• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL robs the Steelers

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one wins more huge games on "it's a shit rule, but it's a rule" than the NE Patriots

Should be on a banner hanging outside Foxboro
The only teams that get that call overturned are the Pats and the Cowboys. I guarantee if that was the Browns on defense it's a TD and they don't even review it.

OTOH, it was correctly overturned based on the rule, which is total crap.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, the Steelers still didn't cover Gronk and they called/executed a horrible play at the end of the game.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Like Cubs fans blaming that fan, when Alex Gonzalez made an error the next play.

Doesn't change how the rule contradicts itself. It's worth pointing out.

Now why did you have to go there..........?......:blue:(not sure why I put this guys face on here.......Just to add to the post I guess)lol

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I never want to hear a "Steelers get all the calls" excuse again.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that as soon as the ball breaks the plane, the clock is supposed to stop and it's a TD.

No idea what happened since I didn't see it. But doesn't the ball just have to "break" the plane?

That the ball only has to break the plane for a touchdown is subject to the condition that the receiver already has possession of the ball. To have possession, you have to "complete the process of the catch" by not bobbling the ball as it touches the ground, but the problem was that he did bobble the ball as it touched the ground.

I'm not defending the rule -- I think it's a bad rule -- just explaining how the rule works. Basically, it was a good call of a bad rule.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is a judgement call.

It is a disgraceful rule. It is only a rule for the NFL to save face with the Calvin "catch".

It directly contradicts itself. The rule is a joke.

You take this rule out and a catch becomes a judgement call for officials. Meaning that sometimes that would be called a catch and other times it wouldn't. It would just depend on what official is making the call and his judgement at that moment. That type of inconsistency is terrible.

The rule either has to be like it is as written or you can change it to where the ball can NEVER hit the ground during a catch. It is the only way to bring consistency on what is and isn't a catch from one game to the next.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is a judgement call.

It is a disgraceful rule. It is only a rule for the NFL to save face with the Calvin "catch".

It directly contradicts itself. The rule is a joke.
What's funny is the NFL released an official video explaining the rule, and the guy narrating it even said Ben completed a pass to James once it was caught.

You can't make this stuff up.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He caught it.....it started moving around when he was coming down and stretching out to reach across the goal line.

Pats player wouldn't have dropped it. :D

j/k

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when This first happened to Calvin Johnson.... I dont remember anyone who wasnt a Lions fan upset about it. So until the Rule changes... get over it.
Well, it actually bothers me to this day. If the Lions had actually beaten the Bears in that game, the Packers would have won the division and earned a first round bye that year. Instead we still get to hear they "got lucky" that year and they "backed into" the playoffs because they needed the Giants to lose in week 17 to earn the wildcard spot.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only teams that get that call overturned are the Pats and the Cowboys. I guarantee if that was the Browns on defense it's a TD and they don't even review it.

OTOH, it was correctly overturned based on the rule, which is total crap.

BS the Browns get all the calls. They would have a lot less wins this year if not for the refs

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty simple. Have to survive the ground and the ground can't help you secure the ball. Sorry you guys don't like the rule.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t want to sound like a homer but the Pats won this one from the trenches. Surprised the D made key plays. Lots of unkown faces in there held the Steelers to 24. That is good coaching by the Pats. They do have veterans like Chung, McCourtney and Butler, and the surprising Gilmore. That bunch made crucial plays. Let the secondary carry the load. Brilliant!

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, the Steelers still didn't cover Gronk and they called/executed a horrible play at the end of the game.

Yeah not only not adjusting to cover Gronk, blowing the drive while up by 5 by going 3 and out with a bad play call on third down. Then at the end of the game the last two plays were pointless, the short pass to Bay and then throwing into 5 defenders will never win a game.

Blaming an overturned call that was correct even though the rule is stupid is totally wrong.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb.

That would make perfect sense if he was actually going to the ground during the process of the catch, i.e a diving or sliding catch. Makes zero sense, when he catches it, plant and turns and dives. 2 football moves with control should equal a runner.

If it wasn't a diving catch, why was falling as he caught it ? He has to hang on when he hits the ground. Surely he knew that. The "eyeball test" doesn't make for a good rule.

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understanding how the rule contradicts itself, but this Dumbass thread title of how the NFL robbed the Steelers.....
Bullshit, the Steelers fucked themselves. Stop Gronkowski one time, one drive, game over.
I was thinking the same thing if NE could stop Big Ben and company on a 3rd down.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get butt-hurt.....wasn't talking about you. Elvis and a few of the other idiots.

Why are you complaining about anything, 2 weeks or so ago you had a raiders logo under your avi.
This year they suck so you jump ship...

Are the rams your flavor of the month or some Shit????