• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHL Expansion to Seattle 2014-15 ???

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all great speculation until the next strike when the NHL/players decide to set themselves back another decade.

Would be nice to see a team in Seattle, but that might be difficult competing with the Vanc fanbase already establised . . . ? ? ?

:2cents:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all great speculation until the next strike when the NHL/players decide to set themselves back another decade.

Would be nice to see a team in Seattle, but that might be difficult competing with the Vanc fanbase already establised . . . ? ? ?

Not to be "that guy", but it was a lockout by the owners, not a strike by the players. And in the end, what did the lockout achieve? A temporary decrease in the salary cap before it starts rocketing up again and a limit on player contract length, that's really about it.

As for the Seattle market, I worry about a) the number of hockey fans and 2) hockey fans used to paying $15-$20 to watch junior hockey having to pay 4 to 10 times that amount for NHL hockey.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better keep with the tradition of bizarre Pacific Northwest Color schemes, get some neon green/yellow in there, maybe some sort of totem pole/indian reference. Don't let me down future owner.

done and done

701104-SEATTLE-2T.jpg

701104-SEATTLE-4T.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wha???

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the seahawks came up to vancouver to do their off-season caravan, the execs were on the radio talking about the 5 to 10k season ticketholders who come from Vancouver and surrounding area

there is no such materially nominal season ticket fanbase in seattle for the canucks

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyways isnt the NHL / NHLPA cba locked in for at least 6 years (whens that out option kick in?)

and players didnt negotiate expansion revenue to be shared and counted as HRR so they cant get a piece of that, iirc

umm ... me thinks expansion is coming!!!

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think KC should get one too didnt they just build an NHL ready arena just a few years ago to try and get a team. If your going to expand I say do it there.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, the Metropolitans would have probably won the Cup in 1919 except for that nasty flu pandemic that cancelled the series.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glendale is a done deal ... alledgedly ... they are staying ... alledgedly ... ownership change approved by NHL BOG ... alledgedly

Just because it's a done deal doesn't mean it's a *good* deal. :)

Another GTA team would be a success (although I was thinking south - Mississaugua, Hamilton, Oakville). A QC team would also do well. But, they are Eastern Time Zone. And the league will NEVER move the whiny bitch boy's "Furthest west of the East teams" back to the western conference. Not after creating the time zone argument for sending them east in the first place.

So that probably means expansion in Las Vegas to balance the conferences.

:L

Seattle should work, glad to see it going that way. Just the Microsoft and Google money there should make for some good revenue.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think KC should get one too didnt they just build an NHL ready arena just a few years ago to try and get a team. If your going to expand I say do it there.

KC is a good choice, but the Mayor hates Gary Bettman and has essentially told the NHL to eat a bag of dicks.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC is a good choice, but the Mayor hates Gary Bettman and has essentially told the NHL to eat a bag of dicks.

Well who doesnt hate Gary Bettman... Also the NHL kinda jerked them around to begin with told them build it and it will come and then nothing came.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well who doesnt hate Gary Bettman... Also the NHL kinda jerked them around to begin with told them build it and it will come and then nothing came.

Yeah. Someone here clued me into the KC Mayor's twitter feed, which read like a teenager ranting about a teacher. I think it's safe to say that the door on an NHL team in KC is closed until that guy is gone.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, the Metropolitans would have probably won the Cup in 1919 except for that nasty flu pandemic that cancelled the series.

i think i can speak for everyone at SportsHoopla and say we're all happy you shook that virulent bug off dash

:boss:

:bolt:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm against expansion. I feel there are to many teams in the league as it is. Far to many teams around the league lack depth. Some don't even have a true #1 center, defenseman or goalie.

Absolutely. Especially considering the number of Russians and Eastern Europeans in the league isdropping, the talent pool is going to be incredibly watered down. It's kind of like in baseball how there are countless AAA calibre pitchers that are playing large roles for their respective teams. Too much mediocrity and not enough top tier talent to fill the positions.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't feel bad. I like Hamonic, but I don't view him as a #1 defenseman. I don't think Visnovsky is either. Nabby is 37 so it's not like he's a longterm answer in goal for the Isles. Fortunately for Garth there will be some good UFA goalies available next offseason. Miller, Hiller, Halak & Elliott just to name a few. Lundqvist will probably break the bank with a new deal from the Rangers at some point this offseason or during the season. I don't expect him to go anywhere.