• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope we try our luck drafting a quick CB who can run with Jaxon Smith-Njigba? It'll be a short CB but we have to try and get an outside guy with pure coverage ability. There are no more top CB prospects with all the measurables nor all the qualities, so i'll take the ability to run and cover quick WR's. Too short, thats ok. Can't tackle well, thats ok.

Ok, we won't get a decent OT prospect but that's understandable being the end of Round 3. No sense forcing a Need pick only to have him 'bust'. We can still try our luck tomorrow but at least we're not burning a higher pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Latu isn’t a great blocker yet, but he can play in line or on the move, and that ability to line up all over the field is a good starting point. Some coaching and playing alongside Kittle should help him in the blocking department. If he continues ascending as a pass catcher (he had zero catches through his first three seasons at Alabama) he should be the 49ers’ No. 2 TE right away."

Ok, if this is true about his blocking, then do these other qualities make up for it? If he isn't 'great' at blocking, is he at least 'average'?

I get we're not going to get any TOP prospect this late, but getting a TE who can halfway block was important. Even if he wasn't the greatest pass catcher, thats ok if he can halfway block. There are always pass catching TE's in every draft.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess the 49ers braintrust didn't feel the Online was in need of help. What am I missing?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I guess the 49ers braintrust didn't feel the Online was in need of help. What am I missing?
It might be we fans are missing the fact our current back-up O-linemen are better than we think? This is similar to last season where we were all concerned with Banks and Brendel, that these back-ups are now starters. Not saying our current back-up linemen are all GOOD, but no prospect left on the board would supplant them the following season.

I prefer drafting on the BPA side anyway and other than Latu, seems like we did. We started at the very end of Round 3 and at this point, there are no TOP prospects left.

Today we might think why draft 2 more LB's, but things change quickly in the NFL.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be we fans are missing the fact our current back-up O-linemen are better than we think? This is similar to last season where we were all concerned with Banks and Brendel, that these back-ups are now starters. Not saying our current back-up linemen are all GOOD, but no prospect left on the board would supplant them the following season.

I prefer drafting on the BPA side anyway and other than Latu, seems like we did. We started at the very end of Round 3 and at this point, there are no TOP prospects left.

Today we might think why draft 2 more LB's, but things change quickly in the NFL.
True enough. The NFC Championship proved that sure enough

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True enough. The NFC Championship proved that sure enough
Yes, we have a team that can legitimately go all the way, and its based on the last four drafts. IF Lance can only take two steps up........ haaaa

Going into this draft we knew it was for 2024 and beyond. We also knew we weren't going to get many sure fire starters down the road without some draft luck. So while the odds are still low for day 3 picks to become starters, seems a few have a chance to start and the rest a chance to play roles.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Round 3: 87th-Overall - S Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn State​

I like the move up to get him. We're not only needing a safety for next year when Gipson retires, but we are woefully thin at the position behind our starters. Everything I read on the guy says he's a very instinctual player and that's important for a safety. Fine pick.

Round 3: 99th-Overall - K Jake Moody, Michigan​

I get why we took Moody--he was the best kicker in college last year. I don't get why we took a PK with the 99th pick. I mean, why not pick 101? That makes me think this pick was preordained by the FO. I think this was a full round reach. It would be different if the guy could routinely hit 60+ yarders. Taking a PK with a 3rd rd pick is crazy, so I wasn't a fan.

Round 3: 101st-Overall - TE Cameron Latu, Alabama​

Our 2nd consecutive reach and Latu is an ever bigger reach than Moody was. Latu seems like he's an ok blocker and an ok pass catcher, but not really good at either one (sounds like our current backup TEs). He's had an issue with dropped passes in college too. I get that we needed at #2 TE behind Kittle, but this was too early for a guy like Latu.

Round 5: 155th-Overall - CB Darrell Luter Jr., South Alabama​

I liked this pick. He's long and explosive. It says something that he even got invited to the senior bowl, but He had good reports from his practice time there too. It's looking like Ambry THomas's time on the roster might be coming to an end.

