• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners trade for RB Christian McCaffrey

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good time to ask again
haaa, clearly he makes the defense 'pick a poison' and he's a tougher runner than i thought (before the trade).

Anyway, when this trade was first announced, didn't like it at all. Reason was these type of trades typically include a key position like QB, CB, or LT. Trading away draft picks will impact you sooner rather than later but the 49ers have done well in later rounds.

Anyway, I softened my opinion after finding out his cap hit last season, wasn't so bad.

Since he joined the team he clearly makes a big difference because defenses also have to account for receiving. Making LB's and DB's tackle him in open space puts a lot of pressure most players.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also against the trade.

He fits perfectly in this offense. His vision in the running game is 2nd to none and fits perfectly in the zone system. The guy can run WR routes and has very good hands. His toughness and hard-running is underrated too. He's literally in the discussion for OPOY. He's been that good.

The issue with CMC will always be his durability and cost. HE's the highest paid RB in the NFL and it's hard not to use him b/c he is so talented. BUT, the Niners are currently using him too much. We need to get Mitchell and Mason more carries.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was also against the trade.

He fits perfectly in this offense. His vision in the running game is 2nd to none and fits perfectly in the zone system. The guy can run WR routes and has very good hands. His toughness and hard-running is underrated too. He's literally in the discussion for OPOY. He's been that good.

The issue with CMC will always be his durability and cost. HE's the highest paid RB in the NFL and it's hard not to use him b/c he is so talented. BUT, the Niners are currently using him too much. We need to get Mitchell and Mason more carries.
But Mitchell himself is injury prone, nowadays more so than CMC.

I know its early but will predict Mitchell doesn't stick next season.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Mitchell himself is injury prone, nowadays more so than CMC.

I know its early but will predict Mitchell doesn't stick next season.
Interesting thought. You could be right. Much like Mostert before him, if he can't stay healthy we can't really rely on him. BUT he's under contract for another year at something like 1M, so I could see him sticking around through 2024, but likely not after.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting thought. You could be right. Much like Mostert before him, if he can't stay healthy we can't really rely on him. BUT he's under contract for another year at something like 1M, so I could see him sticking around through 2024, but likely not after.
Will also predict they draft another RB in the mode of CMC. We'll be drafting one later than Round 3, so it won't be the quality of CMC. But the offense works better with a RB who can also catch and RAC, so we'll try one next draft.

While Mason and TDP can catch short passes, they're not open field runners.