• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Combine Information

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's a seperate issue.

...Bingo I don't think the Carl Nicks comparision is a good one for Jenkins. The "off filed" issue with Nicks was complete and utter B.S. Jenkins, on the other hand, exudes douche baggery pretty brilliantly. He's not as talented as Pac Man Jones, and he has more college baggage. That's not to say he'll be another Jones, but Jenkins is a huge risk.

It is the issue. Is the talent worth the risk? That's the question at hand.

The guy gets arrested three different times while at Florida.

Then gets kicked out of the Florida.

Then goes to North Alabama and gets suspended.

Then we find out that he has 4 children from 3 separate women, and he's barely out of college.

Seems like a HORRIBLE decision maker to me.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jenkins didn't have an amazing combine; I'd say he had a pretty good one though.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you really willing to give this guy a 1st round contract?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It is the issue. Is the talent worth the risk? That's the question at hand.

But it's not the issue you were addressing; you said he had an underwhleming combine. I don't agree with that; I think he had a good combine.

Are you really willing to give this guy a 1st round contract?

If I had to say now I'd go with no. He's definitely below Konz, Glenn & Floyd for my liking (although Floyd has his own issues). I'll probably end up putting him behind Hill & a couple pass rushers too.

I'd take him over teh TEs & CBs not names Gilmore though. Keep in mind I'm ommitting the obvious guys who will go in the top 25.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins didn't have an amazing combine; I'd say he had a pretty good one though.

I disagree. He had a sub-par 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle, and a horrible vertical. 5'10 183 lbs. running 4.47 isn't overly impressive, either.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I disagree. He had a sub-par 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle, and a horrible vertical. 5'10 183 lbs. running 4.47 isn't overly impressive, either.

Are you sure he was 183? I'm reading 193...

He also had one of the fastest listed 10 yard splits. Maybe the fastest?

And where are you getting poor shuttle times? He had great shuttle times!. And his arm length (32 inches) for being 5'10 is very good; that's more important than his vertical, which for comparision was an inch lower than Morris Claiborne's.

Just looked it up: He was 5th for all DBs in the 60 yard shuttle (11.23), and he was tied for 15th in the 20 yard shuttle with 4.13. Claiblorne's 20 yard shuttle was 4.12.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamell Fleming intrigues me. He had a great Senior Bowl week and an impressive combine. Good cover skills, recognition, ball skills, good size, and a decent tackler. Anyone have an opinion on him?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jamell Fleming intrigues me. He had a great Senior Bowl week and an impressive combine. Good cover skills, recognition, ball skills, good size, and a decent tackler. Anyone have an opinion on him?

Just from the video I see a CB that easily gets twisted around on double moves (Because his positioning needs refinement) but he's good at coming up on short routes and stunning the receiver.

I don't see him fitting in our system, but maybe a system that he may excel in is the cover-2

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jenkins an option for Carolina?
11:53AM ET
Carolina Panthers

Tuesday morning we pondered the idea of the Carolina Panthers using the No. 9 overall pick on Justin Blackmon, a player that could become a dynamic complement to Steve Smith. But he's obviously not the only option that could be available to Ron Rivera's team at that spot, and Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer revealed another potential first-rounder in compiling his list of winners and losers from the NFL scouting combine.

According to Person, "the Panthers are intrigued" with the abilities of North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins. Jenkins has a checkered past -- including multiple arrests on marijuana charges -- but reportedly addressed those issues during combine interviews. Oh, he also ran a 4.46 in the 40, with the fastest 10-yard split of any defensive back at the showcase.

