• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will play next season Im sure of it. unless the NHL has been working on something else for a while now

\also

I am in Indianapolis in July for a convention that my wife is going to. Whats cool in the downtown (assuming you have lived or live there judging by your name and Logo :D)

Indy is a very cool city. (not that you're talking to me, but hey, I've been there plenty) Catch an Indians game if you can, they're actually raking this year (yeayyy for the future Pirates!), plenty to do at Circle Center, some reallllly good steakhouses down there too. NCAA museum (I can't spell that word...ever), Native museum, Indy Zoo is cool...heck, I went to the children's museum and liked it. For a good bar scene there's Broadripple as well.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indy is a very cool city. (not that you're talking to me, but hey, I've been there plenty) Catch an Indians game if you can, they're actually raking this year (yeayyy for the future Pirates!), plenty to do at Circle Center, some reallllly good steakhouses down there too. NCAA museum (I can't spell that word...ever), Native museum, Indy Zoo is cool...heck, I went to the children's museum and liked it. For a good bar scene there's Broadripple as well.

i welcome all who have been there to weigh in thanks.

what about Craft Beer? any good spots?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quebec City is really the only place that I could see taking them on so quickly. With a concrete plan for a new place, they have the fanbase/support, could pay the fee. I just don't think the NHL could handle putting a team in Seattle with that much unknown. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but they can't stay in PHX if this falls through, even for the year, right? The lease is already up?

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will play next season Im sure of it. unless the NHL has been working on something else for a while now

\also

I am in Indianapolis in July for a convention that my wife is going to. Whats cool in the downtown (assuming you have lived or live there judging by your name and Logo :D)

Yep: Most of my life. :)

I moved to Ft. Wayne four years ago to follow my job.

A trip to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum is always fun (at least for gearheads like me!) & inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i welcome all who have been there to weigh in thanks.

what about Craft Beer? any good spots?

Hmmm...I mean, of my four years in the area only about 1 of 'em was spent being able to drink, haha. I just hit up a pub in the area, wasn't craft. I'm trying to think if I know of any...there are some swanky areas North of the city (Carmel is looooaddded), so I'm sure there'd be pickin's there.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not when the league is already counting on a half billion dollars on expansion fees. Kansas City has a spanky new arena, but they don't seem to want a NHL team. Key Arena is a temporary solution until Seattle builds a new arena, but they want a firm commitment of a NBA team before construction starts. Quebec City continues building their new arena. I guess a team could play out of the Colisee, but that screws up the NHL realignment plans (unless they give Phoenix/Quebec the Winnipeg treatment)

Seems like Bettman and Mario burned the hell out of that bridge. Plus the mayor acts like a teenager on Twitter.

Looking more and more like we'll have 29 teams next season, as the (whatever the former Coyotes organization will be named) are 'mothballed', pending the completion of their new home.

That would be Greaaaaat. Even bigger disparity between the number of teams in the East vs West. Make the playoff odds suck even MORE than they do now.

Jesus Christ, Bettman. Just fucking die already.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not when the league is already counting on a half billion dollars on expansion fees. Kansas City has a spanky new arena, but they don't seem to want a NHL team. Key Arena is a temporary solution until Seattle builds a new arena, but they want a firm commitment of a NBA team before construction starts. Quebec City continues building their new arena. I guess a team could play out of the Colisee, but that screws up the NHL realignment plans (unless they give Phoenix/Quebec the Winnipeg treatment)

I've heard rumors (no sources so I don't know if it's true or not) that the potential Seattle ownership has had a lot of dealings with Chris Hansen and the city council and that they might be willing to restructure the MOU to get the arena built if Seattle does get the Coyotes. Like I said I don't have a clue if it's actually true, but I'd like to think that there's been a lot of maneuvering going on behind the scenes since I really want Seattle to get an NHL team. We'll see what happens I guess.

Also how ironic would it be that when Key Arena was remodeled 18 years ago the owner of the Sonics purposefully made it bad for hockey to keep the NHL away and in 2013 we could be looking at Key Arena hosting only the NHL and no NBA.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Looking more and more like we'll have 29 teams next season, as the (whatever the former Coyotes organization will be named) are 'mothballed', pending the completion of their new home.

that will absolutely not happen. no way in hell NHLPA lets them mothball 50 NHL contracts right after the lockout.
NHL will pick up the bill (and escrow the players to the max) before they allowed a team to go dark for a season.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quebec City is really the only place that I could see taking them on so quickly. With a concrete plan for a new place, they have the fanbase/support, could pay the fee. I just don't think the NHL could handle putting a team in Seattle with that much unknown. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but they can't stay in PHX if this falls through, even for the year, right? The lease is already up?

