• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ZERO.....Took long enough to end this. Thanks to the Rockies for Friday and Saturday.

Now Flaherty can go in game #2 of the first series.

Nice run Brewers, now go and beat the Nationals. Need NL Central to represent.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Cards and their fans. Hopefully we meet up again but the Nsts and then the Dodgers are in the way.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ZERO.....Took long enough to end this. Thanks to the Rockies for Friday and Saturday.

Now Flaherty can go in game #2 of the first series.

Nice run Brewers, now go and beat the Nationals. Need NL Central to represent.

Amen Brother and if we are lucky enough to get a rain out after Game #2 we might see Flaherty start again in Game #5, if necessary.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Cards and their fans. Hopefully we meet up again but the Nsts and then the Dodgers are in the way.

Congratulations to the Brewers too for getting to the playoffs. You guys went on one of the best runs in history in the past month and if you had stayed healthy we all might be talking about a different story right now.

Now go beat those Nationals on Tuesday night to keep two teams from the NL Central in the hunt. It won't be easy since you will be facing one of the best pitchers in MLB but I will be cheering for you.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I foresee San Diego. Nice weather, some nice young players.

I'm hearing that the Cubs are very interested in talking to Garardi. If this were to happen can you imagine Theo and Joe teaming up after all the battles they had?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to the St Louis Cardinals organization and their fans. Sure was an exciting finish.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Cards....nice job in hanging in there and making it happen

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to the St Louis Cardinals organization and their fans. Sure was an exciting finish.

I'll tell you one thing, you guys sure don't go away easily!

In fact, you still haven't gone away so go to Washington and beat those Nationals and keep the NL Central well represented in the playoffs.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Cards....nice job in hanging in there and making it happen

You should be proud of your Brewers because they went on an unbelievable run down the stretch even while their injuries kept adding up.

I'm a Brewers fan tomorrow against the Nationals, that's for sure.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Las Vegas Odds To Win The National League Pennant:

Los Angeles Dodgers 5 to 8
Atlanta Braves 4 to 1
St. Louis Cardinals 5 to 1
Washington Nationals 7 to 1
Milwaukee Brewers 15 to 1

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Las Vegas Odds To Win The National League Pennant:

Los Angeles Dodgers 5 to 8
Atlanta Braves 4 to 1
St. Louis Cardinals 5 to 1
Washington Nationals 7 to 1
Milwaukee Brewers 15 to 1
Only thing that looks odd to me there is those Nationals odds. That should be closer to 10 to 1.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing that looks odd to me there is those Nationals odds. That should be closer to 10 to 1.

I agree with you but I guess LV thinks the Nationals starting pitching gives them better odds.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Being in a 1 game series should have dropped it a bit.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Being in a 1 game series should have dropped it a bit.

Well, my friend, my confidence proved to be right in us winning the NL Central but I'm now back to your level with just hope. I just hope that we can be competitive and stay in the playoffs for awhile and not get embarrassed.

On another note our playoff roster is complicated for Schildt due to the fact that Wong is not healing as quickly as expected so I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens there.

GOOOO RED BIRDS!!!

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wo
Well, my friend, my confidence proved to be right in us winning the NL Central but I'm now back to your level with just hope. I just hope that we can be competitive and stay in the playoffs for awhile and not get embarrassed.

On another note our playoff roster is complicated for Schildt due to the fact that Wong is not healing as quickly as expected so I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens there.

GOOOO RED BIRDS!!!
I wouldn't brag too much about your confidence being right when we let it come down to the final game. Losing the first 2 to the Cubs and needing the Brewers to get swept by the Rockies.

We do have our hands full with the Braves. I have yet to see the rotation order for the Cardinals. The Braves will be able to start their best pitchers in order. I wonder if the Cards would use Flaherty in game 2?

For those who plan on watching any games of the Cardinals-Braves National League Division Series, you should probably go ahead and get this out of the way right now.

There isn’t a Braves fan who hasn’t brought up this play -- which may (or may not) have cost the Braves a win in the first-ever National League Wild Card Game in 2012 in what ended up being Chipper Jones’ last game -- every single time the Cardinals have come to town since:

And now the two teams are playing with their seasons on the line. This is the fifth time the Braves and Cardinals have met in the postseason, with the Cardinals winning the NLCS in 1982, the NLDS in 2000 and that ‘12 game, and the Braves winning the NLCS in ‘96. But the two teams’ postseason history couldn’t be more different. The Cardinals have been to four World Series since ‘01 and won two. The Braves, since ‘01, have lost eight postseason series in a row.

