• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL fines Polamalu for calling his wife to let him know he was ok

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell is a dictator. I miss Tagliabue.

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Like you said: he should have had one of the coaches call. There are a hundred different ways he could've gotten word to his wife he was ok. $10,000 phone call for him. I hope it was worth it.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get fined because they don't want even a question that they might be communicating with bookies, they want to protect the integrity of the game. Tough fine but I'm sure he decided he could afford it before he called.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said: he should have had one of the coaches call. There are a hundred different ways he could've gotten word to his wife he was ok. $10,000 phone call for him. I hope it was worth it.

Absolutely. Those Steelers just can't catch a break.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a bullshit fine,but he should know the rules

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get fined because they don't want even a question that they might be communicating with bookies, they want to protect the integrity of the game. Tough fine but I'm sure he decided he could afford it before he called.

Considering he had a concision his thinking probably wasn't to sharp.

I think it's funny that we stress player safety to the point that players think it's soft, but when a player is actually injured, he can't handle his family obligations. I don't even care if it's a rule. If I played I'd break it every time. No rule would stop me from giving my family some peace of mind.

Being a rule doesn't always make something right.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome to the national anal league

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone ask Troy if he cared? 10k is nothing to guys making a ton of money. He'll make that this weekend on Head & Shoulders royalties. He may have wanted to put his family at ease. A rules a rule and he should get fined. Now, I've always been surprised about how they dole these out on a relative basis. $10k for this vs. $7.5k on a chop block seems a little odd. Also when a random guy making $10 million gets a $15k fine and another guy making $350k gets a $15k fine for the same violation, that doesn't seem like it will have the same impact on the two players. I think there's a better system out there......I just don't know what it is.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is this his appealed amount or the preliminary published amount? Also, and contrary to the title of this thread, he was not fined for calling his wife, although that is a romantic attempt at soliciting empathy, he was fined for violating league policy. Not only should he be fined, so to should the Steelers for allowing him to have a cell phone on the sideline in the first place.

As for standing on the sideline and calling his wife, wtf? Does his wife not know what he does for a living? Could his wife not ascertain that he was okay just by the fact that he was STANDING ON THE SIDELINE? Was he wheeled to the sideline on a stretcher with a neck brace, an IV and six attending physicians? What a tool, (but I would still love to have him on my team).

Caps Revenge

Let's Go Caps!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserved the fine for violating policy. Simple as that. Personally, I like Goodell...I'm also glad he's acting like a dictator, That's what he should be doing. This league has been heading to the fucking ghetto for years. Remember when we all used to get pissed because million dollar atheletes were never getting in trouble and facing consequences for their actions? Everyone was like "What the fuck? If I got caught with drugs or smacked my wife around or illegally carried a gun or anything else like that, I'd be in jail and lose my job!" Now that someone has stepped up with big enough balls to actually discipline these overpaid fucks, everybody is whining that they're being treated unfairly. You can't have it both ways, people.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
welcome to the national anal league

lol-But looking at Troy who isn't a trouble maker, the NFL should have made a better decision - with every rule is an exception, believe that- So when Jim Schwartz isn't fined for almost throwing blows as a HC it's one of those that makes you go hmmmm!!!! really?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol-But looking at Troy who isn't a trouble maker, the NFL should have made a better decision - with every rule is an exception, believe that- So when Jim Schwartz isn't fined for almost throwing blows as a HC it's one of those that makes you go hmmmm!!!! really?

So guys that aren't trouble makers should be allowed to have cell phones on the sideline, but trouble makers aren't?

Do you have the list of players who are *NOT* trouble makers that are allowed to have phones so this rule can be enforced properly?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If I had to wager a bet, I would bet if Polamalu had 'almost' called his wife on the sideline instead of actually doing it, he would not have been fined either.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules are the rules, you think every wife wouldn't love a phone call after she sees her husband get injured? Just because he is a "good guy" that doesn't make it OK for him to get special treatment. They should have taken him to the locker room to make that call, just like everyone else.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to wager a bet, I would bet if Polamalu had 'almost' called his wife on the sideline instead of actually doing it, he would not have been fined either.

This will be repped...

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 grand big deal,let it go

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this his appealed amount or the preliminary published amount? Also, and contrary to the title of this thread, he was not fined for calling his wife, although that is a romantic attempt at soliciting empathy, he was fined for violating league policy. Not only should he be fined, so to should the Steelers for allowing him to have a cell phone on the sideline in the first place.

As for standing on the sideline and calling his wife, wtf? Does his wife not know what he does for a living? Could his wife not ascertain that he was okay just by the fact that he was STANDING ON THE SIDELINE? Was he wheeled to the sideline on a stretcher with a neck brace, an IV and six attending physicians? What a tool, (but I would still love to have him on my team).

"Polamalu was fined $10,000 for calling his wife to let her know he was fine after suffering a concussion."

It was in the article. So blame ESPN rather than me. :p