• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asked about Seattle as a potential NHL market in general, Bettman spoke highly.

“The research I’ve seen tells me that it would be a very strong hockey market,” Bettman said. “I haven’t looked at it in detail, but it’s all anecdotal and third hand. Obviously if there were a team in Seattle, it might foster a pretty decent rivalry with the northern neighbor, namely Vancouver.”

There was a pause and awkward silence after that. Bettman seemed to realize how that might come across, not only because of the Coyotes, but because of a new realignment of the league that seems destined for 32 teams.

“But that doesn’t mean that anybody should take from that comment that we’re necessarily focused on Seattle or we’re planning on expanding there,” Bettman added quickly. “You asked the question about Seattle. I wouldn’t have raised it. But it’s obviously an interesting market.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asked about Seattle as a potential NHL market in general, Bettman spoke highly.

“The research I’ve seen tells me that it would be a very strong hockey market,” Bettman said. “I haven’t looked at it in detail, but it’s all anecdotal and third hand. Obviously if there were a team in Seattle, it might foster a pretty decent rivalry with the northern neighbor, namely Vancouver.”

There was a pause and awkward silence after that. Bettman seemed to realize how that might come across, not only because of the Coyotes, but because of a new realignment of the league that seems destined for 32 teams.

“But that doesn’t mean that anybody should take from that comment that we’re necessarily focused on Seattle or we’re planning on expanding there,” Bettman added quickly. “You asked the question about Seattle. I wouldn’t have raised it. But it’s obviously an interesting market.

are you not the comissioner of a league that is looking at moving there? shouldn't you maybe look at it in detail Gary?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix Coyotes double TV ratings from last season - Phoenix Business Journal

Maybe it's just me, but a rise from just over 7,000 households to 16,000 households shouldn't be cause for celebration, should it?

/Also, the tv numbers in Denver and Florida are scary.

Columbus would be doing better if our "Local" sports channel wasn't always punting Jackets games for Cavaliers, Indians and Reds games.

Local does not mean what you think it means, jackass.

It's Fox Sports Ohio. Needs to be Fox Sports Columbus. I don't worry too much because when they have the Former Lebrons on one channel and the Reds on another, they show the broadcast on Center Ice too. So I see it.

Not everyone has that.

Come to think of it, this probably explains why Rooster's is so packed on Game Night. Well, that and wings served by college girls in tight shirts.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the article in dash's post:

The group would also be aided by added provisions in the league’s new collective bargaining agreement that help teams in emerging markets by removing some of the revenue sharing restrictions placed on them in the previous plans

Hmmm, okay; and the Coyotes have been in town for how long now??

Are Columbus & Nashville taking advantage of this? - Do Winnipeg & Minny qualify?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
first time I've heard this kind of language from official channels.

deputy commissioner Bill Daly told thn.com at the NHL draft lottery Monday night that there is basically no guarantee for either the short- or long-term future of the Coyotes. He said he thinks it’s “better than 50-50” that the Coyotes will be playing in Phoenix next season, but acknowledged, “it’s not set in stone.”
Future of Coyotes in Phoenix 'not set in stone' - The Hockey News

/'I was misquoted' backpeddling in 3..2..

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first time I've heard this kind of language from official channels.

deputy commissioner Bill Daly told thn.com at the NHL draft lottery Monday night that there is basically no guarantee for either the short- or long-term future of the Coyotes. He said he thinks it’s “better than 50-50” that the Coyotes will be playing in Phoenix next season, but acknowledged, “it’s not set in stone.”
Future of Coyotes in Phoenix 'not set in stone' - The Hockey News

/'I was misquoted' backpeddling in 3..2..

Daly said the same thing monday on hockey central at noon on sportsnet monday

Its calculated

I see it as the nhl putting pressure on glendale to give this new potential ownership group a sweetheart lease deal

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they haven't relocated this damn team yet?

Not yet and Dave Tippett may be looking to move to greener pastures (or stick if Pastor has plenty of green)

Tippett has repeatedly made it plain he wants to remain in Phoenix, where he and his wife, Wendy, just built a home. But the Coyotes’ continued ownership saga, and the low-budget restraints it has placed on him and soon-to-be free agent GM Don Maloney over the past four seasons have reached a boiling point because both are tired of entering each season with an undermanned roster.

“We have a lot of players that work hard — in the guts of the game, they’re good players,” Tippett said recently. “But at some point, we need some difference-makers.”

“I have not and will not talk to any other organization until my contract has expired,” he wrote. “I am still hopeful there is a resolution in Phoenix.”

If there is not by July 1, however, Tippett has made it clear he will do what he must.

“Obviously, they have to have an ownership in place here,” he said. “If a new owner comes in and says, ‘Hey, we’re going to continue to build this,’ I’d love to talk to him, but if there’s nobody in place by July 1, I have to look at other options.

Avalanche interested in Coyotes' Tippett?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS now Bill Daly denied that Quebecor and the NHL are in talks for the Coyotes. #RDS

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS now Bill Daly denied that Quebecor and the NHL are in talks for the Coyotes. #RDS

Take one more team out of the west and into the east? Ugh.

I have a question, with all the talk of viable NHL cities being places like Vegas, Seattle, Portland, etc...

Why isn't Milwaukee considered? Central time zone, legendary sports fans, a true "hockey" state. They have an arena that holds 17k for hockey.

Move the Yotes to Seattle and the Panthers to Milwaukee.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle is pretty much a dead option now that the NBA rejected the SactoKings sale to Chris Hansen ... no NBA team for the forseeable future means no new arena being built

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to see something definitively happen in the next week or so (i.e. by May 31st). It was on May 31st, 2011 that True North announced the purchase and relocation of the Thrashers to Winnipeg.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So quebecor is denying they r talking to the nhl about the coyotes

/dust off the nordiques jerseys

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
270.gif

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take one more team out of the west and into the east? Ugh.

I have a question, with all the talk of viable NHL cities being places like Vegas, Seattle, Portland, etc...

Why isn't Milwaukee considered? Central time zone, legendary sports fans, a true "hockey" state. They have an arena that holds 17k for hockey.

Move the Yotes to Seattle and the Panthers to Milwaukee.

Milwaukee? They are barely hanging on to their NBA team. As for Seattle, as someone else said earlier, with the Kings deal falling through, the incentive for a new arena is all but gone from a city standpoint....If the Yotes move anywhere it will likely be Quebec City