• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL changing replay system for scoring plays

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wish they're reviewed the first TD today. Might have been ruled a TD.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the belief that if they have to huddle about a scoring play... they should call the touchdown and then let the guy in the booth call a review. With all of these cameras, more often than not they're going to be able to really determine if it's a touchdown or not.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm of the belief that if they have to huddle about a scoring play... they should call the touchdown and then let the guy in the booth call a review. With all of these cameras, more often than not they're going to be able to really determine if it's a touchdown or not.

If this reaction was prompted by the Crabtree endzone catch, I think the huddle of the referees was the correct thing to do... The backjudge already threw his cap prior to the catch, meaning he already ruled that Crabtree went out of bounds. The huddle was to confer with the other officials what he ruled therefore ruling an illegal touch... Now if the replay officials showed the replay immediately after the call, the Niners could have challenged that but as it is, it was the correct procedure by the ground officials...

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If this reaction was prompted by the Crabtree endzone catch, I think the huddle of the referees was the correct thing to do... The backjudge already threw his cap prior to the catch, meaning he already ruled that Crabtree went out of bounds. The huddle was to confer with the other officials what he ruled therefore ruling an illegal touch... Now if the replay officials showed the replay immediately after the call, the Niners could have challenged that but as it is, it was the correct procedure by the ground officials...

What I found interesting about the whole Crabtree non-TD catch, was the lack of a back-line, end-zone replay. I think that is the first time I have seen such a thing.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I found interesting about the whole Crabtree non-TD catch, was the lack of a back-line, end-zone replay. I think that is the first time I have seen such a thing.

Yeah, it wasn't until two or three minutes later that they showed a replay where it looked like he didn't step out of bounds. If it took that long for us to see it then they probably didn't have it in the coaching booth either.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, it wasn't until two or three minutes later that they showed a replay where it looked like he didn't step out of bounds. If it took that long for us to see it then they probably didn't have it in the coaching booth either.

Yeah, the delay, that was strange as well. I watched that one several times and I agree, it does look like his foot stayed in bounds, but the angle makes it impossible to be certain. In or out, it was very close.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I imagined a NASA-like booth with several television screens displayed. The NFL really is strapped to have their own cameras - from the way they make it sound, they rely upon the broadcast televisions crews to cover. They should have six cameras in the endzone plus broadcast. Or if that's overkill at least one directly above on red zone plays, one focusing on the goal line from both sides (two actually), and one in each back corner of the endzone. I don't know, it just seems that they either have more than they showed us (late) or they are undercovered. I'm sure there's a better suggestion than mine, but there also is one better than they are using.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disappointed with the non challenge regardless because we were talking about a TD catch here, not some 5-yd out at midfield, so a challenge to what ultimately would have led to a TD versus a timeout taken in a game that we were starting to seize control in had it swung the other way.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the delay, that was strange as well. I watched that one several times and I agree, it does look like his foot stayed in bounds, but the angle makes it impossible to be certain. In or out, it was very close.

Another one for the conspiracists, maybe there is video that overturns the ruling on the field in which was intentionally kept from Harbaugh and burned. :tinfoil3: I know, too far, but I'm still surprised that there were only two camera angles. It was the second or third play from the red zone, not the first.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another one for the conspiracists, maybe there is video that overturns the ruling on the field in which was intentionally kept from Harbaugh and burned. :tinfoil3: I know, too far, but I'm still surprised that there were only two camera angles. It was the second or third play from the red zone, not the first.

Haha, indeed! I only saw one replay angle, were there two replay angles? Or are you referring to the live angle and the one replay angle?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, indeed! I only saw one replay angle, were there two replay angles? Or are you referring to the live angle and the one replay angle?

Referring to the live angles and replay angle. We should have gotten the sole 49er fan in the stadium to bring his iphone video down to Harbaugh. Or we should give Chilo that job, since he's losing his, though he'd probably start the replay too early for Harbaugh to see. He'd press the play button to the point in the video a few seconds before he ball was snapped and let someone ipast him to block the view of Crabtree's feet.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disappointed with the non challenge regardless because we were talking about a TD catch here, not some 5-yd out at midfield, so a challenge to what ultimately would have led to a TD versus a timeout taken in a game that we were starting to seize control in had it swung the other way.

I'm just glad the next play wasn't a tie for the longest pick 6. Not challenging it then would have been that much more upsetting.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, coaches usually see the replay when we do I think. And Fox didn't even show the replay until 3-4 plays later. And, even with that one crappy angle they did show... there wasn't enough evidence to show that he didn't step out of bounds. If that is the only shot they had, it wouldn't have been overturned.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, coaches usually see the replay when we do I think. And Fox didn't even show the replay until 3-4 plays later. And, even with that one crappy angle they did show... there wasn't enough evidence to show that he didn't step out of bounds. If that is the only shot they had, it wouldn't have been overturned.

100%!

FOX seemed to have limited replay coverage throughout the day, at times showing ISO's on the QB's but not the routes or the receivers. I wonder if this stemmed from the game being blacked-out in the local market.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was one of these threads that had an article stating that since the 49ers vs Bengals weren't a big time matchup, they sent fewer cameras to the game???

That could've cost us the game and I like that ref fine for a stupid call. If players can be fined, refs should too.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly what i was thinking, if the NFL wants to get every call right especially scoring plays. You would think they would be well prepared at every stadium with every camera angle possible. Its unexcusable IMO.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly what i was thinking, if the NFL wants to get every call right especially scoring plays. You would think they would be well prepared at every stadium with every camera angle possible. Its unexcusable IMO.

Yep! I could not agree more.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Indeed, there is no excuse for the half-assed mickey mouse system they put in place. The NFL is not very good at implementing rule changes.