• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Free Agency tracker 2023

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting that the "only time and anywhere" merely exists within the time it took you to write this! If it was the money as you imply then the wealthiest owner in the league would ONLY get the trophy. So, sir, it's NOT the money, it's the achievement!

Mahomes sat, Burrow was inserted into a really good situation and Allen wasn't much until they got him weapons, specifically Diggs.

Do you have adult or near adult children? You kind of express yourself as if young people are or should be all alike at a given age. They aren't I assure you!

My biggest issue with Rivera and his handling of Dwayne is his underhanded selective cowardice as a man and the leader of this team. (Oh look the racist is criticizing a non-white in equal measure) Remember this infamous rant about Wince??

"Everybody wants to keep saying I didn't want to do anything with Carson, well bull----," Rivera said Thursday night at his postgame news conference. "I'm the f------ guy that pulled out the sheets of paper, that looked at the analytics, that watched the tape, and the freaking when we were in Indianapolis. OK. And that's what pisses me off because the young man doesn't deserve to have that all the time. I'm sorry, I'm done."

Now, I absolutely defy anyone to find such a defense of Haskins, or anything close. Perhaps it takes him a while but to be fair to Rivera that Wince rant may have been an accumulation of personal disappointments going back to when he set his number one priority as getting the QB issue resolved.

During the head coach's end-of-season press conference on Sunday, Rivera made it clear that figuring out the future of the QB position is a top priority for his club this offseason. "The quarterback is probably one of the most important things we have to get done and get established," Rivera said. (That was after the 2020 season)

His cowardice has legs...

Let’s take a look at what he and Mayhew said.

One of the more indisputable things about the quarterback position was that the right one makes the entire roster better. “Yeah. I think if we’re fortunate enough to find that guy, identify that guy, and have that guy on our football team, then yes.” Rivera said on the matter. “I’ll point to the fact that our first season here when we moved some people around and [former Washington QB] Alex Smith came in, and we really saw that development and growth. That to me, is what a good quarterback can do for you is he elevates the play of the people around him. He manages the games, he distributes the ball and, when needed, makes plays. That’s what you look for. That’s what you gotta have. To your question, that’s exactly what he does.”

Although Smith could not finish the way he would have liked last season, Rivera made an excellent point about how a professional, experienced quarterback would look in offensive coordinator Scott Turners’ offense. Mayhew agrees with Rivera, too. “I mean as we talked about, quarterback is the most important position on the field,” Mayhew said following Rivera’s response. “He is gonna elevate the other players around him, and having a good quarterback helps your defense as well. So, that’s gonna be a key decision. It’s something we’ve been talking about for months now and we will get it done.”

Looking at recent years, Mac Jones was drafted 15th overall, Justin Herbert sixth overall, Lamar Jackson 32nd overall, Patrick Mahomes 10th overall, Deshaun Watson 12th overall, and Dak Prescott 135th overall. So, Mayhew is comfortable with this route, but what about Rivera? The following is telling and it gives us a brief look at his attitude toward the young Haskins.

Rivera was asked about heading into his third year in Carolina compared to Washington. “Well, the big difference being in Carolina, when I got there, the attitude was, if we’re going to take a quarterback early, we had to make sure the offensive line could protect him, and we had enough playmakers around him, and we were very fortunate with the playmakers, to begin with,” Rivera said about the initial difference between Carolina and Washington.

“I feel we have a pretty good nucleus right here that if we did do that with a rookie, I wouldn’t be afraid to play him because you’re bringing them here for one reason, that’s to play. If you draft him, are you guys going to be patient enough to give me two seasons? Are you guys going to be patient enough if I don’t play him? So, if we do that, we’re doing that to play him. I’m not doing it to have him wait, because again, it is about, like I said, to me, the third season is when you take another step and hopefully, we’ve done the things with the other positions that would warrant us, finding the guy to put in and get ready to roll whether it comes from one of those four avenues or not. That’s the important thing that we have to decide on.” (This was after the 2021 season)

Does anyone remember his response to his own concerns? Did he go young ala Haskins or did he temporarily quell his fears with a veteran? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I give you one Carson Wince!! (and that subsequent rant)

18 year old son. Imperfect as we all are but he knows how to work. He doesn’t party and has his priorities pretty well in line. It is how he was raised to be. I know all children are not the same but all children are capable of being responsible. When they aren’t, it is their own fault.