The Panthers certainly have a need for an upgrade at CB and both Jenkins and LSU's Morris Claiborne have to be under consideration with their top pick. Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc. offers his thoughts on how Claiborne and Jenkins' work at the NFL scouting combine influenced their stock:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Todd McShay
Day 7 Combine Buzz
"Claiborne (5-foot-11, 188 pounds) had the longest arms (33¼ inches) in the cornerback group, and his 4.50-second 40-yard dash was 10th among all defensive backs. That's not an elite 40 time, but Claiborne doesn't need one because his combination of size, fluidity and movement skills helps make up for his lack of truly elite top-end speed. He gets lazy in his backpedal and plays too high at times, and Claiborne did have one drop, but he's clearly on another level in terms of quickness and natural ability to play the ball. Despite the one drop in drills, on tape, Claiborne is as natural as they come in terms of ball skills. It's arguably his greatest strength. Claiborne neither helped nor hurt his cause, and he's still worth a top-10 pick, but it wasn't an exceptional showing overall. His workout was not to the cornerback class what Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III were to quarterbacks, what Matt Kalil was to offensive tackles, or what Luke Kuechly was to the linebackers ... Jenkins (5-10, 193) had the best workout among the corners. Jenkins posted the sixth-best 40 time (4.46) among defensive backs, and he seemed the most confident, agile, quick-moving corner in drills. His feet got up and down quickly in his backpedal, and he stayed compact while pedaling and showed the ability to smoothly flips his hips and run with receivers. He did mistime one jump after turning and running to a ball thrown down the sideline, but, other than that, Jenkins did a nice job locating and playing the ball. When you look at his workout in combination with Jenkins' 2010 tape while with Florida (when he shut down the likes of A.J. Green and Alshon Jeffery) and his showing at the Senior Bowl (where he was clearly the best cover corner in attendance), there is no doubt he has first-round skills."

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just from the video I see a CB that easily gets twisted around on double moves (Because his positioning needs refinement) but he's good at coming up on short routes and stunning the receiver.

I don't see him fitting in our system, but maybe a system that he may excel in is the cover-2

Well said. He also got demolished against the run. That's not going to fly in San Fran.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for your opinion. Its hard to base everything on one youtube clip, but you make some good points. He does need to improve his tackling technique, but I feel like he has good awareness and instincts. He held Iowa's best WR in McNutt to 4 catches for 46 yards (McNutt's 2nd worst output of the 2011 season). Perhaps not the best fit for the 49ers, but I see him making an impact for another NFL team soon.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 29, 2012

RG3, others cement their status
Defensive linemen continue to rise; disappointing workouts hurt some big names
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Todd McShay looks back at the most impressive workouts from the NFL combine.

The NFL combine is in the books, and there are plenty of impressive workouts and interviews to consider as we re-examine the draft board after a week of action in Indianapolis.

The top three spots appear to be locked down, while a top defensive lineman has fallen out of the top 10 and another has rocketed into the top 15 after crushing the combine process.

A big-name running back has returned to my rankings of the top 32 overall prospects for the 2012 draft after showing his speed in Indianapolis, while a top inside linebacker is also back on the list and the No. 1 center on the board makes his first appearance.

Here's how the entire list shakes out as the combine kicks off. As always, non-seniors are noted with an asterisk.

Andrew Luck* QB 6-4 235
Analysis: Luck's combine workout showed he is more athletic than most thought, and combined with his once-in-a-generation skill set he appears to be a lock as the No. 1 overall pick to the Colts.
Last week: 1

Robert Griffin III* QB 6-2⅜ 218
Analysis: Griffin's ridiculous 4.41-second 40-yard dash and impressive interview sessions have finally pushed him into the No. 2 spot on the board. The speculation is flying about which team will trade with the Rams for the right to draft Griffin at No. 2 overall, and that pick could become the most valuable draft commodity we've ever seen.
Last week: 3

Matt Kalil* OT 6-7 295
Analysis: Kalil's showing in Indianapolis blew the rest of the offensive tackle class out of the water. His combination of size, balance, light feet and finishing ability make him a potential franchise left tackle who will be hard to the Vikings to pass on with the third overall pick.
Last week: 2

Trent Richardson* RB 5-11 224
Analysis: A minor knee scope prevented Richardson from working out at the combine, but he is expected to be ready for his pro day. His rare combination of size, speed, power, balance and vision make him worthy of a top-10 pick.
Last week: 4

Morris Claiborne* CB 6-0 173
Analysis: Hands-down the top cover corner in the nation. Claiborne's combination of size, speed, fluid hips and impressive ball skills were on display at the combine and further cemented his place among the top 10 picks.
Last week: 5

Melvin Ingram DE 6-1⅞ 276
Analysis: Ingram showed off impressive explosiveness and change-of-direction skills at the combine, and when you throw in his quickness and power you have a potential top-10 pick.
Last week: 7

Michael Brockers* DT 6-6 306
Analysis: Brockers didn't blow anyone away with his combine workout, but his game tape shows a big, powerful player who can dominate the point of attack against the run. Plus, he has some potential as a pass-rusher.
Last week: 8

Justin Blackmon* WR 6-1 211
Analysis: He didn't participate in every facet of the combine workout, but Blackmon did display suddenness in his routes, adjusted to the ball well and confirmed his standing as the clear-cut No. 1 wideout.
Last week: 10

Luke Kuechly* ILB 6-2 235
Analysis: Kuechly answered questions about his overall athleticism with an impressive workout in Indianapolis, and his physical tools combined with elite instincts and production make him a top-15 pick in my eyes.
Last week: 9

Riley Reiff* OT 6-6 300
Analysis: Reiff is technically sound with the ability to slide and mirror defenders in pass protection. He's not overwhelming in the running game, but he is solid and consistent overall.
Last week: 12

Quinton Coples DE 6-5¾ 281
Analysis: Coples' speed and burst were on display at the combine, and he projects as a Day 1 starter in either a three- or four-man front.
Last week: 6

Mark Barron S 6-1½ 223
Analysis: Hernia surgery kept him out of the combine but should not be a long-term issue, and Barron remains the most complete, versatile safety on the board.
Last week: 13

Ryan Tannehill QB 6-3¾ 217
Analysis: Surgery on a broken foot prevented Tannehill from working out in Indianapolis, so his pro day will be important for his final evaluation. His physical tools are impressive and he is raw as a quarterback, but his potential is intriguing.
Last week: 18

Dontari Poe* DT 6-3¾ 330
Analysis: Poe's incredible workout was the talk of the combine. At 346 pounds, his 4.98-second 40-yard dash, 29½-inch vertical jump and 44 reps on the bench press bring to mind the athleticism and versatility of Baltimore Ravens All-Pro DT Haloti Ngata.
Last week: 25

Janoris Jenkins CB 5-9⅞ 177
Analysis: Jenkins had the best combine workout among the top corners on the board, and his physical tools are worthy of a first-round grade. However, it remains to be seen how far his off-field baggage and character issues will hurt him on draft day.
Last week: 15

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
David DeCastro* G 6-4½ 314
Analysis: DeCastro's physical, dominating style made him the top interior lineman in the country in 2011, and his combine showing reinforced what we've seen on tape. He' an NFL player from the moment he sets foot in camp.
Last week: 14

Courtney Upshaw OLB 6-1½ 273
Analysis: Upshaw did not live up to expectations in Indy, failing to show good explosiveness and change-of-direction skills, but his power and strength at the point of attack could make him a fit as a 4-3 defensive end. Last week: 11

Fletcher Cox* TE 6-3¾ 296
Analysis: Cox's speed, quickness and agility were on display at the combine, and he is cementing his status as a top-three defensive tackle. Last week: 17

Michael Floyd WR 6-3 229
Analysis: Floyd's combine showing confirmed that he has the speed to get on top of man coverage, and that combined with his elite downfield ball skills helps Floyd's case as the second wide receiver off the board.
Last week: 26

Dre Kirkpatrick* CB 6-2½ 190
Analysis: Kirkpatrick's short arms and questionable ball skills limit him in man coverage, but he's solid in zone coverage and is physical in run support. Last week: 16

Cordy Glenn G 6-5½ 346
Analysis: Glenn's size, power and athleticism make him a first-round guard prospect, and also give him the potential to develop into a right tackle in the NFL.
Last week: 20

Kendall Wright WR 5-10⅛ 194
Analysis: Wright's 4.61-second 40-yard dash at the combine was disappointing, but he appears to play faster than that on film and his playmaking skills after the catch keep him in the first-round mix. His pro day is now very important to his draft stock.
Last week: 23

Mike Adams OT 6-7 323
Analysis: Adams has a massive frame and moves easily for his size, and although he doesn't play with as much of an edge as you'd like, he has the tools to emerge as a starter at the next level.
Last week: 19

Jonathan Martin* OT 6-6 304
Analysis: Martin didn't take part in the combine because of an illness and he's not as dominant on tape as one would expect, but he has the physical tools to develop into a starter at the next level.
Last week: 24

Jerel Worthy DT 6-3 305
Analysis: Worthy has the quickness and strength to anchor and/or disrupt against the run, and while his combine workout was not jaw-dropping he shows the tools to develop as an interior pass-rusher.
Last week: 22

Andre Branch DE 6-4¼ 260
Analysis: Branch's athleticism, quickness, bend as an edge rusher and ability to play in space showed up at the combine, and he's squarely in the first-round mix.
Last week: 29

Peter Konz C 6-5 315
Analysis: Konz has good size for a center, is effective getting to the second level and works hard to finish blocks.
Last week: NR

Devon Still* DT 6-5¼ 307
Analysis: Still was just average at the combine, but he was one of the most disruptive interior defensive linemen in the nation in 2011, showing good initial quickness and strength.
Last week: 24

Brock Osweiler* QB 6-7½ 240
Analysis: Osweiler did not work out at the combine due to a foot injury and lacks ideal experience, but he's athletic for his size and his arm is strong enough to overcome a somewhat unusual delivery.
Last week: 27

Chandler Jones* DE 6-5 247
Analysis: Jones flew under the radar in 2011 but is rising after more thorough film study, and his size, strength and length give him impressive potential as a pass-rusher.
Last week: 28

Lamar Miller* RB 5-11 214
Analysis:Miller's 4.40-second 40-yard dash was the best for a running back at the combine, and his recovery from offseason shoulder surgery seems to be right on schedule. He lacks ideal power and strength as an inside runner, but Miller's speed and acceleration are impressive.

Dont'a Hightower* ILB 6-2 265
Analysis: Hightower showed impressive mobility for his size at the combine, and he is a strong, physical defender who knows how to control the inside against the run.

Out of the rankings: USC DE Nick Perry*, Stanford TE Coby Fleener, Clemson DT Brandon Thompson.

Todd McShay is the director of college scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998.

Follow Todd McShay on Twitter: @McShay13

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting that Perry fell out of the rankings after what most would consider a very strong combine.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good catch there. Even the highly coveted Fleener is out.

That is strange for Perry to fall, but with Brooks inked, I shouldn't think about rooting for a Perry selection in the first.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft 2012

Post-combine Big Board
The NFL combine put some new names on the Big Board, but dropped others
By Mel Kiper

Archive As I noted in my post on who aced the combine and who will face further questions, the familiarity with prospects at this point means there's little they can do to totally surprise. In fact, I think the combine has far less to do with the workouts and more to do with finally getting accurate measurements on prospects. You can question parents, coaches, friends, agents and anybody associated with a guy in the draft, but until the NFL gives a confirmed height and weight, you get numbers that are all over the place. As you scan the Board, note that the numbers for several prospects have been updated.

As always, read on and let me know who should be higher or who has been passed over, in your opinion. Juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1 Andrew Luck *
POS: QB
He didn't throw, but no complaints here. That's what his pro day is for. I expected him to surprise in testing, and I think he showed he's more than a thrower. Status quo remains. The total package: arm strength, size, smarts, demeanor. Ready to play.
LAST WEEK: 1 |

2 Matt Kalil *
POS: OT
Kalil confirmed that he is a good athlete for his position. The tape is great, and it's hard to see him falling outside the top five. The plus for him is he might not need time to develop at right tackle, a common break-in spot for many left tackles.
LAST WEEK: 2 |

3 Trent Richardson *
POS: RB
Richardson couldn't run in Indy because he had a pretty routine procedure on his knee. Should be ready for pro day. Powerful, fast and showed improved vision and pass-catching skills; he runs with good pad level and breaks tackles with ease.
LAST WEEK: 3 |

4 Robert Griffin III *
POS: QB
Confirming his height was a test he passed, but he aced all the others in Indy. Griffin III is accurate, throws a good deep ball, is a proven leader, and I think has convinced teams he is ready to play early. Likely No. 2 pick, without question.
LAST WEEK: 6 |

5 Morris Claiborne *
POS: CB
Showed he has adequate speed, but was never considered a total burner to start. The lesser-known but easily the better LSU corner this past season. Exceptional pure cover corner with impeccable instincts. Locates the ball and can catch it.
LAST WEEK: 4 |

6 Justin Blackmon *
POS: WR
Blackmon dips a little as he came in slightly shorter than expected, but he's been steady here for a while, and I expect he'll still land inside the top 10. He's a great route-runner, versatile, explosive and really works to get open. Great ball skills, breaks tackles and has solid intangibles.
LAST WEEK: 5 |

