• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL news thread

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh would have been a homerun hire for Harris or anyone, but I think he wants Peters and Johnson to be here long term. Sustainable situation. Eventually Harbaugh would have made Harris choose imo.
Good point.

Maybe Harbaugh wants some roster control?
I don't know.

It's amazing that roster control is such a lure for coaches. Ask Ron rivera, mile holgreen, chip Kelly, etc.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

I don't know.

It's amazing that roster control is such a lure for coaches. Ask Ron rivera, mile holgreen, chip Kelly, etc.
Someone in Harbaugh's position deserves a little say so imo.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh would have been a homerun hire for Harris or anyone, but I think he wants Peters and Johnson to be here long term. Sustainable situation. Eventually Harbaugh would have made Harris choose imo.
I don't know.

Someone in Harbaugh's position deserves a little say so imo.
That was the big bone of contention during his time in SF too. He wanted more and more say-so over roster, draft, FA, etc. Power struggled ensued and Harbaugh and the team parted ways (and we sucked for several years afterward, going through 2 more HCs before finding Shanny). Sure looks like we made the wrong choice, but Harbaugh had his flaws (as all coaches do), as he was too attached to Roman as the OC, Kap at QB (whom the league had figured out), etc.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the big bone of contention during his time in SF too. He wanted more and more say-so over roster, draft, FA, etc. Power struggled ensued and Harbaugh and the team parted ways (and we sucked for several years afterward, going through 2 more HCs before finding Shanny). Sure looks like we made the wrong choice, but Harbaugh had his flaws (as all coaches do), as he was too attached to Roman as the OC, Kap at QB (whom the league had figured out), etc.
I might be in the minority, but mixing coach and GM duties is a big no no to me.
We just suffered through 4 years of it.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority, but mixing coach and GM duties is a big no no to me.
We just suffered through 4 years of it.
I feel your pain. Niners also suffered through the HC-is-also-the-GM years with Mike Nolan at HC. Wow, what a shit-show that was!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit that getting a HC job just one year after your first time (college or nfl) calling plays is a big jump. he's got his work cut out for him with the Panthers. Owner is a meddler, Love struggled as a rookie, no real weapons at WR and you don't have a first rd pick. That's a tall order for a rookie HC. Hell, for any HC.

Considering that the last HC in Carolina only lasted 3/4 of a season, I hope Canales demanded more than the usual 4 year HC contract. There is a lot of building to do and a longer deal will help remind the owner of that should he think about firing him early. That's how Shanny and Campbell both got initial 6 year deals.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit that getting a HC job just one year after your first time (college or nfl) calling plays is a big jump. he's got his work cut out for him with the Panthers. Owner is a meddler, Love struggled as a rookie, no real weapons at WR and you don't have a first rd pick. That's a tall order for a rookie HC. Hell, for any HC.

Considering that the last HC in Carolina only lasted 3/4 of a season, I hope Canales demanded more than the usual 4 year HC contract. There is a lot of building to do and a longer deal will help remind the owner of that should he think about firing him early. That's how Shanny and Campbell both got initial 6 year deals.

they cant expect this guy to win right away. agreed.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they cant expect this guy to win right away. agreed.
Campbell, who was one of the really hot candidates at that time, reportedly told ownership in Detroit that it would take 2 years just to get the team pointed in the right direction and it would take luck to get any more than that in just 2 years (which they got some luck in Goff). Shanny had SF over a barrel b/c we'd just fired our last TWO HCs after just 1 year, so the FO knew he needed more than the usual amount of security. Lots of building requires lots of security for the HC in order for them to build anything.

STill, with Canales, does he even have the contacts to build a good coaching staff? I mean, he was the asst. strength coach at USC back in 2009. Climbing to an NFL HC by 2024 is a helluva jump, and he's really only been in Seattle since his time in USC. I think he'll struggled to put together a really good staff (something guys like Harbaugh, Belicheater, Vrabel, Quinn, will handle easily imo).

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell, who was one of the really hot candidates at that time, reportedly told ownership in Detroit that it would take 2 years just to get the team pointed in the right direction and it would take luck to get any more than that in just 2 years (which they got some luck in Goff). Shanny had SF over a barrel b/c we'd just fired our last TWO HCs after just 1 year, so the FO knew he needed more than the usual amount of security. Lots of building requires lots of security for the HC in order for them to build anything.

STill, with Canales, does he even have the contacts to build a good coaching staff? I mean, he was the asst. strength coach at USC back in 2009. Climbing to an NFL HC by 2024 is a helluva jump, and he's really only been in Seattle since his time in USC. I think he'll struggled to put together a really good staff (something guys like Harbaugh, Belicheater, Vrabel, Quinn, will handle easily imo).

true.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don,t know with tepper as an owner how many games he must win to not be fired?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Morriss going to the Falcons, that means Belicheater may be left without a chair when the HC music stops. Who would've thought that?

What was the hold up for a team hiring him? Did he demand too much personnel control? Was his chosen OC still McFailure? Did he demand that Patricia be his DC? honestly think that his hiring of Patricia as his OC in NE a year ago really hurt his standing as a smart coach. B/c that speaks to a HC that thinks "I'm smarter than everyone else" and "I can do whatever I want" and instead he retarded his young QB's growth and just about killed the team. That is the kind of hubris that hurts a HC's chances of getting a new job.