• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners trade for RB Christian McCaffrey

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With the way Purdy has played theoretically you will have a qb to trade to recoup some draft capital
For me, do NOT trade Lance. While he does need to go thru more game reps, there is nothing to indicate he won't get better and better. We MUST find out what his 'ceiling' might be, granted easier said than done IF Purdy keeps this up.

Purdy is a step up over JG, and Lance could become a step up over Purdy.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, do NOT trade Lance. While he does need to go thru more game reps, there is nothing to indicate he won't get better and better. We MUST find out what his 'ceiling' might be, granted easier said than done IF Purdy keeps this up.

That’s fine.

My intent wasn’t to go into all of that entirely.

More that one of them would be an option to recoup draft capital

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,871.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch has been a great exec for the Niners.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,871.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's see how Purdy does in the playoffs before we claim he is better than Jimmy G.

LOL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought he showed his worth prior to Jimmy G going down
CMC has clearly helped this offense and you're right, he showed his playing 'worth' prior to JG going down.

But your question isn't if he's talented and his worth on the 49ers, but of the trade today? So when you re-look at the trade you have to review all of the factors to judge his play against what we gave up? Not only what we gave up in draft capital but his cap impact to future FA's we hope to keep.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The trade IS looking better. He's been the best player we have on offense. Since the trade, we've been scoring a full TD more per game than prior to his arrival. As long as he stays healthy, the offense will continue to be dangerous.

Gonna be interesting to see how we handle his contract situation next year, particularly with so many upcoming FAs.
i believe CMC already re-did his contract while at Carolina? seem to recall reading we have two MORE years before deciding what to do?

Yes, we have many FA's this coming off-season and it includes some key FA's such as E-man. I posted this list in another thread. This team has depth so while we can't keep all of them, we can't underestimate the value for role and depth players.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lynch has been a great exec for the Niners.
Too bad he botched his first draft (Round 1) plus some 'higher' draft picks. Not to mention he traded up for some of these botched picks. Shanahan played a role too and i'm not saying every pick should pan out, but you'd expect 'higher' picks to produce more.

Lynch will REALLY need to be good from here on as player contracts escalate. He'll have to make tough decisions on some of the pricier FA's currently on the books. Juice comes to mind, don't think we re-sign Gould, even Arik might not remain next season?

Not to mention the lack of draft picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's see how Purdy does in the playoffs before we claim he is better than Jimmy G.

LOL.
Ok, while i don't want to get too far ahead of Purdy, he's already shown he can make the same passes as JG. He can run the offense just as good as JG was doing. Why does he need to do well in the play-offs, JG didn't do a lot in the play-offs?

However, Purdy ADDS movement in the pocket to avoid some sacks. He also adds the longer passes downfield and outside the numbers. So these two things essentially pushes him above JG. Now Shanahan can call for receivers to 'release' downfield, as demonstrated in the last two games.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,871.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, while i don't want to get too far ahead of Purdy, he's already shown he can make the same passes as JG. He can run the offense just as good as JG was doing. Why does he need to do well in the play-offs, JG didn't do a lot in the play-offs?

However, Purdy ADDS movement in the pocket to avoid some sacks. He also adds the longer passes downfield and outside the numbers. So these two things essentially pushes him above JG. Now Shanahan can call for receivers to 'release' downfield, as demonstrated in the last two games.
Jimmy didn't do a lot in the playoffs? How soon we forget.

LOL.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CMC has clearly helped this offense and you're right, he showed his playing 'worth' prior to JG going down.

But your question isn't if he's talented and his worth on the 49ers, but of the trade today? So when you re-look at the trade you have to review all of the factors to judge his play against what we gave up? Not only what we gave up in draft capital but his cap impact to future FA's we hope to keep.
Sure but lets face it. We are a team going all in for winning it all now
This when we were suppose to have been going with our shiney new young gun
Who knew it would Mr Irrelevant we're counting on

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure but lets face it. We are a team going all in for winning it all now
This when we were suppose to have been going with our shiney new young gun
Who knew it would Mr Irrelevant we're counting on
Yes, we fans can look at it that way.....going all in similar to what the Rams did last year. However, we can look at this way TODAY but at the time of the CMC trade, we were 3-3 and already without Lance. Since i don't view JG as a SB winning QB, at the time didn't view this trade as going "all in". If we go back to when the CMC trade was announced, adding a top CB or a top OT might've signaled that for me, but not RB even if CMC.

I'm in no way complaining about the play of CMC and how its improved this offense. Just looking at the entire trade as a whole.

Yes, as i alluded to earlier, Purdy is reason the fan base is energized today. Had Purdy taken over from Lance, our offense would've been better earlier. Not as good as now with CMC, but better. Would we have still made that trade for CMC?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we fans can look at it that way.....going all in similar to what the Rams did last year. However, we can look at this way TODAY but at the time of the CMC trade, we were 3-3 and already without Lance. Since i don't view JG as a SB winning QB, at the time didn't view this trade as going "all in". If we go back to when the CMC trade was announced, adding a top CB or a top OT might've signaled that for me, but not RB even if CMC.

I'm in no way complaining about the play of CMC and how its improved this offense. Just looking at the entire trade as a whole.

Yes, as i alluded to earlier, Purdy is reason the fan base is energized today. Had Purdy taken over from Lance, our offense would've been better earlier. Not as good as now with CMC, but better. Would we have still made that trade for CMC?
My outlook on what it is they are trying to do isn't just a conclusion based on viewing it's as much as more as listening to the local radio sports talking heads breakdown statements form Lynch and Shanny.

We were among the pre-season's favorites to win it all even with everybody thinking JimmyG was already out the door

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way we should trade Lance. Way too early for that. We've seen the value of having quality backup Qbs and Lance is still young, talented, and relatively cheap. We could easily see an open QB competition this offseason.

i believe CMC already re-did his contract while at Carolina? seem to recall reading we have two MORE years before deciding what to do?

Yes, we have many FA's this coming off-season and it includes some key FA's such as E-man. I posted this list in another thread. This team has depth so while we can't keep all of them, we can't underestimate the value for role and depth players.
CMC is still under contract for 3 more years, but my point is that I don't think we leave his contract as is, since he'd carry a 12M cap figure for each of the next 3 years and next year, we'll need the space. I think we might redo his deal some.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No way we should trade Lance. Way too early for that. We've seen the value of having quality backup Qbs and Lance is still young, talented, and relatively cheap. We could easily see an open QB competition this offseason.

CMC is still under contract for 3 more years, but my point is that I don't think we leave his contract as is, since he'd carry a 12M cap figure for each of the next 3 years and next year, we'll need the space. I think we might redo his deal some.
Re-doing CMC's deal is possible but think they'll look at other 'big' contracts first?

I know this isn't popular to think but we night not keep players like Juice and even Armstead. Or we try to re-do the deals for Kittle and Warner, before re-doing CMC.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-doing CMC's deal is possible but think they'll look at other 'big' contracts first?

I know this isn't popular to think but we night not keep players like Juice and even Armstead. Or we try to re-do the deals for Kittle and Warner, before re-doing CMC.
Isn't the cap expected to go up radically next year based on the new TV deals? I think the team is counting on that to resign some of the vets as well as Bosa. Seems like they should be able to handle resigning most of the vets, and guys may want to do team friendly deals to stick around... potentially. Especially CMC, I would think. His career just took a major turn after joining the 9ers, I doubt he only looks at it as a pay-day. I could be wrong, but there are family ties there that may help smooth some of this out. Unless Parag completely low-balls him, of course.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the cap expected to go up radically next year based on the new TV deals? I think the team is counting on that to resign some of the vets as well as Bosa. Seems like they should be able to handle resigning most of the vets, and guys may want to do team friendly deals to stick around... potentially. Especially CMC, I would think. His career just took a major turn after joining the 9ers, I doubt he only looks at it as a pay-day. I could be wrong, but there are family ties there that may help smooth some of this out. Unless Parag completely low-balls him, of course.
You don't have to worry about resigning CMC. He is already under contract through 2025. At 12M per season.

