• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the Rose Garden viable for NHL hockey? If so I think Portland would support an NHL team. The only time I can remember when the Blazers didn't draw well was when the fans were fed up with the players off the court issues.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the Rose Garden viable for NHL hockey? If so I think Portland would support an NHL team. The only time I can remember when the Blazers didn't draw well was when the fans were fed up with the players off the court issues.

i think its a tough ask to go from paying $20 for the average whl ticket to maybe $60 for the average nhl ticket

no doubt they support hockey in that town ... but will they pay the nhl ticket 41 times a year

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think its a tough ask to go from paying $20 for the average whl ticket to maybe $60 for the average nhl ticket

no doubt they support hockey in that town ... but will they pay the nhl ticket 41 times a year

They've stuck with the Blazers through thick & thin. I mean this is an organizaton that passed on Jordan & Durant. I think it could work, especially if Allen gets involved in some way.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news: Phoenix shutout the Preds 4-0 tonight

Bad news: Attendance: 8,581 (50.1% full)

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They need to build the Yotes a 9,500 seat arena in downtown and they'll be set.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's really sad is Mexico will play Denmark in an exhibition Soccer game on Thursday in Glendale. They've probably sold it out.:L

I could understand if it was an USA soccer game, but not Mexico. They shouldn't be playing their games here. They have plenty of soccer stadiums in their own country.

By the way Denmark's National Soccer team was at the game tonight. They were actually joking about Boedker buying all the tickets for the team. They weren't in the cheap seats either.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a selfish perspective, they could play in Key Arena (not ideal, but it's temporary) while waiting for the new arena to be built in Seattle.

Edit: Not sure about 5 or 6 viable markets, maybe 2 or 3 at most (and a 2nd Toronto team will be an expansion team).

If the Coyotes were going to move to Seattle this year I think playing in the Tacoma Dome (after some minor renovations) would be the better way to go. I can't see any way to have an NHL team play in Key Arena without demolishing the entire thing. It is awful. The rink actually goes under some of the seats, I kid you not.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Coyotes were going to move to Seattle this year I think playing in the Tacoma Dome (after some minor renovations) would be the better way to go. I can't see any way to have an NHL team play in Key Arena without demolishing the entire thing. It is awful. The rink actually goes under some of the seats, I kid you not.

Steve Miller would approve of this move.

/I went from Phoenix Arizona all the way to Tacoma...

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think they (city/county) want to spend the money for a 2 year lease deal ... story below says the dome needs major reno even to be able to meet pro standards on a temporary/short term basis

Nonetheless, the consultants saw the scenario through, determining how much upgrading the Dome to major sports standards would cost.
The estimate: $295 million, with annual debt service amounting to about $15 million for 25 years. After revenue and cost-sharing with a pro-sports tenant and new event-generated tax revenues, the city would still have to find about $3 million per year.
With a pro sports team in town, the number of events at the Dome would double – from about 70 annually now to 140. Attendance also would climb, from about 545,000 per year to about 1.3 million. And Dome events would generate $238 million to Tacoma businesses annually compared with about $42 million now.
But the more likely scenario is forgetting about the pro-sports dream and just enhancing what Tacoma already has: A civic arena that hosts concerts, entertainment and community events.
Renovations for that option come to about $184 million. Of that, consultants said about $103 million fall into priority upgrades, including overhauls of the seating bowl, back of house interiors and the adjoining exhibition hall, plus adding 1,000 new parking spaces.
The number of events under the “civic arena” option would rise to about 95 per year, with annual attendance seeing a slight bump, too. The benefit to local businesses would increase by about $7 million annually, the study said.

Read more here: NBA, NHL in Tacoma? Not likely at the Dome, consultant tells council | NBA - The News Tribune

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's really sad is Mexico will play Denmark in an exhibition Soccer game on Thursday in Glendale. They've probably sold it out.:L

I could understand if it was an USA soccer game, but not Mexico. They shouldn't be playing their games here. They have plenty of soccer stadiums in their own country.

