• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL West Talk

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulo border jumping for Reyes and prospects. Wow, one Glass Joe traded for another. Color me shocked.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulo border jumping for Reyes and prospects. Wow, one Glass Joe traded for another. Color me shocked.
It will be interesting to see his production when half of his games are are not played in Denver.

Hint...

Check his home/away splits...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see his production when half of his games are are not played in Denver.

Hint...

But his away games are at fenway/NYY/Os instead of SD/SF/LAD plus toronto his homer heaven:suds:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hint...

Ironically, he's been better on the road than at home this year, but yeah, for his career his home splits are better in Coors. That's expected because Coors is stupid.

His away numbers are still decently above average and he's providing that from a premium position. Let's just assume his career-away wRC+ of 118 is exactly what he provides in all his years as a Blue Jay. That'd be good enough to be the third highest wRC+ of all SS in MLB so far this season. And 2014. 2nd best in 2013.

His offensive production at shortstop is not easy to find.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically, he's been better on the road than at home this year, but yeah, for his career his home splits are better in Coors. That's expected because Coors is stupid.

His away numbers are still decently above average and he's providing that from a premium position. Let's just assume his career-away wRC+ of 118 is exactly what he provides in all his years as a Blue Jay. That'd be good enough to be the third highest wRC+ of all SS in MLB so far this season. And 2014. 2nd best in 2013.

His offensive production at shortstop is not easy to find.
His away numbers still say he is a very good SS. No argument.

But he is NOT a superstar. His superstar-status is a direct reaction to Coors Field (and more specifically Denver)

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His away numbers still say he is a very good SS. No argument.

But he is NOT a superstar. His superstar-status is a direct reaction to Coors Field (and more specifically Denver)
We'll see. I am a believer in his skills. He's just always hurt.

And as others mentioned, the AL East - as a whole - probably makes his home/road splits a wash. Yeah, Coors is absolutely the best place to hit but then LA, SD, and SF are all pretty close to being the three worst. I don't expect there to be much of an offensive dip.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. I am a believer in his skills. He's just always hurt.

And as others mentioned, the AL East - as a whole - probably makes his home/road splits a wash. Yeah, Coors is absolutely the best place to hit but then LA, SD, and SF are all pretty close to being the three worst. I don't expect there to be much of an offensive dip.
That is a strong argument. But that only accounts for about 20 games per year total. Coors and Chase, though, account for about 87 games per season.

Skydome is offense-minded, sure. But it is no Coors. Yankee Stadium might be an equivalent to Chase. Fenway and Camden are certainly more offensive than AT&T, PetCo and the Latrine, but Tropicana is closer to them than to Chase.

I am not sure the difference is as stark as people make it out to be.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a strong argument. But that only accounts for about 20 games per year total. Coors and Chase, though, account for about 87 games per season.

Skydome is offense-minded, sure. But it is no Coors. Yankee Stadium might be an equivalent to Chase. Fenway and Camden are certainly more offensive than AT&T, PetCo and the Latrine, but Tropicana is closer to them than to Chase.

20 games out of 81 road games max is a decent amount.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 games out of 81 road games max is a decent amount.
20 games out of 162 played in pitching parks.

87 of 162 (not looking at other divisions) played in launching pads.

If you read the rest of my post, you wold have seen a better breakdown.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Troy Tulowitzki Launch Angle In Coors Field | MLB.com

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love him for a different reason

poseyslam.gif

:dhd:

Also, wtf do the Dodgers want with Mike Morse??! They just did that to piss me off!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, wtf do the Dodgers want with Mike Morse??! They just did that to piss me off!

His contract to buy that Comp Pick from the Marlins. I get a feeling that the Dodgers are going to flip him in another deal. SVS is younger and better than Morse in every way. He's even funnier. Beard > Mullet. I mean, it's not even close.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not read the whole article (I am at work right now), but it does seem to do an interesting study that I would like to look into further.

One thing that I do not think it took into account though (correct me if I am wrong) is the fact that "junk" does not work in Denver. Sliders dont slide. Curve balls dont curve. Sinkers dont sink.

You can look at off-the-bat velocity and launch trajectory all you want. But if you dont also acknowledge that the incoming pitch is of a different quality than will be received in other parks, the hitter study will only go so far.

The argument that Rockies hitters tend to perform worse on the road because of the shortcuts they can take at Coors is a good point, though. I have not seen a statistical analysis, but I have heard and witnessed plenty of anecdotal stories about hitters going into funks after a series in Denver (not unlike HR Derby participants doing badly in the second half).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love him for a different reason

poseyslam.gif

:dhd:

Whats the big deal about this? It was only 4 RBI...

In the playoffs...

Leading to the Giants coming back from an 0-2 deficit in a best-of-5 series...

On the the way to their second of three World Series Championships in 5 years...

OK, OK. You are right. That was pretty fucking bad ass!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, for Coors Field, it's never been 100% about the ball simply going farther in thin air. The ball being easier to square up due to diminished magnus effect has always been part of the equation. Luckily, those splits are really easy to look up. Here you go:

ZvlUYuR.png

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the big deal about this? It was only 4 RBI...

In the playoffs...

Leading to the Giants coming back from an 0-2 deficit in a best-of-5 series...

On the the way to their second of three World Series Championships in 5 years...

OK, OK. You are right. That was pretty fucking bad ass!
The best part is the catcher (Hanigan?) knowing it from the second contact is made :laugh3:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract to buy that Comp Pick from the Marlins. I get a feeling that the Dodgers are going to flip him in another deal. SVS is younger and better than Morse in every way. He's even funnier. Beard > Mullet. I mean, it's not even close.

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"AJ Preller does not have to trade under duress." Mike Dee, part owner of The Padres. "We do not need to dump salaries at this time..."

Ok. We will see.....