• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!! Why the people of Glendale put up with this crap is beyond me.

Because a large percentage of them are die hard hockey fans who would willingly sacrifice the city funds to keep the team in town?

Hahahahaha.

Seriously though, I have no idea. I would be pissed if I were a resident.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At a workshop Tuesday evening, City Council members had a heated debate about the proposed $320 million arena-management agreement with Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison. Ultimately, they decided to vote on the pact next week.

However, the interim city manager who helped renegotiate the pact said he would not recommend that city leaders approve it. Also, one council member did not say how she would vote on the deal.

On Tuesday night, Jamison said he is still prepared to buy the team.

“We fully intended to buy the team, but we are waiting for the vote and then we will move as quickly as we possibly can,” Jamison said.

While the Jamison deal may be in the long-term interest of the city, it would force Glendale to make steep cuts within five years, said interim City Manager Horatio Skeete.

It’s a “job well done, but we can’t afford it,” Skeete said of the city quest to keep the team.

Several new council members who oppose the current Coyotes deal, including Mayor-elect Jerry Weiers, have said they would like to get a chance to shape the proposal

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...spar-phoenix-coyotes-deal.html?nclick_check=1

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vote on the modified Jamison deal is scheduled for tonight (some of the council members voting are leaving office at the end of the year).

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
@bruce_arthur
Glendale city council approves a $320-million, 20-year arena deal for the Coyotes. Good luck with it, everyone.

@sportsnetmurph
Glendale votes in favour of 20-year, $320 mil arena mgmt deal with #Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison. He now must close w/NHL by Jan 31/13.

Jamieson declined to name who his investors were when asked. and they approved it anyways.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's appropriate that a lame duck council approves a lame duck franchise...

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I guess it's appropriate that a lame duck council approves a lame duck franchise...

the hearing was interrupted by a man quacking, who had to be removed. true story.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@bruce_arthur
Glendale city council approves a $320-million, 20-year arena deal for the Coyotes. Good luck with it, everyone.

@sportsnetmurph
Glendale votes in favour of 20-year, $320 mil arena mgmt deal with #Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison. He now must close w/NHL by Jan 31/13.

Jamieson declined to name who his investors were when asked. and they approved it anyways.

Of course they voted for it. The ones who were voted out of office think they won't have to pay a price for it if things turn out badly. What happened to Giffords says otherwise.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is gonna blow up. It always has and it's going to again. Sucks for the citizens of Glendale.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is gonna blow up. It always has and it's going to again. Sucks for the citizens of Glendale.

When a hockey team takes precedence over streets, sewers, parks, and libraries along with staffing of police and fire departments, then you really have problems.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I lived in Glendale, I'd take out a full page ad in the paper telling the city to lawyer up as the lawsuits will be forthcoming.

I'd want the city's finances audited by a third party and before I spent taxpayer money I'd want to know Jamison has the investors and money he claims he does. Look what happens when you give the franchise keys to a shady owner with little to no capital who is heavily leveraged (look at Frank McCourt and the Dodgers for reference).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think all you can really say is wow..

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
When a hockey team takes precedence over streets, sewers, parks, and libraries along with staffing of police and fire departments, then you really have problems.

especially when 95% of the tax-paying population of glendale couldn't give a shit about hockey.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the hockey team is at the forefront because of all the struggles of course but Glendale pinned their development hopes as a city on professional sports franchises and arenas/coliseums

let it be a warning to other cities ... DO NOT FOLLOW THE GLENDALE TEMPLATE lol

/maybe someone can find it (i cant) but i think it was the washington post that did a story (saw it again retweeted last night) in 2008 on what Glendale hoped to accomplish by hitching its wagon onto pro sports

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe somebody can explain to me the following:

If Jamison truly has the money in place, why does he need another 30-60 days to close the deal?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe somebody can explain to me the following:

If Jamison truly has the money in place, why does he need another 30-60 days to close the deal?

It's because he has the minimum amount of money, and he doesn't want to be so leveraged. I'm telling you, if the rest of the league doesn't get this guy's finances checked out, then the league is far more fucked up than most of us perceive it to be.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's because he has the minimum amount of money, and he doesn't want to be so leveraged. I'm telling you, if the rest of the league doesn't get this guy's finances checked out, then the league is far more fucked up than most of us perceive it to be.

we've seen this story before

/Im betting Jamisons nickname amongst friends is "pennyloafers"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess outgoing mayor Elaine Scruggs asked Jamison point blank to name his investors and Jamison refused to name them.

Business as usual as far as the NHL is concerned.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mayor-elect is pissed (and I can't blame him)

"I'm not overly happy with the decision made, but we'll take that decision and run with it the best we can," said Mayor-Elect Jerry Weiers.

He will replace Scruggs next year. He says the council should not have voted on this issue until the new members were sworn in.

"It is what it is, the council, the current council passed it. It's something I'm going to have to deal with," he said.

Not if Glendale resident Ken Jones gets his way.

"Go down to City Hall tomorrow and get our information to start a referendum to get this thing to a public vote," Jones said.

The Goldwater Institute has been very vocal about not supporting a taxpayer-funded team. Lawyers with the conservative public policy group have threatened legal action before.

CBS 5 News reached out to them today asking if they're going to challenge this current deal, they said, 'No comment."

http://www.kpho.com/story/20211492/coyotes-deal-not-sitting-well-with-oponents#.ULeW303kJMk.twitter

Last edited by a moderator: