• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL news thread

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the flip side if you go asshole on a player

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the flip side if you go asshole on a player
Let's be clear.....Russ came to Denver a complete diva. The office, the private trainers were gone a year ago. This is Sean Payton using Russ as a deflection to his short comings as a coach this year.

Remember, he came in bashing the previous coach publicly. Talking about how he's never seen coaching like this and they couldn't get a play off. Coaching is a fraternity. This was totally out of bounds.

Now he's throwing Russ under the bus. Wilson has not been terrible this year. Honestly. Payton is a very good coach. I'm just not sure he's as good as he thinks he is. Brees is a top 10 all-time QB and Payton gone one ring out of him.

Russ has a ring as well. Payton should have called Russ into his office, rather than ream him out on national TV. I get it. No favoritism. Honestly, anyone who has ever played a team sport knows that's bullshit.

Jimmy Johnson left the airport because some bench warmer was late for the flight. The reporter asked him if that was Michael Irvin, what he would have done. Jimmy said "we would have waited," with no hesitation.

It's about respect. You would think Payton would know how to navigate and manage different egos in a locker room by now.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear.....Russ came to Denver a complete diva. The office, the private trainers were gone a year ago. This is Sean Payton using Russ as a deflection to his short comings as a coach this year.

Remember, he came in bashing the previous coach publicly. Talking about how he's never seen coaching like this and they couldn't get a play off. Coaching is a fraternity. This was totally out of bounds.

Now he's throwing Russ under the bus. Wilson has not been terrible this year. Honestly. Payton is a very good coach. I'm just not sure he's as good as he thinks he is. Brees is a top 10 all-time QB and Payton gone one ring out of him.

Russ has a ring as well. Payton should have called Russ into his office, rather than ream him out on national TV. I get it. No favoritism. Honestly, anyone who has ever played a team sport knows that's bullshit.

Jimmy Johnson left the airport because some bench warmer was late for the flight. The reporter asked him if that was Michael Irvin, what he would have done. Jimmy said "we would have waited," with no hesitation.

It's about respect. You would think Payton would know how to navigate and manage different egos in a locker room by now.
Payton came into the Broncos with an anti-Wilson attitude. There’s a personal problem here. He also came in trashing the previous coaching staff. That’s not something a classy guy would do.

There was talk before he was as hired that he didn’t want the job because of Wilson. Because of the blockbuster trade and contract extension, if he wanted the job he was stuck with Wilson.

So, if you don’t like your QB you do what you can to force him out. Of course a truly good coach wouldn’t do that. A good coach would figure out a way to meme it work. Especially with a proven top shelf QB.

So now instead of doing what a good coach would do, Payton makes it a public and personal issue.

As far as Payton’s sideline rant goes, he was chewing out his QB for his poor coaching decisions. Payton should have called for an instant replay review. Instead of standing there looking like a puppy which just caught peeing on the carpet, Wilson should have barked back at him and called him out for not making the smart calls. What would Payton have done?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. Thing is, Sean knows Russ is beta and was going to take that. Classless imo. One of the perspective owners for the Skins made a run at him. Might have dodged a bullet. Same guy who allowed bounties to be put on players heads, like these guys aren't human beings with families to look after.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Payton lasts very long in Denver. Quality free agents pay attention to how a coaching staff and management treats their players. This episode does not reflect well on the Broncos organization.

They negotiated a foolish contract and now they are looking for a way out before it actually takes effect.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver screwed up by threatening Wilson with benching him if he didn’t agree to alter his contract. That was an unforced error on team management’s part.

They should have just played out the season and negotiate something in the off season before the March deadline.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know more about the Payton/Wilson issue than I do. It was the outgoing owners who signed Russ. Maybe the Waltons knew and gave the go ahead. Seems if you are selling the team you shouldn't be making any deals.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver screwed up by threatening Wilson with benching him if he didn’t agree to alter his contract. That was an unforced error on team management’s part.

They should have just played out the season and negotiate something in the off season before the March deadline.
They couldn't afford for him to get hurt. I understand the pickle Denver was in. I just think they went about it all wrong.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know more about the Payton/Wilson issue than I do. It was the outgoing owners who signed Russ. Maybe the Waltons knew and gave the go ahead. Seems if you are selling the team you shouldn't be making any deals.

If the ownership group changed after the contract, that’s not really relevant. They are successful business parole and they should know how to things.

I don’t blame the Broncos for wanting to alter the contract. After all, it is a business. The team just went about it the wrong way.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract and the compensation never made sense to me, but the blatant and public disrespect is what I have a problem with. I think Russ ends up in Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure who was responsible for the trade. I work with a huge Broncos fan and it's my understanding that for a while the family was fighting over the team when it was finally sold to the Waltons.

By that time the trade was in place and they held off on it until the sale went through and they got approval from the Waltons.

At least Dan didnt make any big moves on his way out the door. I'll give him that.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract and the compensation never made sense to me, but the blatant and public disrespect is what I have a problem with. I think Russ ends up in Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure who was responsible for the trade. I work with a huge Broncos fan and it's my understanding that for a while the family was fighting over the team when it was finally sold to the Waltons.

By that time the trade was in place and they held off on it until the sale went through and they got approval from the Waltons.

At least Dan didnt make any big moves on his way out the door. I'll give him that.
Pittsburg is a distinct possibility. The Steelers screwed up with that QB they drafted.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s odd is that in another thread in which I can’t respond for whatever reason, people seem to think there’s a clause in Wilson’s contract which says he’s required to “elevate the play of others.” Who in their right mind would think such a clause exists or a player would sign a contract where he’s responsible for the play of others? That notion is senseless.

@LGM could you explain that?

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it’s Wilson’s fault the Broncos defense gave up 70 points to the dolphins and 30+ points to both the sorry Jets and Commanders.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s odd is that in another thread in which I can’t respond for whatever reason, people seem to think there’s a clause in Wilson’s contract which says he’s required to “elevate the play of others.” Who in their right mind would think such a clause exists or a player would sign a contract where he’s responsible for the play of others? That notion is senseless.

@LGM could you explain that?
On this board a qb IS expected to elevate other players play . Russ has been to 2 superbowls and he was never that type of player

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this board a qb IS expected to elevate other players play . Russ has been to 2 superbowls and he was never that type of player
But there’s no clause in a contract which makes that a requirement as someone claimed. I don’t know what the expectations of “this board” has to do with it.

What do you expect? A 100% completion percentage, 500 yards a game and 75 TD passes?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there’s no clause in a contract which makes that a requirement as someone claimed. I don’t know what the expectations of “this board” has to do with it.

What do you expect? A 100% completion percentage, 500 yards a game and 75 TD passes?
You know , there is no clause and I was taking a shot at some posters and their feelings about what qbs should be . You wouldn’t have gotten that . I say you take a Russ Wilson , build around what he does and win as a team . He has been to 2 super bowls doing just that . Sorry about the confusion I caused