• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFCCG - Niners at Rams

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you are asking why our defense started so slowly and got dominated to the tune of 17 to nothing? I don't know why they played so badly. As for the offense, both teams get payed to play and the Rams defense has three hall of famers on it while the 49ers were missing their only Hall of Famer on offense with a busted up elbow.. As for another slow start on Sunday? I hope the defense doesn't do that again.
Honest question... do you discount the fact that the 9ers offense had three positions and ran a total of 14 plays with two punts and one interception at that point in the game? You only look at the defense and say that they didn't do their job when the score was 17-0?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is also the reason the team is 35-15 when he plays
So the backup QBs don't fit the system? Why would the FO and coaches have backup Qbs that didn't fit the offensive system? What a bunch of knuckleheads!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the backup QBs don't fit the system? Why would the FO and coaches have backup Qbs that didn't fit the offensive system? What a bunch of knuckleheads!
Apparently not if they are a collective 8-28 when they play

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question... do you discount the fact that the 9ers offense had three positions and ran a total of 14 plays with two punts and one interception at that point in the game? You only look at the defense and say that they didn't do their job when the score was 17-0?
No. I was just trying to show Deep Niner the fallacy of his argument. Why say Garoppolo started slow when the defense did the same thing but that gets conveniently ignored?
I know exactly what he meant but his tunnel vision blinds him

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently not if they are a collective 8-28 when they play
A FO wouldn't have Qbs that don't fit. That means fit isn't the difference. Jimmy has more talent than they do. THAT is the difference in their records, and, to a much lesser degree the horrific rash of injuries we suffered in the 2020 season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A FO wouldn't have Qbs that don't fit. That means fit isn't the difference. Jimmy has more talent than they do. THAT is the difference in their records, and, to a much lesser degree the horrific rash of injuries we suffered in the 2020 season.
That is what I have been saying all along. Garoppolo is the difference. He is more talented and is not a hindrance to winning but an asset. He does have a penchant for the big mistake but he also, judging by his record, has a penchant for overcoming those mistakes

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I desperately want Cincy to pull off the upset b/c I think we have hte best chance to beat them. They beat KC once already this season.

As for the Rams, I didn't say I was confident. I said winning wouldn't surprise me. Meaning, neither would losing. We gotta hope that the game goes more like week 10 (31-10) rather than week 18.

It's interesting that even in that week 10 runaway, we had less than 180yds passing, but what we DID have was 150yds on the ground, double the Rams' TOP, picked off Stafford twice, and Jimmy efficiently going 15 of 19 with 2 TDs and zero turnovers.
Yes, thats the game we need, another Week 10 game.

If we start slowly like Week 18, we won't come back.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And that is also the reason the team is 35-15 when he plays
But imagine how Trey Lance will fit this scheme? He will do most (not all) of the things JG does now - throw down the middle 8-10 yards, and hand-off.

IN ADDITION, Lance will open up sideline and vertical routes, not to mention runs ala Josh Allen.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The key, of course, is the 49ers’ running game. If the 49ers can control the game on the ground with Elijah Mitchell and Deebo Samuel, they should be all right.

The Rams will do all they can to prevent the 49ers from controlling the game with their diverse running attack. So that should open the door for some play-action possibilities down the field to Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk and George Kittle.

The last thing the 49ers want to do is get into third-and-long situations, in which the Rams can unleash Aaron Donald, Von Miller and Leonard Floyd to rush the passer.

Matt Maiocco

Yes, i think they'll sell out to stop the run cause it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Thus, JG needs to execute the play-action....must!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/155642-pressure-rams-not-49ers/

Good point!

What IF the 49ers jump out to 17-0...........................hehe

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But imagine how Trey Lance will fit this scheme? He will do most (not all) of the things JG does now - throw down the middle 8-10 yards, and hand-off.

IN ADDITION, Lance will open up sideline and vertical routes, not to mention runs ala Josh Allen.
I hope so

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I desperately want Cincy to pull off the upset b/c I think we have hte best chance to beat them. They beat KC once already this season.

As for the Rams, I didn't say I was confident. I said winning wouldn't surprise me. Meaning, neither would losing. We gotta hope that the game goes more like week 10 (31-10) rather than week 18.

It's interesting that even in that week 10 runaway, we had less than 180yds passing, but what we DID have was 150yds on the ground, double the Rams' TOP, picked off Stafford twice, and Jimmy efficiently going 15 of 19 with 2 TDs and zero turnovers.
79% completion percentage with over 12 yards per completion is pretty good and a huge pick six by Ward didn't hurt either. I'd love to see them jump out early. The concern for me is that team didn't have Miller yet and Beckham was just getting started. They must do a better job on Kupp though. I see another gut-wrenching game that will come down to a kick at the end

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key, of course, is the 49ers’ running game. If the 49ers can control the game on the ground with Elijah Mitchell and Deebo Samuel, they should be all right.

The Rams will do all they can to prevent the 49ers from controlling the game with their diverse running attack. So that should open the door for some play-action possibilities down the field to Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk and George Kittle.

The last thing the 49ers want to do is get into third-and-long situations, in which the Rams can unleash Aaron Donald, Von Miller and Leonard Floyd to rush the passer.

