• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes possible move

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with all these subsidies we should just chip in and buy the team. whaddayasayboys????

I'm down. I have a revolutionary idea; the team will have no home city. No home arena that we have to pay money for upkeep, no rental/lease fees, none of that crap. We just play all away games.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents own a second home in Scottsdale Arizona; which is just outside the downtown area. I have been to Yotes, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and Suns games before. The problem really isn’t too much about the drive since Phoenix is the 4th largest city in the USA and if it was in Canada it would be the biggest; it’s huge. No one is a local! You will find more Bills/Sabres/Steelers/Rangers/Yanks?...Etc fans then any Arizona fan. Yes the whole complex in Glendale is a little strange (Cant tailgate at a Cardinals game and if you don’t have season tickets you have to park at a local high school and take a bus to the game) but it has so much going for it. That city and area is growing faster than any city in the US minus Las Vegas. I really do hope things would work out for them but it just seems no one cares since no one will drop their usual team. I know I wouldn’t if I ever moved there. I think it just comes down to “No history”.

I heard Phoenix is aggressively adding light rail lines in the metro area. Is that something that would improve attendance?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the playoff success will help them stay....

Its like that hit song by Limahl, this story never ends

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I'm down. I have a revolutionary idea; the team will have no home city. No home arena that we have to pay money for upkeep, no rental/lease fees, none of that crap. We just play all away games.

there was soccer team (USL) a few years ago like that.

crowd was chanting "you've got no home clap clap clapclapclap"

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the playoff success will help them stay....

Its like that hit song by Limahl, this story never ends

I was thinking this. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the team won the conference (but not the Cup since Philly will beat them :becky:) and moved the next year?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I was thinking this. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the team won the conference (but not the Cup since Philly will beat them :becky:) and moved the next year?

Quebec Nordiques won their division before moving to Colorado.
(crapped out in first round of playoffs though)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll be in Glendale, watching the Coyotes raise the Cup. :D

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents own a second home in Scottsdale Arizona; which is just outside the downtown area. I have been to Yotes, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and Suns games before. The problem really isn’t too much about the drive since Phoenix is the 4th largest city in the USA and if it was in Canada it would be the biggest; it’s huge. No one is a local! You will find more Bills/Sabres/Steelers/Rangers/Yanks?...Etc fans then any Arizona fan. Yes the whole complex in Glendale is a little strange (Cant tailgate at a Cardinals game and if you don’t have season tickets you have to park at a local high school and take a bus to the game) but it has so much going for it. That city and area is growing faster than any city in the US minus Las Vegas. I really do hope things would work out for them but it just seems no one cares since no one will drop their usual team. I know I wouldn’t if I ever moved there. I think it just comes down to “No history”.

This.

My friend lives in Scottsdale (surprisingly fun nightlife BTW), and we went to a bar for a 9ers game one NFL Sunday last season. It was a decent sized sportsbar and had around 40 people there. I think there were a total of two Cardinals fans there... TWO! In PHOENIX! People were rooting for all sorts of teams. It reminded me of going to sportsbars in LA.

That is the problem with Phoenix. Its a city like Vegas, there just are not many people who are born and raised in Phoenix, then settle and have kids who are raised and stay in Phoenix. Its a revolving door of people, and Id say half the population did not grow up there. Its hard to have a good sports tradition under those circumstances. Look at the AZ Cardinals for most of the last 20 years- it wasn't until they went to the Super Bowl that they actually sold out regular season games. They were the worst NFL market for a long time.

Then add in the fact that there is limited ice hockey in a desert, and you have a recipe for a poorly performing hockey team.

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy about this? Not in the least. But one way to look at it is they have an owner and it's not the other 29 teams paying to keep them afloat. Maybe they turn into another Nashville, maybe they don't.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not the Goldwater Institute wants to raise a stink about this deal. This $17 million subsidy that the city of Glendale is giving Jamieson doesn't look much different from the one they were negotiating when Hulsizer was trying to purchase the Coyotes.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this doesnt change anything lol

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather lose my team than have it be owned by Jamison. Regardless I still have my doubts about this happening anyway.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not the Goldwater Institute wants to raise a stink about this deal. This $17 million subsidy that the city of Glendale is giving Jamieson doesn't look much different from the one they were negotiating when Hulsizer was trying to purchase the Coyotes.

I guess it all depends on the way the backing for that $17M is based. My understanding of their objection when it was offered to Hulsizer (or maybe it was still Reindorf, hard to keep this crap straight) was that the city was on the hook for the entire ~$65M if revenues weren't up to predictions. If Jamison is on the hook for some of the subsidy, Goldwater may be OK.

And maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why Goldwater raises such a stink about a subsidy to an actual owner, but not so much about the $25M that Glendale pays to the league the last two years. The amount they have already paid isn't much less than what they would have paid under the subsidy, and they could have had this crap behind them by now.

And with Phoenix (likely) going to the WCF this year, the potential owner missed out on a lot of $ that wouldn't have required the entire subsidy anyhow.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on the way the backing for that $17M is based. My understanding of their objection when it was offered to Hulsizer (or maybe it was still Reindorf, hard to keep this crap straight) was that the city was on the hook for the entire ~$65M if revenues weren't up to predictions. If Jamison is on the hook for some of the subsidy, Goldwater may be OK.

And maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why Goldwater raises such a stink about a subsidy to an actual owner, but not so much about the $25M that Glendale pays to the league the last two years. The amount they have already paid isn't much less than what they would have paid under the subsidy, and they could have had this crap behind them by now.

And with Phoenix (likely) going to the WCF this year, the potential owner missed out on a lot of $ that wouldn't have required the entire subsidy anyhow.

You raise some very valid points, sir. I wonder what Redfield T. Baum is up to these days (love that name).

fanwagon

G for C
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know of any credibility to this?

John Buccigross ‏ @Buccigross
A tentative deal by the NHL to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison is expected to be announced tonight

Also, what does it mean for moving/staying in Phoenix?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman presser in Glendale tonight, I'm sure the gerbil will be smiling from ear-to-ear...