• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes possible move

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL seems reluctant to budge off their $170 million figure to sell the Coyotes. They sold the Thrashers to True North for $110 million + a $60 million relocation fee about a year ago. As we all know, Bettman is a stubborn coot.

Coot wasn't the 'C' word I was thinking...

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's trying to hang on until Quebec City is ready. I can't really think of a city that pops out more than they do. Kansas City's already been fucked.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I don't buy it. America West Arena never had any problems getting attendance for Suns games and fans seem to do alright getting out to Glendale for Cardinals games. Ponicks just isn't a hockey market. It's time for Bettman to face up to the fact that putting a team there was a bad idea and it resulted in a failure. Time to cut ties (and losses) and move on. There is no magical savior, no instant fanbase that's gonna come out of the woodwork. It just won't happen.

attendance was OK when the Coyotes arena was downtown.

the big point about Cardinals games is that it's on a weekend, so people can (and do) make a day of it. There is tons of parking out by the entertainment complex, and plenty of tailgating.
the distance isn't that great from Scottsdale, for example, but doing it in rush hour traffic is another matter altogether

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
attendance was OK when the Coyotes arena was downtown.

the big point about Cardinals games is that it's on a weekend, so people can (and do) make a day of it. There is tons of parking out by the entertainment complex, and plenty of tailgating.
the distance isn't that great from Scottsdale, for example, but doing it in rush hour traffic is another matter altogether

I did it in rush hour traffic. It was awful. And I came from Tucson and missed most of the Phoenix traffic.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy it. America West Arena never had any problems getting attendance for Suns games and fans seem to do alright getting out to Glendale for Cardinals games. Ponicks just isn't a hockey market. It's time for Bettman to face up to the fact that putting a team there was a bad idea and it resulted in a failure. Time to cut ties (and losses) and move on. There is no magical savior, no instant fanbase that's gonna come out of the woodwork. It just won't happen.

As Puck said, Cardinals' games are on weekends. Specifically, they're Sundays at 1.

I live in Tucson, which is 2 hours away from Phoenix, and when we went to the Cards' game, we got back at like 7.

We got back at 2 AM after the Coyotes' game. On a Thursday night.

That's a huge difference. And if I had kids in school, I probably wouldn't have been at that game.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Puck said, Cardinals' games are on weekends. Specifically, they're Sundays at 1.

I live in Tucson, which is 2 hours away from Phoenix, and when we went to the Cards' game, we got back at like 7.

We got back at 2 AM after the Coyotes' game. On a Thursday night.

That's a huge difference. And if I had kids in school, I probably wouldn't have been at that game.

That's why I think the biggest problem the Coyotes have is the location of the arena. It's just a pain in the butt to get their & after the game the drive home is just too long, especially on a weeknight.

sabre0917

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My parents own a second home in Scottsdale Arizona; which is just outside the downtown area. I have been to Yotes, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and Suns games before. The problem really isn’t too much about the drive since Phoenix is the 4th largest city in the USA and if it was in Canada it would be the biggest; it’s huge. No one is a local! You will find more Bills/Sabres/Steelers/Rangers/Yanks?...Etc fans then any Arizona fan. Yes the whole complex in Glendale is a little strange (Cant tailgate at a Cardinals game and if you don’t have season tickets you have to park at a local high school and take a bus to the game) but it has so much going for it. That city and area is growing faster than any city in the US minus Las Vegas. I really do hope things would work out for them but it just seems no one cares since no one will drop their usual team. I know I wouldn’t if I ever moved there. I think it just comes down to “No history”.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents own a second home in Scottsdale Arizona; which is just outside the downtown area. I have been to Yotes, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, and Suns games before. The problem really isn’t too much about the drive since Phoenix is the 4th largest city in the USA and if it was in Canada it would be the biggest; it’s huge. No one is a local! You will find more Bills/Sabres/Steelers/Rangers/Yanks?...Etc fans then any Arizona fan. Yes the whole complex in Glendale is a little strange (Cant tailgate at a Cardinals game and if you don’t have season tickets you have to park at a local high school and take a bus to the game) but it has so much going for it. That city and area is growing faster than any city in the US minus Las Vegas. I really do hope things would work out for them but it just seems no one cares since no one will drop their usual team. I know I wouldn’t if I ever moved there. I think it just comes down to “No history”.

That's a good point. I've noticed in particular a ton of Pittsburgh sports fans here. There's at least one person wearing a Steelers shirt on every bus I take.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really is tiresome. At what point do you just cut your losses and move to a more profitable city? They've all been mentioned, Seattle, Hamilton, Quebec City, etc. All make so much more sense than the desert.

2 words.....Birmingham Alabama. Zero sports teams to compete with in the city. AMIRITE?!?!!!

sabre0917

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That's a good point. I've noticed in particular a ton of Pittsburgh sports fans here. There's at least one person wearing a Steelers shirt on every bus I take.

Speaking of that. A few years ago when the Bills were trying to make the playoffs, I went to a local bar to watch the game, and wouldn't you know it was full of Bills and Steelers fans. No one was in there with a Cardinals Jersey. Too bad the steelers won :'(

sabre0917

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just look at a map, the complex is designed well. Its sitting right off of route 101 and their are a ton of houses built/being built right around it. It took me about 20-30 mins to get to the stadium from scottsdale. Phoenix is a spread out city.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the Boston Pizza guy is being coy about maybe buying the team (his son is Yotes Ass't GM)
skip to 9:00 mark -> Strombo | INTERVIEW: Jim Treliving | CBC Television

Jim's out

Jim Treliving ‏ @JTreliving
On TV last week I was asked about the future of the# NHL Coyotes This exchange has led 2 some questions about my interest in buying the team

Jim Treliving ‏ @JTreliving
I want to be clear that I am not currently involved in any plan to buy the Coyotes and I do not have any information about their future.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a savvy move by Jim...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Media reports out of Glendale have Greg Jamison moving closer and closer to getting a deal done. How realistically close he actually is to a deal is anyone's guess.