• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Combine Information

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to Draft Bible, Criner is up 7/8" since the senior bowl. Huh?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 24, 2012

Combine about more than workouts
Interviews, medical exams are just as important as workouts for top prospects
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

We're not expecting to see much of Stanford QB Andrew Luck and Baylor QB Robert Griffin III at the NFL combine, and other big names such as RB Trent Richardson (Alabama), S Mark Barron (Alabama) and WR Ryan Broyles (Oklahoma) won't work out for medical reasons.

Still, approximately 300 players will take the field for workouts. And, most importantly, 328 invitees will be in attendance to interview with teams, take psychological tests and undergo medical examinations.

Here are some of the prospects to keep a close eye on as the combine progresses.

Five with plenty to prove

Alshon Jeffery needs to show up in shape and run a solid 40-yard dash to get back in first-round mix.

South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery
Jeffery once carried a solid first-round grade, but his stock has been steadily declining since he bulked up prior to the 2011 season and lost some suddenness and explosiveness. I'll be watching three things in particular with Jeffery as he attempts to stop the bleeding.

First is his weight and conditioning. Jeffery is listed at 6-foot-4 and 232 pounds, and if he's heavier than that it won't look good to scouts. Secondly, is he crisp and sharp in agility drills, or is he sluggish? Finally, can he post a 40-yard dash time in the 4.5-second range? Anything 4.6 or above will be a problem if he hopes to get back into the late-first-round mix.

Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler
Scouts have had less exposure to Osweiler than any of the other top-seven quarterback prospects (Luck, Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, Brandon Weeden, Kirk Cousins), and there will be plenty of questions for him to answer.

He's started only 15 career games and 2011 was the junior's first full year as the starter. Teams will want to know how he reacts in a room full of coaches, how he handles football information when they put him on the white board, and whether his height affects his mobility.

Osweiler is listed at 6-7½, and his agility and mobility will be heavily scrutinized. If he shows well in all important areas he'll solidify his case as a potential first-round pick.

Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick
Kirkpatrick is clearly a good player, but he's fighting to be a top-20 pick and his film raises questions about his top-end speed and ability to flip his hips and change directions. The guess here is that he's just average in both areas.

Catching the ball well and posting a solid 40 time won't change his overall evaluation and give Kirkpatrick a huge boost, but a poor performance in those areas certainly won't help his cause. It will also be important for Kirkpatrick to interview well and explain recent off-field issues.

Washington RB Chris Polk
Polk has good size (5-10½, 224), runs hard, blocks well and might be the most natural pass-catcher in the 2012 running back class. However, he doesn't show a lot of explosiveness on film and looked sluggish during Senior Bowl week.

Polk needs to run well -- including posting a quick 10-yard split in the 40 -- and perform well in agility drills. Scouts would like to see him in the 1.6-second range in the 10-yard split, sub-4.3 in the short shuttle and sub-7.0 in the three-cone drill, and posting those kinds of numbers will be important if he hopes to remain in the Day 2 range.

Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill
Hill is as raw as it gets for a player who spent three seasons in a BCS conference, but he also has an impressive combination of size (6-4¼, 208), body control and athleticism. He caught only 29 passes last season, but averaged 29.3 yards on those catches.

Hill is similar to Jeffery in that he needs to break 4.6 in the 40 for teams to feel good about taking a chance on him as a Day 2 developmental prospect who can become a vertical threat.

Physical freaks to watch

Georgia TE Orson Charles
Charles is undersized (6-3¼, 245), but he's rocked up and should test well across the board. He should have the most impressive workout in the tight end class, and it will be interesting to see if he can get in the low 4.6s in the 40; in the 6.8 range in the three-cone; in the high 30s in the vertical jump; and in the 10-foot-10 range in the broad jump.

Memphis DT Dontari Poe
Poe won't break any records in terms of speed, agility or jumps, but it will be fun to watch how well be moves at approximately 330 pounds. Current Cleveland Browns DT Philip Taylor had a pretty good workout at last year's combine, but Poe is likely to blow him out of the water. At his size, the keys for Poe will be breaking 30 inches in the vertical jump and 4.6 in the short shuttle.

North Carolina OLB Zach Brown
When you study Brown on tape his instincts are called into question and he leaves a lot of plays on the field, but there is not another linebacker in the draft with his combination of size (6-1⅜, 236), explosive speed and athleticism. He reportedly ran in the high 4.4s for scouts last spring, and four linebackers at last year's combine were in that range. Brown is expected to be there this year, and should also test well across the board in other areas.

Brown was once in the late-first-round conversation, but his film continues to reveal a lack of consistency, questionable football acumen and an up-and-down motor. He needs a big workout to stem the bleeding and stay in the second-round conversation.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The don't-overreact category

The following players won't set the world on fire during combine workouts, but that won't worry scouts much.

