• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derrick Brown a Senior, and Justin Herbert a Senior that is two guys in the top 10 of this year's draft your notion is purely false.
Don't be silly.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing two WR's going off the board right off the bat to start day 2 made me think that perhaps the need to trade up to draft Aiyuk was real

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing two WR's going off the board right off the bat to start day 2 made me think that perhaps the need to trade up to draft Aiyuk was real

That and back/back picks in the early 20's for Reagor and Jefferson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Staley retired, nice move to get Williams need to sign him to 4 or 5 year deal. got the T/G from WV. Blocking TE from UG, Big WR/Slot for insurance for Taylor. Hurd! Better! Nrxt year CB, ILB, OLB, S, C..:) Lots of Large Samoans drafted,:)

Next draft is going to be be CB's for sure, more than one. Even a NB could be in the mix mid to late?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To get anything for Goodwin....in what is called the deepest draft for receivers....is a bonus. Also saves $5M on the cap, which woulda hit had we just released him.

Agree, with so much WR's this year, be able to get a 6th rounder was good.

It was also to gain cap space.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRST ROUND
Well, we've covered the first round pretty well. The future will tell us whether passing on combination of Lamb/(CB or DT) was the right move. With the run on WRs, moving up for Aiyuk was the right move, but we can only hope that Shanny's connection with Herm will pay off on that one. This FO hasn't exactly excelled at drafting WRs.

TRENT WILLIAMS
Trading for Trent Williams made great sense with STaley's retirement. And here is something that no one is talking about--kudos to the FO for keeping STaley's retirement a secret until after we acquired Williams. If TW ends up being a one year stop-gap, then it was steep price, but worth it imo. OTOH, if we can work an extension for TW (one with lots of per game roster bonuses to protect us if he can't stay healthy), this will really be worth it. TW's current deal and Staley's are about the same, so that ends up as a wash.

BREIDA/GOODWIN
It was sad to lose Brieda, but with the extension we gave Mostert and Coleman's play last year, it's a move that made sense. A 5th was a decent price for the most replaceable position in football in these days. Not to mention we saved 3M in cap space with the move. Goodwin was gonna get cut if he didn't get traded, so it was a miracle we got anything for him. A 20 pick flip of 6th rounders was better than nothing, particularly in a very deep WR draft. Moving them, also saved us around 7M in cap space, which should be enough to sign all our draft picks.

LATE ROUNDS
As for the rest of the draft, I liked what we did with what we had. The OL from WV, McKivitz, was a 4 year starter, playing at RT until his senior year where he played LT. There is a lot of speculation that we'll moved him to OG. I've read more than one report that McKivitz was our backup plan at OT if we couldn't land TW, but then we get TW and McKivitz fell further an the FO expected, so we made some moves and still got him. Woerner, the TE from UGA has a real shot at making the team or at least the PS as a blocking TE. Jennings was a shot in the dark for a WR with great size, but questionable pure speed, a good thing on a team that has a lot of smaller/quicker WRs. It was worth a 7th round gamble.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TW ends up being a one year stop-gap, then it was steep price, but worth it imo.

Actually, it's not. If Williams can't be extended, he'll be a FA in 2021. SF probably gets a 3rd round pick for compensation, which negates the 3rd rounder we gave up in the trade. In that case, SF traded a 5th round pick for a potential HOF LT.

Unless Williams goes all insane or something, this was a no-brainer.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's not. If Williams can't be extended, he'll be a FA in 2021. SF probably gets a 3rd round pick for compensation, which negates the 3rd rounder we gave up in the trade. In that case, SF traded a 5th round pick for a potential HOF LT.

True. Losing Williams should net us a 3rd rd comp, but it'll be in 2022. Which isn't all that bad considering that the 3rd we gave up comes in 2021. If we can get another 2 or 3 quality years out of him...

You know that trading TW to Shanny was acid in Snyder's mouth. They could've gotten 2nd rounders for him last year from more than one team. Under Snyder and Allen, the Skins have gotten a pitiful 2 #3s and a 5th for Kirk Cousins and Trent Williams after refusing to trade them for significantly more the previous year. ...That is Bill O'Brien-level fleecing. Talk about a team overplaying its hand.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Losing Williams should net us a 3rd rd comp, but it'll be in 2022. Which isn't all that bad considering that the 3rd we gave up comes in 2021. If we can get another 2 or 3 quality years out of him...

