• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft thoughts

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4b) Kyle Emanuel, OLB, North Dakota State--Small school kid that has a non-stop motor. He had 19.5 sacks and 32.5 TFL in a single year. Now yes he went against weaker competition but when they did play the bigger competition he actually showed up quite nicely with 16.5 TFL and 10 sacks in 8 games against top-25 teams.

5) Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina--This guy is a Manning type receiver all the way. He actually set the record as the most productive receiver in FBS history. He had 387 careers catches and 4,541 yards. He had 121 catches this past season alone. he also has some return ability so fits what we are looking for in a receiver with special teams ability.

6) Mike Hull, ILB, Penn State--He is a guy that can play inside and outside. He has great football roots, comes from a program known for producing quality linebackers, has decent speed, and was very productive. Elway loves guys that were captains and this guy fits that bill. Ended up being Big-10 defensive player of the year.

7a) Cedric Reed, DE/OLB, Texas--This kid was expected to explode on the field this year. An injury set him back though so this is completely a based on potential pick.

7b) Xavier Williams, DT, Northern Iowa--Highly productive 1-gap NT that can try to compete for a roster spot.

7c) Brandon Bridge, QB, South Alabama--Big arm kid with some decent upside. Probably competing more for the practice squad quarterback with Zac Dysert. To me after reading some info on Osweiler today I am starting to lean towards the Broncos actually still viewing him as the future of the team. Elway called him at the beginning of the off season and said that they still have very big ideas for Osweiler. He said he has been the entire off season (other than his wedding and honeymoon) either on the field going through progressions and passes with people from his home town or in the new playbook. He said he loves this new system and said the coaches keep telling him he is a great fit.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting rumors.

I figure QB has to be on the radar. Grayson is intriguing in that he straddles the line between outright replacing Osweiler and potentially being his backup after Manning.

I am moving more towards the camp of trading D. Thomas or letting him walk after next year. Thinking on recent SB winners none of the last three have had a big name WR. If we were to get a 1st and 3rd for him that would be fantastic. This draft is thick with WR, at least early.

Building an aggressive D would be fantastic so picking up a Ray, Gregory, or Beasley would be pretty awesome even given our weak OL. I think Elway and company will have several plans so that they can still address needs if BPA is not one.

This should definitely be an interesting draft. Should tell us a lot of where the Broncos are wanting to move not only this season but for the next 3-4 years. I agree Grayson is that guy on the edge of competing with Osweiler for the future starter or possibly being the starter. Not sure what it would mean if using our 2nd round pick on him. QB is the one position that honestly you just can't have enough competition sometimes. Unless you have a HOF in the middle of their career then it is a position that you should always be looking to upgrade.

I am with you on the D. Thomas issue. WR has been a position that has just been blown up to be more than it should. It is a position that is so dependent on every other position on the offense to make it half way successful. I just can't justify paying him the money that he wants. I would rather pay say Von Miller, Trevathan, Jackson, and Wolfe (I think Trev, Jackson, and Wolfe would about equal the money that D. Thomas would cost). Now while they are not the All-Pro type players that DT is they are still very good players that make a very nice impact on our defense. Throw in with this most likely Manning's last year my guess is the Broncos will become even more run heavy after this year meaning we won't have to have a premier receiver to make it all work. It helps but isn't necessary. I'm still high on Latimer becoming that type of player anyway. And like you said if we can get a 1st and 3rd either this year or next that could set this team up big time to make some major moves to get some big time impact players. Such as say Cleveland were to trade their 1st round pick (12th pick) then the Broncos could get in on one of the top pass rushers plus get a great OL prospect)

