• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban blocking transfers

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a single thing you've said in this paragraph is actually true.

So Saban had to block a graduate transfer from going to another SEC school?

So only underclassmen can transfer to sec schools?

What bs is this?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Saban had to block a graduate transfer from going to another SEC school?

So only underclassmen can transfer to sec schools?

What bs is this?

He didn't block anything, he didn't grant a waiver to ignore the rules.

A grad transfer must have 2 years of eligibility in order to transfer to the SEC. Any other cases must be granted a waiver by the SEC. That is ALL incoming grad transfers, not just SEC ones.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't block anything, he didn't grant a waiver to ignore the rules.

A grad transfer must have 2 years of eligibility in order to transfer to the SEC. Any other cases must be granted a waiver by the SEC. That is ALL incoming grad transfers, not just SEC ones.

You know exactly what I meant. He is not required to not grant a waiver. He just chose not to. If that were the case he would have never relented because he wouldn't of been able too.

Nice try

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know exactly what I meant. He is not required to not grant a waiver. He just chose not to. If that were the case he would have never relented because he wouldn't of been able too.

Nice try

Maurice couldn't offer a valid academic reason for wanting the transfer.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh and everything I said in that paragraph was in fact true. Thanks

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I get what you are saying (onus on the kid to get the classes done and graduate on time) and agree but Calling the kid a whiner for wanting to transfer to school you guys do not play (as Chris black did) was bs. It is what it is. But if Saban really a wanted to continue that onus, he shouldn't have backed down and given that release.

Kid was told the reason he was not being allowed to go to Georgia and that is when he decided to go public. Saban could have continued with his hold out of the release and been within the rules and rights. He decided to release him because he was a distraction and they do not need a whining child pitching a temper tantrum because he did not get his way. If you tell a child no and they pitch a temper tantrum, you call them a whiner. Kid was aptly named.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
badass-mic-drop-brian-cranston-i6TQUuiT5hjSU
It's Napoleon who had the temper tantrum like a little bitch. The kid wants to leave to another school for his last year, after graduating on time. It's his fucking life. He didn't join the Marines he signed up for school and he graduated. But short man complex coach who doesn't need him at all with the talent he has, wants to act like a dictator.
Thats the truth and 4down syndrome and Bandboozle can bullshit and rainbow posts like they have been but it's the truth.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Napoleon who had the temper tantrum like a little bitch. The kid wants to leave to another school for his last year, after graduating on time. It's his fucking life. He didn't join the Marines he signed up for school and he graduated. But short man complex coach who doesn't need him at all with the talent he has, wants to act like a dictator.
Thats the truth and 4down syndrome and Bandboozle can bullshit and rainbow posts like they have been but it's the truth.

Ok, so why does the rule exist to begin with and why has it been there longer than Nick Saban has been at Alabama?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so why does the rule exist to begin with and why has it been there longer than Nick Saban has been at Alabama?
Why was Saban trying to get a 5th year grad QB to go to Alabama earlier this year if he's so against it?
It's not against the rules. You just have to OK it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was Saban trying to get a 5th year grad QB to go to Alabama earlier this year if he's so against it?
It's not against the rules. You just have to OK it.

You do realize we got a grad WR right? You don't have to keep bringing up a QB I don't think we put much effort into(aka couldn't guarantee he would play).

And in order to get that WR, he had to show academic reasons for wanting to transfer - and even then he had to get a waiver from the SEC to do so. He had already graduated and has been with the team for some time now.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize we got a grad WR right? You don't have to keep bringing up a QB I don't think we put much effort into(aka couldn't guarantee he would play).

And in order to get that WR, he had to show academic reasons for wanting to transfer - and even then he had to get a waiver from the SEC to do so. He had already graduated and has been with the team for some time now.

Yes ,they are all 5th year grad students. Yes they all have to apply for a grad school offering something not offered at the school they came from. We are all aware of how it happens. I realize you're getting an education on something many of us already knew. You kept saying some BS about it beeing free agency and how Saban was somehow upholding some rule when he's pursued 5th year seniors which makes him a hypocrite.
I do love your "academic reasons" . Shows you really didn't know anything about this subject just blindly argue anything Saban does.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes ,they are all 5th year grad students. Yes they all have to apply for a grad school offering something not offered at the school they came from. We are all aware of how it happens. I realize you're getting an education on something many of us already knew. You kept saying some BS about it beeing free agency and how Saban was somehow upholding some rule when he's pursued 5th year seniors which makes him a hypocrite.
I do love your "academic reasons" . Shows you really didn't know anything about this subject just blindly argue anything Saban does.

The SEC rule doesn't allow 5th year grad students without a waiver from the SEC, and it's not the same thing as the NCAA's rule.

They must have 2 years of eligibility left.

The rule was put in to prevent 1 and done grad transfers to the SEC, aka college football free agents.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC rule doesn't allow 5th year grad students without a waiver from the SEC, and it's not the same thing as the NCAA's rule.