7 Quinton Coples
POS: DE
Has been really solid through the draft process, at Senior Bowl and combine. No surprises. Given where he plays -- there's a lack of 4-3 DE talent -- hard to see him dropping too far now. Great size and length to hold the edge in 4-3LAST WEEK: 7 |

8 Riley Reiff *
Behind Kalil as the No. 2 tackle on the board, but the tape is superb, maybe the best tape of any LT this year, as I've said before. Combine doesn't move him. Very complete player and very durable. Ready to help a number of teams.
LAST WEEK: 8 |

9 Luke Kuechly *
POS: LB
Bigger than listed all year, and his testing was superb. Gets a bump up. Great instincts at this position given his age -- he won't be 21 until the week before the draft. A tackling machine; he makes great reads, sees the play develop and sheds blockers well.
LAST WEEK: 9 |

10 Melvin Ingram
Positional scarcity helps his cause, as I've said before, but his testing helps too. A very good pass-rusher, Ingram has the ability to convert to a 3-4 outside linebacker in the right system, but he could get a lot of looks for the 4-3.
LAST WEEK: 10 |

11 Dontari Poe *
POS: DT
Blew a lot of people away in Indy with his rare athleticism at this size. Poe is close to 350 pounds, but moves as well as many defensive ends 60-plus pounds lighter. And he's immensely strong. Let's be clear: He fits any system.
LAST WEEK: 16 |

12 Mark Barron
POS: S
With the recent surgery no big issue, he's the top safety in the draft right now. Didn't test in Indy, however. Good size and range instincts for the position, he's also a solid tackler in the open field. Safeties are needed in in Round 1.
LAST WEEK: 12 |

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
13 David DeCastro *
POS: OG
Ready to be plugged in at guard and play at a high level. Extremely consistent, he's athletic and powerful in the run game. Joins the Pouncey brothers as a guard graded this high, a very highly rated interior blocker.
LAST WEEK: 17 |

14 Fletcher Cox *
A disruptive player who was in the backfield causing havoc often, Cox also showed off serious athleticism in Indy, running sub-4.8 at near 300 pounds. Can work in any scheme, he could push his way into the top 10.
LAST WEEK: 14 |

15 Michael Floyd
POS: WR
Give him credit -- Floyd had a productive senior year, playing lighter and playing faster. He showed off more of the same at the combine. Able to beat you short or deep, has a big frame to beat smaller cornerbacks.
LAST WEEK: 20 |

16 Cordy Glenn
POS: T/G
Mammoth but quite versatile, and he proved it in Indy. Glenn is really experienced and has been able to play all over. Has spent time at tackle but can dominate at guard, and I'd expect whoever drafts him to ultimately have him blocking inside.
LAST WEEK: 18 |

17 Michael Brockers *
After a quick rise, Brockers came in a little heavy at 322 pounds. Brockers has scheme versatility and could be attractive to teams as a 3-4 DE, or as a 3-tech in a 4-3. A disruptive player who will tie up multiple blockers and get good penetration.
LAST WEEK: 13 |

18 Courtney Upshaw
POS: LB
Pro day will be key. Had been a riser throughout the year. Has improved his pass-rush skills but size makes him a tweener. Great pad level, uses hands well and violently, and battles against the run.
LAST WEEK: 11 |

19 Dre Kirkpatrick *
Stock remains steady, and I think he'll stay as No. 2 corner in the draft. His biggest advantage is his elite size for the position, and he doesn't give up much quickness for it. Still has top-10 potential.
LAST WEEK: 23 |

20 Jonathan Martin *
Has dipped some as I see more tape, but he's still very good, just not at the top-10 level. Trusted in passing game as blindside protection for Luck, he is also strong as a run-blocker. Likely to start at RT.
LAST WEEK: 21 |

21 Harrison Smith
POS: S
After a strong showing in Indy, he cracks the Board for the first time. I love Smith's instincts and ability to do it all -- taking great routes in passing game, and supporting the run -- but wanted to see him test well.
LAST WEEK: NR |

22 Kendall Reyes
A really powerful player, Reyes will occupy blocks and can play effectively in either scheme. I considered him a late fit in the first round in my previous mock, and he tested out well to confirm that standing for me.