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you on the D. Thomas issue. WR has been a position that has just been blown up to be more than it should. It is a position that is so dependent on every other position on the offense to make it half way successful. I just can't justify paying him the money that he wants. I would rather pay say Von Miller, Trevathan, Jackson, and Wolfe (I think Trev, Jackson, and Wolfe would about equal the money that D. Thomas would cost). Now while they are not the All-Pro type players that DT is they are still very good players that make a very nice impact on our defense. Throw in with this most likely Manning's last year my guess is the Broncos will become even more run heavy after this year meaning we won't have to have a premier receiver to make it all work. It helps but isn't necessary. I'm still high on Latimer becoming that type of player anyway. And like you said if we can get a 1st and 3rd either this year or next that could set this team up big time to make some major moves to get some big time impact players. Such as say Cleveland were to trade their 1st round pick (12th pick) then the Broncos could get in on one of the top pass rushers plus get a great OL prospect)

The idea of losing all that talent to keep Thomas kind of makes me a little sick. On the bright side, if management did opt to keep D. Thomas I think we will be getting a lot of cap space back over the next 2-3 years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea of losing all that talent to keep Thomas kind of makes me a little sick. On the bright side, if management did opt to keep D. Thomas I think we will be getting a lot of cap space back over the next 2-3 years.

Yeah I see the pluses to both sides. Obviously keeping a talent like DT is great for a team. It does however mean talent then has to walk out the door. Like you said though we should see some cap space over the next couple of years with Manning, Ware, and maybe Talib all leaving. That alone is 3 of our top 4 contracts gone. Heck even the other of the top-4 for next year could be gone in Clady if we decide to take an OT that can play LT as well here in the early rounds of the draft. Anyway just those 3 guys though opens up $36 million in cap space plus factor in good chance the cap goes up around $20 million over the next 2 years and we have $56 million in cap space just from a few moves.

On the other side of it though I definitely like the idea of keeping our defense together. I'm very excited to see what they can do this year under Phillips as I think this will be a top-tier defense that people are talking about half way through the season. So if we can keep guys like Trevathan, Wolfe, Jackson, and Miller who are all up for new contracts after this season that could be huge.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright ladies and gentlemen it is draft time in just over 2 hours! I did one final mock on fanspeak and this is what I got. I think I would be pretty darn happy with this draft...

Traded back like usual (which the Broncos are being linked to one of the teams possibly trading back)

2) Andrus Peat
2) Denzel Perryman
3) Hroniss Grasu
3) Lorenzo Mauldin
4) Chris Conley
5) David Johnson
5) Hayes Pullard
6) Nick Marshall
7) Derrick Lott
7) Nick Boyle
7) Jalston Fowler

This to me was a nice mix of instant starters with guys with very high potential. My very last pick in Fowler actually could be a starter on this team at FB and be big time for our run game. DAvid Johnson for the RB group was just too good of value and adds another great weapon to our RB's! Pullard is our cover linebacker while Perryman is our intimidater and run stuffer. Conley offers a nice weapon to the WR group. Marshall is a big project but could pan out for the DB's. Lott is decent depth most likely though going to the practice squad year one. Grasu and Peat could be starting day 1 on our OL. Finally Mauldin is maybe my favorite pick of this draft. The guy is a very underrated prospect and is a nice piece to add to grow for a year behind Ware.

Anyway enjoy the draft. Not sure if I will be on or not. Depends how much work from home I need to do today.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well done, CD! I would be ecstatic with that draft. The first three I know a bit about, and have considered all 3 to be potential Broncos draftees. The rest I am less familiar with and will have to do some research on, but I know you've done your homework and I trust they would make good potential additions to the team. I would guess that we see a couple of those guys on the Broncos after this draft is through. Excellent work man.

:clap:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what are the thoughts about DE Ray at #23?

I think it's a good move. High projected talent falling due to something that's looking more and more like no big deal.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good pick, you can never have too many good pass rushers especially if your DC knows how to use them.

Is there a lot of value at OL in the later rounds?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good pick, you can never have too many good pass rushers especially if your DC knows how to use them.

Is there a lot of value at OL in the later rounds?

You have to remember with Kubiak's system he doesn't need the high end OL talent to make it work. He isn't like Dallas. Last year with the Ravens I think he started 2 rookies and the earliest pick was a 5th rounder. So while some Bronco fans will be screaming at the tv for us not taking an OL player here with our 1st pick I don't think it is so dire for us to do so.

