• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL SALARY CAP COULD BE ‘A LOT LOWER THAN EXPECTED’ IN 2021

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely something they're going to need to figure out or there will be Many teams in trouble.

Mahomes to Jacksonville?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just out of hypothetical curiosity.

Does anyone know what would happen to a team that because of cap going down a lot. They werent able to get under the cap? I know that is probably close to impossible to happen but if it were to happen.
What would be the ramifications?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does anyone know what would happen to a team that because of cap going down a lot. They werent able to get under the cap? I know that is probably close to impossible to happen but if it were to happen.

It'll be interesting in Philly as they're currently north of 50 mil over the cap.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe the penalty includes fines and/or loss of draft picks.

I would doubt the NFL would look to fine teams or take their picks away in this instance. Obviously, a lot would have to be worked out if the cap were to shrink by a significant margin.

IMO, the NFLPA wouldn't allow salaries (based on previous year caps) to shrink, and a lot of higher priced veterans would suddenly be on the street with no teams able to really sign them to any deal close to what they have been making. With this being the case, I'd guess the NFL and the NFLPA would have to hammer out something of a provision to allow spending over the cap up to a certain amount.

My guess is that they would allow spending at least up to the 2019 cap, with no increase - though you can bet the NFLPA will fight to increase the number so that salaries can continue to rise. It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess?

They take whatever goes over the cap off of 2021 cap.....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess?

They take whatever goes over the cap off of 2021 cap.....
I could see them doing something like this - but maybe spreading out the "overage" over a 3 year span to lessen the impact.

Regardless, a concession is likely to be made. There's no way the players, or the NFLPA, is going to allow salaries to shrink, which is exactly what would happen should the cap shrink significantly, not to mention how many higher priced players would suddenly be out of a job with little in the way of options for re-signing to any team at a rate close to what they were making.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncapped year coming up.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncapped year coming up.

that has crossed my mind.

also, they could 'borrow' from future years' cap numbers to spread things out over 5 or 10 years.

they really can't go down $50 mill or something. teams and players would never agree to that.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely something they're going to need to figure out or there will be Many teams in trouble.

Mahomes to Jacksonville?
Would upset me, but I can't complain too much. Not everyone gets as spoiled as NE fans, and KC did get a SB out of it. Might even get there one more time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams with salary cap issues could be in trouble.

NFL salary cap could be 'a lot lower than expected' in 2021

I assume there are act of God provisions in these contracts but is that what CV-19 is? The owners have to honor the contracts on the books unless the players agree to something else.

If it happens and I would expect it would happen, they've played with uncapped seasons before. My guess is if there was a drastic drop in the '21 cap, they would resort to an uncapped season.