• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NO. 1: SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at just about any preview magazine this summer, and it'll tell you that the Seattle Seahawks' time is up.

Lindy's, Athlon, Pro Football Weekly all picked the Green Bay Packers to go to the Super Bowl. So did USA Today's Nate Davis. Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer picked Green Bay as well.

Respectfully, I disagree. The best team in the NFL this year is the same one that was the best in the NFL two years ago and arguably the best in the NFL from Week 1 to the Super Bowl last year, but had one ill-conceived play that cost them a second straight Super Bowl.

The Seattle Seahawks have been the class of the NFL over the last two years, and they might be better in 2015.

The addition of tight end Jimmy Graham could take Seattle to another level. They paid up to get him, giving center Max Unger and a first-round pick to New Orleans, but 6-7 guys who have 51 touchdowns in five seasons and are just 28 years old aren't available often.

I think if you pick another team to win the Super Bowl, it's because you've gotten bored picking the Seahawks. They're still the best team.

"We're very confident but we're not cocky," linebacker K.J. Wright said. "Practice is still as intense as it was, we're still paying attention to details like we have in the past. Everything seems to be going good, but we have to make it happen on Sundays."

Offensively, Graham changes everything, because Seattle hasn't had an elite target for Russell Wilson before. People keep expecting running back Marshawn Lynch to slow down, which is understandable with all the carries he has had. But he was actually better last year than he was the year before, and looks like the same old "Beast Mode" this camp.

"Nothing different." receiver Doug Baldwin said about Lynch this camp. "Marshawn is Marshawn. He's still crazy explosive."

Some of the depth is slowly being chipped away on defense, like losing cornerback Byron Maxwell and cutting tackle Tony McDaniel, but that great Seattle defense from last year returns mostly intact. They allowed 267.1 yards per game last year. Nobody else allowed fewer than 300. They'll be fine.

"Everybody is flying around making plays, I feel like the guys are out there getting more and more confident," linebacker Bobby Wagner said. "I think it's just young guys growing older and knowing the scheme.

"I think the sky is the limit for this defense. I think this can be a great defense."

Will contract issues trip up Seattle? Safety Kam Chancellor is holding out. Defensive lineman Michael Bennett isn't, but he'd like a pay bump. Still, I think we're a year away from seeing Seattle really start to feel the effects of all the big contracts they've handed out. For 2016 the Seahawks have $107.4 million of the cap committed to 12 players, according to Spotrac. That's a worry for another day, though. Chancellor should eventually report, Bennett will be fine, the Seahawks' free agents next year will play with visions of a big contract coming in a few months from someone, if it's not Seattle.

The Seahawks were a dominant team last season. I think they were a better team last season, top to bottom and beginning to end, than the Patriots. With Graham added to the offense and so many key players back, I don't see how they're worse.

James Carpenter, defensive end O'Brien Schofield and linebackerMalcolm Smith outweigh what they brought in — namely Graham, cornerbacks Cary Williams andWill Blackmon and defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin. But Graham is so good and he fills such an obvious need that I'm saying the roster is better.

Brandon Browner at the No. 2 spot with Maxwell coming in off the bench. That's unbelievable. Browner and Maxwell are gone, and now it's Williams in a starting role and probably Blackmon at the nickel. They aren't incapable, but they're not Browner or Maxwell either. Something tells me the Seahawks secondary will be fine, though.

Position in flux: The Seahawks have the best set of safeties in the NFL, but you could see potential issues at the start of camp, as Earl Thomas sat out as he recovers from shoulder surgery and Chancellor held out. They were replaced by DeShawn Shead and Steven Terrell, who have each barely played in the NFL. You'd assume Thomas and Chancellor will be good to go by Week 1, but it's a situation worth monitoring. The defense would take a big step back going from an elite safety to someone entirely unproven if there was an injury or Chancellor's holdout lingers.

Ready to break out: One player who stood out often when I was at Seahawks camp was rookie receiver Tyler Lockett. The Seahawks traded a third-, fourth-, fifth- and sixth-round pick to move up and take Lockett in the third round. When a team moves up to get a player, that should instantly tell you they really like him. And Lockett was a handful for the defense in practice, because of his quickness and hands. He could have a big impact in the return game, and he might help the offense too by the looks of things. He looked like he can make a difference right away.

Stat fact: Among NFL teams last season the Seahawks finished sixth in passing yards per play, first in rushing yards per play, second in passing yards allowed per play and second in rushing yards allowed per play. That's incredible roster balance, and dominance.

Schedule degree of difficulty: The schedule seems easier if you figure the 49ers are taking a big fall. The Seahawks have tough road games at Green Bay, at Cincinnati, at Dallas, at Baltimore and at Arizona. The Packers game seems especially important when considering the effect it could have on playoff seeding.

This team’s best-case scenario for the 2015 season: If Graham is the same dominant player we've seen from his Saints days, if Lynch plays just like he did last year, if the defense is good as everyone assumes it should be, it wouldn't surprise me if this team had one of those special 14-win type seasons and cruised to a Super Bowl victory.

And here’s the nightmare scenario: If Seattle falters I doubt it's because they're not good enough. It would be because of chemistry issues from contract situations, perhaps a hangover from how last year's Super Bowl ended, or maybe if Lynch finally slows down. There has to be some sense that Seattle's run isn't going to last for many more years because of salary cap issues, so anything less than a Super Bowl championship would be disappointing.

