• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nolan Ryan To Retire As Rangers CEO

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the fact that I was able to provide that many details of how I came to know him and my life growing up as his family friend I guess means nothing, huh? And he's not just "some bench coach". He's one of the most respected people in baseball who has been in the game for over 50 years. Oh yeah, and best friends with Nolan too. They hang out together in the offseasons at Nolan's ranch. Both have disliked JD since their first year together in Arlington, so the "bitter" angle? Not so much.

You can wait for the word from AJ Preller or Rick George all you want to. I'll take the word of the two guys directly involved in the situation, two guys who have a hell of a lot more respect league wide than Scott Servais.
Keep on passing along your gossip. Seems to be all you are good at around here.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need a damn source, because Jackie Moore isn't credible. He's a bitter old man who will say anything to rip on the people he felt wronged him. No one worth a damn is saying the stuff you are. It's just you, Galloway, and Jackie. Way to be in bad company.

And it's very much stirring shit up. No one else in the world is pushing this agenda. Ray and Bob bought Nolan out and all is well. There will be good from this. They said he's irreplaceable. This should be about celebrating Nolan, and you are trying to make it about some trumped up power struggle. It's ridiculous.

Jackie's a "bitter old man" who isn't credible but somehow you the outsider are. Michael Young was just a whiner and complainer and you know better. "Nobody" outside of me, Randy Galloway, and Jackie Moore are claiming this (despite there being a lengthy discussion on ESPN 103.3 this morning about it and multiple articles having been written about it). You live in Houston. I live in the DFW Metroplex and am surrounded by Rangers coverage 24/7. You say you don't need any sources. I have tons of them directly employed by the team. Nobody worth a damn is saying anything about the Nolan/JD Rift...

I just want to make sure I have all these facts straight as you've presented them to me. Carry on being right.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackie's a "bitter old man" who isn't credible but somehow you the outsider are. Michael Young was just a whiner and complainer and you know better. "Nobody" outside of me, Randy Galloway, and Jackie Moore are claiming this (despite there being a lengthy discussion on ESPN 103.3 this morning about it and multiple articles having been written about it). You live in Houston. I live in the DFW Metroplex and am surrounded by Rangers coverage 24/7. You say you don't need any sources. I have tons of them directly employed by the team. Nobody worth a damn is saying anything about the Nolan/JD Rift...

I just want to make sure I have all these facts straight as you've presented them to me. Carry on being right.
Good for you feeding the retarded media beast that surrounds the Rangers. All of this garbage is speculation. I am glad Jackie is gone. Hopefully you will follow his ass out the door.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminded me why I had you on ignore in the first place with this garbage. Thanks a lot.

I never asked you to reply to begin with. I was discussing Nolan's essential dismissal from the team and what effectively caused it. You chose to launch into a bunch of posts calling it embarrassing garbage, saying I wasn't worth a damn, Jackie Moore was an unreliable bitter old man, and that I am known for gossip and should be shown the door. At no point did I ever insult you or challenge you. I defended my statements, that's it. And yet somehow I should be the one ignored. I don't know why you have this hostile thing against me. I've got nothing against you, but I will defend what I know to be true when you come on here and tell me it's just ridiculous garbage.

If you knew something to be true firsthand and I said you were full of it, how would you respond? Honest question.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never asked you to reply to begin with. I was discussing Nolan's essential dismissal from the team and what effectively caused it. You chose to launch into a bunch of posts calling it embarrassing garbage, saying I wasn't worth a damn, Jackie Moore was an unreliable bitter old man, and that I am known for gossip and should be shown the door. At no point did I ever insult you or challenge you. I defended my statements, that's it. And yet somehow I should be the one ignored. I don't know why you have this hostile thing against me. I've got nothing against you, but I will defend what I know to be true when you come on here and tell me it's just ridiculous garbage.