Luke Kuechly's impressive instincts make up for his lack of ideal athleticism.

Boston College ILB Luke Kuechly
There is no player in the draft whose workout I care about less than Kuechly's. The average inside linebacker at the last four combines was 240 pounds, and he should be around 237. Kuechly will probably be in the 4.7s in the 40, which is just fine, and he'll probably post just average results in other areas.

It just doesn't matter, though, because his instincts, tackling skills and playing speed against the run and in coverage are so good. Kuechly belongs in the first half of the first round, and his workout won't affect his stock unless he absolutely tanks in every area.

Boise State RB Doug Martin
Martin does not have explosive speed or exceptional athleticism, but he does all the little things well and is good in every area. His workout won't match up with what we see on tape, but you'd like to see him run in the high 4.5s, post a three-cone right around 7.0 and jump around 34 in the vertical. However, it won't be too alarming if he comes in a bit below expectations in one or more area.

Virginia CB Chase Minnifield
Minnifield is a perfect fit as a Cover 2 corner. He shows good instincts, makes very few mistakes, is active and physical in run support, and has very good ball skills. However, he's average to slightly below-average in terms of top-end speed, lateral agility and hip fluidity.

Still, as long as Minnifield is in the middle of the pack in terms of agility drills his grade won't be affected. His other skills will keep him in the Day 2 range as long as that's the case.

Three tough interviews

North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins
Much like current Baltimore Ravens CB Jimmy Smith a year ago, teams are trying to figure out whether Jenkins is a bad guy or simply surrounded himself with the wrong people. Will he be sincere and contrite in interviews, or will he try to pull one over on teams.

Jenkins has clear-cut first-round skills and is the second-best cover corner in the draft behind LSU's Morris Claiborne, but off-field incidents that include multiple drug-related arrests raise plenty of concerns. If things don't go well in Indianapolis and during visits to team facilities in the coming weeks, Jenkins could fall all the way to the third round.

Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict
Plenty of rumors and speculation about Burfict's behavior are circulating in scouting circles, and teams will do a lot of digging. Scouts and executives continue to tell me about two specific concerns: discipline both on and off the field, and anger management.

Burfict is a big (6-3, 252), smooth-moving linebacker who shows jaw-dropping power, but the question is whether he can keep his emotions under control and play within a system rather than as an individual. His physical tools are readily apparent, but he's inconsistent on film and his lack of discipline is maddening. He piled up at least 17 personal fouls in 35 career games.

I see no better than a second-round player on film, and his stock will be hurt further if Burfict doesn't begin answering questions about his state of mind.

McNeese State S Janzen Jackson
Jackson began his career at Tennessee before a series of incidents -- including an arrest for attempted armed robbery (charges later dropped) and a leave from the team in early 2011 -- led to his dismissal from the program. I continue to hear questions about his erratic behavior, maturity and character, whether he has the character to do the right things once he has money, fame and free time.

Jackson has top-50 physical tools, but his stock will be almost solely dependent on whether he can convince teams he's ready to be a pro, accept coaching and guidance, and leave his off-field troubles behind. As it stands now he carries a late-third-round grade.

Shock value

These three players should post some eye-popping results during workouts.

Miami (FL) WR Tommy Streeter: I'm told Streeter has been running in the 4.3-second range while training in South Florida. Did I mention he's 6-4 and 213 pounds?

Michigan C David Molk: There's a lot of buzz about Molk potentially breaking the combine record for most reps on the 225-pound bench press, which stands at 49 and was set last year by former Oregon State DT Stephen Paea. Our friends at WoverineNation recently profiled the training efforts by Molk and Wolverines DT Mike Martin as they eye the bench-press record.

LSU CB Ron Brooks: He was overshadowed by likely top-10 pick Morris Claiborne and freshman sensation Tyrann Mathieu, but Brooks is a dynamic athlete in his own right. He is expected to turn some heads on Tuesday with his speed and agility during the timing and testing portions of the workout.

Key medical exams

These players will be looking to assure teams that past medical issues won't be an issue for them in the NFL.

Lamar Miller played through a shoulder injury in 2011, and teams will examine him closely.

Miami (FL) RB Lamar Miller: He injured his left shoulder in late September and played through the pain most of the season. Miller underwent surgery on December 20, though his rehab is reportedly ahead of schedule. With only 335 career carries he doesn't have extreme wear and tear on his body, and at this point he still looks like an early-second-round pick.

Stanford TE Coby Fleener: He never missed a game due to injury during his four seasons at Stanford (51 games), but back issues are being evaluated by NFL team doctors. In 2011, Fleener was knocked out of the Arizona game with concussion-like symptoms but was cleared to play one day after the game. He is a late-first or early-second-round pick at this point.

