• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Combine Information

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seven takeaways from the combine
February, 27, 2012 11:43AM ET
By Paul Kuharsky

One thing that didn't change after this year's NFL combine -- Andrew Luck is still going to the Indianapolis Colts at No. 1.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Let's hop around to seven things I took away from the NFL scouting combine with an AFC South takeaway on each:

1. There are a lot of intriguing receivers, but some insiders don’t expect even Justin Blackmon to be a quick, high-impact guy like A.J. Green and Julio Jones were last year. It’s the beginning of hole-punching season and scouts and analysts will pick people apart. But while there are a lot of talented receivers coming out, if you are a team that needs immediate impact, one strong opinion says you’d be wise to shop in a pretty good free-agent market.

What it means to the division: The Jaguars have to land at least one big-time guy in free agency. I nominate Vincent Jackson. The Colts need to hold onto Reggie Wayne or Pierre Garcon.

2. The top guys seem like sure things: Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III and USC left tackle Matt Kalil could go 1-2-3 if someone trades into St. Louis’ No. 2 pick. I’ve not heard anyone raising any real issues with any of the three or with LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne. The quarterbacks are expected to be franchise guys, the tackle can protect a franchise guy and the corner can take away the franchise guy’s top target.

What it means to the division: There is no suspense at all about what the Colts are going to do and Luck’s combine visit to Lucas Oil Stadium was the first of many. Claiborne could be irresistible if he is there at No. 7 for the Jags.

3. Position values can be overrated. Historically, guards and safeties are not regarded as early first-round values. But this draft may feature singular guys at each spot, and it makes little sense to pass on Stanford guard David DeCastro or Alabama safety Mark Barron if you have a hole at the position. They are both drawing raves.

What it means for the division: Both probably disappear after the Colts and Jaguars have picked first and seventh but before the Titans pick 20th.

4. Quinton Coples is going to be a scary pick. The North Carolina defensive end gets some people talking about Julius Peppers. But his effort in his final year with the Tar Heels was questionable at best. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said it looked like Coples “had a union deal” the way he went through the motions. The team that takes him won’t have a guarantee joining its roster, it'll have a guy a defensive line coach will need to figure out.

What it means for the division: The Jaguars could go into the draft still needing a rush end, but the knocks on Coples don’t make him seem like a match with GM Gene Smith at all.

5. There is a flurry of new information teams will be gathering for a couple more days. But when scouts and personnel executives get back to their offices Wednesday, the film will once again be the prevalent measure they put to work as they stack their boards. Forty times, bench press numbers, Wonderlic scores and interview notes will all factor into grades. But the most significant information gained in Indianapolis is typically the hands-on medical information training staffs gather. Details of issues there may also be the biggest secrets.

What it means for the division: Nothing different than for anyone else. We don’t know what we don’t know, and the intrigue is a big part of why this whole process is so insanely popular.

6. News nuggets from coaches and GMs are more and more difficult to pry loose at this stage of the year. We learned Jaguars defensive tackle Tyson Alualu had knee surgery, the Colts have made a contract offer to Pierre Garcon he didn’t accept, the Texans still see Matt Leinart and T.J. Yates competing for the No. 2 quarterback job and the Titans might overpay for a veteran edge rusher. Beyond that? Not much. A lot of generalities as secrecy ruled the day.

What it means for the division: Run through the AFC South coaches and GMs. Who’s the most dynamic, chatty guy of the bunch? I think it’ll be Colts coach Chuck Pagano in time. Five of the eight guys are in their first or second season in the job. Everyone is pretty reserved at this point, even the veterans of the group, Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak of the Texans.

7. We need to go find the specifics of a different rule every year. Colts general manager Ryan Grigson and Pagano both said they had not seen Peyton Manning throw. They didn’t say they aren’t allowed to see Manning throw. As it turns out, though, NFL rules don’t allow for executives beyond medical staff to watch even a rehabilitating player work at this point. While I don’t believe there is a decision still to be made, it’s interesting that the Colts' new duo at the top will only be able to hear reports from medical people and not see for themselves by the March 8th bonus deadline for Manning.

What it means for the division: Every team in the division will have a question at quarterback heading into camp: Is Matt Schaub’s foot healed? Can Matt Hasselbeck hold off Jake Locker? Does Blaine Gabbert get better? And how effective can Luck be from the start?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 27, 2012
NFL combine predictors: Defense
Can you tell where a guy will be drafted by how he tests? You can get close
By Nik Bonaddio and Keith Goldner

Courtney Upshaw could solidify his ranking as the top outside linebacker with a strong combine.

