• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Since the Buccs will probably cut Revis anyway, would it make more sense to trade a 6th or 7th rounder for him & take on that big salary with zero guaranteed money?

*Don't have to endure the 1st year of a big contract (which is typically disappointing).
*Can cut him after a year or 2 if his play starts to decline or if he becomes a problem with no dead money.
*with no guaranteed money every season is like a contract year for him.

Signing him as a FA would be better if the Niners could see him playing at a high level for 3 or more years. If they want him for 1 or 2, I actually think it would make more sense to trade for him.

It might take some cap maneuvering & might even necessitate cutting Gore, but I think trading for Revis could make the most sense.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a waste of money to sign a Corner like Revis because of the passive way 49er Corners are asked to play in their defense.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers must consider whether Revis is a financial fit | CSN Bay Area

One person with intimate knowledge of how 49ers general manager Trent Baalke operates said he believes Baalke will never go outside the team and bring in a player who immediately becomes the highest-paid player on the team.

Revis, a five-time Pro Bowl performer who turns 29 in July, might command a salary greater than linebackers Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman, who currently earn $10 million and $9.05 million annually.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know we have more than enough draft picks for a trade, but there isn't a chance in hell we take Revis at his current contract. So, the only way IMO this happens is the Bucs release him and he is willing to come here for a shot at a ring in a short term contract worth half of what his current contract gives him per year (roughly $8M/year).

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network is reporting that the Cleveland Browns are negotiating with the Tampa Bay Bucs for Revis as we speak. Cleveland is $50MM under the cap and they have 11 draft picks, 6 of which are in the first 100.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we have more than enough draft picks for a trade, but there isn't a chance in hell we take Revis at his current contract. So, the only way IMO this happens is the Bucs release him and he is willing to come here for a shot at a ring in a short term contract worth half of what his current contract gives him per year (roughly $8M/year).

The word is the team that trades for him can restructure his deal since there is no gtd and it is all whopping base salaries. I'm not that interested in him. He's gonna be declining very soon.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
NFL Network is reporting that the Cleveland Browns are negotiating with the Tampa Bay Bucs for Revis as we speak. Cleveland is $50MM under the cap and they have 11 draft picks, 6 of which are in the first 100.

Sweet...so the Browns will pay $8m for Whitner and $16m for Revis and have the same disappointing season that the Bucs had last year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One person with intimate knowledge of how 49ers general manager Trent Baalke operates said he believes Baalke will never go outside the team and bring in a player who immediately becomes the highest-paid player on the team.

Revis, a five-time Pro Bowl performer who turns 29 in July, might command a salary greater than linebackers Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman, who currently earn $10 million and $9.05 million annually.

Well, then, extend Kaepernick first, that oughta do it. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Buccs will probably cut Revis anyway, would it make more sense to trade a 6th or 7th rounder for him & take on that big salary with zero guaranteed money?

*Don't have to endure the 1st year of a big contract (which is typically disappointing).
*Can cut him after a year or 2 if his play starts to decline or if he becomes a problem with no dead money.
*with no guaranteed money every season is like a contract year for him.

Signing him as a FA would be better if the Niners could see him playing at a high level for 3 or more years. If they want him for 1 or 2, I actually think it would make more sense to trade for him.

It might take some cap maneuvering & might even necessitate cutting Gore, but I think trading for Revis could make the most sense.

Revis contract gives team unilateral power to restructure | ProFootballTalk

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that it may just be Tampa Bay's right, not the new team. I don't understand why they are talking about what Revis wants when it's clear they can do whatever the freaking want with the structuring of the contract before trading, of which they have complete power. I guess he could hold out on a physical? Can a team waiver the physical if so (wouldn't be a point if he won't show up and if he shows up, he'll get a physical - I'm just talking about voiding the trade if not done in time (holdout if bad team).

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mention multiple times. Baalke is not going to pay someone outside the 49ers to be the highest paid player unless its at the QB position.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The word is the team that trades for him can restructure his deal since there is no gtd and it is all whopping base salaries. I'm not that interested in him. He's gonna be declining very soon.

Agreed. CB's that are at the age I hate, just like RB's. They decline way too quickly.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the rumor is Tampa is talking to the Raiders about a trade. Don't see this as a good move for oakland either.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland always does stupid crap like this. Why pay a player that much when your not even close to being a playoff team.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oakland always does stupid crap like this. Why pay a player that much when your not even close to being a playoff team.

Because they have tons of cap room and Mckenzie only cares about keeping his job. It's not about making the playoffs. They need to show improvement or him and the coaching staff are out.

Doesn't help that the Raiders are playing the NFC west next season. They might as well go for broke.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 16s

Source tells PFT the Raiders are not pursuing Darrelle Revis, but the Browns are.
Expand

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why not? If you can spend it on some major talent that will allow you a frontloaded contract and be around for a while that's great, but if not, you have to spend almost to the cap. Why not do it on a contract that has no dead money?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wouldn't that be awesome if Revis got cut and 49ers offered him the $6M we saved from Carlos Rogers and he took a short term deal?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have 60 million might as well go crazy. I would trade for Revis then try and bring in Vick and go for a few WRs. Bring in Decker and maybe another big name to keep Vick happy. Atleast you could say they were trying lol