• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I agree. We lead the league in DE's, and none are dynamic (Graham is real good). I wanted Foster, Conley, or Howard at that spot.

Watching Barnett, he looks like he could be equally or more productive than Graham. I think we just drafted a DE that's going to start for 10 years in this league, so I'm pretty happy. I have a question on how dynamic he will be, but I think he'll fit pretty well into our defense. Barnett/Jernigan/Cox/Graham with Curry, Long, and Allen is a pretty nice rotation. With Allen hurt, they'll need to add another DT because I don't want to rely solely on Vaeio and Aziz . . . but their defensive line is pretty nice. I disagree with @Wings that we could have gotten a similar talent in the 2nd round. Show me what 2nd round DE compares to Barnett and I'll reconsider.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli still has a swiss cheese o-line though. He has huge weapons but is going to be under pressure all year.
The Giants offensive line is definitely a concern... but I wouldn't call it swiss cheese. Last season... the Giant O-line was fair in pass protection, and below average in run blocking. Talent isn't the problem here, btw... the Giants have a number of 1st/2nd round talent on the line... but sloppiness and lack of technique are an issue. Looking at a young guy like LT Flowers... if he could just clean up his technique he wouldn't be bad at all. He's gotta do it, though... he's young and the light switch might yet flip on.

Anywho: a far bigger problem for the Giants was the fact they had no real threats aside from Beckham... so teams doubled OBJ and/or sat back in cover 2 and the Giants couldn't make them pay. That leads to Eli holding on to the ball longer and the O-line getting over-matched.

Adding in a receiving TE who is tailor made to challenge the seam against a cover 2 defense was just what the doctor ordered.

Eli is a veteran who can get the ball out... that'll help make the O-line's job easier. But Eli needs targets who can get open... now he's got an upgrade in Marshall and a 4.4 TE in Engram. Should make a big difference.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you on the pick itself, just saying the Giants are still not that scary to me despite their additions this offseason.

Realistically the Eagles will compete in the division but it is going to be a very tough division this season, and they are probably another year or two away from serious contention.

If the front office agrees with you -- which I think they probably do -- then we could see them go offensive line instead of DB in the 2nd round. Peters will likely not be here in 2 years. None of the guards/centers are surefire long-term solutions either. Barbre will be 33 and Kelce has declined. Lane Johnson is one positive drug test away from basically ending his career. What linemen will even be here in 2 years? Lane, Seumalo, Wisniewski, Brooks, Vaitai? We could do worse . . . but I wouldn't be surprise to see the team try to add another lineman. Granted, the 2nd round may be too early for that . . . but there may be value.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on board. I don't want to be right. I hope this kids a superstar. After all that is what they brought joe D here for.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope I don't know a damn thing. I'm just a fan. Can't wait to get my Barnett jersey! THE NEXT REGGIE WHITE

Wings, sorry man that was really snarky of me. We've been posting together too long. I respect your opinion always have. Sometimes we are right sometimes we are wrong. That is what makes this so great. I was on Barnett for some time, spent a lot of time watching him the last two years. Does he have flaws, sure does every player does but man is his productive in a real good conference. I love his motor.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I have found about Barnet has him as a top draft propect. Granted it is all subjective but just about every major publication had him ranked pretty high.

Maycock #17
Kiper #13
McShay #13

PFF #3
CBS Sports #8
DraftTek #7
ESPN #13
Bleacher Report #11

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are ya confused about? My sarcasm? I think I made it quite clear, that I do
not like the pick. I don't think he will be a bad player I see a 7-8 sacks per year on average guy. My problem is you could have gotten that kind of player in rd 2. Period.

my bad wings. I wasn't trying to call you out. I missed the sarcasm and several pages of reading. I was confused why your stance was so polar different. Sarcasm explains it. Sorry bud.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at "impact plays on tape" ... meaning sacks/tackles for loss/pressures ... there are very few players who can hold a candle to what Barnett did. You can find negative tape /bad games on anyone if you want. If I knew how to make videos I could make Myles Garrett look like the worst first round pick of all time. So what I concentrate on is how much "good tape" you can find on a player and Barnett has a ton of it. My theory and it's just a "theory" is that the Eagles wanted to get Wentz a play maker at WR or Christian McCaffrey. The 3 top WR's on the board all incredibly went by pick 10 while McCaffrey went at 8. Lattimore is another player who I think would have been the pick if he slipped down a couple more spots. I don't believe Barnett was the first option for the Eagles at 14, but how the draft shook out with players available at 14, I'm perfectly fine with Barnett.

