• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL Power Rankings

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power Rankings: Capitals regain supremacy over Penguins

Gee, Connor McDavid is good. Gee, the Oilers still stink. Go figure. The Oilers have an interesting offseason ahead as they look to move at least one -- if not a couple -- of their key young building blocks from their forward corps.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
power rankings should supersede the draft lottery in determining draft position :whistle:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think ORM had canucks up 1 spot :noidea:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the ORM©, anybody seen comeds lately?

Edit: Looks like he posted on Monday of this week, so he's still kicking around.

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the ORM©, anybody seen comeds lately?

Edit: Looks like he posted on Monday of this week, so he's still kicking around.

he responded to a post i made on the entertainment board ... he let me know hes fine and he was just wet-nursing Carey price back to health

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he responded to a post i made on the entertainment board ... he let me know hes fine and he was just wet-nursing Carey price back to health

Anyone know what Carey Price's license plates have on them? I am developing a theory on his illness.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that you guys need any more ammo to laugh at Power Rankings (especially Scott Cullen power rankings), but I couldn't resist.

7. EDMONTON OILERS 14-10-3
THIS WEEK: 7 LAST WEEK: 8

GF: 2.93 GA: 2.56 SA CF%: 52.3
PP%: 19.0 PK%: 85.7
The Oilers have one regulation win in the past six games, but they also have five points in the past six games, they remain near the top in the Pacific Division. Watching Leon Draisaitl get an offensive boost on the wing with Connor McDavid is solving one issue, but the supporting cast still needs to pull its weight.
Key Injuries: D Brandon Davidson (lower body), D Darnell Nurse (lower-body).

22. CALGARY FLAMES 13-13-2
THIS WEEK: 22 LAST WEEK: 27

GF: 2.46 GA: 2.89 SA CF%: 50.1
PP%: 12.6 PK%: 77.9
The Flames have one regulation loss in the past seven games, and have Johnny Hockey back in the lineup, so they appear to be recovering from a tough start to the year. G Chad Johnson (.928 SV% in 15 starts) has been a big part of the turnaround.
Key Injuries: None.

If the formula/algorithm is no good (and this one isn't), throw it out and come up with a better one.

Rangers back on top of NHL Power Rankings - Article - TSN

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that you guys need any more ammo to laugh at Power Rankings (especially Scott Cullen power rankings), but I couldn't resist.

7. EDMONTON OILERS 14-10-3
THIS WEEK: 7 LAST WEEK: 8

GF: 2.93 GA: 2.56 SA CF%: 52.3
PP%: 19.0 PK%: 85.7
The Oilers have one regulation win in the past six games, but they also have five points in the past six games, they remain near the top in the Pacific Division. Watching Leon Draisaitl get an offensive boost on the wing with Connor McDavid is solving one issue, but the supporting cast still needs to pull its weight.
Key Injuries: D Brandon Davidson (lower body), D Darnell Nurse (lower-body).

22. CALGARY FLAMES 13-13-2
THIS WEEK: 22 LAST WEEK: 27

GF: 2.46 GA: 2.89 SA CF%: 50.1
PP%: 12.6 PK%: 77.9
The Flames have one regulation loss in the past seven games, and have Johnny Hockey back in the lineup, so they appear to be recovering from a tough start to the year. G Chad Johnson (.928 SV% in 15 starts) has been a big part of the turnaround.
Key Injuries: None.

If the formula/algorithm is no good (and this one isn't), throw it out and come up with a better one.

Rangers back on top of NHL Power Rankings - Article - TSN
Basically spots 7 through 25 are interchangable

PARITY!!! In fact statistically speaking, I doubt any team is even 2 standard deviations from the mean this season. It's just been a meh, mediocre, blah, season so far.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically spots 7 through 25 are interchangable

PARITY!!! In fact statistically speaking, I doubt any team is even 2 standard deviations from the mean this season. It's just been a meh, mediocre, blah, season so far.
We might be approaching the point where parity means everybody is meh, blah, very average.

Meanwhile in the NBA, despite the salary cap, superteams are the norm and public attention to the league is sky high.

As long as the NHL is forcing the good teams to jettison players because of cap crunches very good teams aren't going to become great very often and we're going to get meh blah mediocrity.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the NHL is forcing the good teams to jettison players because of cap crunches very good teams aren't going to become great very often and we're going to get meh blah mediocrity.

In addition to the above, this is why I would like to see the 3-2-1-0 point system brought into the NHL. With the emphasis on divisional play, if you have a chance to get 3 points (and your divisional opponent zero points), I think it would be a huge incentive for more exciting play especially in the 3rd period of games. If a game is tied going into the 3rd period these days, more 3rd periods are snoozers with both coaches telling their teams not to take any chances hoping to secure at least one point. Put in the 3-2-1-0 system and at least it's an attempt to make games more entertaining.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might be approaching the point where parity means everybody is meh, blah, very average.

Meanwhile in the NBA, despite the salary cap, superteams are the norm and public attention to the league is sky high.

Welp, there are idiots everywhere (see: election, United States of America). If fans' idea of awesome sports entertainment means that:
  • Stars are treated 1000% different than other players
  • Just about every rivalry ends after 1-2 years because the candy-arsed star from one team gets tired of losing and signs with the team that beat him
  • You know before each season that 1 out of 5-6 teams will be champions that year
  • Tanking is run of the mill for half a dozen teams every year (or maybe it just seems like that the last few years)
...well then the NBA can continue down that route. NBA teams are forced to jettison star players at least as frequently as NHL teams. That league is a joke.

And this is coming from a former fan of the NBA.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, there are idiots everywhere (see: election, United States of America). If fans' idea of awesome sports entertainment means that:
  • Stars are treated 1000% different than other players
  • Just about every rivalry ends after 1-2 years because the candy-arsed star from one team gets tired of losing and signs with the team that beat him
  • You know before each season that 1 out of 5-6 teams will be champions that year
  • Tanking is run of the mill for half a dozen teams every year (or maybe it just seems like that the last few years)
...well then the NBA can continue down that route. NBA teams are forced to jettison star players at least as frequently as NHL teams. That league is a joke.

And this is coming from a former fan of the NBA.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but maybe change 1000% to 100% and aren't those four points also valid in the NHL?

Star players get calls others don't.

Name the rivalries of the past decade - Boston-Montreal, Chicago-Vancouver, PA...how long did any of those hold on for?

I am almost positive that one of Pittsburgh, Chicago, San Jose, Washington, TB or NYR will win the Cup and most of those teams have been in the mix for the last 5 years, more true if you throw the Kings in the mix.

The past two seasons have seen tanking so obvious that fans in a hockey market literally cheered for the opposing team once.

I mean, if we're getting the same byproducts but a better show on the ice what's the argument against it? That the league will lose interest from weaker markets? That's already happening anyway.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First place - Rangers.
Third place - Jackets.

Clearly all the work of the Torts.

Also, this: Key Injuries: None.

Maybe we should have tried that sometime before. Looks like it might actually work.