• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if true, there's not a lot of love with the current Glendale mayor and council members to keep the Coyotes in Glendale. Who is the most ready (and viable) for a NHL team next season? I'd say Quebec City, which would allow for Winnipeg to move to the Western Conference and probably then have a serious discussion about NHL re-alignment.

Report: Jamison denied lease deal extension for Coyotes

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Doan talk to Jamison before agreeing to sign that new contract with the Coyotes? Not that I feel much sympathy for Shane (I mean he'll end up getting his money one way or the other), but it certainly looks like Jamison pulled a fast one on Doaner.

Would you go so far as to say that Shane got....DOANED?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FTA:
Quebec, the former home of the Colorado Avalanche, has also been mentioned as a viable place for the Coyotes to go. It is. Quebec City has broken ground on a new arena. But NHL commissioner Gary Bettman wants the league to be coast-to-coast. And with Jets moving from Atlanta to Winnipeg last season the NHL doesn’t want its sponsors and U.S. television partner, NBC Sports, thinking the league is contracting geographically.

Would I be totally crazy in thinking they get more from Canadian sponsors anyhow than US ones? And it's not like there's that big of a void if Phoenix leaves anyhow, as you've still got two teams in SoCal and then Dallas. And aside from Phoenix nobody lives down there anyhow.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want a team
They have an arena until they build a new one
They have a lot of hockey fans that visit there
It would be like the NHL to put one failing team into another city where it would also fail
So Vegas baby

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want a team
They have an arena until they build a new one
They have a lot of hockey fans that visit there
It would be like the NHL to put one failing team into another city where it would also fail
So Vegas baby

I'm down Dave.

/I'd prefer Seattle, but Vegas is a fine plan B.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to toot my own horn, but this is from earlier in the thread (posted by me on June 4th, 2012)

I'm usually not the cynical type, but this has Ice Edge part deux written all over it. There is considerable talk out there that Jamison doesn't even have investors lined up yet. However, that didn't stop Bettman from going in front of the mic and saying he expects a deal to be finalized and Glendale City Council will fall for it again hook, line, and sinker (although to be fair, at this point, they really don't have much of a choice).

Yes, they'll have the Coyotes in Glendale for one more season and we'll get updates saying the deal is moving forward and investors are lining up to keep the team in Glendale long term. Then, all of a sudden, say around early February 2013, the investors have suddenly all disappeared and the future for the Coyotes in Glendale looks bleak again. Jamison for all his hard work will likely get a good chance to own the Seattle Metropolitans in their brand spanking new building in 2014-2015 (they can play the 2013-2014 season in Key Arena).

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excerpt of a Shane Doan radio interview on Sept. 6th, 2012:

Bickley: On a scale of one to 10, where is your optimism at?

Doan: I'm probably always going to remain very optimistic. Maybe to a fault, but I'm very optimistic that it's going to get done in the next few days. People always say, 'They've been telling you the same thing for three years.' It's different now. Mr. Jamison has been cleared by the league. He has the money in escrow. The lease agreement was done already once, so the core issues of it are done. Everything's in place. We just need the city to sign off on it because everything else is done. And the city, obviously the deal with the city has been worked and talked about so much and the city has been helping out with keeping the Coyotes here and they've done so much. It's not like anyone's saying it's up to them, but that's the last piece. If that can get done, then everything is really in place for this franchise not just to survive but flourish and I'm excited about that.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coy...html?sf5952987=1&nclick_check=1#ixzz2JbGImRCO

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to toot my own horn

toot_own_horn.gif

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Are they really that naive? I mean, I'm not that clever and I pretty much knew Jamison didn't have/wouldn't raise the funds months ago.
it's because not enough people tweeted "I Believe"
Doan: It's different now. Mr. Jamison has been cleared by the league. He has the money in escrow. The lease agreement was done already once, so the core issues of it are done. [/I]

if Doan signed his contract on the basis of that, then someone's got some 'splainin' to do.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the radio Bob Mac said before signing his deal Doan/his agent looked into whether a clause could be written into the contract that would see him become a free agent if the team was not sold to Jamison ... cba standard player contract does not allow for this type of clause

like Bobmac said, it was Doans call ... he put his faith in Jamison ... he made the wrong call

If the team moves & Doan asks to be traded would they say no? I doubt it. However, how many teams are going to want his contract?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's because not enough people tweeted "I Believe"

Im lending this song to the good people of Glendale

/actually they can keep it

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm down Dave.

/I'd prefer Seattle, but Vegas is a fine plan B.

I disagree. Betting scandals have already hit the league and I am not at all crazy about the idea of hockey becoming akin to a Penn and Teller show.

Do well at the craps table and get comp'ed two tickets. I don't see how that improves the state of the sport at all. The economy in Las Vegas is total shit, so no "locals" (if there even are any) will be going to games. Leaving sideshow as the only way to fill the arena.

Fuck Vegas.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the meantime, a source said the NHL has an agreement with Glendale to manage Jobing.com Arena for $1-million per month for the rest of the season. Weiers said there is a deal with the NHL which can be transferred to a new owner but he refused to confirm the amount.

As a result, the sale is once again in limbo with the NHL faced with paying another season of losses for the team. What makes this worse for the NHL is it has no deal with Glendale to collect another $25-million payment. That agreement expired at the end of last season and the NHL had hoped to sell the team to Jamison by the start of this season.

By now, the league’s cost for the Coyotes are well north of $200-million. The league bought the Coyotes out of bankruptcy in October of 2009 for $128-million.

The two big problems for any prospective buyer is NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will not budge on his demand of $170-million for the team because he needs to recoup as much of the league’s money as possible, and Glendale council is no longer willing to hand over hundreds of millions of dollars in management fees as part of the lease.

LeBlanc said without a similar lease to the one Jamison negotiated no buyer can make the Coyotes sale work given the team’s annual losses.

Jamison still trying to salvage Coyotes deal with deadline hours away - The Globe and Mail

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know the crazy thing here is that I would love a team in VEgas. I dont think Id ever take it seriously but how fucking fun would it be to do road trips there. holy hell would I have a good time and I would go to every game I could when Im in vegas which is genrally 3 times a year during hockey season I would probably add all canuck trips as well

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know the crazy thing here is that I would love a team in VEgas. I dont think Id ever take it seriously but how fucking fun would it be to do road trips there. holy hell would I have a good time and I would go to every game I could when Im in vegas which is genrally 3 times a year during hockey season I would probably add all canuck trips as well

Exactly the same reasons I would be down for a trip to Vegas Matty...