• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No one is talking about Eric Reid now

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, I did the video analysis of Reid at LSU and see dynamic ability as a SS but limited instincts as a FS. Reid is aggressive and a fierce hitter with speed but he bites on play action and gets caught out of position to support the corner on either side on pass plays.

It doesn't mean he can't improve that aspect of his game but Reid doesn't show the innate ability to be a NFL free safety.

If ya'll play a lot of cover 2 in the secondary, then it can be masked. However, I don't see Reid as a cover 1 free safety in the mold of an Earl Thomas, for example.

I would lay .50 that Reid takes over for Whitner in 2014and Baalke finds a FS. It wouldn't be the 1st time I'd be wrong and won't be last but I just write what my eyes are telling me with decent success at prognosticating db's.

Reid reminds me so much of Taylor Mays in the way he completely regressed between his sophomore and junior seasons. I'd love to have the Eric Reid who played as a freshman, not so much the junior.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid reminds me so much of Taylor Mays in the way he completely regressed between his sophomore and junior seasons. I'd love to have the Eric Reid who played as a freshman, not so much the junior.

Yup, the difference is that Reid shows actual game smarts, his case was more of trying to do too much in a depleted secondary. Mays was a physical freak who never had a clue. Reid's regression could be explained. Mays' couldn't.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU as a whole looked bad. remember they lost their top CB in honey badger and he had to control the whole Secondary. He didn't do that bad to be 1st team ALL SEC team.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this draft class is already showing very good signs, and without Tank and Lattimore. we could REALLY use it since the 2012 draft isn't happening.

I'm intrigued by lattimore but two full years without contact is going to be tough to come back from.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm intrigued by lattimore but two full years without contact is going to be tough to come back from.

He was injured in October or November of last year.... so it is really only like one year out of it.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, I did the video analysis of Reid at LSU and see dynamic ability as a SS but limited instincts as a FS. Reid is aggressive and a fierce hitter with speed but he bites on play action and gets caught out of position to support the corner on either side on pass plays.

It doesn't mean he can't improve that aspect of his game but Reid doesn't show the innate ability to be a NFL free safety.

If ya'll play a lot of cover 2 in the secondary, then it can be masked. However, I don't see Reid as a cover 1 free safety in the mold of an Earl Thomas, for example.

I would lay .50 that Reid takes over for Whitner in 2014and Baalke finds a FS. It wouldn't be the 1st time I'd be wrong and won't be last but I just write what my eyes are telling me with decent success at prognosticating db's.

Yeah well.... thats great "analysis" and all, but he has played very well and has been tested multiple times and he has prevailed. But you better get your backtracking excuses ready (i.e. "If ya'll play a lot of cover 2 in the secondary, then it [Reids poor FS play] can be masked") if his preseason performance is any indicator to how he will do in the regular season.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was injured in October or November of last year.... so it is really only like one year out of it.

But by the time he plays in his first meaningful game next season it will have been almost two years.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But by the time he plays in his first meaningful game next season it will have been almost two years.

True, but I have to believe he will be getting contact in practice or preseason, even potentially this year long before that.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but I have to believe he will be getting contact in practice or preseason, even potentially this year long before that.

That's true. Didn't Lattimore have a season-ending injury in 2011 as well as 2012? I believe he tore the ACL in his other knee in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he tore a ligament (can't remember which one) around the same time the year before.... I think it was october.

This is where some of the pundits will say his upright running style is cause for concern.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he tore a ligament (can't remember which one) around the same time the year before.... I think it was october.

This is where some of the pundits will say his upright running style is cause for concern.

Eric Dickerson ran that way. I think the injuries were more just simple bad luck.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Reid - DB - 49ers

First-round pick Eric Reid has been named the 49ers' starting free safety.