This Braves team, with Ronald Acuña Jr. and the gang, seems set up for success for years to come. In this season’s NL Central division race, the Cardinals outlasted the Cubs and Brewers after a few years in the wilderness. Both teams have proud, vast fanbases. But only one gets to move on.

Where is each team stronger on the field? Let's find out with a position-by-position breakdown.

Catcher

No Braves fan will complain about the combo of framing genius Tyler Flowers and beloved Braves vet Brian McCann, even if neither has had the most outstanding offensive season. But the Cardinals have Yadier Molina. Yadi had a dreadful offensive start to the year but has come on as the team has risen in the standings, posting an .802 OPS in 42 games after coming off the injured list in mid-August; his teammates keep saying he “smells October.” The Cardinals will go as far as Yadi takes them, which has essentially been the case for 14 seasons now.

Advantage: Cardinals

First Base

Paul Goldschmidt was the NL Player of the Month for July, but on the whole this has probably been his weakest offensive season. He has still been an overwhelming positive for the Cardinals, not just because of his offensive contributions but because of how he has settled the first base position defensively, one of the primary reasons the team is so much better in the field than in years past. But Freddie Freeman has just gone out and put together another top 10 MVP season, another notch on a resume that already has him as one of the five or six best position players in franchise history.

Advantage: Braves

Second Base

Ozzie Albies took a small step backwards last year but a big leap forward this year, putting up career-high numbers in almost every offensive category (and, somehow, he is still only 22). If healthy, Kolten Wong is Albies’ superior defensively and only a little bit short of his competition offensively, but it’s not yet known how his partially torn hamstring (suffered at the beginning of that epic Cubs series two weekends ago) is going to hold up in the postseason. If he’s not 100 percent, breakthrough utilityman Tommy Edman will fill in. He’s been very good this year, but not as good as Albies.

Shortstop

Dansby Swanson may never live up to his overall top pick status -- fellow SEC alum Alex Bregman was drafted one spot behind him -- but he has been perfectly fine both offensively and defensively. Not a star, but exactly the sort of player you can win with. Paul DeJong, the Cardinals’ lone All-Star this year, hit a wall offensively late in the year but still ended up with 30 homers, and is better defensively than he’s probably given credit for.

Slight advantage: Cardinals

Third Base

Matt Carpenter, a year after a top 10 finish in MVP voting, has had a disappointing season at the plate (including a career-low .726 OPS), to the point that the Cardinals finally gave up and benched him for Edman late in the year. Edman provided a serious spark, but Wong’s injury put Carpenter back in the lineup. He has improved over the last month, and his home run off Craig Kimbrel to begin that Cubs series might be the biggest homer of the Cardinals’ season. Not that it matters in this matchup: Josh Donaldson has been everything the Braves could have possibly hoped for and more in his one-year deal, and he might be the most important player in this entire series.

Big advantage: Braves

Left Field

A right fielder for most of his career, Nick Markakis is now manning left in Atlanta with Austin Riley unable to establish himself after a hot start to his career. The only difference between this and almost any other Markakis season is that he was injured a bit more often this year, but was his usual self when in the lineup, providing OBP and not much power. (If Ender Inciarte was healthy, he might have played center and moved Acuña to left.) Marcell Ozuna, who has been inconsistent (particularly down the stretch) but has the sort of power bat that the Cardinals desperately need (and who can carry a team if he gets hot), has the edge here.

Center Field

Harrison Bader is one of the best defensive center fielders in the game, and an aggressive, smart baserunner. But his opponent here is Acuña, who is the best player in this entire series and already showed in last year’s NLDS that he can rise to the biggest moments in the postseason. The only question here is if the hip injury that kept Acuña out the final week of the season will linger.

Right Field

Of all the reasons given for the Cardinals’ improvement in 2019 over ‘18, Dexter Fowler is very much overlooked: He’s having his best season in St. Louis, and the Cardinals' second-half resurgence happened almost exactly when he was installed at the top of the lineup. (He’s a better fit in right field as well.) The Matt Joyce-Adam Duvall platoon will handle things for Atlanta, and it’s a solid -- yet unspectacular -- combo. Neither team will lose this series because of what they have going on in right field.

Rotation

Perhaps the biggest turnaround for the Cardinals after the All-Star break was the explosion of Jack Flaherty, who went from a talented but inconsistent starter to one of the best pitchers in baseball and was named the NL Pitcher of the Month for September. Adam Wainwright, a Georgia native, was terrific down the stretch but had maybe the worst start of his career the final weekend of the season against the Cubs. Dakota Hudson has been solid (though might be running out of gas late) and Miles Mikolas has come along stronger lately after what had been a disappointing year.