Round 5: 173rd-Overall - DL Robert Beal Jr., Georgia​

Another pick that I liked. Beal wasn't a starter at UGA. He's a height, weight, speed pick. 6'4", 250 and runs a 4.5. He's a raw player right now. I think this was aimed at ST with a hope that the DL coaching staff might be able to develop him into a serviceable rotation player.

Round 6: 216th-Overall - LB Dee Winters, TCU​

Winters would've been drafted higher if he weren't so short. He's under 6 feet. If you ignore his height, he was a very productive LB in college with good speed and awareness. He'll likely be ticketed for ST for a year or so, but he could easily end up in the competition to be Al-Shaiir's replacement (along with McRary-Ball and Robinson).

Round 7: 247th-Overall - TE Brayden Willis, Oklahoma​

I liked this pick as well. He's very experienced at TE. Caught a lot of TDs and did a lot of blocking. Willis's pick is an eye toward making him an Hback, movement TE (he's likely too light right now to be a FB). Kind of what we hoped Dwelley would be. In addition, Willis could be backup FB in this offense b/c he can block, run, and catch. This is worth the 7th rd gamble to see if he can develop and fit into the offense.

Round 7: 253rd-Overall - WR Ronnie Bell, Michigan​

Not a huge fan of this one. Bell was the leading receiver at Michigan last season. It's weird that he's on the board at this point in the draft imo.

Round 7: 255th-Overall - LB Jalen Graham, Purdue​

Was a 3 year starter at Purdue, but it appears he's a ST pick for us.

Overall, I give this draft a C. Our 3rd rounders were 1 good pick and then 2 reaches. Our Day 3 picks really saved the overall grade imo.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Round 3: 87th-Overall - S Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn State​

I like the move up to get him. We're not only needing a safety for next year when Gipson retires, but we are woefully thin at the position behind our starters. Everything I read on the guy says he's a very instinctual player and that's important for a safety. Fine pick.

Round 3: 99th-Overall - K Jake Moody, Michigan​

I get why we took Moody--he was the best kicker in college last year. I don't get why we took a PK with the 99th pick. I mean, why not pick 101? That makes me think this pick was preordained by the FO. I think this was a full round reach. It would be different if the guy could routinely hit 60+ yarders. Taking a PK with a 3rd rd pick is crazy, so I wasn't a fan.

Round 3: 101st-Overall - TE Cameron Latu, Alabama​

Our 2nd consecutive reach and Latu is an ever bigger reach than Moody was. Latu seems like he's an ok blocker and an ok pass catcher, but not really good at either one (sounds like our current backup TEs). He's had an issue with dropped passes in college too. I get that we needed at #2 TE behind Kittle, but this was too early for a guy like Latu.

Round 5: 155th-Overall - CB Darrell Luter Jr., South Alabama​

I liked this pick. He's long and explosive. It says something that he even got invited to the senior bowl, but He had good reports from his practice time there too. It's looking like Ambry THomas's time on the roster might be coming to an end.

Round 5: 173rd-Overall - DL Robert Beal Jr., Georgia​

Another pick that I liked. Beal wasn't a starter at UGA. He's a height, weight, speed pick. 6'4", 250 and runs a 4.5. He's a raw player right now. I think this was aimed at ST with a hope that the DL coaching staff might be able to develop him into a serviceable rotation player.

Round 6: 216th-Overall - LB Dee Winters, TCU​

Winters would've been drafted higher if he weren't so short. He's under 6 feet. If you ignore his height, he was a very productive LB in college with good speed and awareness. He'll likely be ticketed for ST for a year or so, but he could easily end up in the competition to be Al-Shaiir's replacement (along with McRary-Ball and Robinson).

Round 7: 247th-Overall - TE Brayden Willis, Oklahoma​

I liked this pick as well. He's very experienced at TE. Caught a lot of TDs and did a lot of blocking. Willis's pick is an eye toward making him an Hback, movement TE (he's likely too light right now to be a FB). Kind of what we hoped Dwelley would be. In addition, Willis could be backup FB in this offense b/c he can block, run, and catch. This is worth the 7th rd gamble to see if he can develop and fit into the offense.