I am not excusing RR. I am also not excusing Haskins. Haskins didn’t put in the work to improve…bottom line. Either that, or he was just incapable of playing well at the professional level. For any organization to cut a third year QB, that QB is seriously flawed.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tenow was extremely successful in college, far surpassing the career of Haskins, why couldn’t the NFL make him great? Because college is not the NFL. Brady was essentially ass in college…made for a slightly above average pro.

Ron Rivera being bad at developing talent does not excuse a young player for not doing their part.
Tebow ran a non-pro offense in college (spread option) and almost rushed for 1,000 his senior year. He was a human battering ram in college and had 14 TDs rushing. He had 200 rushing attempts and 300 passing attempts. He was a pure dual-threat QB who ran an option-based offense.

He was over-hyped in the NFL and was drafted way too high. Any SEC fan would have told you Tebow was not going to be an NFL QB. He wasn't fast enough and ran an offense where he had just 1 read. Having watched many FL games, Tebow generally had 1 read and then took off down the field. That is not a good foundation for being an NFL QB.

Tebow and Haskins were very different players in college.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see it’s easy now to say Haskins should’ve sat for a year or two, but I don’t remember anyone other than sty saying it at the time.
Does it matter if only Sty who said Haskins should have sat? What matters is the current HC/Staff did not recognize this. Shame on them.
Ron gave the boy several chances.
Was Haskins given a REAL chance in year 1 at 19 years old with Turner and Rivera, the QB whisperers?
How do you know EB would make a better HC?
His experience and knowledge under Reid for 10 years and 2 SB rings gives him instant creditability, don't you think?
Nobody included his black gm at the bears would hire him as HC.
If you are saying EB's past prevented him from becoming a HC, you could be right.
Now about that sitting for a year. Well Howell basically did and RR is catching hell for it from the fanbase.
I'm betting that Howell sitting a year will only be beneficial to him and has provided valuable teaching lessons watching guys like Wentz & Hieneke fumble f#ck around all season.
On to the “nepotism” about Ron. I remember the same shit said about shanahan, but now everyone including me says Kyle should’ve been the HC here, I also remember when Mcvay was OC the same shit was said about him as far as playcalling. There you have it, probably my longest post on the hoop ever. Lol
C'mon, Ron has been nothing but nepotism since day 1. Hand the keys to EB, watch what happens with that nepotism crap.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow ran a non-pro offense in college (spread option) and almost rushed for 1,000 his senior year. He was a human battering ram in college and had 14 TDs rushing. He had 200 rushing attempts and 300 passing attempts. He was a pure dual-threat QB who ran an option-based offense.

He was over-hyped in the NFL and was drafted way too high. Any SEC fan would have told you Tebow was not going to be an NFL QB. He wasn't fast enough and ran an offense where he had just 1 read. Having watched many FL games, Tebow generally had 1 read and then took off down the field. That is not a good foundation for being an NFL QB.

Tebow and Haskins were very different players in college.

OK…so now the college career is no longer the key. Tebow was not over-hyped based on his college career. He simply wasn’t an NFL QB. They have to run pro-style offenses. Look at every Alabama QB…wait, Ryan Leaf, Heath Schuler, and Jeff George. The list of great college QBs that failed in the NFL is extensive, even if they succeeded in college at running pro-style offenses. There are also a list of QBs that succeeded even though they didn’t run pro-style offenses in college.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haskins problems were created by Haskins .... NOT RR. It is a bullshit excuse. As was pointed out he was a backup to Mason Rudolph. Some of you need to quit making excuses for guys who don't deserve them.

As far as Ryan Day goes .... it worked out for Ohio State but it worked out better for LSU that Burrow was the superior QB transferred.

College coaches make mistakes too. James Franklin decided Sean Clifford was the better QB than Levis ... that can be seriously questioned.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said Ryan Day was perfect???? I actually don't care for Ohio St.

I simply said I trusted Ryan Day over Rivera.

