• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL news thread

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t make that assumption, I think Trey may have to earn it back which he can
I disagree. It shouldn't surprise anyone if Purdy is simply named the starter. I think the best Trey can hope for is a QB competition where he'll have to actually beat out Purdy to win the job. That'll be tough for Lance to do considering how well Purdy has played in live games. Trey won't simply be handed the job like he was last offseason.
Gentlemen, on this point you're going to have to convince me that it's a sound football judgment to anoint Purdy starter going forward. Here's my counterargument...

Purdy is exactly a slightly more efficient form of Jimmy G. Let's not forget that this is exactly the type of player who convinced them to seek a more dynamic QB for their offense.

Purdy for all of his success, is limited and that was particularly noteworthy in their game against Dallas. All talking points about Dak post-game and their 12-point output, with the exception of those awful turnovers, can be applied to Purdy and I believe will be further made noteworthy against Philadelphia. To be clear, Kyle knows that you can't continuously count on being a front-runner and that there are going to be games where you're going to have to fight your way back into a lead in order to win. Purdy just isn't built for that sort of comeback assault.

I want to exercise caution against jumping on the Purdy bandwagon and I do so knowing that every QB (and there were 3) who the Niners fielded operated well with "That guy" on the sidelines. The mad genius wants his offense to be virtually unstoppable and the added dimension that comes with the 6'4" 225-pound speedster (Lance) gives him something that other teams must account for when game planning against their already really good run attack.

So, let's take a real sober look at Mr. Purdy...At 6' ft 1" and 220 Lbs, he has average arm strength, is not known as a gifted thrower of the football, and tends to be streaky with his accuracy. He does move well, and he’s not nearly as physically imposing as Mr. Lance. To his credit, he has a lot more experience against higher-level competition than Mr. Lance and he has performed pretty well given what almost everyone thought of him pre and post-draft. I'll admit that he could become another "find" like Brady, but given his current employment could also be seen as another version of Taylor Heinicke, even when you factor in his 7-0 record as an NFL starter.

I'll wait for the counter-argument.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the Niners can run the ball well, I don't think they win against Philly. The Niners defense struggles against mobile QBs and has a tendency to give up big plays in the passing game. Sadly, I think this game will be the end of the line.
I completely agree with this statement and offer it as a further argument against installing Brock Purdy as next year's starter. Let's say that it plays out this way and the Niners fall behind forcing them to rely more on their passing game in an attempt to erase that deficit. If Purdy can engineer such a feat then I'll admit that he's earned the nod to be the starter going into next season. If he can't then I'll stick with my position that Lance is that starter with Purdy as his primary backup. BTW: I still think that Purdy will have decent numbers against Philly because Kyle's management skills limit his risk/reward throws and they will be forced to take those against a Philadelphia defense that tackles well. To win this game, the Niners will have to "Dallas" the Eagles... which is to say, play better defense against Philadelphia, than the Eagles will against them.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentlemen, on this point you're going to have to convince me that it's a sound football judgment to anoint Purdy starter going forward. Here's my counterargument...

Purdy is exactly a slightly more efficient form of Jimmy G. Let's not forget that this is exactly the type of player who convinced them to seek a more dynamic QB for their offense.

Purdy for all of his success, is limited and that was particularly noteworthy in their game against Dallas. All talking points about Dak post-game and their 12-point output, with the exception of those awful turnovers, can be applied to Purdy and I believe will be further made noteworthy against Philadelphia. To be clear, Kyle knows that you can't continuously count on being a front-runner and that there are going to be games where you're going to have to fight your way back into a lead in order to win. Purdy just isn't built for that sort of comeback assault.

I want to exercise caution against jumping on the Purdy bandwagon and I do so knowing that every QB (and there were 3) who the Niners fielded operated well with "That guy" on the sidelines. The mad genius wants his offense to be virtually unstoppable and the added dimension that comes with the 6'4" 225-pound speedster (Lance) gives him something that other teams must account for when game planning against their already really good run attack.

So, let's take a real sober look at Mr. Purdy...At 6' ft 1" and 220 Lbs, he has average arm strength, is not known as a gifted thrower of the football, and tends to be streaky with his accuracy. He does move well, and he’s not nearly as physically imposing as Mr. Lance. To his credit, he has a lot more experience against higher-level competition than Mr. Lance and he has performed pretty well given what almost everyone thought of him pre and post-draft. I'll admit that he could become another "find" like Brady, but given his current employment could also be seen as another version of Taylor Heinicke, even when you factor in his 7-0 record as an NFL starter.

You really think Lance will be handed the starting job without a competition? I simply can't see it happening. Why should Purdy not be named the starter or at least be allowed to compete with Lance? Let's take a look.

Purdy has won 8 straight games, but wins can be a team stat. So how did he do individually? In the last five weeks of the regular season (Tampa, @ seattle, Washington, @LV, Arizona), Purdy threw 11 touchdowns, tied with Kirk Cousins and Patrick Mahomes for most in the league, with only two interceptions; his 411 passing DYAR in that stretch trailed only Jared Goff (563), Trevor Lawrence (489), and Mahomes (429). Purdy's numbers look even better if you include the Dolphins game. HE didn't just "Dallas" through those games. He looked like a natural QB--Shanny called him "the most poised rookie I've ever had."

Purdy's playoff stats are better than Jimmy's. His playoff debut was one of the best in history for a rookie QB. Purdy's Prodigious Playoff Debut. In his 2nd playoff game, he was facing one of the best defenses in the NFL, one that led the league in turnovers. BUT, the running game wasn't working. So, One would expect him to fall apart. He didn't. Instead, he looked better than the "seasoned" "more upside" "better measurables" vet on the other team. Like Dak, he was under constant pressure, missed a few throws, but Purdy still played well under the conditions, improvised, and made a few big plays along the way without making the big mistake. He didn't play great, but he played well enough.

Expecting him to throw for 2 TDs in every game is unrealistic. Every QB will have a bad game eventually. Purdy is no exception. That game could come next week, the SB, or next season. That makes him no different than any other QB.

If anyone can do what he is doing, why did the offense improve so much after Jimmy went down? If anyone can do it, the Niners would've had a QB better than Jimmy years ago. Purdy showed more in any single game than Lance has shown since his arrival. Again, I'm not anointing the guy the next Mahomes. I'm saying that after what he has actually accomplished in real games (as opposed to what Lance might do), Purdy deserves to either be named the starter or at least be allowed to compete with Lance.

One has to remember that Purdy is still a rookie. There is no reason he can't improve from where he is now. He can't grow 2 inches or heavily strengthen his arm, but he can get better at reading defenses, anticipation, decision-making, footwork, ball placement, etc. Chances are, Purdy the Veteran would be better than Purdy the Rookie.

That's why I think he'll either be named the starter next year or he will be competing for the starting job against Lance.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with this statement and offer it as a further argument against installing Brock Purdy as next year's starter. Let's say that it plays out this way and the Niners fall behind forcing them to rely more on their passing game in an attempt to erase that deficit. If Purdy can engineer such a feat then I'll admit that he's earned the nod to be the starter going into next season. If he can't then I'll stick with my position that Lance is that starter with Purdy as his primary backup. BTW: I still think that Purdy will have decent numbers against Philly because Kyle's management skills limit his risk/reward throws and they will be forced to take those against a Philadelphia defense that tackles well. To win this game, the Niners will have to "Dallas" the Eagles... which is to say, play better defense against Philadelphia, than the Eagles will against them.
So your opinion of who should start is not only based on one game, but on exact conditions that you require? That's more than a little short-sighted. I doubt the 49ers coaches and front office are that myopic.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. It shouldn't surprise anyone if Purdy is simply named the starter. I think the best Trey can hope for is a QB competition where he'll have to actually beat out Purdy to win the job. That'll be tough for Lance to do considering how well Purdy has played in live games. Trey won't simply be handed the job like he was last offseason.

Jimmy is a FA after the season and he was leaving town anyway. I could see him signing with the Jets, Raiders, or Panthers.

Unless the Niners can run the ball well, I don't think they win against Philly. The Niners defense struggles against mobile QBs and has a tendency to give up big plays in the passing game. Sadly, I think this game will be the end of the line.
Eagles can be run on. Good luck.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think its in the best interest for lance eventually being the starter . they gave up a lot of draft capitol for him getting to the NFC championship game certainly earns purdy some starting qb chips .

what has trey lance shown ? he doesnt have as many pro snaps as purdy does now . he got injured so i am looking at him as the same situation as we have in chase clowney young . a talented guy who flashes but hasnt justified his draft position

now dont get me wrong , if he was available for us to grab him i damn sure would roll the dice but i think there has to be a qb competition next year

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles can be run on. Good luck.
They give up 4.6 yards per rushing attempt, so the Niners are certainly hoping that holds true during the game. The Niner passing offense is largely based on play action, so the running game needs to at least be a threat (no matter who is under center).

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now dont get me wrong , if he was available for us to grab him i damn sure would roll the dice but i think there has to be a qb competition next year
I agree. I think a QB competition is the best Lance can hope for this offseason. I'm not on the "the Niners should trade Lance" train--that is way premature imo.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think Lance will be handed the starting job without a competition? I simply can't see it happening. Why should Purdy not be named the starter or at least be allowed to compete with Lance? Let's take a look.

Purdy has won 8 straight games, but wins can be a team stat. So how did he do individually? In the last five weeks of the regular season (Tampa, @ seattle, Washington, @LV, Arizona), Purdy threw 11 touchdowns, tied with Kirk Cousins and Patrick Mahomes for most in the league, with only two interceptions; his 411 passing DYAR in that stretch trailed only Jared Goff (563), Trevor Lawrence (489), and Mahomes (429). Purdy's numbers look even better if you include the Dolphins game. HE didn't just "Dallas" through those games. He looked like a natural QB--Shanny called him "the most poised rookie I've ever had."

