• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard of any $ numbers for settling yet but saw this estimation:

Our estimated settlement value for the Deshaun Watson civil lawsuits is between $1.5 to $2.5 million for each plaintiff for a total of $33-55 million. The basis for this estimated settlement amount is spelled out in this post.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised as well, but that's not what I said exactly. Do you not agree with my comment that 6 games is very likely the minimum based on what the NFL suspension policy now seems to be:

"Violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault will result in a baseline six-game suspension without pay, with more if aggravating factors are present, such as the use of a weapon or a crime against a child. A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL."
Sure, but if it's only 6 the backlash from the public would ve loud, so I'd say 8 is minimum and it's unlikely that happens.

Odds are its more than 1 season and appeals bring it to that season.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but if it's only 6 the backlash from the public would ve loud, so I'd say 8 is minimum and it's unlikely that happens.

Agreed - I think the NFL overshoots their initial target knowing that it's a win-win. They look good for being "hard" on Watson's behavior - and they'll get the actual number of games/season that they target because whatever they hit him with is likely to be lowered.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But does the "NFL" even pick the initial suspension? The disciplinary officer picks the initial suspension, right? And then Goodell does whatever the Hell he wants. I would be surprised if Goodell decreases the original suspension unless it's really really high

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should be a season. You don't pay 20 different people over a million dollars each if you are innocent
This just shows how behind I am. I didn't realize he settled most of the cases yet. Or did that just happen?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all cases are settled I think the discipline follows shortly. If some are open it could drag on. If the settlement prohibits the victims from talking it could make a long suspension more difficult I would think :scratch:. Certainly there is enough out there already to give him as much as a year, two years, or whatever if that is what they want, but I think it is a little tougher if the women aren't available for the league to speak with than if they were available.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all cases are settled I think the discipline follows shortly. If some are open it could drag on. If the settlement prohibits the victims from talking it could make a long suspension more difficult I would think :scratch:. Certainly there is enough out there already to give him as much as a year, two years, or whatever if that is what they want, but I think it is a little tougher if the women aren't available for the league to speak with than if they were available.
Of course the settlements includes confidentiality about every thing. Still has 4 more to go and that includes the original case filed against Watson.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL already talked to most of these women, I think.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the NFL was going to do 8 games with 22 women, but an additional 4 made it a season+?
He probably assured the NFL that there were no further encounters that might come up. And then they came up. That kind of thing pisses them off.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised as well, but that's not what I said exactly. Do you not agree with my comment that 6 games is very likely the minimum based on what the NFL suspension policy now seems to be:

"Violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault will result in a baseline six-game suspension without pay, with more if aggravating factors are present, such as the use of a weapon or a crime against a child. A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL."
Based on this legalese....There is grounds to actually ban him from the league. I am assuming these are separate times that charges be brought against, probably criminal charges too. However, a second instance can get you banned. But 24 to 26 instances? I know there are things that keep this from falling into that category. But 24 to 26 can also make it fall back into this category of punishment.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL already talked to most of these women, I think.
They have had over a year so yeah I would think the NFL spoke to the women already. Wonder if the NFL knew Watson was going to settle these cases.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Twenty of the 24 lawsuits against Deshaun Watson have settled, according to the attorney representing the women who accused the Cleveland Browns quarterback of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior.

Attorney Tony Buzbee announced Tuesday that Ashley Solis' case against Watson, and the cases of three other unnamed women, have not settled.
Ashley Solis said her purpose in coming forward was to make sure Watson doesn't assault any other women. She may not think money is enough.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many saw him more then once and both sides can explain in court their story. Funny how you want to turn the conversation away from Watson and want to call out the victims. Think most of us heard enough to understand that Watson goal wasn't a massage when he made his appointments.
I'm willing to look at both sides of the issue. what's funny is you can only see one side and believe anything that supports that side.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ashley Solis said her purpose in coming forward was to make sure Watson doesn't assault any other women. She may not think money is enough.
Indeed, her case likely isn't getting settled.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have had over a year so yeah I would think the NFL spoke to the women already. Wonder if the NFL knew Watson was going to settle these cases.
Maybe....also wonder if NFL told him they'd go lighter if he settled.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, in a civil case what more does she think she can get other than money?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably assured the NFL that there were no further encounters that might come up. And then they came up. That kind of thing pisses them off.
I would think they care more about what his actual indiscretions are never mind all you are doing is guessing he lied.