If you knew something to be true firsthand and I said you were full of it, how would you respond? Honest question.
I wouldn't give a damn, nor should you. It's really that simple. It's an internet disagreement. Not like I am losing sleep over it. I am bored and awake because my schedule requires me to be.

That's the thing about internet message boards though. You put it out there and people will respond to it. What drives me crazy is that there is endless obsession with Jon Daniels from people that have a pro Nolan bias. I don't get it. I like both guys, and both have done great things for the organization. It was time for Nolan to be done, and I will be grateful for all he did for them. But I also realize that he wasn't some great mystical legend. He was still a man. Just like Jon Daniels is a man. They both have their own faults.

So by all means please celebrate Nolan Ryan. He deserves it.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give a damn, nor should you. It's really that simple. It's an internet disagreement. Not like I am losing sleep over it. I am bored and awake because my schedule requires me to be.

That's the thing about internet message boards though. You put it out there and people will respond to it. What drives me crazy is that there is endless obsession with Jon Daniels from people that have a pro Nolan bias. I don't get it. I like both guys, and both have done great things for the organization. It was time for Nolan to be done, and I will be grateful for all he did for them. But I also realize that he wasn't some great mystical legend. He was still a man. Just like Jon Daniels is a man. They both have their own faults.

So by all means please celebrate Nolan Ryan. He deserves it.

Now see, all of that I can agree with. I probably came across too much as all-Nolan totally anti-JD. While there is a little truth to it, I will say that I certainly haven't always agreed with Nolan's moves (Oswalt was a disaster). Also, I very much appreciate what JD has done for the team during his tenure and the team certainly wouldn't have achieved as much without him. For that alone I'm glad we've got him.

I'm honestly not trying to stir anything or spread gossip. I just know what a decent amount of respectable and honest people involved with the team have been saying about JD as a person for several years now. I won't say any more about it though and it's cool if you choose to ignore me/it. I've seen you make a lot of very astute observations about the team over this last season and believe it or not, we often agree on quite a bit of Rangers-related stuff, so I hope you'd be willing to put this past arguing bs behind us and chat some baseball with me when you see me on here.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now see, all of that I can agree with. I probably came across too much as all-Nolan totally anti-JD. While there is a little truth to it, I will say that I certainly haven't always agreed with Nolan's moves (Oswalt was a disaster). Also, I very much appreciate what JD has done for the team during his tenure and the team certainly wouldn't have achieved as much without him. For that alone I'm glad we've got him.

I'm honestly not trying to stir anything or spread gossip. I just know what a decent amount of respectable and honest people involved with the team have been saying about JD as a person for several years now. I won't say any more about it though and it's cool if you choose to ignore me/it. I've seen you make a lot of very astute observations about the team over this last season and believe it or not, we often agree on quite a bit of Rangers-related stuff, so I hope you'd be willing to put this past arguing bs behind us and chat some baseball with me when you see me on here.
Sure thing. I get amped up. I can admit that one. This one is something I need to get over, because all day I've seen people on ESPN and the Rangers facebook say ignorant shit, and I totally projected that.

Anyway, the team will be okay. They will move on and prosper. Nolan can ride off into the sunset, and it won't have been in vain. When they finally win a WS, they will probably give him a ring, and should do so.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure thing. I get amped up. I can admit that one. This one is something I need to get over, because all day I've seen people on ESPN and the Rangers facebook say ignorant shit, and I totally projected that.

Anyway, the team will be okay. They will move on and prosper. Nolan can ride off into the sunset, and it won't have been in vain. When they finally win a WS, they will probably give him a ring, and should do so.