Hopefully, the cap goes up enough to allow us to resign most of the guys we want to keep.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to worry about resigning CMC. He is already under contract through 2025. At 12M per season.

Hopefully, the cap goes up enough to allow us to resign most of the guys we want to keep.
Ok... yeah, then it's a problem to deal with waaaay down the road in NFL terms. He's well worth it at $12M as season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We fans like to think star players will sign team friendly contracts, but can't blame the players for maximizing. Tom Brady is the only one who comes to mind regarding team friendly contracts.

The cap will go up but we have a lot of solid FA's we hope to keep. We won't try to re-sign all of the below but taken as a whole, its easy to see the extra cap being quickly eaten up.

• EDGE Samson Ebukam
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley
  • RT Mike McGlinchey
  • LB Azeez Al-Shaair
  • K Robbie Gould
  • OL Daniel Brunskill
  • DT Hassan Ridgeway
  • EDGE Kemoko Turay
  • DE Kerry Hyder Jr
  • OL Jake Brendel

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We fans like to think star players will sign team friendly contracts, but can't blame the players for maximizing. Tom Brady is the only one who comes to mind regarding team friendly contracts.

The cap will go up but we have a lot of solid FA's we hope to keep. We won't try to re-sign all of the below but taken as a whole, its easy to see the extra cap being quickly eaten up.

• EDGE Samson Ebukam
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley
  • RT Mike McGlinchey
  • LB Azeez Al-Shaair
  • K Robbie Gould
  • OL Daniel Brunskill
  • DT Hassan Ridgeway
  • EDGE Kemoko Turay
  • DE Kerry Hyder Jr
  • OL Jake Brendel
I would expect the team to let Ebukam walk b/c I think He'll be expensive.

Moseley coming off an ACL should be relatively cheap to resign to a short term deal.

I'd be surprised if we brought back McGlinchey. If we don't, what to do at RT?

Resigning Greenlaw probably means that the team intends to let Al-Shaair walk.

Is this the year we decide we can't afford Robbie Gould? He's been SO steady...

Brendel and Brunskill. Are we really going to have another off season of uncertainty at center?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would expect the team to let Ebukam walk b/c I think He'll be expensive.

Moseley coming off an ACL should be relatively cheap to resign to a short term deal.

I'd be surprised if we brought back McGlinchey. If we don't, what to do at RT?

Resigning Greenlaw probably means that the team intends to let Al-Shaair walk.

Is this the year we decide we can't afford Robbie Gould? He's been SO steady...

Brendel and Brunskill. Are we really going to have another off season of uncertainty at center?
I'll guess they re-sign Ebukam and correct, he won't be 'cheap'. Reason is they like to stack the depth along the D-line, and Ebukam is an ok rusher.

Still think Moseley will cost around $8-9M/year despite coming off his injury. Don't know if this is considered "relatively cheap" for you but compare with Mooney at $14M.

We all know McGlinchey is inconsistent but it isn't easy to get a starting OT. More so we don't have draft picks and can't expend much on FA's. I think they'll re-sign him to our dismay but not push hard, maybe let him test the market first?

Al Shaair will be able to get a good sized contract from someone else, and we won't match.

As steady as Gould has been, his cap hit is high now for a kicker. I'll guess they move on from Gould due to cap reasons only.

Brendel needs to be re-signed as he's done well at Center. He'll need to bridge the gap another 2 years at least. Brunskill is good to retain (he's also the back-up Center) but may command a price we won't match, similar to the Jets signing Compton.

I think we'll try to retain Ridgeway or Hyder. Armstead is 'breaking down' again so maybe they don't retain him? Don't know what Armstead's contract situation is, but will guess next year is next to the last year?