You know that trading TW to Shanny was acid in Snyder's mouth. They could've gotten 2nd rounders for him last year from more than one team. Under Snyder and Allen, the Skins have gotten a pitiful 2 #3s and a 5th for Kirk Cousins and Trent Williams after refusing to trade them for significantly more the previous year. ...That is Bill O'Brien-level fleecing. Talk about a team overplaying its hand.

Allen refused to deal with the 49ers because of his hatred for Shanahan when it came to Cousins and probably earlier with Williams but I think Rivera kind of put his foot down and said we've got to make this deal.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
FIRST ROUND
Well, we've covered the first round pretty well. The future will tell us whether passing on combination of Lamb/(CB or DT) was the right move. With the run on WRs, moving up for Aiyuk was the right move, but we can only hope that Shanny's connection with Herm will pay off on that one. This FO hasn't exactly excelled at drafting WRs.

TRENT WILLIAMS
Trading for Trent Williams made great sense with STaley's retirement. And here is something that no one is talking about--kudos to the FO for keeping STaley's retirement a secret until after we acquired Williams. If TW ends up being a one year stop-gap, then it was steep price, but worth it imo. OTOH, if we can work an extension for TW (one with lots of per game roster bonuses to protect us if he can't stay healthy), this will really be worth it. TW's current deal and Staley's are about the same, so that ends up as a wash.

BREIDA/GOODWIN
It was sad to lose Brieda, but with the extension we gave Mostert and Coleman's play last year, it's a move that made sense. A 5th was a decent price for the most replaceable position in football in these days. Not to mention we saved 3M in cap space with the move. Goodwin was gonna get cut if he didn't get traded, so it was a miracle we got anything for him. A 20 pick flip of 6th rounders was better than nothing, particularly in a very deep WR draft. Moving them, also saved us around 7M in cap space, which should be enough to sign all our draft picks.

LATE ROUNDS
As for the rest of the draft, I liked what we did with what we had. The OL from WV, McKivitz, was a 4 year starter, playing at RT until his senior year where he played LT. There is a lot of speculation that we'll moved him to OG. I've read more than one report that McKivitz was our backup plan at OT if we couldn't land TW, but then we get TW and McKivitz fell further an the FO expected, so we made some moves and still got him. Woerner, the TE from UGA has a real shot at making the team or at least the PS as a blocking TE. Jennings was a shot in the dark for a WR with great size, but questionable pure speed, a good thing on a team that has a lot of smaller/quicker WRs. It was worth a 7th round gamble.

When we look back a few years later, the quality of this draft will depend a lot on Kinlaw's knee tendinitis?

Realistically, the odds say we got two starters and other potential back-ups..........potential. So when we look back on this we'll base it off the number of games Kinlaw is out due to his knee tendinitis? Other injuries don't count as those can't be predicted by Lynch and Shannahan.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, but remember comp picks are for the following seasons. "Probably" a 3rd but you never know after his long lay off?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but remember comp picks are for the following seasons. "Probably" a 3rd but you never know after his long lay off?

Actually, I'm reading that because he's a 10 year vet, the best we may get back is a fifth. In the end, it doesn't matter because Staley was still retiring and SF had to do something. I'm still happy with it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are making yourself look foolish. Stop digging and put away the shovel.

I don't use shovel's digging with an excavator is much easier work smarter not harder, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't use shovel's digging with an excavator is much easier work smarter not harder, I wouldn't expect you to understand.
That's deep

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we look back a few years later, the quality of this draft will depend a lot on Kinlaw's knee tendinitis?

Realistically, the odds say we got two starters and other potential back-ups..........potential. So when we look back on this we'll base it off the number of games Kinlaw is out due to his knee tendinitis? Other injuries don't count as those can't be predicted by Lynch and Shannahan.
Passing on Lamb for Kinlaw. We knew of Kinlaw's knee issues in advance of drafting him. If those issues cost him time and effectiveness, it'll only make the decision to bring in a big man with knee issues all the worse, particularly considering who we passed on.

Considering the low number of picks we had, In terms of realistic returns, we'll be doing well if either Kinlaw or Aiyuk turn into above average starters (or better). I.e., if Aiyuk turns into a playmaker, it won't matter if Kinlaw is the next Balmer or brittle as Ward/Armstead.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Go Kinlaw, DJ. Thomas, Blair, Taylor, Street !! NFC West to Tampa

One early '53' had Street being cut.

Obviously very early and just a projection, but IF this happens just another wasted 4th round pick. Don't recall if it was an ACL but no matter, another red-shirt injury pick that didn't pan out.