I agree and I think your right on the money. But what I think it is also showing, is that the NFL is not only getting more and more offensive minded - they are using higher draft picks as well. this is the reason I would have been pissed if we traded down. I'm afraid we might have just missed our best opportunity to get a top 10 talent player on offense (specifically a true stud WR). Even if we keep Alshon long term (which I think we will) no one can do it alone. You need talent around them to keep defenses honest and put your stars in positions to excel. Alshon just isn't enough. And other teams, esp in our division, are getting this. So while we improved at WR, we didn't improve much more than they did either. How will we get a stud physical WR drafting in the 20's?? And how much more will it cost to trade up from 20 than 14??

The sad truth tho, is I wanted us to trade up to 10. As it was, the bills were a willing trade partner. The problem is, all 3 WR's went before 10. So even that wasn't enough. No one saw that coming. Not even McCaffrey got that far. That's just bum luck for us. My only question is, would we have done better to grab a CB than DE??

In the end, this was a maintenance move. We lost Logan/Barwin and had to replace that talent. We couldn't afford to keep Logan. If we could have - it would have saved us a 1st round pick in the draft. So we had to burn our 1st.

De made sense, given how things turned out. The only question remaining in my mind, would it have been worth trading up to 10 to get Lattimore instead???

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodie Two-Shoes Goodell sucks.....just saying

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Well I love the player but we just took a guy who won't play this season.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and I think your right on the money. But what I think it is also showing, is that the NFL is not only getting more and more offensive minded - they are using higher draft picks as well. this is the reason I would have been pissed if we traded down. I'm afraid we might have just missed our best opportunity to get a top 10 talent player on offense (specifically a true stud WR). Even if we keep Alshon long term (which I think we will) no one can do it alone. You need talent around them to keep defenses honest and put your stars in positions to excel. Alshon just isn't enough. And other teams, esp in our division, are getting this. So while we improved at WR, we didn't improve much more than they did either. How will we get a stud physical WR drafting in the 20's?? And how much more will it cost to trade up from 20 than 14??

The sad truth tho, is I wanted us to trade up to 10. As it was, the bills were a willing trade partner. The problem is, all 3 WR's went before 10. So even that wasn't enough. No one saw that coming. Not even McCaffrey got that far. That's just bum luck for us. My only question is, would we have done better to grab a CB than DE??

In the end, this was a maintenance move. We lost Logan/Barwin and had to replace that talent. We couldn't afford to keep Logan. If we could have - it would have saved us a 1st round pick in the draft. So we had to burn our 1st.

De made sense, given how things turned out. The only question remaining in my mind, would it have been worth trading up to 10 to get Lattimore instead???

Imo....no...Lattimore is not worth (at least) two picks.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidney Jones? #trusttheprocess

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNichols ?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty disappointed by that fourth round man. Mack Hollins is a decent #4 WR because he is a special teamer too, and Pumphrey looks like a decent scat back, but where the fuck is our starting RB? I think we will need to sign Legarette Blount or some veteran to be a placeholder.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins are having an excellent draft btw. I really like their picks of RB Samaje Perine and big blocking TE Jeremy Sprinkle. They are getting ready to run it down people's throats.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So two vertical receivers in the 4th and 5th. I think it is safe to say Agholor and DGB are on the hot seat, not to mention the other guys on the depth chart like Tregg.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Shelton Gibson is a fantastic snag at this point ... I thought he would go as early as round 3. Two damn good vertical threats for Wentz to work with in Gobson and Hollins.