The Braves have a Flaherty counterpart in rookie Mike Soroka, and he appears likely to go in Game 3 in St. Louis given that he had a 1.55 road ERA this year compared to 4.14 at home. Dallas Keuchel is the presumed Game 1 starter, followed by Mike Foltynewicz. Lefty Max Fried is the most likely Game 4 option for Atlanta, and he could come out of the bullpen in Games 1 or 2.

A Soroka-Flaherty showdown would have been awesome, but given that Flaherty is set for Game 2 after pitching on Sunday to help the Cardinals clinch the NL Central, it’s unlikely we will see it this October.

Slight advantage: Braves

Bullpen

The Cardinals lost flame-throwing closer Jordan Hicks in July, but Carlos Martínez filled in capably in his stead, and Giovanny Gallegos has been even better. Andrew Miller, however, does not look anything like the guy who dominated the postseason for Cleveland in 2016. The Braves have been trying to figure out their bullpen all year and have relied largely on midseason trades to get them through, with Trade Deadline acquisition Mark Melancon leading the charge as closer. The question is whether they have enough arms to throw at the problem.

The Braves won more regular season games, but the Cardinals were a little better in the second half. This feels like the tightest of all the Division Series. When they’re this close, we’ll go with the team that has home-field advantage (in this case, Atlanta). But be wary of any and all pop-ups with runners on base. Braves fans never forget.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wo

I wouldn't brag too much about your confidence being right when we let it come down to the final game. Losing the first 2 to the Cubs and needing the Brewers to get swept by the Rockies.

We do have our hands full with the Braves. I have yet to see the rotation order for the Cardinals. The Braves will be able to start their best pitchers in order. I wonder if the Cards would use Flaherty in game 2?

For those who plan on watching any games of the Cardinals-Braves National League Division Series, you should probably go ahead and get this out of the way right now.

There isn’t a Braves fan who hasn’t brought up this play -- which may (or may not) have cost the Braves a win in the first-ever National League Wild Card Game in 2012 in what ended up being Chipper Jones’ last game -- every single time the Cardinals have come to town since:

And now the two teams are playing with their seasons on the line. This is the fifth time the Braves and Cardinals have met in the postseason, with the Cardinals winning the NLCS in 1982, the NLDS in 2000 and that ‘12 game, and the Braves winning the NLCS in ‘96. But the two teams’ postseason history couldn’t be more different. The Cardinals have been to four World Series since ‘01 and won two. The Braves, since ‘01, have lost eight postseason series in a row.

This Braves team, with Ronald Acuña Jr. and the gang, seems set up for success for years to come. In this season’s NL Central division race, the Cardinals outlasted the Cubs and Brewers after a few years in the wilderness. Both teams have proud, vast fanbases. But only one gets to move on.

Where is each team stronger on the field? Let's find out with a position-by-position breakdown.

Catcher

No Braves fan will complain about the combo of framing genius Tyler Flowers and beloved Braves vet Brian McCann, even if neither has had the most outstanding offensive season. But the Cardinals have Yadier Molina. Yadi had a dreadful offensive start to the year but has come on as the team has risen in the standings, posting an .802 OPS in 42 games after coming off the injured list in mid-August; his teammates keep saying he “smells October.” The Cardinals will go as far as Yadi takes them, which has essentially been the case for 14 seasons now.

First Base

Paul Goldschmidt was the NL Player of the Month for July, but on the whole this has probably been his weakest offensive season. He has still been an overwhelming positive for the Cardinals, not just because of his offensive contributions but because of how he has settled the first base position defensively, one of the primary reasons the team is so much better in the field than in years past. But Freddie Freeman has just gone out and put together another top 10 MVP season, another notch on a resume that already has him as one of the five or six best position players in franchise history.

Second Base

Ozzie Albies took a small step backwards last year but a big leap forward this year, putting up career-high numbers in almost every offensive category (and, somehow, he is still only 22). If healthy, Kolten Wong is Albies’ superior defensively and only a little bit short of his competition offensively, but it’s not yet known how his partially torn hamstring (suffered at the beginning of that epic Cubs series two weekends ago) is going to hold up in the postseason. If he’s not 100 percent, breakthrough utilityman Tommy Edman will fill in. He’s been very good this year, but not as good as Albies.

Shortstop

Dansby Swanson may never live up to his overall top pick status -- fellow SEC alum Alex Bregman was drafted one spot behind him -- but he has been perfectly fine both offensively and defensively. Not a star, but exactly the sort of player you can win with. Paul DeJong, the Cardinals’ lone All-Star this year, hit a wall offensively late in the year but still ended up with 30 homers, and is better defensively than he’s probably given credit for.