On that we totally agree. The team will be just fine. Losing Nolan, Jackie, Purpura, and/or Anderson won't break this franchise. The team is still in very capable hands from a front-office standpoint. Nolan was pretty much already relegated to figurehead status anyway. Wash will do what Wash will do, so having a different guy beside him to give him the post-game hug isn't going to make or break them. I know exactly what you mean about people freaking out today though. No one's gonna care one bit about these restructuring moves if the Rangers can sign a few bats this offseason and get right back to winning division titles. Hell, if they return to the World Series I'd wager Nolan himself will be sitting front and center cheering them on.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Nolan IMO is very minor. As soon as the press conference was over it was BAU for the organization.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keywords here

Absolutely. Nolan did some nice things here when he arrived in 2008 but I think fans are giving him a bit too much credit. With or without Nolan I believe the success of the organization would have still came. The foundation and building blocks were already there. And this team was cash strapped until the late 2010 season so the majority if not all the day to day baseball maneuvering was done by JD, Thad Levin, Preller etc. I'm not poo pooing on Nolan but I think if we all take a back seat and look at it objectively this organization was fine and will continue to be fine.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Nolan did some nice things here when he arrived in 2008 but I think fans are giving him a bit too much credit. With or without Nolan I believe the success of the organization would have still came. The foundation and building blocks were already there. And this team was cash strapped until the late 2010 season so the majority if not all the day to day baseball maneuvering was done by JD, Thad Levin, Preller etc. I'm not poo pooing on Nolan but I think if we all take a back seat and look at it objectively this organization was fine and will continue to be fine.

"With or without Nolan I believe the success of the organization would have still came"

matters to me YOUR opinion here but this statement was most certainly perceived as poo pooing on Nolan. Not sure how that could be denied.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"With or without Nolan I believe the success of the organization would have still came"

matters to me YOUR opinion here but this statement was most certainly perceived as poo pooing on Nolan. Not sure how that could be denied.

How am I poo pooing Nolan? I simply stated that Nolan brought some things to the table when he arrived in 2008 but the foundation for success was already in place with JD's work. The day to day critical baseball operations were mostly JD and company. I don't doubt Nolan brought his wisdom and thoughts but I personally think fans are giving Nolan way too much credit. He deserves some but I believe they would have still done the same things after 2008 with or without Nolan because the foundation was built long before Nolan arrived.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I poo pooing Nolan? I simply stated that Nolan brought some things to the table when he arrived in 2008 but the foundation for success was already in place with JD's work. The day to day critical baseball operations were mostly JD and company. I don't doubt Nolan brought his wisdom and thoughts but I personally think fans are giving Nolan way too much credit. He deserves some but I believe they would have still done the same things after 2008 with or without Nolan because the foundation was built long before Nolan arrived.

And I think you are wrong as wrong can be, BUT that must be just me giving Nolan too much credit cause according to me, it's all JD. That should surely show itself since Nolan is no longer around to slow JD down.....least according to your informed opinions on such matters.

Some of us watched since 72 and I find it funny YOU knew we would win with or without Nolan. :suds:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ego? From watching the guy talk, he seems very low key and quiet. I have no clue why anyone would say he has a big ego.

I think he is low key and quiet, however I think he has a an ego and not necessarily to fault. One can have an ego without being egotistical or ego-maniacal in my opinion. I think most people that are successful have ego and tend to value themselves more than others at times and that is what drives some people. I would consider myself to have ego warranted or not by others opinions it makes no difference to me. It could be bad but in JD's case I just think it's what drives him to a degree.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all on JD now. We are going to see if he is as smart as every body thinks he is. He is either going to get all the credit or all the blame.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you're selling Nolan a bit short. For sure at the very least he (and Maddux) have had a very positive impact on the pitching staff. Nolan brought the whole "screw pitch counts, pound the strike zone, and be in shape to go 8-9 innings" mentality which was lacking before his arrival.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're selling Nolan a bit short. For sure at the very least he (and Maddux) have had a very positive impact on the pitching staff. Nolan brought the whole "screw pitch counts, pound the strike zone, and be in shape to go 8-9 innings" mentality which was lacking before his arrival.

To go the extra one or two innings you also need to have good pitchers. Anybody knows that we've always pretty much had a terrible and joke of a staff. Nolan brought something to the table but I don't believe he's to the point where it's an irreplaceable feeling.