Round 7: 253rd-Overall - WR Ronnie Bell, Michigan​

Not a huge fan of this one. Bell was the leading receiver at Michigan last season. It's weird that he's on the board at this point in the draft imo.

Round 7: 255th-Overall - LB Jalen Graham, Purdue​

Was a 3 year starter at Purdue, but it appears he's a ST pick for us.

Overall, I give this draft a C. Our 3rd rounders were 1 good pick and then 2 reaches. Our Day 3 picks really saved the overall grade imo.
In general i have similar opinions at each pick, but going with a C+ grade.

No one liked the Kicker in Round 3 but if you evaluated Moody as by far the best, i get it. Two PK's went in the 4th so like they said, if you wanted the BPA kicker, you had to do it then. As in all draft picks, if he pans out as projected, Moody will be a good pick at the end of Round 3.

Agree Latu is a bigger reach than Moody. If you were going to reach here, why not reach for a potential future LT? I know the odds of getting a starting LT is low at this point, but i'd have done that over Latu. It just doesn't seem like Latu has the potential to become a future #1 TE?

Seems like a good chance they continue their good drafting in Round 5. Luter is the guy who might run with Jaxon Smith-Ngabja (haaa), and Beal seems to really fit our Wide 9 scheme? Since Beal already has all that natural athletisism, he could really excel in year 2.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general i have similar opinions at each pick, but going with a C+ grade.

No one liked the Kicker in Round 3 but if you evaluated Moody as by far the best, i get it. Two PK's went in the 4th so like they said, if you wanted the BPA kicker, you had to do it then. As in all draft picks, if he pans out as projected, Moody will be a good pick at the end of Round 3.

Agree Latu is a bigger reach than Moody. If you were going to reach here, why not reach for a potential future LT? I know the odds of getting a starting LT is low at this point, but i'd have done that over Latu. It just doesn't seem like Latu has the potential to become a future #1 TE?

Seems like a good chance they continue their good drafting in Round 5. Luter is the guy who might run with Jaxon Smith-Ngabja (haaa), and Beal seems to really fit our Wide 9 scheme? Since Beal already has all that natural athletisism, he could really excel in year 2.
Latu doesn't seem like he has the tools to be a starter. Like he's a poor man's OJ Howard. Even Kittle was excellent at blocking, but just didn't get a lot of chances to catch passes in college. Latu had plenty of chances on a loaded offense with a good QB and he still just so-so.

Good point on Beal's potential scheme fit. The TC and PS will go a long way in telling us what we have in Beal. No one should expect great things at this point, but unlike Latu, Beal DOES have all the potential to succeed.

I'm very interested to see what Willis can do. I think he's going to get a lot of chances to show what he's got in the offseason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Latu doesn't seem like he has the tools to be a starter. Like he's a poor man's OJ Howard. Even Kittle was excellent at blocking, but just didn't get a lot of chances to catch passes in college. Latu had plenty of chances on a loaded offense with a good QB and he still just so-so.

Good point on Beal's potential scheme fit. The TC and PS will go a long way in telling us what we have in Beal. No one should expect great things at this point, but unlike Latu, Beal DOES have all the potential to succeed.

I'm very interested to see what Willis can do. I think he's going to get a lot of chances to show what he's got in the offseason.
"OJ Howard".....That much potential eh.....haaaaa

Yes, at least Beal has some atheltic traits to work with, whereas didn't read or see (Youtube) anything on Latu? Anyway, we're fans and certainly hope Latu pans out. As a 3rd rounder he'll be given all the opportunity.

We have too many large contracts now and next year, Juice is an easy target. Would be nice if Willis can fill that role even if not quite as good. There will be serious cap considerations next off season and restructuring more contracts isn't good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While the current interest is about these draft picks and UDFA's (for good reason), LAST year's draft class will make much more difference NOW. The obvious is Brock Purdy but if this season is to be successful, we need more contirbution from Drake Jackson, TDP, Danny Gray, Burford, Womack, Zakelj, and Khalia Davis. The amount of contribution is of course different for each player, but all will need to contribute more than last season.