What can NFL combine data tell us about where players will be drafted? And more specifically, are there certain combine tests that generally impact where a player is drafted? In its simplest form, the NFL draft is a measure of how NFL management evaluates college talent. In a perfectly efficient market, it would also be a measure of how college talent translates into professional production. Unfortunately, it's not perfectly efficient -- just ask Cincinnati Bengals fans about the Akili Smith experiment.

The combine consists of six primary tests: bench press, 40-yard dash, vertical jump, broad jump, shuttle run and three-cone drill. In fact, it's a lot like the combine at numberFire, except our tests are less about running and jumping and more about matrix algebra.

We're meeting the jocks halfway, applying our math to the muscle to determine which specific workouts best predict draft position for skill players.

Last week, we focused on offensive skill players. This week, we turn our attention to the defensive side of the ball.

Cornerbacks
Cornerbacks need speed, agility and jumping ability to keep up with the elite wide receivers in the NFL. This makes the combine the ideal place to scout cornerbacks. Like wide receivers and running backs, the biggest determining factor in a cornerback's draft position is the 40 time. In fact, 40 time correlates at 0.49 to round drafted, higher than any of the offensive skill position tests.

Since 1999, only 10 percent of cornerbacks to run a 4.40 or better went undrafted, and every player to run 4.30 or better was drafted in the first three rounds. Conversely, no corner since 1999 to run above 4.63 was drafted higher than the fifth round. The slowest first-round pick was Rashard Anderson in 2000 who ran a 4.55 and was drafted No. 23 overall.

numberFireThe next best predictor is the broad jump, but significantly less important. Only one player to jump over 127 inches has gone undrafted, with Earl Thomas scoring the lowest among first-rounders at 113 inches.

While not a burner, nothing outside of a truly disastrous time will pull Morris Claiborne out of the top 10, but an interesting battle falls between Dre Kirkpatrick and Janoris Jenkins. Kirkpatrick has elite size for the position but may need to show he's got the quickness to go with it. Jenkins, on the other hand, has speed to burn and will have to work on his soft skills to impress upon wary GMs that his character issues are behind him. If you're looking for a sleeper, Stephon Gilmore's stock has been all over the place over the past few weeks, and he's certainly got the wheels to impress in Indy.

Safeties
Much like the other skill positions, 40 time is far and away the top predictor for safeties -- 40 time correlates at 0.44. Since 1999, no safety has run sub-4.30, but only six guys to run under 4.50 have gone undrafted. While you rarely see the same top speed at safety that you do at corner, it's extremely important to land in that 4.3-4.5 time range. Only two safeties, Roy Williams out of Oklahoma and Thomas Davis out of Georgia, have been drafted in the first round after running slower than 4.50. Williams clocked in at 4.53, while Davis stopped the watch at 4.60.

Vertical leap and broad jump are also decent predictors of draft position for safeties, but not quite at the level of 40 time. Notable guys to jump out of the gym include Eric Berry in 2010 at 43 inches, Bob Sanders in 2004 at 41.5 inches and Gerald Sensabaugh in 2005 at a ridiculous 46 inches.

The safety class is weaker than a mild buffalo wing, with only Mark Barron standing out as a first-round pick. While he isn't running this week, he could go as early as Dallas at No. 14. Beyond Barron, Phillip Thomas out of Syracuse and Janzen Jackson out of McNeese State have suboptimal size but the speed to make up for it, making them interesting options for teams with safety needs. Harrison Smith out of Notre Dame has the size and physicality to get scouts interested, but he'll have to be near 4.50 to have a fighting chance at the first round.

Outside linebackers
Outside linebackers also need speed to cover significant space across the field, so it's no surprise that 40 time is the top predictor. Forty time correlates at 0.35 (less than the majority of pure speed positions), but unlike safety and cornerback, there are actually several tests that impact an outside linebacker's draft stock. Broad jump, three-cone drill and vertical jump all predict draft position at a significant level.

The majority of top outside linebackers will fall between 4.55 and 4.70 in the 40. Only four guys have gone in the first round after running slower than 4.70: Brandon Graham, Jon Beason, Chad Greenway and Larry English. Last year, Von Miller tied for the No. 2 time among outside linebackers since 1999 at 4.42 and was drafted second overall. Miller was also second in his class at the broad jump, notching 126 inches. The top players typically register between 115 inches and 125 inches, but there are certainly outliers. The aforementioned English jumped just 107 inches but was still taken No. 16 overall, aided by a 34 on the Wonderlic.

Not everyone does the three-cone drill, but it is important to run at least a 7.20 or better to increase your draft stock -- anything higher shows a lack of quickness and agility. Only Keith Bulluck, Ernie Sims and English were drafted in the first round after failing to break the 7.20 mark. Miller posted a 6.70 last year.

Courtney Upshaw isn't going to turn anyone's head with his speed, but his size and physical strength should keep him firmly at the top of the OLB rankings. Ronnell Lewis, who more fits the prototype of the speedy OLB, could move up to early second-round status with a 40 near 4.60. Zach Brown out of UNC appears to be the Usain Bolt of his position, and will almost surely stand out in Indianapolis; whether he can develop the core strength necessary for the position while retaining his speed is another matter entirely.

numberFire uses algorithmic modeling to better understand sports. Follow Nik Bonaddio at @numberfire, and Keith Goldner at @drivebyfootball. Check out numberFire on Facebook.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Network Official DB 3-cone drill

1. Josh Robinson - 6.55

2. Terrence Frederick - 6.59

3. Coty Sensabaugh - 6.60

4. Stephon Gilmore - 6.61

5. Harrison Smith - 6.63

6. Jeron McMillian - 6.69

T-7. Robert Blanton - 6.71
T-7. Jamell Fleming - 6.71

9. Corey White - 6.72

10. Casey Hayward - 6.76

11. Duke Ihenacho - 6.78

T-12. Justin Bethel - 6.79
T-12. Cliff Harris - 6.79

14. Antonio Fenelus - 6.80

15. Mike Harris - 6.81

16. Chaz Powell - 6.84

17. Trevin Wade - 6.87

18. Janzen Jackson - 6.90

19. Charles Mitchell - 6.93

T-20. Charles Brown - 6.94
T-20. Ryan Steed - 6.94

22. Janoris Jenkins - 6.95

23. Leonard Johnson - 6.96

T-24. Delano Howell - 6.97
T-24. Asa Jackson - 6.97

T-26. Dwight Bentley - 6.99
T-26. Sean Cattouse - 6.99

28. Kelcie McCray - 7.00

T-29. Morris Claiborne - 7.01
T-29. Sean Richardson - 7.01
T-29. Johnny Thomas - 7.01

32. Antonio Allen - 7.02

33. George Iloka - 7.03

34. Josh Norman - 7.09

35. Eddie Pleasant - 7.12

36. De'Andre Presley - 7.19

37. Trumaine Johnson - 7.20

38. Cyhl Quarles - 7.21

39. Brandon Taylor - 7.32

T-40. Coryell Judie - 7.33
T-40. Christian Thompson - 7.33

Jeremy Jones - DNR
Brandon Boykin - DNR
Phillip Thomas - DNR
Omar Bolden - DNR
Alfonzo Dennard - DNR
Trenton Robinson - DNR
Antwuan Reed - DNR
Shaun Prater - DNR
Jayron Hosley - DNR
Micah Pellerin - DNR
Chase Minnifield - DNR
De'Quan Menzie - DNR
Winston Guy - DNR
Markelle Martin - DNR
Mark Barron - DNR
Ron Brooks - DNR
D'Anton Lynn - DNR
Dre Kirkpatrick - DNR

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Network Official DB 20-yard shuttle

1. Casey Hayward - 3.90

2. Stephon Gilmore - 3.94

T-3. Robert Blanton - 3.97
T-3. Jamell Fleming - 3.97
T-3. Josh Robinson - 3.97

6. Trevin Wade - 4.00

T-7. Terrence Frederick - 4.03
T-7. George Iloka - 4.03
T-7. Asa Jackson - 4.03

T-10. Charles Brown - 4.06
T-10. Coty Sensabaugh - 4.06

12. Mike Harris - 4.07

T-13. Morris Claiborne - 4.12
T-13. Harrison Smith - 4.12

T-15. Janoris Jenkins - 4.13
T-15. Christian Thompson - 4.13

T-17. Sean Cattouse - 4.15
T-17. Delano Howell - 4.15
T-17. Janzen Jackson - 4.15
T-17. Trumaine Johnson - 4.15
T-17. Leonard Johnson - 4.15
T-17. Trenton Robinson - 4.15