Third Base

Matt Carpenter, a year after a top 10 finish in MVP voting, has had a disappointing season at the plate (including a career-low .726 OPS), to the point that the Cardinals finally gave up and benched him for Edman late in the year. Edman provided a serious spark, but Wong’s injury put Carpenter back in the lineup. He has improved over the last month, and his home run off Craig Kimbrel to begin that Cubs series might be the biggest homer of the Cardinals’ season. Not that it matters in this matchup: Josh Donaldson has been everything the Braves could have possibly hoped for and more in his one-year deal, and he might be the most important player in this entire series.

Left Field

A right fielder for most of his career, Nick Markakis is now manning left in Atlanta with Austin Riley unable to establish himself after a hot start to his career. The only difference between this and almost any other Markakis season is that he was injured a bit more often this year, but was his usual self when in the lineup, providing OBP and not much power. (If Ender Inciarte was healthy, he might have played center and moved Acuña to left.) Marcell Ozuna, who has been inconsistent (particularly down the stretch) but has the sort of power bat that the Cardinals desperately need (and who can carry a team if he gets hot), has the edge here.

Center Field

Harrison Bader is one of the best defensive center fielders in the game, and an aggressive, smart baserunner. But his opponent here is Acuña, who is the best player in this entire series and already showed in last year’s NLDS that he can rise to the biggest moments in the postseason. The only question here is if the hip injury that kept Acuña out the final week of the season will linger.

Right Field

Of all the reasons given for the Cardinals’ improvement in 2019 over ‘18, Dexter Fowler is very much overlooked: He’s having his best season in St. Louis, and the Cardinals' second-half resurgence happened almost exactly when he was installed at the top of the lineup. (He’s a better fit in right field as well.) The Matt Joyce-Adam Duvall platoon will handle things for Atlanta, and it’s a solid -- yet unspectacular -- combo. Neither team will lose this series because of what they have going on in right field.

Rotation

Perhaps the biggest turnaround for the Cardinals after the All-Star break was the explosion of Jack Flaherty, who went from a talented but inconsistent starter to one of the best pitchers in baseball and was named the NL Pitcher of the Month for September. Adam Wainwright, a Georgia native, was terrific down the stretch but had maybe the worst start of his career the final weekend of the season against the Cubs. Dakota Hudson has been solid (though might be running out of gas late) and Miles Mikolas has come along stronger lately after what had been a disappointing year.

The Braves have a Flaherty counterpart in rookie Mike Soroka, and he appears likely to go in Game 3 in St. Louis given that he had a 1.55 road ERA this year compared to 4.14 at home. Dallas Keuchel is the presumed Game 1 starter, followed by Mike Foltynewicz. Lefty Max Fried is the most likely Game 4 option for Atlanta, and he could come out of the bullpen in Games 1 or 2.

A Soroka-Flaherty showdown would have been awesome, but given that Flaherty is set for Game 2 after pitching on Sunday to help the Cardinals clinch the NL Central, it’s unlikely we will see it this October.

Slight advantage: Braves

Bullpen

The Cardinals lost flame-throwing closer Jordan Hicks in July, but Carlos Martínez filled in capably in his stead, and Giovanny Gallegos has been even better. Andrew Miller, however, does not look anything like the guy who dominated the postseason for Cleveland in 2016. The Braves have been trying to figure out their bullpen all year and have relied largely on midseason trades to get them through, with Trade Deadline acquisition Mark Melancon leading the charge as closer. The question is whether they have enough arms to throw at the problem.

The Braves won more regular season games, but the Cardinals were a little better in the second half. This feels like the tightest of all the Division Series. When they’re this close, we’ll go with the team that has home-field advantage (in this case, Atlanta). But be wary of any and all pop-ups with runners on base. Braves fans never forget.

First of all my friend, if you knew me you would find that I am one of the most humble people living on God's earth and I don't brag about anything. My confidence on the Cardinals winning the NL Central was based on believing in them from the opening day of the season. Yes, there were many peaks and valleys throughout the long season, which all teams go through, but I never stopped believing in them.

As far as breaking down a playoff series position by position that's not how baseball works when it comes to handicapping who will win the series for many reasons. In many cases throughout playoff history players who couldn't hit their weight during the regular season turn out to be the stars of the show in postseason. In addition to that both the Cardinals and the Braves have some wounded warriors and we don't know how they will perform either. Pitching can be the same way with regular season vs. post season as far as performance. So let's just cheer hard for our Cardinals and hope for the best.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeman has been awful at the plate this series. Plus Kuetchel has been plain bad on the bumb in his 2 efforts.