They must have 2 years of eligibility left.

The rule was put iin to prevent 1 and done grad transfers to the SEC, aka college football free agents.

Doesn't allow without a waiver. Many things have requirements. Was the SEC blocking this kid or was Saban refusing to give the waiver? The QB Saban was pursuing was a 5th year player with one year to play. So it's still makes him look bad. And what SEC player is going to have two years of eligibility left after graduating? Thats like saying only Unicorns can transfer without a waiver.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't allow without a waiver. Many things have requirements. Was the SEC blocking this kid or was Saban refusing to give the waiver? The QB Saban was pursuing was a 5th year player with one year to play. So it's still makes him look bad. And what SEC player is going to have two years of eligibility left after graduating? Thats like saying only Unicorns can transfer without a waiver.

Kids graduate in 3 years all the time. If they redshirt their first year, they have 2 years of eligibility left.

Maurice Smith graduated in 3 years, but he has played since being a true freshman. He only has 1 year of eligibility left as a result, but even if he wasn't granted immediate playing time by the SEC, he could have redshirted this year and still played for Georgia in 2017.

Barrett Jones got a masters degree in the 5 years he was at Alabama.

Alabama had the most players who had already graduated playing in the post season of all college football teams last year. How many do you think it was? 3 or 4? Nope - 29 players had already graduated, and Maurice Smith wasn't even one of them.

That team broke the previous record of 28, which was also set by Alabama in 2014 vs Oklahoma.

Saban/Alabama actually put a good amount of resources into making sure they go to class and graduate.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yours is truly a dizzying intellect.

I guess so for a guy who can't take things into context. You're constantly a prude about college football with a holier than thou attitude about everything, thus the 1st comment, and the 2nd comment is asking you a question because of your "what's best for the kids" argument.

The 2nd question being one that you keep on avoiding answering(yet again with your most recent post) because it points out the need for rules being about competition rather than "what's best for the kids".

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess so for a guy who can't take things into context. You're constantly a prude about college football with a holier than thou attitude about everything, thus the 1st comment, and the 2nd comment is asking you a question because of your "what's best for the kids" argument.
Two things here. First off, when you assert that someone believes something ridiculous in order to ridicule them for it (irrespective of whether or not they actually believe it) you are putting forth a classic straw man argument. It also prevents you from actually addressing the actual point in question. Good job. Now, don't light a match.

Secondly, it is clear that you are grasping at straws (see what I did there?) because the second statement (the question) is completely precluded by the first.

The 2nd question being one that you keep on avoiding answering(yet again with your most recent post) because it points out the need for rules being about competition rather than "what's best for the kids".
Oh. You mean that point I "gladly conceded" a few posts back? Perhaps you forgot . . .

Allow me to clarify. I have no problems with rules that are about maintaining a level playing field, including limiting the number of scholarships a football team can offer. However, I do not put graduate transfer rules in the same category as scholarship limits, because it is a recruiting issue.

What I have not heard you say, is why you think that limiting graduate transfers is a means of maintaining competitive balance. Perhaps you would like to address that gaping hole in your logic.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things here. First off, when you assert that someone believes something ridiculous in order to ridicule them for it (irrespective of whether or not they actually believe it) you are putting forth a classic straw man argument. It also prevents you from actually addressing the actual point in question. Good job. Now, don't light a match.

Secondly, it is clear that you are grasping at straws (see what I did there?) because the second statement (the question) is completely precluded by the first.

It wasn't a strawman, it was hyperbole. You constantly take positions that in general want to put college football back in the leather helmet days(more hyperbole).

Oh. You mean that point I "gladly conceded" a few posts back? Perhaps you forgot . . .

Allow me to clarify. I have no problems with rules that are about maintaining a level playing field, including limiting the number of scholarships a football team can offer. However, I do not put graduate transfer rules in the same category as scholarship limits, because it is a recruiting issue.

What I have not heard you say, is why you think that limiting graduate transfers is a means of maintaining competitive balance. Perhaps you would like to address that gaping hole in your logic.

Grad transfers are recruited, what's the difference?

As for limiting transfers, I'm generally fine with all transfers. But, most transfers have to sit out a year between schools and that helps keep kids from changing programs on a whim(free agency).

In the case of grad transfers, special circumstances can/should allow for someone to be allowed to play right away, but for the most part they probably shouldn't be allowed. It is a form of free agency, even the 2 WR's we got from grad transfers(and the many more we will more easily get in the future). Jake Coker had 2 years of eligibility and didn't need a special waiver.

As for how it makes a difference in maintaining competitive balance, I guess when top teams like Alabama, Ohio St, USC etc start getting an influx of proven grad transfers from smaller schools every year because they want the best chance to win a national championship, get national exposure and get a chance at the NFL it will be apparent.