Syracuse DE Chandler Jones: It's not a make-or-break issue for Jones, but a knee injury that cost him five games early in the season will be evaluated for long-term impact. He's currently in the late-first-round area and will likely remain in the top 50.

Nebraska DE Jared Crick: His senior season ended in early October due to a torn pectoral muscle, but Crick is expected to participate in at least some drills in Indianapolis. A pectoral injury can be devastating for a lineman because it affects upper-body power, arm extension and flexibility. Crick was a first round prospect entering the season, but there are a lot of unknowns at this point in terms of strength and range of motion. He's also not an elite athlete, and is a Day 2 prospect as a result.

Louisiana-Lafayette TE Ladarius Green: Reportedly has tendonitis in his knees and his medical report could negatively affect his draft status. In 2011, Green also missed the Kent State game due to shoulder injury suffered in the opener, and also missed the Middle Tennessee game because of his shoulder. Green is the fourth tight end on the board behind Fleener, Charles and Dwayne Allen (Clemson), but if teams believe his knees could be a long-term problem his stock could be hurt. He currently carries a late-third-round grade.

California OT Mitchell Schwartz: He's been a durable player (51 career starts), but Schwartz has dealt with back problems and teams will be evaluating the possibility that his nagging issue could get worse as his career progresses. If teams are not satisfied Schwartz could fall out of the Day 2 mix.

FIU WR Ty Hilton: Dealt with knee, hamstring and quadriceps injuries during his career, and has a slight frame (5-9½, 178). A quad issue kept Hilton out of the Senior Bowl, so it's important that he's healthy and works out well at the combine, because he didn't get a lot of exposure against good competition, so Hilton needs to verify that he's as fast as he appears on tape.

Florida State OT Andrew Datko: He attempted to play through a recurring shoulder injury, but was forced to shut it down early in the 2011 season and eventually underwent surgery. Datko claims he's back to 100 percent and I'm interested to see how ready he is. Datko is a zone-blocking tackle in the Day 2 range, but he could slip further down the board if his medicals don't check out.

Top 10 snubs
Approximately 10 percent of the players selected in each draft did not receive invitations to the NFL combine. Big names who have fallen the cracks include Tony Romo, Wes Welker, James Harrison, Sebastian Vollmer and RB Arian Foster.

With that in mind, here are my 10 highest rated NFL combine snubs in 2012:

Miami (OH) G Brandon Brooks (6-4⅝, 353; Grade: 74)
Oklahoma State OT Levy Adcock (6-6, 322; 68)
Boston College CB Donnie Fletcher (6-0⅜, 190; 50)
N.C. State TE George Bryan (6-5, 265; 46)
Miami (FL) Adewale Ojomo (6-3⅛, 258; 44)
Michigan State TE Brian Linthicum (6-3¾, 249; 44)
Penn State DE Eric Latimore (6-6, 275; 40)
Wisconsin S Aaron Henry (5-11¾, 208; 39)
Arkansas ILB Jerry Franklin (6-1⅛, 241; 39)
Alabama C William Vlachos (6-0⅜, 306; 39)

Follow Todd McShay on Twitter: @McShay13

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So Streeter is the tallest and has the longest arms. Criner has the biggest hands. Dwight Jones the heaviest.

Criner's an intriguing prospect. Just as big as Floyd, with bigger hands. Wonder how well he'll run. Stephen Hill says he's been timed at 4.3 in the 40. At 6'4" and with those long arms, he's another guy that I'm following throughout this process.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Rumors about Jeffrey's weight were grossly exaggerated, it would seem.

Maybe his gut was on the towel rack.
homermuumuu.jpg

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Adams with 19 reps on the bench but has 34 inch arm(s). Not great, but.......

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... my WR targets are ever-changing! Hill and Streeter got my attention.... No Randle yet fellas? or do I have to click that WR measurement link?

I'm wondering what is it that doesn't make or elevate Hill and Streeter's draft rep? Maybe their hands?(not size, but the ability to catch).

Kudos to McNutt for measuring much higher than he looked during games.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow... my WR targets are ever-changing! Hill and Streeter got my attention.... No Randle yet fellas? or do I have to click that WR measurement link?

I'm wondering what is it that doesn't make or elevate Hill and Streeter's draft rep? Maybe their hands?(not size, but the ability to catch).

Kudos to McNutt for measuring much higher than he looked during games.

Randle, Rueben Louisiana 6'3/210 33"arms 9 1/2 hands

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Criner's an intriguing prospect. Just as big as Floyd, with bigger hands. Wonder how well he'll run. Stephen Hill says he's been timed at 4.3 in the 40. At 6'4" and with those long arms, he's another guy that I'm following throughout this process.

Pretty sure Criner is closer to 6'2" than 6'3", but we may have to wait for more numbers to come out. Not sure those 7/8" make that much difference.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lots of size in this WR class. I'd really like to walk away with at least one guy who it 6'2"+.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cordy Glenn with 31 reps (35 3/4 arms) is impressive.

