• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Problem going In

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with #32 ranking going into this season. How could it be anything other than 32?

32. Dallas Cowboys

espn-rank-DAL-D.png

The Cowboys had statistically one of the league's worst defenses in 2013. Then they lost their three best players this offseason. Jason Hatcher and DeMarcus Ware left for greener pastures, while Sean Lee suffered another injury and was shut down practically before a pad had been strapped on. The average team has 4.5 good starters or better on the defense, but the Cowboys currently have just one.
If there is hope for this defense, it comes on the defensive line. They added Henry Melton, who was one of the best pass rushing interior linemen in 2012 before he got hurt in 2013. Defensive lineman Jeremy Mincey will also serve as an upgrade. Anthony Spencer sets the edge well and is a quality player when healthy. There are just too many question marks here overall, though.

Not sure reading the above is earth shattering but I'll stand on the opinion this defense will not be last. I'll even go so far as to predict lower to mid 20's in rankings. Health dictates everything but I'm good with the opinion. The optimism comes from expected overall better secondary play. The concern remains more the linebacker position for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with #32 ranking going into this season. How could it be anything other than 32?

32. Dallas Cowboys

espn-rank-DAL-D.png

The Cowboys had statistically one of the league's worst defenses in 2013. Then they lost their three best players this offseason. Jason Hatcher and DeMarcus Ware left for greener pastures, while Sean Lee suffered another injury and was shut down practically before a pad had been strapped on. The average team has 4.5 good starters or better on the defense, but the Cowboys currently have just one.
If there is hope for this defense, it comes on the defensive line. They added Henry Melton, who was one of the best pass rushing interior linemen in 2012 before he got hurt in 2013. Defensive lineman Jeremy Mincey will also serve as an upgrade. Anthony Spencer sets the edge well and is a quality player when healthy. There are just too many question marks here overall, though.

Not sure reading the above is earth shattering but I'll stand on the opinion this defense will not be last. I'll even go so far as to predict lower to mid 20's in rankings. Health dictates everything but I'm good with the opinion. The optimism comes from expected overall better secondary play. The concern remains more the linebacker position for me.

Wow those rankings paint a really ugly picture. I tend to want to trust Rod here.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that is just what this defense needs. Let everybody and their mother make predictions on how bad the D will be. Let it be the worst kept secret in the NFL.

And if I was Garrett, I would have the entire locker room redone in special wall paper that shows every article and prediction on the D's demise.

I would have them feeling so disrespected and wound up that on opening day they would need to be
shackled and wheel out on a hand truck like a bunch of Hannibal Lecters.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that is just what this defense needs. Let everybody and their mother make predictions on how bad the D will be. Let it be the worst kept secret in the NFL.

And if I was Garrett, I would have the entire locker room redone in special wall paper that shows every article and prediction on the D's demise.

I would have them feeling so disrespected and wound up that on opening day they would need to be
shackled and wheel out on a hand truck like a bunch of Hannibal Lecters.

LOL.....I like this and football coaches are not above it.
somebody needs to put this in the valley ranch suggestion box

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with these rankings either. The offense rankings are also out. Can't find them but there I questioned them.

Most rankings are nothing more than opinions so there will always be differences.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the mouse moved the rankings to insider. I don't and won't pay for that.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the mouse moved the rankings to insider. I don't and won't pay for that.

Nor should you pay for that crap. Insider is such a joke, it's a thinly veiled money grab.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our edge rushers are ranked a little to high right now :whistle::D

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14. Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys' offense is fairly solid across the board, though they do lack a position where they are truly among the league's best.

Left tackle Tyron Smith showed why the team wanted to get him signed to a long-term extension, allowing just 31 total pressures from 629 pass-blocking snaps, while center Travis Frederick was one of the best run-blockers at his position as a rookie.

They have a big-time talent at wide receiver in Dez Bryant, although he didn't display the best hands last season; he dropped 11 of the 104 catchable passes thrown his way.

espn-rank-dal-O.png

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the O side I think our OLine should be ranked higher (lower number), WR's are about right considering we have one established guy, QB is a toss up since a healthy Romo is better than that but is he healthy, and RB is better than that if he gets chances and stays healthy.

The OL will help the running game, and the running game will help Romo.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14. Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys' offense is fairly solid across the board, though they do lack a position where they are truly among the league's best.

Left tackle Tyron Smith showed why the team wanted to get him signed to a long-term extension, allowing just 31 total pressures from 629 pass-blocking snaps, while center Travis Frederick was one of the best run-blockers at his position as a rookie.

They have a big-time talent at wide receiver in Dez Bryant, although he didn't display the best hands last season; he dropped 11 of the 104 catchable passes thrown his way.

View attachment 11695

I think we are better than that. 15 at QB is at least 5-6 spots to low IMO. WR's and OL could easily be ranked 2-3 spots higher as well

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the ranking. It might not even be the worst D in the division, let alone the entire league. Just because they were 32nd in yards last year doesn't mean they were the worst defense. Funny how a team like Washington, that is coming off a 3-13 season, just lost arguably their best defender in the past decade to retirement, and still sport a roster full of defenders no better than Dallas, can get a pass for having a shitty defense while everybody makes fun of ours. They gave up more points last year and forced less turnovers, not to mention finishing 3-13 (and keep in mind, that was with Ware and Lee constantly missing games, Hatcher playing hurt, and our defensive line and secondary playing musical chairs for the entire season). Yet all that is being talked about is our defense. Even Washington fans like shark have the nerve to poke fun of our defense which is laughable. I guess Washington's defense became elite or something. And to be honest, Philly's defense is not much better than ours if at all. But I'll give it to the Giants. They clearly have the best D in the division going into this season.