23. Chaz Powell - 4.16

24. Cliff Harris - 4.19

T-25. Antonio Fenelus - 4.20
T-25. Antwaun Reed - 4.20

T-27. Duke Ihenacho - 4.22
T-27. Jeron McMillian - 4.22
T-27. Charles Mitchell - 4.22
T-27. Ryan Steed - 4.22
T-27. Corey White - 4.22

32. Josh Norman - 4.23

T-33. Antonio Allen - 4.25
T-33. Coryell Judie - 4.25
T-33. Johnny Thomas - 4.25

T-36. Eddie Pleasant - 4.28
T-36. De'Andre Presley - 4.28

38. Kelcie McCray - 4.29

39. Justin Bethel - 4.30

40. Cyhl Quarles - 4.32

41. Brandon Taylor - 4.37

42. Sean Richardson - 4.44

43. Dwight Bentley - 4.50

Jeremy Jones - DNR
Brandon Boykin - DNR
Phillip Thomas - DNR
Omar Bolden - DNR
Alfonzo Dennard - DNR
Shaun Prater - DNR
Jayron Hosley - DNR
Micah Pellerin - DNR
Chase Minnifield - DNR
De'Quan Menzie - DNR
Winston Guy - DNR
Markelle Martin - DNR
Mark Barron - DNR
Ron Brooks - DNR
D'Anton Lynn - DNR
Dre Kirkpatrick - DNR

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Network Official DB 60-yard shuttle

1. Jamell Fleming - 10.75

2. Casey Hayward - 11.10

3. Terrence Frederick - 11.13

4. Stephon Gilmore - 11.15

5. Janoris Jenkins - 11.23

6. Trevin Wade - 11.25

T-7. Robert Blanton - 11.28
T-7. Mike Harris - 11.28

9. Leonard Johnson - 11.40

10. Morris Claiborne - 11.44

T-11. Charles Brown - 11.56
T-11. Kelcie McCray - 11.56

13. Antonio Allen - 11.59

14. Josh Robinson - 11.65

15. Trumaine Robinson - 11.68

16. Christian Thompson - 11.72

17. George Iloka - 11.75

18. Charles Mitchell - 11.78

19. Antonio Fenelus - 11.79

20. Cliff Harris - 11.90

21. Dwight Bentley - 12.11

Jeremy Jones - DNR
Corey White - DNR
Phillip Thomas - DNR
Brandon Boykin - DNR
Coryell Judie - DNR
Brandon Taylor - DNR
Janzen Jackson - DNR
Harrison Smith - DNR
Coty Sensabaugh - DNR
Omar Bolden - DNR
Alfonzo Dennard - DNR
Trenton Robinson - DNR
Sean Richardson - DNR
Cyhl Quarles - DNR
Delano Howell - DNR
Shaun Prater - DNR
Chaz Powell - DNR
De'Andre Presley - DNR
Duke Ihenacho - DNR
Antwuan Reed - DNR
Jayron Hosley - DNR
Eddie Pleasant - DNR
Sean Cattouse - DNR
Micah Pellerin - DNR
Josh Norman - DNR
Asa Jackson - DNR
Ryan Steed - DNR
Chase Minnifield - DNR
Johnny Thomas - DNR
De'Quan Menzie - DNR
Jeron McMillian - DNR
Winston Guy - DNR
Markelle Martin - DNR
Mark Barron - DNR
Justin Bethel - DNR
Ron Brooks - DNR
D'Anton Lynn - DNR
Dre Kirkpatrick - DNR

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Casey Hayward do well. He's one of my favorite CB prospects in the 2nd/3rd round range. Earlier in the year I actually had him ranked in my top 15 but he fell off a bit.

Stephon Gilmore is one of the more physically explosive players I've seen at CB. It's too bad he's so raw in coverage. I'd take him in the 3rd convert him to FS and not look back.

I'm still wondering how people have Janoris Jenkins as a first round pick. Undersized with a mediocre, at best, showing at the combine with questionable work ethic and character concerns up the ass. No thanks.