Matt Maiocco

Yes, i think they'll sell out to stop the run cause it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Thus, JG needs to execute the play-action....must!
If they sell out to stop the run I believe Shanahan will still beat his head against the wall trying to run and the 49ers will get way behind again. If theNiners come out throwing with play action and put. It on Garoppolo they will win

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they sell out to stop the run I believe Shanahan will still beat his head against the wall trying to run and the 49ers will get way behind again. If theNiners come out throwing with play action and put. It on Garoppolo they will win
It's one of the strangest things about Shanny's running scheme. Somehow the Niners running game is successful even if the defense has 8 or 9 guys in the box. It's like it almost works better that way--get 3yds beyond the LOS and there's 1 player between the RB and the endzone. Weird.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of the strangest things about Shanny's running scheme. Somehow the Niners running game is successful even if the defense has 8 or 9 guys in the box. It's like it almost works better that way--get 3yds beyond the LOS and there's 1 player between the RB and the endzone. Weird.
Could be. I’m not astute enough to always know why something works, usually just that it does or it doesn’t. I hope they surprise the Rams with some early passing
I just have a feeling that the Niners are going to win. They didn’t win these last three games in such crazy fashion just to lose to the Rams. Not scientific but it just seems destined

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see Shanahan beating his head against the wall, he can't just abandon the run entirely but he'll start to throw. This isn't saying he'll call 40 passes but when the Rams put even more emphasis to stop our run, no choice but throw. It won't be a lot of over the top throws but short to medium off play-action. How can you not utilize Kittle and Aiyuk more in this game off play-action? Sneak in a few throws to Juice too.

At this point in the play-offs the QB has to play well no matter what. Obviously, we all hope JG is efficient and 'mistake free'. He won't have big stats but be efficient in what he does.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Shanahan beating his head against the wall, he can't just abandon the run entirely but he'll start to throw. This isn't saying he'll call 40 passes but when the Rams put even more emphasis to stop our run, no choice but throw. It won't be a lot of over the top throws but short to medium off play-action. How can you not utilize Kittle and Aiyuk more in this game off play-action? Sneak in a few throws to Juice too.

At this point in the play-offs the QB has to play well no matter what. Obviously, we all hope JG is efficient and 'mistake free'. He won't have big stats but be efficient in what he does.
Seems that he has the past few games. I don't see anything of the breakaway runs by Mitchell anymore. He might get some 8-12 yarders but earlier they were getting touchdowns on those runs to the outside. Perhaps he might try to change things up a bit, maybe try passing to set up the run ala Bill Walsh. I understand you have to keep running the ball even if its not working just to make them defend it and if the run game does work it is demoralizing to the opposition.
They have some dynamic receivers and its mystifying why they are not used more but I will say that one thing Kittle, Aiyuk and Samuel have in common is they will drop some balls. They need to clean that up. Even though Jennings is much improved he has a penchant for the dropped pass as well. Perhaps that scares Shanahan.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems that he has the past few games. I don't see anything of the breakaway runs by Mitchell anymore. He might get some 8-12 yarders but earlier they were getting touchdowns on those runs to the outside. Perhaps he might try to change things up a bit, maybe try passing to set up the run ala Bill Walsh. I understand you have to keep running the ball even if its not working just to make them defend it and if the run game does work it is demoralizing to the opposition.
They have some dynamic receivers and its mystifying why they are not used more but I will say that one thing Kittle, Aiyuk and Samuel have in common is they will drop some balls. They need to clean that up. Even though Jennings is much improved he has a penchant for the dropped pass as well. Perhaps that scares Shanahan.
The Rams D-line isn't weak per se, but the middle seems 'weaker' than outside? They don't have that talented Kenny Clark or Chris Harper type inside. Not counting Aaron Donald because he's not a run stopper type linemen. So you wouldn't blame Shanahan for keeping those inside runs too like earlier this season. Plus, as Dallas and Green Bay both did, they shaded their DE's and LB a little outside, so the Rams can stop outside runs too.

Even if Mitchell averages 5 yards per carry, thats effective.

Seems like Kittle is so good at blocking, he isn't asked to run as much routes?

Anyway, everyone needs to play well and limit mistakes, in order to win. Make too many mistakes and you lose, thats how this game works.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, everyone needs to play well and limit mistakes, in order to win. Make too many mistakes and you lose, thats how this game works.
That was the big key for the 31-10 win over the Rams this season--we had no turnovers. Sure, we had 2 Ward INTs, 1 was a pick 6. six, but we'd have won that game without them.

We're gonna be able to run the ball against them b/c we've been able to for years now. When the run keeps working, that opens up the playaction passing game where Jimmy excels. So, if we have zero turnovers, I'm rather confident that we beat the Rams and go to the SB. However, if Bad Jimmy shows up, this will be another close one.

Right now, it looks like we're the team that keeps finding a way to win the close ones. We're due for a real, solid win.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the Cowboys doing it to the NYG a couple of times, but it isn't done often.
I have the feeling that's because the opportunity isn't there often. First you have to have divisional foes who don't split the series, both make the playoffs, and then face each other.

Apparently when that happens, the teams that won the first two games are 14-9.

But I also suspect the team that won the first two games is almost always at home. Hard to get home field in the playoffs when you dropped two games to a team behind you in the division.

I think the Jaguars were 14-2 and lost at home to the 13-3 Titans in 2000. Both Jags' losses were to the Titans.