Yeah, I've accepted that our defense was bad last year and could be bad yet again this year, but all these jokes and over-the-top criticisms from hack writers need to stop. There were clearly other NFL teams like Washington, Jacksonville, Minnesota, ATL, and Oakland who had equal if not worse defenses than Dallas last year. I like how it is just assumed that all of those teams will improve defensively while Dallas will just continuously get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the ranking. It might not even be the worst D in the division, let alone the entire league. Just because they were 32nd in yards last year doesn't mean they were the worst defense. Funny how a team like Washington, that is coming off a 3-13 season, just lost arguably their best defender in the past decade to retirement, and still sport a roster full of defenders no better than Dallas, can get a pass for having a shitty defense while everybody makes fun of ours. They gave up more points last year and forced less turnovers, not to mention finishing 3-13 (and keep in mind, that was with Ware and Lee constantly missing games, Hatcher playing hurt, and our defensive line and secondary playing musical chairs for the entire season). Yet all that is being talked about is our defense. Even Washington fans like shark have the nerve to poke fun of our defense which is laughable. I guess Washington's defense became elite or something. And to be honest, Philly's defense is not much better than ours if at all. But I'll give it to the Giants. They clearly have the best D in the division going into this season.

Yeah, I've accepted that our defense was bad last year and could be bad yet again this year, but all these jokes and over-the-top criticisms from hack writers need to stop. There were clearly other NFL teams like Washington, Jacksonville, Minnesota, ATL, and Oakland who had equal if not worse defenses than Dallas last year. I like how it is just assumed that all of those teams will improve defensively while Dallas will just continuously get worse.

I hear what you're saying Earl, but a game I like to play is matching two teams starters up against each other and seeing how many of our guys would start. On offense, we would start more than half on a lot of teams. If you start with the top ranked defenses and work down, the scary thing for us is you'd have to go through a lot of teams before you could say more than 1 or 2.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree with you. 6 teams gave up more points than us last year. It's like no one realizes that. Our version of the Tampa 2 will always be worse in yard than points even if we ever be me good. I don't have any interest in going through the reasons and trying to convince anyone, but I say we are closer to 20 than 30 in points against this year. I think most fans that actually follow the team and dont just read the articles about us or get their Cowboy news from ESPN understand that we were playing multiple guys that were LITERALLY off the street and some were even starting. Just by replacing those guys, Heath and Webb with players that aren't very good, but not as horrible as those guys we will be much better. We certainly cant be top 10 because we dont have enough elite players, but we have a chance to be NFL average and maybe that's enough. Our biggest concern is Romo staying healthy and really injuries as a whole. This HORRIBLE defense I keep reading about held their own in a win or go home game In week 17. No reason we can't do it again.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This HORRIBLE defense I keep reading about held their own in a win or go home game In week 17. No reason we can't do it again.

Jarntt, I have cautious optimism concerning this defense due in no small part to you and Pday continuing to say that you expect them to be average.

That said, this is not the same defense that held their own in a win or go home last year. Yes, we were without Lee last year and Ware was playing through injury, but our offseason approach was dubious, at best.

We will have to wait till the season to know for sure, but I'm looking forward to Saturday's game against the Ravens. I'm hoping to see something more than a four lane highway up the middle.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I'm saying, and yet....many cowboy fans post nothing but worst in football, 600 yards a game, 40 points allowed and should we on side kick every time. FUCK...where the hell is fried? Least he supported the statements.

I look forward to this season. Last year it was the Washington fans and this year it seems to be most of the cowboy fans

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt, I have cautious optimism concerning this defense due in no small part to you and Pday continuing to say that you expect them to be average.

That said, this is not the same defense that held their own in a win or go home last year. Yes, we were without Lee last year and Ware was playing through injury, but our offseason approach was dubious, at best.

We will have to wait till the season to know for sure, but I'm looking forward to Saturday's game against the Ravens. I'm hoping to see something more than a four lane highway up the middle.

Just to be clear, i Don't expect average, i think we could be as good average. The only thing I say we WILL be is better than last year.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, i Don't expect average, i think we could be as good average. The only thing I say we WILL be is better than last year.

I'm still holding judgment, but if we are just slightly better than last year we have a real shot at being competitive in the playoffs. Time will tell.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still holding judgment, but if we are just slightly better than last year we have a real shot at being competitive in the playoffs. Time will tell.

We all know our defense had some pathetic stretches, but we also had some stupid play calling and time management issues that helped in those big losses. So, I agree we can be competitive for making the playoffs with a little improvement. My biggest concern since we let Ware go was a pass rush. If we don't get a pass rush we will be hard pressed to have any success, but maybe we just send numbers and do it that way. Heck, I'd think about blitzing Church and Carter more often than not since neither can cover anyway....

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
average? maybe... but lower 20's to mid 20's is my guess.

I think the db play will be much better and if the stars align just right, we'll have average dline play.

Linebacker remains the rub.....should be fun