We can EXPECT more contribution from these guys over the rookies.

Injuries happen so even Zakelj has a chance to fill in as a back-up.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the current interest is about these draft picks and UDFA's (for good reason), LAST year's draft class will make much more difference NOW. The obvious is Brock Purdy but if this season is to be successful, we need more contirbution from Drake Jackson, TDP, Danny Gray, Burford, Womack, Zakelj, and Khalia Davis. The amount of contribution is of course different for each player, but all will need to contribute more than last season.

We can EXPECT more contribution from these guys over the rookies.

Injuries happen so even Zakelj has a chance to fill in as a back-up.
Yep, this is the year to see more out of that draft class. I think a lot will be expected out of Jackson this year. As the season wore on, he saw his PT diminish. That is a bad sign, so hopefully that woke him up to work harder.

Anything we get from K.Davis will be nice. We need some inside presence behind Armstead and Hargrave.

I keep reading that the coaches like Zakelj as a center (he was an OT in college). Be interesting to see how he does in PS.

Can't see TDP getting much PT as long as CMC and Mitchell are both healthy (fingers crossed), but he's got to capitalize when he gets his chances --b/c he'll get some carries.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any guesses on how many of the drafted and undrafted players make the 53 man roster?

We had 9 draft picks--way too many to make this team.

3 Ji'Ayir Brown DB Penn State
3 Jake Moody K Michigan
3 Cameron Latu TE Alabama
4 Darrell Luter DB South Alabama
5 Robert Beal DE Georgia
6 Dee Winters LB Texas Christian
7 Brayden Willis TE Oklahoma
7 Ronnie Bell WR Michigan
7 Jalen Graham LB Purdue

The 3 3rd rd picks will all make the team. Brown, Moody, Latu.
Luter looks like a sure bet in the 4th with our depth issues in the secondary.
Beal I'm not sure about. I could see him being the last DE on the roster as a project guy. I think he make it.
In a surprise, I thin Winters makes the team too.
I doubt any of the 7th rounders make the team, though Willis and Bell are good PS candidates.
I don't see any of our undrafted players making the 53 roster either. Though Shephard and Collete could go PS.

I know it doesn't make any sense to see 6 out of 9 picks make this team, but that's my way too early impression. Can't wait to see them in TC and PS.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, this is the year to see more out of that draft class. I think a lot will be expected out of Jackson this year. As the season wore on, he saw his PT diminish. That is a bad sign, so hopefully that woke him up to work harder.

Anything we get from K.Davis will be nice. We need some inside presence behind Armstead and Hargrave.

I keep reading that the coaches like Zakelj as a center (he was an OT in college). Be interesting to see how he does in PS.

Can't see TDP getting much PT as long as CMC and Mitchell are both healthy (fingers crossed), but he's got to capitalize when he gets his chances --b/c he'll get some carries.
Injuries seem to occur every year at RB, we don't like it but thats football. What we hope for is 'short' time injuries and certainly not season ending. Anyway, I would think all RB's will play some time or another? Not expecting TDP to play a lot, but to play sometimne this season IF he makes the team?

This Khalan Laborn guy looks like he has ALL the tools to make the team.

Larry Krueger likes Awatt and it seems like he's a runner more like TDP?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries seem to occur every year at RB, we don't like it but thats football. What we hope for is 'short' time injuries and certainly not season ending. Anyway, I would think all RB's will play some time or another? Not expecting TDP to play a lot, but to play sometimne this season IF he makes the team?

This Khalan Laborn guy looks like he has ALL the tools to make the team.

Larry Krueger likes Awatt and it seems like he's a runner more like TDP?
Good point on RB injuries. They just tend to happen every year. They just get nicked up here and there even in the best of seasons. So, you're probably right that TDP will get some carries.

The RB depth chart is interesting already. CMC, Mitchell, and Jordan are the top 3 RBs, but CMC and Mitchell have both been injury-prone (Jordan has been criminally underused imo). TDP is right behind them, but I think he makes the team unless one of these undrafted RBs really blows the coaches away (ala Jordan pushing Sermon off the team last season).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any guesses on how many of the drafted and undrafted players make the 53 man roster?

