• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL to review Perrish Cox sexual assault case

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Haha....just to be clear here, I quoted you directly. You paraphrased mine and changed it in a perfect example of the "strawman" tactic. Do you really not get how this works?

No, I quoted you directly. You're getting incoherent.

By the way, wildly throwing the word "racism" around doesn't work any more. It's no longer a teflon indictment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but I don't know of companies that say "well the courts said you're not guilty, but we're gonna look at the facts and come to our own conclusion". Higher standards is one thing, this is another level.

Employees being fired/laid-off for crimes they didn't commit is not uncommon.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To suggest that Goodell would placate to a completely insignificant and very small minority population

Now back the other way.......I didn't say the "entire nation", nor did I say "completely insignificant and very small minority". In fact, I said a "significant minority" and "vocal minority". Why don't you guys just quote directly and respond, rather than making these fundamental changes to the statements being made? That's how this is supposed to work, its what the quote button is for if you're having a hard time.

The suggestion that racism is nearly dead and buried in America, limited to an insignificant minority, is not just blind to the realities of American identity, but ignorant of human nature in general. Look at the poll numbers on Obama's birther stuff, the sheer number of retarded racists who won't offer even the slightest trust to a black man. Its not even worth discussing with someone unwilling to admit simple realities.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we should stick to the specifics of the Perrish Cox case.

no wait, i already said enough so thanks and i'll move on.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the NFL can only review the case against the NFL player conduct policies. it can conclude the player violated company policies, but they cannot conclude Cox was guilty of court laws.

I think the Donte Stallworth case was the best example we have on hand. When he killed someone while driving over the legal limit, there was outrage and calls for his head. So he goes to trial, and its found that it was actually the pedestrian that was at fault for the accident, and Stallworth is only found guilty of a lesser charge.

But that wasn't good enough for a public that has been primed to jump on DUI offenders with both feet, no questions asked. To most of the public, the drunk is at fault in every accident, no matter what the circumstances. So after Stallworth serves his 30 days, Goodell comes down on him with a year and cites vague "substance abuse and personal conduct" policies, as if they hand out penalties like this all the time for drunk driving.

And really, the real intent came out in this "open letter" to Stallworth - again, if this is about justice this type of thing isn't done in a press release, but this is purely for public consumption:

"In my view, the essential facts are that you had alcohol in your system well above the legal limit, made a conscious decision to drive, and struck and killed a man. As you recognize, this conduct and the loss of life has caused serious damage to the NFL and NFL players generally. Legal arguments that focus on criminal liability under Florida law do not diminish that damage or your responsibility for your conduct."

=

"You made the NFL look bad in the eyes of a public, and though they don't know the facts of the case, we're going to let their outrage determine your fate".

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but its sure how it looks to me. There were far more "essential facts" and typical of braindead pandering to say what he did. If any other reckless drivers in the NFL got anything close to this it would make sense, but this was a one-off punishment based on public outcry.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The suggestion that racism is nearly dead and buried in America, limited to an insignificant minority, is not just blind to the realities of American identity, but ignorant of human nature in general..

Racism doesn't have to be nearly dead & buried for it to become a B.S. accusation people (like you) flippantly assign to issues that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE. You're talking about football fans. A lot of 'em are ready to curse you out or even physically attack you if you say anything negative about their beloved player regardless of his race. Say to a Lions fan Calvin Johnson is overrated and they'll call you an idiot. Same goes for Wes Welker in Boston.

You have to have some kind of evidence before you cite jealousy or racism. Otherwise you're just being a jackass.

Your birther example is a perfect one to highlight why you're wrong. Birthers didn't accuse Obama of not bieng born in this country because he's black. They did so because he lived outside this country for many years and because his father is from Kenya. Nobody's ever accused Roland Burris or Allen West or Herman Cain of not being born here because their parents were all born here. Race has zero to do with it. Schwarzeneger wasn't born in this country; he can't be president.

Don't marginalize real racism by attaching the descrpition to things completely unrelated to race.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now back the other way.......I didn't say the "entire nation", nor did I say "completely insignificant and very small minority". In fact, I said a "significant minority" and "vocal minority". Why don't you guys just quote directly and respond, rather than making these fundamental changes to the statements being made?

Because I'm not trying to quote you I'm trying to correct you. Perhaps I'm being discriminate against this group of racists you seem to think are significant; but, to me, this tiny insignificant group of White, Black, Mexican Asian and other cultures of racists do not speak for me.

They do not represent my ideals, my beliefs or my feelings toward my fellow man and I highly doubt they represent those same characteristics for more than a few % of the population. Thus, to me they are insignificant. Your decision to give these individuals credit for being significant represents your personal choice not mine.

The suggestion that racism is nearly dead and buried in America, limited to an insignificant minority, is not just blind to the realities of American identity, but ignorant of human nature in general.

Now our national identity is that of being a racist nation? My God, Space, exactly what percentage of American’s do you believe are racists as defined by the traditional or original definition of racism? More curiously, why are you insistent that I raise up these individuals and give them the same credentials as you?

Look at the poll numbers on Obama's birther stuff, the sheer number of retarded racists who won't offer even the slightest trust to a black man. Its not even worth discussing with someone unwilling to admit simple realities.

I have looked at those numbers. Am I to gather from your comments that anyone seeking proof Obama was a natural born citizen is a racist? If not then what conclusion are you implying here?

Look, Space I get it that this subject is important to you but this is what you said that I disagree with:

""reviewing the case" and then offering up their own judgment and punishment amounts to re-trying the case. And they do this to satisfy an often irrational public that often wants serious punishments for players for reasons like jealousy or racism."

My response remains unchanged:

"To suggest that Goodell would placate to a completely insignificant and very small minority population whose interests are derived from jealously or racial motivations is beyond senseless."

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Am I to gather from your comments that anyone seeking proof Obama was a natural born citizen is a racist?

Yeah, anyone "seeking proof". Meanwhile, in the real world it wasn't "seeking proof", it was flat out denying in the face of proof. Do you understand this, or are you going to still downplay it? Its a ridiculous tangent for this discussion, but its enlightening about both America and your inability to understand what is happening here.

If you think racism is insignificant in America, wake up. Period, end of discussion. Do you really think one day this was a nation with entrenched, age-old official discrimination against black people, then one day some politicians pass some laws and that stuff just disappears? I can't wrap my head around that kind of naivete.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think one day this was a nation with entrenched, age-old official discrimination against black people, then one day some politicians pass some laws and that stuff just disappears? I can't wrap my head around that kind of naivete.

TBH, I haven't been all that interested in the thread. This point here, struck me, though. You do realize that you're talking about a point in time ~150 years ago. In that time, I think one or two things might have changed, no? It's not like it's the day after the Emancipation Proclamation.