By the way Denmark's National Soccer team was at the game tonight. They were actually joking about Boedker buying all the tickets for the team. They weren't in the cheap seats either.

Funny you mention that. I went to a Mexico-USA game about 5 years ago at Giants Stadium, out of the 80,000ish fans there, at least, minimum, 65,000 were rooting for Mexico. The commercials and videos on the big screens were in Spanish, at the souvenier stands there were 5 Mexico jerseys for every USA. Guarantee that game is sold out, and from a business stand point it's brialliant.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gah, beat me to it.

I dont think they (city/county) want to spend the money for a 2 year lease deal ... story below says the dome needs major reno even to be able to meet pro standards on a temporary/short term basis

Nonetheless, the consultants saw the scenario through, determining how much upgrading the Dome to major sports standards would cost.
The estimate: $295 million, with annual debt service amounting to about $15 million for 25 years. After revenue and cost-sharing with a pro-sports tenant and new event-generated tax revenues, the city would still have to find about $3 million per year.
With a pro sports team in town, the number of events at the Dome would double – from about 70 annually now to 140. Attendance also would climb, from about 545,000 per year to about 1.3 million. And Dome events would generate $238 million to Tacoma businesses annually compared with about $42 million now.
But the more likely scenario is forgetting about the pro-sports dream and just enhancing what Tacoma already has: A civic arena that hosts concerts, entertainment and community events.
Renovations for that option come to about $184 million. Of that, consultants said about $103 million fall into priority upgrades, including overhauls of the seating bowl, back of house interiors and the adjoining exhibition hall, plus adding 1,000 new parking spaces.
The number of events under the “civic arena” option would rise to about 95 per year, with annual attendance seeing a slight bump, too. The benefit to local businesses would increase by about $7 million annually, the study said.

Read more here: NBA, NHL in Tacoma? Not likely at the Dome, consultant tells council | NBA - The News Tribune

Yeah, they would need to have someone like Chris Hansen with the Sonics. He'll be footing the bill for the Key Arena upgrades when the new arena is being built. A new owner who would pay for the Tacoma Dome upgrades would definitely be necessary. But upgrading the dome would be easier/cheaper than completely re-doing Key Arena for just 2 years. I find it hard to believe the Tacoma Dome would really need a gigantic overhaul in the $300M range as stated above when it's just going to be a stopgap for the transition to the new arena, but I could very well be wrong about that. However I don't think it's gonna matter. My personal feeling is Seattle won't get an NHL team until after the new arena is finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mention that. I went to a Mexico-USA game about 5 years ago at Giants Stadium, out of the 80,000ish fans there, at least, minimum, 65,000 were rooting for Mexico. The commercials and videos on the big screens were in Spanish, at the souvenier stands there were 5 Mexico jerseys for every USA. Guarantee that game is sold out, and from a business stand point it's brialliant.

From a business standpoint that's fine & dandy. As an American I don't think this country should be hosting another country's soccer games.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a business standpoint that's fine & dandy. As an American I don't think this country should be hosting another country's soccer games.

Viva la raza...

/Coyotes should have gone after Scott Gomez to lure in those Mexican hockey fans.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing that Bettman is in Glendale today (and the NHL may lower the selling price for Jamison to purchase the team from the league). Stay tuned.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol he can barely afford this team so they lower the price. how in the hell will he afford to run it.

man this whole thing stinks

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol he can barely afford this team so they lower the price. how in the hell will he afford to run it.

man this whole thing stinks

This deal is doomed before it even happens. The league needs to wake up. Selling a team to someone who can't afford it is only going to prolong the agony.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Burnside‏@ESPN_Burnside
Barring dramatic, last-minute infusion of cash Greg Jamison won't meet Jan. 31 deadline to maintain lease agreement with City of Glendale.

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Scott Burnside‏@ESPN_Burnside
Barring dramatic, last-minute infusion of cash Greg Jamison won't meet Jan. 31 deadline to maintain lease agreement with City of Glendale.

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn

it's spelled "D O N E" :suds: