• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL keeps getting younger

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP analysis: The NFL keeps going younger and cheaper

AP said:
Teams are increasingly made up of a few star millionaires and an army of young players earning close to the minimum salary, with a dwindling number of older, journeyman athletes in the middle.

The NFL has already taken some steps to address this. Should/can they do more?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Most teams aren't going with cheaper players for the sake of being cheap so what I think the league could do is raise the cap even more and also create a system where teams can redshirt players and have them not part of the 53 but still have the rights to the players and the players can still fully practice.

I get there is the practice squad but those players can be signed elsewhere and I feel a lot of vets are bumped off teams because a team doesn't want to risk losing a young guy with potential. Whereas if they didn't have to worry about the young guy getting scooped up they would be more inclined to keep a vet instead.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams aren't going with cheaper players for the sake of being cheap so what I think the league could do is raise the cap even more and also create a system where teams can redshirt players and have them not part of the 53 but still have the rights to the players and the players can still fully practice.

I get there is the practice squad but those players can be signed elsewhere and I feel a lot of vets are bumped off teams because a team doesn't want to risk losing a young guy with potential. Whereas if they didn't have to worry about the young guy getting scooped up they would be more inclined to keep a vet instead.
The money would have to come from somewhere. IIRC the cap is essentially a percentage of total league revenues. The exact percentage is negotiated as part of the CBA.