That had been the expectation since the 49ers traded up to select Reid in April's draft. Reid is expected to stay back in center field while SS Donte Whitner patrols closer to the line of scrimmage.
Source: 49ers on Twitter

Aug 27 - 3:28 PM

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never liked Taylor Mays, one iota. Another guy who wanted ESPN highlight hits but couldn't cover a lick. I'm sure 2 of the reasons that PC drafted Golden Tate is the 2 Td's Golden snagged when Mays couldn't flip, lost a split second in supporting the CB and had a weak attempt with his shoulder . THe 2nd was Tate running into Mays and knocking Mays to the ground. Mays was all 40 yd dash.

Reid has never been a ballhawk despite being surrounded with talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson, Eifert, Rhodes, and Floyd would have been better options at pick number 18. That's with the trade...

Had we not traded up, but instead decided to stay put, maybe Reid would have still been there but maybe not. Even if he were gone, Cyprien would have been just as good IMO. In addition to Cyprien, we would still have our high 3rd round pick putting us in position to get Damontre Moore, John Jenkins, or Keenan Allen. The Reid pick was much more complex/expansive price to pay than you are making out to be.

Ill give you Floyd...the rest? No.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah well.... thats great "analysis" and all, but he has played very well and has been tested multiple times and he has prevailed. But you better get your backtracking excuses ready (i.e. "If ya'll play a lot of cover 2 in the secondary, then it [Reids poor FS play] can be masked") if his preseason performance is any indicator to how he will do in the regular season.

I'm not setting up excuses as I'm giving my analysis that Reid isn't a cover 1 free safety. I was trying to be diplomatic because I'm on a 9er board. If you'd like me to be more blunt, just say so.

Reid can only play cover 2 where he manages a smaller range of field in pass protection. Is that straight forward enough for you? His free safety pass coverage instincts are below average. It's obvious.

If Ponder makes a solid throw to Jennings, Reid is burnt toast. :L

You obviously didn't watch Reid surrounded by all that LSU talent. Mingo, Logan, Montgomery with Minter in the middle. That's enough pass rushing pressure for Reid to get more than 2 picks and one on the video was thrown right in his gut on a QB roll out. He also had Claiborne and Brockers as a soph, so Reid could cheat since claiborne could handle the 1 on 1.

I don't think you know what you're looking for out of your db's. Oh well, no big.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Dickerson ran that way. I think the injuries were more just simple bad luck.

Nobody runs or ran like Eric Dickerson. That was one special back who never had a QB, faced a stacked box and smoked defenses. I saw him run over and around Lott a few times.

Eric Dickerson was the man and still never gets the credit he's due.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Reid - DB - 49ers

First-round pick Eric Reid has been named the 49ers' starting free safety.

That had been the expectation since the 49ers traded up to select Reid in April's draft. Reid is expected to stay back in center field while SS Donte Whitner patrols closer to the line of scrimmage.
Source: 49ers on Twitter

Aug 27 - 3:28 PM

Ok, here we go boys. Reid is going to be playing cover 1. Let's see what he can do.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If Ponder makes a solid throw to Jennings, Reid is burnt toast. :L

No issues with you beating your opinion of Reid to death, but can't accept this part. Reid took a bad angle at first, like he expected a go route instead of a post, but recovered quickly and was in the receiver's pocket.

I don't think one "if/then" hypothetical (on the first play of a rookie's first start) helps make your point, anyway.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked Taylor Mays, one iota. Another guy who wanted ESPN highlight hits but couldn't cover a lick. I'm sure 2 of the reasons that PC drafted Golden Tate is the 2 Td's Golden snagged when Mays couldn't flip, lost a split second in supporting the CB and had a weak attempt with his shoulder . THe 2nd was Tate running into Mays and knocking Mays to the ground. Mays was all 40 yd dash.

Reid has never been a ballhawk despite being surrounded with talent.

Golden Tate owns Taylor Mays, Oct 18th, 2009. - YouTube

Mays started out very well at SC. During his sophomore year he got a big hit on someone and it got a lot of play on ESPN. His game went downhill from there.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody runs or ran like Eric Dickerson. That was one special back who never had a QB, faced a stacked box and smoked defenses. I saw him run over and around Lott a few times.

Eric Dickerson was the man and still never gets the credit he's due.

He certainly ran in an upright fashion as I stated.