• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL West Talk

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win is a win even if it is against the worst franchise in the league.
No shit, but don't think Peavy is turning it around because he beat a shit lineup.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit, but don't think Peavy is turning it around because he beat a shit lineup.
The Giants put out an even shittier lineup yesterday and still won.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants put out an even shittier lineup yesterday and still won.
Nope, Padres had more of their everyday starters in the lineup but most of them are struggling at the plate and one returned from the DL about a week ago. Even with a shitty lineup they should have scored more off Peavy.

Last edited:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, Padres had more of their everyday starters in the lineup but most of them are struggling at the plate and one returned from the DL about a week ago. Even with a shitty lineup they should have scored more off Peavy.
Yep, the Giants put their Triple A Getaway Game lineup out there and still won. And a pitcher who has no business being on a major league roster.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a smart idea in my opinion as a baseball fan. The kid hasn't thrown more then 82 pitches in a game, yet they are already moving him up to The Show? Apparently, they have nobody else to try out in that role but a 19 yr old who needs more seasoning?

As a Giants fan, I say bring him up yesterday so Friedman and co. can stop his progress the way they did Zach Lee...jimmy jacking pitchers is something they are good at. But as a baseball fan, I don't see how this helps his development. And before Dodgers try to compare Felix and other phenoms to Urias, they were all stretched out to 100+ pitches an outing by the time they got to The Show. Urias is not and the bullpen, yanno, the achilles heel of the organization, will be forced to come in and spell him in the 4th-6th innings regularly, covering anywhere from 3-5 innings every 5th start. Taxing an already shitty pen isn't going to help matters any.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a smart idea in my opinion as a baseball fan. The kid hasn't thrown more then 82 pitches in a game, yet they are already moving him up to The Show? Apparently, they have nobody else to try out in that role but a 19 yr old who needs more seasoning?

As a Giants fan, I say bring him up yesterday so Friedman and co. can stop his progress the way they did Zach Lee...jimmy jacking pitchers is something they are good at. But as a baseball fan, I don't see how this helps his development. And before Dodgers try to compare Felix and other phenoms to Urias, they were all stretched out to 100+ pitches an outing by the time they got to The Show. Urias is not and the bullpen, yanno, the achilles heel of the organization, will be forced to come in and spell him in the 4th-6th innings regularly, covering anywhere from 3-5 innings every 5th start. Taxing an already shitty pen isn't going to help matters any.

Don't worry, Kershaw will rest them every 5 days or so.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, Kershaw will rest them every 5 days or so.
But on the other 3 days, it isnt like the kennel is just relaxing either. As Dre said, MAYBE you can get 4-6 IP of solid pitching every 5th day out of Urias, but that still = 3-5 IP of wear and tear on your #1 biggest weakness.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's making a mockery of the hitters in AAA while being the youngest player at that level. He's got an active streak of some 27 scoreless innings with minimal walks or hits that leave the infield.

The only thing he hasn't done is be allowed to pitch late into games. They have a quick hook for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's making a mockery of the hitters in AAA while being the youngest player at that level. He's got an active streak of some 27 scoreless innings with minimal walks or hits that leave the infield.

The only thing he hasn't done is be allowed to pitch late into games. They have a quick hook for him.
You are not addressing the criticisms, though. He looks like a stud. I am willing to grant that point unopposed.

The problem is that having him in your rotation taxes the kennel which is already your big hole.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not addressing the criticisms, though. He looks like a stud. I am willing to grant that point unopposed.

The problem is that having him in your rotation taxes the kennel which is already your big hole.
It actually gives a breather to the starting rotation while we wait for Ryu to return. He'll probably only be up for 3 or 4 starts. Who knows? They might not reign him in on pitches as much if it's just going to be a short time up.

He's actively giving Wood a day and buying time for Stripling to come back up.

MLB Rookie Report: Julio Urias, LHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

"There was no beating up Urias in Triple-A this year: he had a stunning 1.10 ERA in 41 innings for Oklahoma City with a 44/8 K/BB and just 24 hits allowed. And remember, that's the Pacific Coast League, a tough environment for pitchers.

One other thing: he hasn't allowed a run since April 22nd.

Urias is obviously ready for the majors and likely an extended trial given his dominance of the high minors. His combination of stuff and command is very special. The only real questions here are age/workload/durability, but if his arm holds up he can be a top-of-the-rotation starter."

Last edited:

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually gives a breather to the starting rotation while we wait for Ryu to return. He'll probably only be up for 3 or 4 starts. Who knows? They might not reign him in on pitches as much if it's just going to be a short time up.

"There was no beating up Urias in Triple-A this year: he had a stunning 1.10 ERA in 41 innings for Oklahoma City with a 44/8 K/BB and just 24 hits allowed. And remember, that's the Pacific Coast League, a tough environment for pitchers.

Urias is obviously ready for the majors and likely an extended trial given his dominance of the high minors. His combination of stuff and command is very special. The only real questions here are age/workload/durability, but if his arm holds up he can be a top-of-the-rotation starter."
A breather? Aren't they on a 6-man rotation? How much of a breather do they need? Seems like a strange way to go about things :noidea:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So they baby him the entire time down in the minors, but before he's truly ready to be a MLB competent starter, they say "fuck it, let it ride" and ignore pitch count? I hope so. That would be splendid.

Nobody is denying the kid's ability. What I am questioning is the sanity to bring a kid up as a starter before he is ready to complete the job at the ML level. You have a million arms in the minors you could have used but the FO decides to fuck with the one arm that isn't ready? You haven't addressed that.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they baby him the entire time down in the minors, but before he's truly ready to be a MLB competent starter, they say "fuck it, let it ride" and ignore pitch count? I hope so. That would be splendid.

Nobody is denying the kid's ability. What I am questioning is the sanity to bring a kid up as a starter before he is ready to complete the job at the ML level. You have a million arms in the minors you could have used but the FO decides to fuck with the one arm that isn't ready? You haven't addressed that.

He probably won't even stay in the majors. Friedman did the same thing with David Price, they use him once or twice, nice little audition, then the following year they start the season. He's just being used to spell Wood, and if he dominates then he can stay in the rotation until Ryu and McCarthy make it back. It's not like Bolsinger is pitching complete game shutouts either.