I also think that this move was a showing somewhat towards their faith in Schofield to man the RT spot. They could still pick on at some point obviously but from what I have heard he showed up at camp in incredible shape and put on some major muscle.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that the 1st round is in the books which of the AFC West picks did you think was best?

1) Raiders--Amari Cooper--Gives them a nice weapon to grow with Carr

2) Chargers--Melvin Gordon--Some have argued he is the best RB in this very deep RB class

3) Chiefs--Marcus Peters--Some say the best cover corner in the draft but has some major off the field issues

4) Broncos--Shane Ray--Some major red flags but talent wise is considered a top-10 guy.

I honestly am impressed by the AFC West here. I would say the Chiefs took a bigger chance than even we did as Peters has some major authority and anger issues. If he can mature then maybe they did get a steal. Gordon could be huge for the Chargers. We are starting to get where the AFC West could have the best starting RB's in the entire league. We already have 2 that are pro bowlers in Anderson and Charles and maybe Gordon will join them. The Raiders pick is one not sure they could have screwed up. I honestly was cheering though that they didn't take Leonard Williams. Cooper is great but Williams looks like that guy you build your entire defense around. And of course you all know how excited I am for our pick.

At this point the homer in me says the Broncos got the best value but I would say the Raiders got the best player of the bunch which makes sense considering they were picking 4th.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that the 1st round is in the books which of the AFC West picks did you think was best?

1) Raiders--Amari Cooper--Gives them a nice weapon to grow with Carr

2) Chargers--Melvin Gordon--Some have argued he is the best RB in this very deep RB class

3) Chiefs--Marcus Peters--Some say the best cover corner in the draft but has some major off the field issues

4) Broncos--Shane Ray--Some major red flags but talent wise is considered a top-10 guy.

I generally agree with your thoughts. I am happy that the Raiders did not pick Leonard Williams but it appears their FUBAR drafts are finished.

Melvin Gordon makes sense for the chargers. You got to wonder how much of his production was from the badgers line. Either way, I don't think he is a division changer.

The chiefs taking Marcus Peters is interesting. I have to wonder about him. Can a player get under his skin in a game and force him to make mistakes? Great talent, I am just not sure his maturity will catch up.

Shane Ray coupled with Von Miller could give us a great pass rush. I worry about the weed issues but that might become moot in 5 years. I also worry about his cheap shots toward the end of the season at Mizzou. He was hitting QBs blatantly late and it got him ejected from one game.

I think the raiders and chargers may have the safer picks but the chiefs and broncos may have gotten the better value.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper and Gordon weretwo of my fav players in this draft. Cooper is going to help Carr and that offense right away and I watched Gordon ( including his record breaker day) and believe me that guy can run between the tackles when there isn`t much there believe me. Deceptive power and amazing burst. He is not going to be fun to face twice a yr IMO. I was surprised with KC pk as well as I thought Peters would`nt go that high and also the Chiefs would go wr. Their guy was prob gone though. He can be very good though but doesn`t put the fear in me like Cooper and Gordon are capable of:) I`am excited about Ray pick and believe he is sincere in wanting to prove himself to not only Broncos but to the rest of the league too. He will have a great tudor in Ware for sure. Best senario though is the kid does`nt need it and has made up his mind to be great for along time. If he does, and gets on the field this yr ( injury wise), and Denver gets and keeps everyone healthy in that front 7, they are going to be a force to reckon with this yr for sure. Can`t wait for 2-3 today and I agree Denver could move up again today as well. What do you think about if he`s there, Denver takes a shot at La`el Collins and just rolls the dice on whether he`s a conspiritor or not in murder?????

