• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Glendale had little option but to vote yes, but this basically buys them five years. Why do I think we'll be right back rehashing this story in 2018-2019?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did i hear correctly .. the company doing the arena management that will be paid $15 shmill per is owned by Ed Snyder?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did i hear correctly .. the company doing the arena management that will be paid $15 shmill per is owned by Ed Snyder?

I am going to assume that the concessions are all Germy Jacobs' as well.

There's gotta be some way we can make Illitch some money too.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thrashers either.

He really didn't do much when the Pens threatened either. Mario and Pittsburgh politicians saved that one.

He has to own land in AZ. It's the only explanation.

What a clusterfuck.

He sure as hell wouldn't have taken over any of the other teams. Thrashers moved over freaking night. Mario was willing to play hard ball, thank God. There's really no explanation that isn't completely corrupt.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sure as hell wouldn't have taken over any of the other teams. Thrashers moved over freaking night. Mario was willing to play hard ball, thank God. There's really no explanation that isn't completely corrupt.

this team is a fucking LOCK to win the Cup in the next five years with the way this is going. I may start dropping a couple hundred bucks on the Coyotes to win it all each year for the next 5 years.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see another 1899 Cleveland Spiders situation. Although, the Coyotes' attendance is already approaching the "not financially worth it for visiting teams to play there" territory...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some ways, I'm glad this happened as it seems to be following the Bettman/Stern/Silver screenplay. Seattle will be awarded a NBA team in the next year or two and will start construction on a new arena which will house both a NBA and NHL team. Quebec City continues construction on their arena and Markham Ontario is doing the same. Relocation to Seattle and expansion to Quebec City and Toronto (Markham) within the next five years? Sounds good to me. In the meantime, a trip to Phoenix for golf in March and hockey is pretty sweet as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some ways, I'm glad this happened as it seems to be following the Bettman/Stern/Silver screenplay. Seattle will be awarded a NBA team in the next year or two and will start construction on a new arena which will house both a NBA and NHL team. Quebec City continues construction on their arena and Markham Ontario is doing the same. Relocation to Seattle and expansion to Quebec City and Toronto (Markham) within the next five years? Sounds good to me. In the meantime, a trip to Phoenix for golf in March and hockey is pretty sweet as well.

This very well may be a case of a new location simply not being ready yet, hence the 5-year out clause. If they actually start doing well, it's a win. But in the meantime, a new market can be selected based on the merits of their completed infrastructures instead of the promise of new ones.

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know that the league is loaning them $85 million in order to help them buy it. The whole thing is really stupid.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Mexican food....and tequila

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's definitely something up as the lease was approved weeks ago and there is no reason for them to push the sale all the way up to the deadline. However with the sale price of the Coyotes being $170M and RSE receiving $205M in loans, I'm not sure what the issue is. It'll be freaking hilarious if the sale falls through and RSE drops out of this.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,837.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it over?!?!

NHL finalizes sale of Coyotes to Gosbee, LeBlanc

The Phoenix Coyotes' ownership saga is over.

The NHL announced the sale of the team to Canadian-led owners was finalized after it was approved by the board of governors Monday.

Once the board of governors voted to approve the sale to Anthony LeBlanc, George Gosbee and Renaissance Sports & Entertainment, that terminated the league's ownership of the Coyotes. The NHL had owned the team for almost four years.

"To our fans and partners in the Valley, thank you for your continued loyalty, commitment and patience for the Coyotes," Gosbee said in a statement. "The future looks bright for our franchise."

The NHL sold the Coyotes to Renaissance for US$170 million, though there was no certainty about the deal until the city of Glendale, Arizona, completed a lease agreement in early July.

"If (the city council) voted it down, this was the end of the road," LeBlanc said at the time.

Instead, the Coyotes have a 15-year lease at Jobing.com Arena.

"The National Hockey League believes in Arizona as an NHL market and that these new owners can provide the Coyotes the opportunity to secure a stable, long-term future in Glendale," commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement.

"We thank Mike Nealy, Don Maloney, Dave Tippett, team captain Shane Doan and all the players and staff for consistently going 'above and beyond' on behalf of the franchise during this long and complex process."