Purdy's playoff stats are better than Jimmy's. His playoff debut was one of the best in history for a rookie QB. Purdy's Prodigious Playoff Debut. In his 2nd playoff game, he was facing one of the best defenses in the NFL, one that led the league in turnovers. BUT, the running game wasn't working. So, One would expect him to fall apart. He didn't. Instead, he looked better than the "seasoned" "more upside" "better measurables" vet on the other team. Like Dak, he was under constant pressure, missed a few throws, but Purdy still played well under the conditions, improvised, and made a few big plays along the way without making the big mistake. He didn't play great, but he played well enough.

Expecting him to throw for 2 TDs in every game is unrealistic. Every QB will have a bad game eventually. Purdy is no exception. That game could come next week, the SB, or next season. That makes him no different than any other QB.

If anyone can do what he is doing, why did the offense improve so much after Jimmy went down? If anyone can do it, the Niners would've had a QB better than Jimmy years ago. Purdy showed more in any single game than Lance has shown since his arrival. Again, I'm not anointing the guy the next Mahomes. I'm saying that after what he has actually accomplished in real games (as opposed to what Lance might do), Purdy deserves to either be named the starter or at least be allowed to compete with Lance.

One has to remember that Purdy is still a rookie. There is no reason he can't improve from where he is now. He can't grow 2 inches or heavily strengthen his arm, but he can get better at reading defenses, anticipation, decision-making, footwork, ball placement, etc. Chances are, Purdy the Veteran would be better than Purdy the Rookie.

That's why I think he'll either be named the starter next year or he will be competing for the starting job against Lance.
This a compelling counterargument for certain, but we've had that situation here in DC with Heinicke... well... a 5-game win streak but perhaps not with the lofty comparisons with others. I honestly can't counter your counter but I think now is the perfect time to pump the brakes on Purdy, after all, I bow to your own expectation of a loss this week and I think that such a loss will come down to QB play against two very good defenses and if that is the case and San Francisco's brain trust having an SB title or bust the greater assessment on Purdy will hinge upon playoff performance. The one-game example is Ok but that's really not a ringing endorsement!

As for next year, I believe that you have it exactly backward... Lance will be penciled in as QB1 with Purdy competing to replace him.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think its in the best interest for lance eventually being the starter . they gave up a lot of draft capitol for him getting to the NFC championship game certainly earns purdy some starting qb chips .

what has trey lance shown ? he doesnt have as many pro snaps as purdy does now . he got injured so i am looking at him as the same situation as we have in chase clowney young . a talented guy who flashes but hasnt justified his draft position

I don't disagree with this either, but I'm still convinced that early in training camp next year, QB1 will be Lance with Purdy and all of his earned chips pushing for the job.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with this either, but I'm still convinced that early in training camp next year, QB1 will be Lance with Purdy and all of his earned chips pushing for the job.
Sty you could very well be right , it wouldn’t be the 1st time I had it wrong

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your opinion of who should start is not only based on one game, but on exact conditions that you require? That's more than a little short-sighted. I doubt the 49ers coaches and front office are that myopic.
Actually, my position is a great compliment to the Niner organization. To be clear, I believe that making the postseason is one level of expectation with this organization. What happens in the postseason is a whole other level of expectation and will carry more weight than anything done in the regular season. Call it myopia if you wish but I liken it to being bothered by their experiences with Jimmy G in the playoffs.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty you could very well be right , it wouldn’t be the 1st time I had it wrong
Yeah, I openly admit that I could be wrong but that is why I enjoy having conversations with folks who are open to insights from others, even when they disagree with those insights. The perspectives of others strengthen all of us, just like iron sharpens iron.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think a QB competition is the best Lance can hope for this offseason. I'm not on the "the Niners should trade Lance" train--that is way premature imo.
Again, I am not disagreeing with you over the competition, but I think that the promise of all of the things that Lance potentially brings to the team puts him at QB1 during the start of the 2024 training camp, with Purdy, no matter what he does this year, especially after considering your prediction of a playoff loss, the real competition for the job. We just disagree with who should or will be QB1 entering their upcoming training camp.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys fire a bunch of coaches (they didn't renew their contracts). Is it a sign of things to come?

In addition to senior defensive assistant George Edwards and running backs coach Skip Peete, the Cowboys have parted ways with offensive line coach Joe Philbin, assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett, and assistant head coach Rob Davis. Two of the coaches being let go, Philbin and Davis, go way back with McCarthy, so it's strange that they are being let go. Unless this is a sign of things to come...

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys fire a bunch of coaches (they didn't renew their contracts). Is it a sign of things to come?

In addition to senior defensive assistant George Edwards and running backs coach Skip Peete, the Cowboys have parted ways with offensive line coach Joe Philbin, assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett, and assistant head coach Rob Davis. Two of the coaches being let go, Philbin and Davis, go way back with McCarthy, so it's strange that they are being let go. Unless this is a sign of things to come...
I look at a skip Peete and ask , why ? Pollard and Zeke formed a great team and were coached and led well .

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like our debate on lance and Purdy is a default because of purdy’s injury . Out at least 6 months with or without surgery and if it’s “ tommy John “ could be a yr