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper and Gordon weretwo of my fav players in this draft. Cooper is going to help Carr and that offense right away and I watched Gordon ( including his record breaker day) and believe me that guy can run between the tackles when there isn`t much there believe me. Deceptive power and amazing burst. He is not going to be fun to face twice a yr IMO. I was surprised with KC pk as well as I thought Peters would`nt go that high and also the Chiefs would go wr. Their guy was prob gone though. He can be very good though but doesn`t put the fear in me like Cooper and Gordon are capable of:) I`am excited about Ray pick and believe he is sincere in wanting to prove himself to not only Broncos but to the rest of the league too. He will have a great tudor in Ware for sure. Best senario though is the kid does`nt need it and has made up his mind to be great for along time. If he does, and gets on the field this yr ( injury wise), and Denver gets and keeps everyone healthy in that front 7, they are going to be a force to reckon with this yr for sure. Can`t wait for 2-3 today and I agree Denver could move up again today as well. What do you think about if he`s there, Denver takes a shot at La`el Collins and just rolls the dice on whether he`s a conspiritor or not in murder?????

I'm actually all for using either our 2nd or 3rd round pick on Collins. Nothing like getting 2 guys expected to go in the top 15 with our 1st 2 or 3 picks. From what I am hearing though pretty much every team has taken him off their board and good chance he goes undrafted. I still think some team will take a chance on him. That is just too much talent to not just hope that it works out in their favor. Heck we have had a 3rd round pick in the past who then didn't make the team in the 1st year so why not use our 3rd on him. Not like we have had the best success in that round of late. I would say that has actually been Elway's worst round. Schofield might be a starter this year but who knows, Webster has been up and down his whole time, Hillman just hasn't quite been the player we had hoped, and Nate Irving struggled to find a starting role in his time with the Broncos.

Now to me day 2 and 3 of the draft are really where you make a championship team. Ray is a great addition but finding another 2-3 starters with our 8 picks remaining is essential moving forward (doesn't mean they have to start this year just at some point in the next 2-3 years).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What positions does everybody want the Broncos to target on day 2? I'm thinking maybe OL and ILB for the next 2 picks. Safety wouldn't be bad but this draft just has nobody at the position.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What positions does everybody want the Broncos to target on day 2? I'm thinking maybe OL and ILB for the next 2 picks. Safety wouldn't be bad but this draft just has nobody at the position.

I would like to get a NT. Also like the FS Prewitt from Ole MS.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to get a NT. Also like the FS Prewitt from Ole MS.

Yeah the players on the board that I still really like are Eddie Goldman and Jordan Phillips for the NT spot, Kendricks and Perryman for the ILB spot, Prewitt and Rowe for the FS spot, and Clemmings and Fisher for the OL. Grasu is another I like for the OL but I have heard he has an undisclosed injury that has him dropping some on boards.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me,cause I`am partial to that position,I still wouldn`t mind seeing a rb today. I know on paper it`s not a position of need but if CJ were to get banged up and Ball is the Ball of last yr, it could become an issue. But that said, I see them moving up to possibly grab a Bennett of Orchard possibly? A wr with return skills wouldn`t be out of the question today also. OL is prob going to be addressed today more than likely though. Don`t leave out the possibility of a Qb :)

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me,cause I`am partial to that position,I still wouldn`t mind seeing a rb today. I know on paper it`s not a position of need but if CJ were to get banged up and Ball is the Ball of last yr, it could become an issue. But that said, I see them moving up to possibly grab a Bennett of Orchard possibly? A wr with return skills wouldn`t be out of the question today also. OL is prob going to be addressed today more than likely though. Don`t leave out the possibility of a Qb :)

Tyler Lockett amassed over 2,500 yards and six TDs as kickoff and punt returner at KSU ... just sayin'!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Lockett amassed over 2,500 yards and six TDs as kickoff and punt returner at KSU ... just sayin'!

HAHA as soon as I was reading Randymon's comment I was thinking uh oh here comes TD with his hope of Lockett being a Bronco! I'm hearing he is going to go higher than anybody thinks he will and good chance he is gone by middle of the 2nd round today. Wouldn't mind one bit if we used our 2nd on him as he is that 4 down player.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go OL, ILB, NT, FS, in that order for the next 2 picks. I would also love to move up with either or both of our 2nd and 3rd rounders. Not sure how we could do that though.