23 Janoris Jenkins
The off-field questions are there, but there's little doubt about the talent. Quick as a cat with fluid hips and very good instincts for the position, he's a potential star if his head is there. Has been dynamic as a punt returner as well.

24 Andre Branch
Branch was on the Big Board for much of the year, but his production tailed off and he dipped a bit. But scheme could be an issue. His combine showing should prove to teams he'll be most effective standing up in a 3-4, and that helps.

25 Peter Konz *
POS: C
Currently the top center on the board, Konz sees and calls the game like an experienced quarterback. A fantastic run-blocker, he gets to the second level effectively and can handle the position early.
LAST WEEK: 24 |

Mel Kiper has been the premier name in NFL draft prospect evaluations for more than three decades. He started putting out his annual draft guides in 1978 and started contributing to ESPN as an analyst in 1984. For more from Mel, check out his annual draft publications or his home page. He also can be found on Twitter here.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Combine winners and question marks
Combine winners -- and where they stand in the draft -- plus some question marks
By Mel Kiper

Robert Griffin III solidified his draft stock with a strong performance at the NFL combine.

The NFL combine this year didn't deliver what I'd call any out-of-left-field performances, the kind you simply couldn't fathom going in. And the physical testing gets a little bit overrated to the extent it helps create a profile. The profile is already there -- the combine provides a series of indicators. See something you didn't think was there, well, you go back to the tape to see where you missed it. And sometimes, other numbers matter more. For instance, people will talk about Robert Griffin III's great run in the 40, but this is what we expected from of a track-level athlete. The biggest number that came out of the combine for RG3 was actually the confirmation of his height, at 6-2⅜. There are magic numbers for QBs, but the 40 isn't one of them.

That said, there are certainly some notable players whose stock rose and fell. So let's take a look at both sides of the ball. I'll also put in where their current draft grade (or projection) is. And remember, if I didn't mention someone you're looking for, this is more about guys who may have changed a perception, or a grade, not simply did well or struggled.

Winners

Offense:

Robert Griffin III, QB: Height was the question, not athleticism, and Griffin measured up. Now solidly locked in as the likely No. 2 pick if the Rams can work out a deal. They'll want to get that done before free agency for leverage purposes.

Kirk Cousins, QB: Not great in any one area, but solid across all of them, and Cousins has intangibles that evaluators love. I can see him safely into the second round now, where before a third-round grade was a better bet. A good week for him.

LaMichael James, RB: He'll want to brand himself as a Darren Sproles-type, and he has the measurables to do that. The 4.45 40 is actually an important number for James, who needs the "explosive" credentials at his size (194 pounds). Second-round grade for me.

David Wilson, RB: Showed off explosive creds with a 41.0-inch vertical, and his 4.49 at 206 pounds is plenty good. He'll battle similarly impressive Lamar Miller to be the second RB off the board, likely in the late first or early second.

Stephen Hill, WR: He averaged more than 29 yards per catch in 2011, but a wacky total like that can happen in Georgia Tech's offense when you have an explosive deep threat. Well, we have a better sense of Hill's explosiveness now. A 4.36 while measuring 6-4, 215, could get him into the late first-round mix. The 49ers could be a fit there.

Tommy Streeter, WR: He didn't play as fast as the 4.40 he ran in Indy, but at 6-5, 219, that speed gets him into the Round 2 discussion and will certainly have a lot of scouts going back to the tape.

Coby Fleener, TE: If Fleener runs in the 4.5 range at his pro day, he could be in the first round. The Giants make sense. He is now an option as the first tight end off the board.

Cordy Glenn, OG: Considering I have Glenn as a mid-first-round pick best suited for guard, it's hard to say he could move up, but some teams could probably see him at right tackle, too. Workouts confirmed what we believe -- powerful yet plenty nimble for his huge frame.

Matt Kalil, LT: Claimed rightful place as top tackle in the draft. A good bet for No. 3 to Minnesota.

Defense:

Dontari Poe, DT: His workouts were better almost across the board than Haloti Ngata, who currently carries the lead in the "Guys that big shouldn't be able to move like that" clubhouse. I could see him as the surprise name to jump into the top 10. Part of that is he could probably be equally dominant in a 4-3 at DT, though we always link him to the 3-4.