David DeCastro 34 reps (32 3/4 arms) is wow.

Assuming those arm lengths are correct, I'd say Glenn's number is quite a bit more impressive.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A MUST read.

New timing method in 40 could lead to culture shock for players - NFL - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

In a first, the combine will use fully automated timing, meaning electronic devices will be used for both the start and the finish of each 40. But these FAT 40 times will not be revealed to players or NFL teams, The Sports Xchange has learned.

---

NFL teams were briefed on the new timing method Wednesday. Because teams keep 40 times to a hundredth of a second, there has long been a push to further legitimize those times by using the same methods as track and field and the Olympics.

But according to coaches and scouts who discussed this with The Sports Xchange, the FAT times are expected to be .20 to .24 seconds slower than the relative times recorded using methods the combine has gone with since 1990 and before.

-----

And a reminder to many if you don't want to read the whole article:

Even before the inclusion of the secret FAT timings this year, there was confusion among the media and fans over so-called "official" 40 times. And the reason is simple -- there really is no single, "official" 40 time.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Assuming those arm lengths are correct, I'd say Glenn's number is quite a bit more impressive.

I've always thought he was top 15 material, and I even think he might be talented enough to play LT.

He'd make an amazing RT or guard though.

Decastro is everything you want in a guard as well. Glenn has like 40 pounds on Decastro, and if I were drafting one of 'em just to play guard I'd take the Stanford man.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A MUST read.

New timing method in 40 could lead to culture shock for players - NFL - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

In a first, the combine will use fully automated timing, meaning electronic devices will be used for both the start and the finish of each 40. But these FAT 40 times will not be revealed to players or NFL teams, The Sports Xchange has learned.

---

NFL teams were briefed on the new timing method Wednesday. Because teams keep 40 times to a hundredth of a second, there has long been a push to further legitimize those times by using the same methods as track and field and the Olympics.

But according to coaches and scouts who discussed this with The Sports Xchange, the FAT times are expected to be .20 to .24 seconds slower than the relative times recorded using methods the combine has gone with since 1990 and before.

-----

And a reminder to many if you don't want to read the whole article:

Even before the inclusion of the secret FAT timings this year, there was confusion among the media and fans over so-called "official" 40 times. And the reason is simple -- there really is no single, "official" 40 time.

This is crazy. If I were a prospect, I wouldn't run either! I'd wait for my pro day or wait until I get a meeting at a respective team's facility to provide them with a private workout.

I wouldn't allow the NFL Combine to experiment their bullsh8 technology on me which could seriously affect my draft stock.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing what happened on Mays forty. Yeah, I'd be running strictly at my Pro Day.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hill is one of my favorite projects this year and one of my favorite fits at the WR position for the 49ers.

A quick story on Stephen Hill when it comes to the combine, though. He has been working out with maybe the best speed coach on the planet in Loren Seagrave. He has taken several athletes and worked wonders with them in terms of increasing their speed and improving their technique. Hill was already a heck of an athlete to begin with but those two working together got some buzz among those who know both guys.

One more thing. Hill's broad jump could end up going down as the best this year. He long jumped in high school, as well as early in his college career. His personal best in high school would have placed him in a tie for 9th in the last Olympics.

----

As far as playing devil's advocate with Hill and Streeter a little bit or pointing out some things that bring their grade down a little bit in my opinion.

Hill comes from a triple option offense, doesn't have alot of experience running a variety of routes or recognizing coverages, and didn't have much at QB the last two years. He is fantastic at going up and getting jump balls and making tough catches but he drops easy ones more often than he should. Once he's at top speed he's difficult to catch but he doesn't make a ton of guys miss when he's gearing up. Overall he's extremely raw but has some of the best physical attributes when it comes to what I'd like to see added for the 49ers.

----

On to Streeter. He really only has one decent year on his resume and is a project WR himself. He doesn't have alot of experience running a variety of routes either. For somebody with his speed he also doesn't separate at all levels of the field as well as one might think. That was probably the biggest problem I had with him.

He did not naturally catch the ball on alot of the catches I saw either. He also drops more passes that he should. He needs to get stronger for several different reasons as well, most notably because he struggles to get off the jam at the line.

----

While I'm talking about Streeter here's another thing I always like to slip in when it comes to Miami WRs. For several teams I would rather get Travis Benjamin late (maybe undrafted) than take Tommy Streeter in the 2nd-4th round range. If the 49ers lose Ginn, Benjamin is a guy that I'll have my eye on late(r).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill comes from a triple option offense, doesn't have alot of experience running a variety of routes or recognizing coverages, and didn't have much at QB the last two years. He is fantastic at going up and getting jump balls

Exactly what we need with the non-risk taking QB we have. Triple option means he's probably good at run blocking which is another plus.