We had 9 draft picks--way too many to make this team.

3 Ji'Ayir Brown DB Penn State
3 Jake Moody K Michigan
3 Cameron Latu TE Alabama
4 Darrell Luter DB South Alabama
5 Robert Beal DE Georgia
6 Dee Winters LB Texas Christian
7 Brayden Willis TE Oklahoma
7 Ronnie Bell WR Michigan
7 Jalen Graham LB Purdue

The 3 3rd rd picks will all make the team. Brown, Moody, Latu.
Luter looks like a sure bet in the 4th with our depth issues in the secondary.
Beal I'm not sure about. I could see him being the last DE on the roster as a project guy. I think he make it.
In a surprise, I thin Winters makes the team too.
I doubt any of the 7th rounders make the team, though Willis and Bell are good PS candidates.
I don't see any of our undrafted players making the 53 roster either. Though Shephard and Collete could go PS.

I know it doesn't make any sense to see 6 out of 9 picks make this team, but that's my way too early impression. Can't wait to see them in TC and PS.
Agree with the first three 3 picks but not as sure about Luter and Beal? They certainly have the tools to make the 53 and will likely flash enough to make the decision difficult. When the decisions are difficult, future cap considerations could tip the scale? My reason for hestitating on Luter is level of competition, he may need a year on the PS? My reason on Beal is lack of college production. I get Beal was at Georgia and supposedly ask to drop too much, but still not as sure.

The 6th plus three 7th rounders will have to make it via ST's first. I think all four have a chance to make the PS, but we'll see? I initially didn't like the Bell pick at all, but after watching more Youtube he has a chance.

For UDFA's, Joey Fischer has all the tools save for arm length, think he has a chance to make the 53. They may have to move him inside, but he has the tools.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good point on RB injuries. They just tend to happen every year. They just get nicked up here and there even in the best of seasons. So, you're probably right that TDP will get some carries.

The RB depth chart is interesting already. CMC, Mitchell, and Jordan are the top 3 RBs, but CMC and Mitchell have both been injury-prone (Jordan has been criminally underused imo). TDP is right behind them, but I think he makes the team unless one of these undrafted RBs really blows the coaches away (ala Jordan pushing Sermon off the team last season).
Agree, the RB depth chart is very interesting right now, you have all different types and running styles. It'll likely remain 'as is' into the season, but we'll see with Khalan Laborn? Seems like Laborn has a decent chance to knock somebody out?

To me we need a back-up similar to CMC, a dangerous receiver out of the backfield. Maybe Laborn is this guy?

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't initially stoked about this draft until I started to look at the Niners entire production, including PS players and Niners penchant to "red-shirting" rookies. Latu is a pick that I have to trust the Niners had a vision for him...maybe even a big slot. Winters is a playmaker, Luter is FYSICAL with an F. Beal has ALL the raw tools to be exactly the speed edge rusher we have needed since Dee Ford. Even Willis and Graham were beasts in their own right. Moody was bar none the best kicker in college football last year. I hated the pick because it was a 3rd, but Moody is as good a kicker as you can get in this draft and will significantly improve ST.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the first three 3 picks but not as sure about Luter and Beal? They certainly have the tools to make the 53 and will likely flash enough to make the decision difficult. When the decisions are difficult, future cap considerations could tip the scale? My reason for hestitating on Luter is level of competition, he may need a year on the PS? My reason on Beal is lack of college production. I get Beal was at Georgia and supposedly ask to drop too much, but still not as sure.

The 6th plus three 7th rounders will have to make it via ST's first. I think all four have a chance to make the PS, but we'll see? I initially didn't like the Bell pick at all, but after watching more Youtube he has a chance.

For UDFA's, Joey Fischer has all the tools save for arm length, think he has a chance to make the 53. They may have to move him inside, but he has the tools.
I really like Fischer on the offensive side and Waege the DE/DT from NDSU. I see Waege as an eventual heir apparent to AA.