• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL believes London is ready for team; 2022 a target

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think players and their families would want to live in the UK for 4 months (longer if team makes playoffs) each year.... so....

Probably the best way to do it would be to have the team base (with state of the art training facilities and team HQ/offices) located in a very nice area of New England or New York. Every year the London team would always play two consecutive games in London (approx. a 9-10 day stay in the UK), and then fly back home to their New England/New York base, and play two road games in the USA....etc....follow this pattern all season long....every year.

This system would mean that only four trips to London would be needed each regular season for the London franchise players & staff, for a total of 36 to 40 days spent in the UK each regular season. And again, the London franchise players, staff and their families could establish roots/residency in a very nice area of New England or New York.

The team base should be located in New England or New York in order to keep the flights to the UK as short in duration as possible. Flight time from Boston to London is approx. 6.5 hours......due to headwinds, the return trip is approx. 7.25 hours.

And....

This same type of system would also work for a Mexico City team. Most players and their families definitely would not want to live in Mexico City. So, the San Antonio or Austin, TX area could serve as the team base/HQ/place of residency/domicile.

Last edited:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
......continued.....from Hartford, CT to London, add approx. 45 minutes to those flight times.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But but but player safety.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the Pound angle, just haven't seen it discussed. Now keep in mind Taxes in London are much higher than in the US so that probably eats up the extra money if they get it.
I wonder how many draftees will be eager to be drafted by an international team?
I'd imagine quite a few probably wouldn't be happy.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather we see team in Canada, Mexico, or Germany before London, personally.
Canada either Vancouver or Montreal makes sense IF they really feel the need to expand. Personally, I think it's dumb. But I love watching Black Franny get her panties all rustled.

Hey if they move the Cowboys to Canada does Dez catch that ball?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, now how long is the Flight from Seattle to Miami.
Now imagine 3 flights from London to the west coast in one season.
IMO it's a logistical nightmare.
I do this all the time.

NY to London takes less than 6 hours. It's basically the same as NY to LA.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the Pound angle, just haven't seen it discussed. Now keep in mind Taxes in London are much higher than in the US so that probably eats up the extra money if they get it.
I wonder how many draftees will be eager to be drafted by an international team?
Just pay the players in dollars. Lots of Americans working for American companies in London get paid in dollars.

And tax isn't actually much higher. The top rate in the UK is 45% compared to 39.6% in the US, but there's no state/local taxes. And you can also give them tax equalization as part of the contract. Companies do this for expats all the time too.

This stuff would all be the London franchise's problem, not the players' problem.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A flight from Seattle to London takes the same amount of time as a flight from Chicago to London. The Seattle flight just flies a bit more north towards the north pole than the Chicago flight does making the distance the same. My daughter lives in the UK and has done both of those flights in 9 hours
I don't remember a flight from Chicago to London taking 9 hours.

More like six I think.

It's really not that bad.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue is actually that the UK won't give a work visa to anyone that's been convicted of a felony, so it might be hard to fill a roster.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

England won't be watching any Sunday games because they're on at night there and they've got better things to do before Monday than watching a sport that means nothing to them. Same holds true for the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl game which are Sunday evening games for them when they're making lunch for the kiddies and going to bed. Who the fuck is going to stay up to watch a Super Bowl starting at 12:30 AM Monday morning?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 7 and a half hours. I'm doing it next Wednesday.
I haven't done it in awhile.

Maybe Toronto was closer to six? Sometimes I flew out of there.

Either way, it's not that awful of a flight. Team London would most likely play groups of road games. Three week trips or something like that. And teams traveling to London would often involve a bye week on the back or front end.

I doubt travel time would stop the NFL from doing this.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie, I had hoped the Raiders would move to Mexico City.

Canada seems like a bad idea to me. Toronto is Bills territory and those hosers have their own league anyway.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do this all the time.

NY to London takes less than 6 hours. It's basically the same as NY to LA.

We fly someplace yearly from Las Vegas, our Europe trips with lay over take around 13 hours.
Granted NFL teams won't be dealing with Layovers and long boarding times, however a search of the Web says LA to NY takes about 5 1/2 hours while NY to London takes a little over 7 hours. LA to London about 10 1/2 hours. West coast teams have a hard time just crossing 3 time zones, now make them cross 8 zones.
I'm sticking with my thought that it's a horrible idea.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems inevitable that London will get a team, the support is progressive. Does not seem that far-fetched. The teams have time to plan and travel, it happens today between W and E coast teams. What will happen if W coast team needs to play in London? They need to iron that one out.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't done it in awhile.

Maybe Toronto was closer to six? Sometimes I flew out of there.

Either way, it's not that awful of a flight. Team London would most likely play groups of road games. Three week trips or something like that. And teams traveling to London would often involve a bye week on the back or front end.

I doubt travel time would stop the NFL from doing this.
It wouldn't work for basketball or baseball because they don't have enough rest days. It's easy for the NFL. They only play once a week and they're going to be flying on a team jet with beds.

This is also part of the strategic reason for the NFL to go to London. None of the other major American sports could do that, and they already have teams in Canada.