The crystal ball says: From beginning to end last season, I believe Seattle was the best team in football. They were dominant in pretty much every category you can name. They didn't win it all, because the Patriots (who were also playing great by the end of the season) won an extremely close Super Bowl. I think Seattle comes right back and wins the title it felt it should have had last season. The Seahawks are my pick to win the Super Bowl.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post. I said in an earlier post that I had the same feeling after the SB loss that I had after our loss to Atlanta two seasons ago...... next season, we are.going to the Super Bowl!

That being said, the Packers are a real threat. They are the only team that causes me.some concern this upcoming season. Week 2 is going to be huge! Home field advantage might be determined for the playoffs so early in the season.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said so far. They have potential to be a dominant team but injuries are going to be key. Not quite as much depth as in previous years. Lockett as the return man should help significantly in the field position battle. Couple that with a bit more of an offensive threat due to Graham and hopefully there will be less pressure on the defense.

Take care of those road games in Green Bay and Dallas and I like their chances as NFC champs again.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said so far. They have potential to be a dominant team but injuries are going to be key. Not quite as much depth as in previous years. Lockett as the return man should help significantly in the field position battle. Couple that with a bit more of an offensive threat due to Graham and hopefully there will be less pressure on the defense.

Take care of those road games in Green Bay and Dallas and I like their chances as NFC champs again.
The depth varies. Lessin the secondary, but more on the defensive line IMP.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, I like our depth just about everywhere but the offensive line. We have an issue at safety (maybe), but the Hawks do have 6 NFL experienced CBs (including Lane, though he's hurt) with a couple more with some game appearances. But, yeah, the DLine doesn't look like there'll be enough snaps for everyone.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of questions at offensive line too. That definitely has me worried, but hopefully some of these rookies can impress during the preseason.

D line should be fun to watch this preseason as well. Got some high hopes for Marsh.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I like our depth just about everywhere but the offensive line. We have an issue at safety (maybe), but the Hawks do have 6 NFL experienced CBs (including Lane, though he's hurt) with a couple more with some game appearances. But, yeah, the DLine doesn't look like there'll be enough snaps for everyone.
Not sure the depth in the secondary is on par with what was there in he past, but then the Seahawks have been like magic at finding good secondary players, so we'll see.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of questions at offensive line too. That definitely has me worried, but hopefully some of these rookies can impress during the preseason.

D line should be fun to watch this preseason as well. Got some high hopes for Marsh.
Worrying about the OL line is like a annual thing for us, don't you think?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure the depth in the secondary is on par with what was there in he past, but then the Seahawks have been like magic at finding good secondary players, so we'll see.

Well, I think Williams will fill in wonderfully where Maxwell was. Lane being hurt sucks, but we knew that was the case since the day after the Super Bowl. Blackmon and Bailey will be good options at the nickel/dime spots until Lane returns (if he returns this season), and I think Simon will improve and get a lot of playing time outside.

Last year, we were so bitten to start the season it wasn't funny. Bailey's only here because we didn't have enough healthy guys to suit up at the beginning (though I think he would have been nice to have during the SB as well). We should easily have 5 NFL quality corners week one. Jeron Johnson being gone is a concern, but we'll just have to see what the new safeties coming in have to offer.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stopped reading at about the 3rd paragraph, but here's the deal. There isn't much difference between the top teams in the NFC, last year's playoffs proved that. When teams play, anything can and will happen and it doesn't make "experts" smarter when they pick the correct outcome. Being preseason #1 has never earned any team anything. Let's just play some damn football already!!!!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel these guys have a "chip on their shoulder" after the SB loss and that could spell trouble for our opponents. Sure the odds are tough to get back for a third time but this team can do it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel these guys have a "chip on their shoulder" after the SB loss and that could spell trouble for our opponents. Sure the odds are tough to get back for a third time but this team can do it.

Need the OL to jell, then the Seahawks should be good to go.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need the OL to jell, then the Seahawks should be good to go.

I still think their good to go. Our O-Line has been shuffled and reshuffled the last couple of years. I hope they do jell and become a solid unit, but if it doesn't happen again at least we know they can fight through it and still put up points.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our O-Line scares the crap out of me. It wasn't good last year and we lost Carpenter and Unger from that bunch. Reports are saying that Juanpierre is losing the starting center job in training camp as well to a guy named Drew Nowak, who was on JAX and wasn't good enough there to see the playing field except for 2 games in his two year stint. Looks like he wasn't even in football last year?

Hopefully Poole and Glowinski turn out to be homerun draft picks because there isn't much to like on our line.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our O-Line scares the crap out of me. It wasn't good last year and we lost Carpenter and Unger from that bunch. Reports are saying that Juanpierre is losing the starting center job in training camp as well to a guy named Drew Nowak, who was on JAX and wasn't good enough there to see the playing field except for 2 games in his two year stint. Looks like he wasn't even in football last year?

Hopefully Poole and Glowinski turn out to be homerun draft picks because there isn't much to like on our line.

What I am reading about Juan Pierre is that he has the knowledge and experience in the offense, but he just does not have it physically anymore. It appears he never regained his pre-injury form and is having a difficult time with the physical side of playing center.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I am reading about Juan Pierre is that he has the knowledge and experience in the offense, but he just does not have it physically anymore. It appears he never regained his pre-injury form and is having a difficult time with the physical side of playing center.
Ugh, that's no-Bueno. I would hate for an otherwise stacked roster fall to pieces because our O-Line is atrocious. Fingers crossed on our rookies being lights out, and Britt learning to pass protect!

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unger was a great blocker. But his snapping skills weren't that great when the QB was set back. How many times did he deliver a low or off target snap to Wilson in shotgun?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unger was a great blocker. But his snapping skills weren't that great when the QB was set back. How many times did he deliver a low or off target snap to Wilson in shotgun?
Not sure -- been so long since the guy played for us, it's hard to remember.