Kendall Reyes, DT: I had him as a Round 1 guy in my last mock and got some questions, but I still see him as a good fit late in the first.

Fletcher Cox, DT: Solidified a mid-first grade. It won't say a lot about what he does on the field, but a 4.79 at 298 pounds is a pretty freaky number for a DT. Good week for Cox.

Luke Kuechly, LB: I had him at No. 12 in my latest mock, already high praise for an interior linebacker. Question was his size, but Kuechly came in at 242, and didn't lose a step, and in fact, probably surprised people with how athletic he is. Good story, great player. Safe mid- to high-first grade.

Bruce Irvin, OLB: His year was just average given his skill set, but at least the athleticism isn't in question. I see him as an early Day 2 pick.

Lavonte David, LB: Really encouraging for David's stock that he got his weight to 233 and still showed off plenty of athleticism, including a 4.56. He could be a solid second-rounder now and is a tackling machine.

Josh Robinson, CB: Had a mid-round grade coming in, but a 4.33 tends to change that. Evaluators heading back to the tape. He could be in the third round now.

Dwight Bentley, CB: Another late-round guy who moved up, he was quick and fluid in drills and could be a mid-round pick now.

Question marks

Offense:
I had fewer players that I thought really stumbled, starting at QB. Year after year we'll see good QBs go out and throw to wide receivers they've never played with, in an environment where they are all pumped up, and not look their best -- just look at Cam Newton last year. You really have to wait for the pro days.

Marc Tyler, RB: He had an up-and-down career with USC, but he'll really need to fashion himself as a power back, given the lack of explosiveness he showed. Problem is, he checked in at 219, so he's a tweener with a falling late-round grade now.

Dan Herron, RB: I like Herron, but thought he needed to make a splash here given the missed time in 2011. That didn't happen, confirming a late-round grade.

Kendall Wright, WR: I don't think he's out of the first-round discussion, but I'd like to see Wright get closer to the 4.43 range at his pro day. He's considered explosive, and the tape confirms that, but teams will obviously want to cross-check.

Alshon Jeffery, WR: He checked in at 216 following three years of being listed about 13 pounds heavier. If he doesn't run at about 4.5, we'll certainly wonder if he has enough athleticism to separate. He's a big target and it'd be hard to see him falling past the second round, but he has work to do.

Vontaze Burfict had a very poor NFL combine.

Mohamed Sanu, WR: Very good and very productive, but didn't run a great time and might be likelier to settle late in Round 2. Pro day is important.

Dwayne Allen, TE: He's still right there as one of the top two tight ends in this draft, but he was running for a first-round grade, and that didn't happen. Looks more like a second-round grade now, but could jump at pro day.

Defense:

Michael Brockers, DT: Up to 322 pounds, Brockers is still seen as a 3-technique tackle in a 4-3. But the weight seemed to drag on his explosiveness, and the strength numbers were also less than average. He may want to drop a little weight before his pro day. Still a safe Round 1 guy, but needs to find that comfort zone.

Devon Still, DT: He derives a lot of value from being able to jump into a 3-4 or 4-3, but still has been sliding on my board. He needs to show more explosiveness, because he's not a great penetrator.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB: He's a high-motor guy who can rush the quarterback, but he didn't run in Indy and will need to show enough explosiveness that teams think he won't get engulfed by NFL tackles.

Vontaze Burfict, LB: He already carries attitude questions, and Burfict needed to turn heads with workouts. Heads were turned, but for the wrong reason. He looked sluggish, to put it mildly. Once a first-round guy, he could be in the middle rounds if he doesn't recover.

Cliff Harris, CB: Disappointing performances in the drills (ran a 4.58) combined with some off-field questions make Harris likelier to fall to the middle rounds.

Alfonzo Dennard, CB: Solid everywhere, but not great in any one area, Dennard is a good prospect who didn't test great, limiting the chances he goes in Round 1.

Mel Kiper has been the premier name in NFL draft prospect evaluations for more than three decades. He started putting out his annual draft guides in 1978 and started contributing to ESPN as an analyst in 1984. For more from Mel, check out his annual draft publications or his home page. He also can be found on Twitter here.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two more players the 49ers met with at the combine were: Mohamed Sanu and Bernard Pierce.