One coach knows what he is doing...the other doesn't.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One coach is in the minor league the other coach is in the pros

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say in this case Day didn't and RR did.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to look it up now but it might have been Urban at that time.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Klieman says championships are not won on the field they are won from Jan-Aug what does that mean? It means putting in work in the off-season. Right know there is a guy pounding the stone watching film working his ass off etc . Right now there is 1 year vet on a boat chilling drinking acting like a 16 kid .. wonder who will have a better career. Manning after a game went home study game film for 12 hrs probably sacfrice realionships in the process.. It's Not RR or Grudens Fault on Haskins its Haskins fault ..Haskins was at clubs 2 hrs after a game win or lose ... Peyton manning would be at home watching film. ..success comes when you work and everybody else is asleep

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culture is important has RR change the culture sure is there more work to be done sure .. RR did not fail player A Player A failed because he gave up worked less etc etc .. Most books take 4 to 8 hrs to read but yet on Avg it takes someone 3 to 5 days why?? The people who take 3 to 5 days they are reading but they don't put in the big time effort.. in sports you have to be that guy who starts a book at 5pm and finish at midnight and starts another you have to be that guy who reads 5 books a week vs the people who read 1 book every 3 to 5 days . Which was Haskins in this case??

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. The NFL has tons of ex-college QBs who were studs and did not transition well in the NFL. I agree.

I also agree that a QB must hone their craft and continue to progress and learn. Work ethic is huge and self-discipline is invaluable to get anywhere as an NFL QB.

Haskins CLEARLY had his struggles in these areas and more. The bottom line is that Rivera didn't even give him a full year to improve/figure it out. I think the decision was made much too soon. I don't think anything Haskins did was unforgivable. Perhaps there was a serious transgression of sorts that was never reported?

What I do know is that the picture Rivera painted was far different than the one Day painted. I also know that Rivera literally had 1 successful QB in his 12 years as a HC. I think patience and proper coaching would have helped of course. I am not saying it is 100% Rivera's fault BUT history is NOT on Rivera's side when it comes to success and developing QBs.
I tried to support Haskins but it was obvious he wasn’t a force multiplier and he simply didn’t improve

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke, this response here deserves no poop or clown emojis. I give you credit for speaking your opinion on matters. In fact, Haskins was "short changed" in DC, that much was very clear. For a man who claims he has a military background (Because Dad was military) surely didn't show much patience with a immature yet talented football player who was so young, he likely should have sat a year if not 2 coming out of OSU with one season under his belt.

I know one thing, jettisoning Haskins out of here changed the trajectory of his life which sadly ended at a young age. Not saying Ron is responsible, I'm just saying Ron gave up on a young man WAY too soon for someone known as a players coach, and is widely respected by others around the league.

We may one day look back and chalk this regime up to just another Zorn or Spurrier era that was nothing more than poor decision making, poor roster construction and no real identity. Sound familiar? Early 2022 we were throwing it all around, then we became a running team in the 2nd half of the season once they realized they had chit for QB's. Now we have hired EB and it seems as if he will identify what this offense will be. Maybe Ron & Martin can stay out of the way of this offensive reconstruction.

Perhaps once new ownership is in place, Ron hands the keys over to EB and this organization can press the reset button of sorts, take a deep breathe with things left in good hands, HC Eric Bienemy.
(Yes, I'm advocating paying Ron to move on)
In the military I don’t have time to nurse maid immaturity in soldiers . You are costing lives of my soldiers because of your BS . If I can’t trust you , you are gone period .

you talk about RR not trusting Haskins . Well what did Haskins do to earn trust ? Not look at tape on the sidelines? Taking selfies instead taking snaps ? Sneaking people in his room during the BS lock downs ? How does that earn or deserve trust ?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One coach is in the minor league the other coach is in the pros
That is true.

One is a top 3 coach in the "minor league" and one should be out of the league in the "pros".

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to support Haskins but it was obvious he wasn’t a force multiplier and he simply didn’t improve
That is true. You did support Haskins when he was drafted. I do remember that.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true.

One is a top 3 coach in the "minor league" and one should be out of the league in the "pros".
Apples to oranges. BTW, I never complained about them drafting him at the time

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lamar ? Not now

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apples to oranges. BTW, I never complained about them drafting him at the time
I wish we had more apples (Day) than oranges (Rivera)..LOL

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Klieman says championships are not won on the field they are won from Jan-Aug what does that mean? It means putting in work in the off-season. Right know there is a guy pounding the stone watching film working his ass off etc . Right now there is 1 year vet on a boat chilling drinking acting like a 16 kid .. wonder who will have a better career. Manning after a game went home study game film for 12 hrs probably sacfrice realionships in the process.. It's Not RR or Grudens Fault on Haskins its Haskins fault ..Haskins was at clubs 2 hrs after a game win or lose ... Peyton manning would be at home watching film. ..success comes when you work and everybody else is asleep
I apologize, I don't respect the Big 12 and didn't read the rest of the post.