Really disappointed that two of my favorite CB prospects, Minnifield and Boykin, didn't run. Can't wait to see them at their pro days.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to see Casey Hayward do well. He's one of my favorite CB prospects in the 2nd/3rd round range. Earlier in the year I actually had him ranked in my top 15 but he fell off a bit.

Stephon Gilmore is one of the more physically explosive players I've seen at CB. It's too bad he's so raw in coverage. I'd take him in the 3rd convert him to FS and not look back.

I'm still wondering how people have Janoris Jenkins as a first round pick. Undersized with a mediocre, at best, showing at the combine with questionable work ethic and character concerns up the ass. No thanks.

Really disappointed that two of my favorite CB prospects, Minnifield and Boykin, didn't run. Can't wait to see them at their pro days.

Didn't even realize Gilmore came out, I like him as a 2nd rounder.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gilmore wont make it out the 1st round book that

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You're bugging!!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bingo you beat me to it...

Clyde how is Jenkins' performance at the combine mediocre? He probably had a better showing than any of the big name CBs except Gilmore.

Also I wouldn't call him undersized.; he's 5'10, but 32 inch arms are pretty long for his height. Compare that to Hosley's arms at the same height whose measurement came in 1/8 inch short of 31.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
After Gilmore's great showing today I'd take him off my draft board. I don't think he's worth the 1st rounder, but there's no way he's there in the 2nd.

Jenkins could be there, but ONLY because of all his red flags. How much money does the 30th pick get? Maybe a lower salary than he was expecting most of his college career would humble him. Wishful thinking???

Morris & Dre' are as good as gone. That leaves... who.... Hosley in the 2nd maybe?

Also does Cliff Harris even get drafted now? Maybe in the 6th or 7th?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After Gilmore's great showing today I'd take him off my draft board. I don't think he's worth the 1st rounder, but there's no way he's there in the 2nd.

Jenkins could be there, but ONLY because of all his red flags. How much money does the 30th pick get? Maybe a lower salary than he was expecting most of his college career would humble him. Wishful thinking???

Morris & Dre' are as good as gone. That leaves... who.... Hosley in the 2nd maybe?

Also does Cliff Harris even get drafted now? Maybe in the 6th or 7th?

Sick / Clyce,

Janoris Jenkins = Carl Nicks of 2012. When it's all said and done, we're going to kick ourselves in the a$$ for passing up on a player who will probably be the best player in the league at his respective position.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo you beat me to it...

Clyde how is Jenkins' performance at the combine mediocre? He probably had a better showing than any of the big name CBs except Gilmore.

Also I wouldn't call him undersized.; he's 5'10, but 32 inch arms are pretty long for his height. Compare that to Hosley's arms at the same height whose measurement came in 1/8 inch short of 31.

His 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone were underwhelming. He had a horrible vertical. And running a high 4.4 when you're 185 lbs. isn't particularly impressive.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone were underwhelming. He had a horrible vertical. And running a high 4.4 when you're 185 lbs. isn't particularly impressive.

Clyde, compare his measurbles to other corners that were drafted in years past within the first roun. You'll be surprised to see that he compares favorably to those guys. With the exception to the monsters like Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Hall, and Peterson, Jenkins' numbers is not "underwhelming" to the rest of the corners who went in the first round.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde, compare his measurbles to other corners that were drafted in years past within the first roun. You'll be surprised to see that he compares favorably to those guys. With the exception to the monsters like Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Hall, and Peterson, Jenkins' numbers is not "underwhelming" to the rest of the corners who went in the first round.

And which of those CBs that went in the first round have as much baggage as Jenkins?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sick / Clyce,

Janoris Jenkins = Carl Nicks of 2012. When it's all said and done, we're going to kick ourselves in the a$$ for passing up on a player who will probably be the best player in the league at his respective position.

I don't see the comparison. Nicks went in the 5th round. You're talking about taking Jenkins in the 1st. Pacman could have been a great player, but he couldn't get his shit together. I'm not saying I'd rule out Jenkins, but he has legit flags.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And which of those CBs that went in the first round have as much baggage as Jenkins?

Well that's a seperate issue.

...Bingo I don't think the Carl Nicks comparision is a good one for Jenkins. The "off filed" issue with Nicks was complete and utter B.S. Jenkins, on the other hand, exudes douche baggery pretty brilliantly. He's not as talented as Pac Man Jones, and he has more college baggage. That's not to say he'll be another Jones, but Jenkins is a huge risk.