Las Vegas could take them tomorrow. They have the MGM Garden that the Kings play a game in every preseason. Also the Thomas and Mack seats 18k + and AEG is building an arena even bigger that could hold hockey. It keep the team in the area as a stall until they get their act together. (ok I laughed as I typed that). Vegas would have fan interest for a few years as the locals went to the new event and the hockey fans from elsewhere went to Vegas to see their team and party.
After a few years the novelty would wear off and we could be back to Phx issues but it could work for a short while.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Las Vegas could take them tomorrow. They have the MGM Garden that the Kings play a game in every preseason. Also the Thomas and Mack seats 18k + and AEG is building an arena even bigger that could hold hockey. It keep the team in the area as a stall until they get their act together. (ok I laughed as I typed that). Vegas would have fan interest for a few years as the locals went to the new event and the hockey fans from elsewhere went to Vegas to see their team and party.
After a few years the novelty would wear off and we could be back to Phx issues but it could work for a short while.

Which is exactly why they won't go to Vegas. They need a permanent home.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm buyin the team and moving them to the Wildwood Convention Center. Any of the NJ or Philly boys want in?

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Milwaukee, Portland, Houston, Kansas City and Oklahoma city also have arenas that could take them too. Seattle has an arena that "will do". There are probably tons more. Hell, Columbus has a second 17,000 seat arena where the Buckeyes play their basketball and hockey games.

But the league clearly isn't into doing anything that makes sense. They want to keep fucking that dog out in the desert.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly why they won't go to Vegas. They need a permanent home.

I don't think they do. The league doesn't want to move them to Quebec for the same reason they don't want Toronto2. Too much money in expansion fees to be made. Their first choice is to keep the team in Phoenix. That leaves Seattle, Quebec, Toronto open for expansion. Three bidders for two teams is better than two for two. The idea of Vegas is that they can set it up to go back to Phoenix or keep it in Vegas which sould still be a better market than Phoenix. I don't think Vegas wants a team any more than KC does. I do think that the league will look there before Quebec.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like Bettman and Mario burned the hell out of that bridge. Plus the mayor acts like a teenager on Twitter.

That would be Greaaaaat. Even bigger disparity between the number of teams in the East vs West. Make the playoff odds suck even MORE than they do now.

Jesus Christ, Bettman. Just fucking die already.

:lol:

Well, there is a Saddledome we could drown him in right now. Too soon?

Seriously though we blindfold him and tell him the Flames are ready to relocate to Biloxi. All he has to do walk through this door and sign the Flames' life away. We nudge him out of the owner's box into the the swirling cauldron that is the Saddledome playing surface right now. Done.

He'd be so excited at a chance to grow the game with the gatorhuntin' population that he'd "jump" at the chance.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't they just have a draft of All Coyotes players & give Seattle an expansion team next year? I think this would be the easiest move & best for everyone involved.
NHLPA would not want to shrink a team even for a year
13 teams in the West 16 in the East
With the cap coming down no one could afford many of the players.
No need to contract when Vegas could host them for two years.

I know I keep playing the Vegas card. I just think it would be funny if they really did it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milwaukee, Portland, Houston, Kansas City and Oklahoma city also have arenas that could take them too. Seattle has an arena that "will do". There are probably tons more. Hell, Columbus has a second 17,000 seat arena where the Buckeyes play their basketball and hockey games.

But the league clearly isn't into doing anything that makes sense. They want to keep fucking that dog out in the desert.

I think Milwaukee would actually be a good choice. The arena is obviously a viable option since there's already an AHL team playing there. Though that does present a different problem, since I don't think Milwaukee can support an N and an A team.

The city is pretty centrally located between Madison - where there's obviously a big hockey draw for the Badgers - and Chicago. In fact, some of the norther 'burbs of Chicago could probably get into downtown Milwaukee for a game faster than they could get to United Center. Probably cheaper too.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't they just have a draft of All Coyotes players & give Seattle an expansion team next year? I think this would be the easiest move & best for everyone involved.

so you would blow up the coyotes across the league and then you would have an expansion draft so the seattle team is even worse than just moving the coyotes there? that seems like alot of wasted time just move them to seattle and boom the team is there.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you would blow up the coyotes across the league and then you would have an expansion draft so the seattle team is even worse than just moving the coyotes there? that seems like alot of wasted time just move them to seattle and boom the team is there.

I have no problem with that. I was under the impression the arena in Seattle won't work for hockey.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with that. I was under the impression the arena in Seattle won't work for hockey.

The arena works fine for hockey. It doesn't work for skyboxes.