• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL robs the Steelers

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he didn't maintain possession to the ground.
That rule is bull shit.

At least it was only the regular season, but if that happens to Geo I on a game winning TD, you’re flipping shit too.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that as soon as the ball breaks the plane, the clock is supposed to stop and it's a TD. If he had caught the ball in the end zone like Calvin Johnson did, then he would have had to maintain possession going to the ground.

Makes sense - but incorrect. Bad rule, correctly called.
If it makes you feel any better, Goodell is madder than hell too!!!!!

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right call by the rule. Shit rule, but it is a rule.

Maybe the Steelers should have let the Pats march down the field with no resistance at all to give the Pats the lead, and then maybe Big Ben shouldn't have thrown an interception after the play to end the game.

Pretty much, don't put yourself in a position for a questionable rule to effect the outcome.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really need to figure out a way to use technology to determine whether it is a catch. Maybe put a chip in the ball that could somehow tell.
Of course two minutes after they put that into effect Belichick would begin looking for someone that could hack into it.....

How is a chip in the ball gonna know when a player's knee is down or if a player is touched down?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... instead of calling some ex-official in New York, just call a bar in a neutral city and take a poll.
It's actually New Delhi. They started outsourcing a couple months ago

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is a chip in the ball gonna know when a player's knee is down or if a player is touched down?
I don't have all the details. If I did I'd be trying to sell it to the league. The chip is just part of it. There's also lasers involved

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be bitching. But it wouldn't change the fact that it was the right call.

No...bullshit call. Replay official should be shot.

James caught the ball. Had solid control as he made a football move to put the ball over the line. TD...play over before ball touched the ground.

Had the same thing happened while stretching for a first down, and the ball had gotten away from him, it would have been called a fumble, not an incomplete pass.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the only reason the ball touched the ground is because he moved it over the goal line. If he went down to the ground without making a football move, the result would have been different.

It's a nonsense rule, and when it's enforced, it is contradictory to it's own rule. i.e. "maintaining control" vs "no control" because you utilized your control of the movement of the football.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give it a Fuckin rest.

The refs nor the NFL beat the Steelers.

The asshole who assigned Sean Davis and only Sean Davis to cover Rob Gronkowski is what beat the Steelers.
Mike Mitchell standing in center field like the newest outfielder for the Pirates instead of helping Davis beat us.
The whole world knew at least 4 times in the 4th quarter the ball was going to Gronk, yet the Steelers coaches decided to leave 6'1" 220 lbs of Davis alone to cover 6'6" 265 lbs of Gronkowski. Stupid stupid stupid coaching, that is what beat us. Fuck the rule, fuck the call, if Gronk gets double teamed, the play doesn't factor into Shit.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense - but incorrect. Bad rule, correctly called.
If it makes you feel any better, Goodell is madder than hell too!!!!!
I don't really care either way. I likely wouldn't root for either team in the playoffs. I just want to know what the right call should be. There rules for completing a catch, and there are rules for scoring a TD. Here is alink to the NFL rules for scoring a TD:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/14_Rule11_Scoring.pdf

Section 2, article 1, part 1. The player established possession by getting two feet down. Then the ball crossed the plane. And then he lost possession going to the ground, thus not completing the process, but should ignored because the play officially stopped when the ball crossed the plane.

Hell, if Dez had gotten the ball across the plane of the endzone in the Packers playoff game, I'd believe the play should be a TD. I wouldn't like it, but that's the way I interpret it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...bullshit call. Replay official should be shot.

James caught the ball. Had solid control as he made a football move to put the ball over the line. TD...play over before ball touched the ground.

Had the same thing happened while stretching for a first down, and the ball had gotten away from him, it would have been called a fumble, not an incomplete pass.

DRShgxLX4AExzNM.jpg:large

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As shitty as it is I'm not sure how you change it. In the past it had to be a few steps and a football move. Half the refs didn't understand football move. Diving across the goalline is as clear of a football move as you can get but they still screwed it up in the past. Basically catch the thing first all the way to the ground and you are ok. People have to understand that RB'S already have the ball so it doesn't matter if they dive. That seems to mix people up...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea what happened since I didn't see it. But doesn't the ball just have to "break" the plane?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care either way. I likely wouldn't root for either team in the playoffs. I just want to know what the right call should be. There rules for completing a catch, and there are rules for scoring a TD. Here is alink to the NFL rules for scoring a TD:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/14_Rule11_Scoring.pdf

Section 2, article 1, part 1. The player established possession by getting two feet down. Then the ball crossed the plane. And then he lost possession going to the ground, thus not completing the process, but should ignored because the play officially stopped when the ball crossed the plane.

Hell, if Dez had gotten the ball across the plane of the endzone in the Packers playoff game, I'd believe the play should be a TD. I wouldn't like it, but that's the way I interpret it.

"but should be ignored because you don't like the rule.....

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give it a Fuckin rest.

The refs nor the NFL beat the Steelers.

The asshole who assigned Sean Davis and only Sean Davis to cover Rob Gronkowski is what beat the Steelers.
Mike Mitchell standing in center field like the newest outfielder for the Pirates instead of helping Davis beat us.
The whole world knew at least 4 times in the 4th quarter the ball was going to Gronk, yet the Steelers coaches decided to leave 6'1" 220 lbs of Davis alone to cover 6'6" 265 lbs of Gronkowski. Stupid stupid stupid coaching, that is what beat us. Fuck the rule, fuck the call, if Gronk gets double teamed, the play doesn't factor into Shit.

I heard the Steelers (on the radio) actually did have someone that could have covered him, guessing Davis wasn't the guy they were talking about... Glad they didn't use him!