego is just that big. We will see

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this coming, was surprised he lasted the whole season. It will be interesting to see how successful the organization is going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see JD pull out all the stops within reason to prove he's the man, think his ego is just that big. We will see
Ego? From watching the guy talk, he seems very low key and quiet. I have no clue why anyone would say he has a big ego.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh geez...please no more of this power struggle garbage.

Garbage? Because you say so, right? I'd love to hear your credible source which allows you to call it garbage. I have people who were right smack in the middle of it all who have been telling me about it for years. I guess they were just making it up all this time and what we're seeing now is just some huge coincidence that has absolutely nothing to do with JD vs. Nolan, right?

Seriously. I want to know just exactly who or what, aside from your own personal opinion, makes you so sure there was no power struggle between Nolan and JD. Literally every last thing I've been told over the years and then passed along here is playing out before our eyes and yet somehow you're still calling what I have to say "garbage".

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garbage? Because you say so, right? I'd love to hear your credible source which allows you to call it garbage. I have people who were right smack in the middle of it all who have been telling me about it for years. I guess they were just making it up all this time and what we're seeing now is just some huge coincidence that has absolutely nothing to do with JD vs. Nolan, right?

Seriously. I want to know just exactly who or what, aside from your own personal opinion, makes you so sure there was no power struggle between Nolan and JD. Literally every last thing I've been told over the years and then passed along here is playing out before our eyes and yet somehow you're still calling what I have to say "garbage".
You knowing Jackie Moore isn't a credible source. And using Galloway as a sound piece makes Nolan seems pretty pathetic. This is trumped of garbage. I seriously cannot wait till this is never mentioned again, because the very notion of it is embarrassing to read.

I don't honestly care what some 74 year guy who was bitter about not being retained has to say about this. I care about the Rangers. Galloway, Moore, and Nolan, have nothing to do with this franchise. Stop stirring shit up and let it die.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ego? From watching the guy talk, he seems very low key and quiet. I have no clue why anyone would say he has a big ego.

Maybe because they know him or have had dealings with him. Like I said in my last post, I don't know why you are so quick to defend JD, give him the benefit of the doubt, and refute what so many say about him. The ego is real. The power grab is real. The back-stabbing is real. When respected people like Michael Young and Jackie Moore both say the exact same things about him, there's a good chance that there's a solid amount of truth to it. When what they say also coincides with what several media members around the team say, again, it's likely true. I know from hearing what the players' wives had to say that he's not exactly Mr. Popularity among many of the players either.

He might have made some great moves along the way and done great things for the team as a GM. It would be ridiculous to claim otherwise. But as a person and businessman he's not exactly a class act.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because they know him or have had dealings with him. Like I said in my last post, I don't know why you are so quick to defend JD, give him the benefit of the doubt, and refute what so many say about him. The ego is real. The power grab is real. The back-stabbing is real. When respected people like Michael Young and Jackie Moore both say the exact same things about him, there's a good chance that there's a solid amount of truth to it. When what they say also coincides with what several media members around the team say, again, it's likely true. I know from hearing what the players' wives had to say that he's not exactly Mr. Popularity among many of the players either.

He might have made some great moves along the way and done great things for the team as a GM. It would be ridiculous to claim otherwise. But as a person and businessman he's not exactly a class act.
I am quick to dismiss ridiculousness from either side. I don't see people here making up unfounded claims about Nolan Ryan.

I also have zero reason to believe you. I don't tend to accept random people on the internet claiming that they know people in the organization. I still don't care what a bench coach has to say about anything, because he's irrelevant to the FO dealings. So is MY. It's well documented he whined to the media not once, but twice about his position being changed.

If someone like AJ Preller, Rick George, or Scott Servais came out and spoke poorly of Nolan or JD, then I would pay attention.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You knowing Jackie Moore isn't a credible source. And using Galloway as a sound piece makes Nolan seems pretty pathetic. This is trumped of garbage. I seriously cannot wait till this is never mentioned again, because the very notion of it is embarrassing to read.

I don't honestly care what some 74 year guy who was bitter about not being retained has to say about this. I care about the Rangers. Galloway, Moore, and Nolan, have nothing to do with this franchise. Stop stirring shit up and let it die.

You didn't answer my question. What is your source which makes you so sure it's "garbage"? Or are you just basing this solely off your opinion?

And exactly what am I "stirring up"? Is this not a thread dedicated to Nolan's resigning? Me mentioning the power struggle is somehow incendiary in some way?

I find it hilarious that you can bash me, Jackie Moore, and anyone else who brings it up, yet you don't have one credible source of any kind to support your claims. Not one.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't answer my question. What is your source which makes you so sure it's "garbage"? Or are you just basing this solely off your opinion?

And exactly what am I "stirring up"? Is this not a thread dedicated to Nolan's resigning? Me mentioning the power struggle is somehow incendiary in some way?

I find it hilarious that you can bash me, Jackie Moore, and anyone else who brings it up, yet you don't have one credible source of any kind to support your claims. Not one.
I don't need a damn source, because Jackie Moore isn't credible. He's a bitter old man who will say anything to rip on the people he felt wronged him. No one worth a damn is saying the stuff you are. It's just you, Galloway, and Jackie. Way to be in bad company.

And it's very much stirring shit up. No one else in the world is pushing this agenda. Ray and Bob bought Nolan out and all is well. There will be good from this. They said he's irreplaceable. This should be about celebrating Nolan, and you are trying to make it about some trumped up power struggle. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am quick to dismiss ridiculousness from either side. I don't see people here making up unfounded claims about Nolan Ryan.

I also have zero reason to believe you. I don't tend to accept random people on the internet claiming that they know people in the organization. I still don't care what a bench coach has to say about anything, because he's irrelevant to the FO dealings. So is MY. It's well documented he whined to the media not once, but twice about his position being changed.

If someone like AJ Preller, Rick George, or Scott Servais came out and spoke poorly of Nolan or JD, then I would pay attention.

So the fact that I was able to provide that many details of how I came to know him and my life growing up as his family friend I guess means nothing, huh? And he's not just "some bench coach". He's one of the most respected people in baseball who has been in the game for over 50 years. Oh yeah, and best friends with Nolan too. They hang out together in the offseasons at Nolan's ranch. Both have disliked JD since their first year together in Arlington, so the "bitter" angle? Not so much.

You can wait for the word from AJ Preller or Rick George all you want to. I'll take the word of the two guys directly involved in the situation, two guys who have a hell of a lot more respect league wide than Scott Servais.