• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seattle's QB derby
9:46AM ET
Seattle Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks' three-way QB competition will survive into training camp, as none of the options has been declared the outright champion of the process (and the starter for 2012) as yet. With the team having some time off between the offseason program and training camp, Dave Boling of Tarvaris Jackson, FA signee Matt Flynn and third-round draft pick Russell Wilson.

In Boling's view, Jackson throws a great ball, but has questionable decision-making; this resulted in some mistakes near the end of halves and games during the 2011 season. Flynn's throws aren't as impressive as Jackson's, but he makes up for that deficiency with accuracy and timing. As the caretaker of a balanced offense -- with Marshawn Lynch and friends helping out on the ground -- Flynn could be the safe choice. As for Wilson, the Wisconsin product has shown the ability to make NFL-caliber throws as well as buy himself some time with his feet; then again, without the threat of actual harm coming his way, it's hard to determine whether that ability to carry over when the action is live.

The Seahawks will need to see each of the three working within the Seahawks' offense against live action in order to make an educated decision here. But now we have a better idea of the attributes and improvement for which Pete Carroll and Co. are looking in regards to each of the three.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cards' WR, RB and QB battles
3:09PM ET
Arizona Cardinals

Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com took a stab at projecting the Week 1 starting roster for the Arizona Cardinals on Tuesday. Technically, it's not even summer until tomorrow, but there's nothing wrong with a little informed speculation on how things might shake out over the next couple of months.

Urban sees Andre Roberts -- not rookie Michael Floyd -- as the No. 2 WR behind Larry Fitzgerald.

"I think Michael Floyd will play an important role for this team, and Early Doucet will play," he said. "But if you don't know by now the level of confidence the coaching staff has in Roberts with his play after last season, you haven't been paying attention."

While he expects Beanie Wells to start at running back, assuming he's healthy by Week 1, Urban also expects Ryan Williams "to play a major role" in 2012. Surgery to repair a torn patella tendon cost the Virginia Tech product his rookie season, but he's on pace to be ready for the start of the 2012 season.

And how about the big question as to who will be under center?

"The $64,000 question, isn't it. Right now, I'm going with Kevin Kolb," Urban answered. "As I have said many times, I totally can see a scenario where John Skelton starts. Anything now is a pure guess, because it's going to come down to preseason games. But Kolb is my thought for now."

ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando noted Monday that Skelton's late-game success last season was countered by early-game failures, something he'll have to correct if he wants to take over the reins as the starter:

- Tom Carpenter​

Mike Sando
QBs in the clutch: Skelton and the West

"Skelton's reputation for playing well late in games stems in part from how poorly he often played early in games. The disparity was often striking. He had four touchdowns and 10 interceptions on his first 20 pass attempts in games. That flipped to seven touchdowns with four interceptions on passes thrown later in games. Skelton deserves credit for helping the team pull out victories to recover from a 1-6 start to the season. He also needs to improve his performance early in games to become a viable long-term starter."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a bit non-sequitor, but I hear people talking about Bradford's ankle injury as if it were the same as Alex's torn throwing shoulder. Both are tough QBs, I'll give him that. I understand that mobility, balance, and pain management are important things, but I see a lot of slack given to Bradford that wasn't given to Smith in 2007, when I think Bradford should have a lot of questions on him like Alex did (maybe less). But then again, I was focused here and am not focused on Bradford. Is it because of a 76.5 QBR rookie year or is there something I'm missing? People write off the 2-14 year, but he QB'd 10 of those games. Tough guy, but were they worse off like we were worse off by him playing versus the backup? The ankle is a BIG deal, was it too big or too little of a deal, though? This was worse than Favre's ankle, right?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC West: More or Less
June, 20, 2012 12:00PM ET
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

After running the numbers, ESPN.com pro football writer John Clayton arrived at a win total for every team in the division for 2012. Is the figure too high, too low or spot on?

CLAYTON'S FORECAST
10-6
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: The 49ers return just about all the key players from a squad that went 13-3 and reached the NFC Championship Game last season. They appear stronger on paper after adding to their offensive weaponry through the draft and free agency. Having a full offseason should let the 49ers more fully implement and grasp schemes that were new to the team when the lockout ended a year ago.

While all signs point to another strong season for the 49ers, it's tough to win 13 games once, let alone again. Sixty-one teams went 13-3 or better from 1978 through 2010. Five won as many games the next season. Zero won more games.

San Francisco was unusually healthy on defense last season. Quarterback Alex Smith started every game despite taking 44 sacks in the regular season and seven more in the playoffs. A plus-28 turnover differential will be difficult to duplicate. And the NFC West appears to be getting more competitive.

More or less? Clayton's projection seems reasonable. Ten or 11 victories feels about right. That would give the 49ers back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since 2001-02.

CLAYTON'S FORECAST
9-7
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: After ranking 23rd in points scored and seventh in points allowed last season, Seattle surprisingly used eight 2012 draft choices for defense. No team used more picks for defensive players this year. Seattle has added most of its key skill players through free agency (Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, Kellen Winslow, Matt Flynn) and trades (Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington) over the past couple of seasons.

The Seahawks were a quarterback upgrade away from reaching, and probably surpassing, .500 last season. They upgraded their depth at the position without question. Their as-yet-unnamed starter will probably fare better than incumbent Tarvaris Jackson, who played much of the 2011 season with a torn right pectoral muscle. The team has reason for optimism as a result, but there are still question marks surrounding the position.

The running game should remain strong with Tom Cable coaching the line and Lynch pounding away. Seattle will not ask its quarterback to carry the team. A strong defense will keep the Seahawks competitive. Taking that next step will require better play at quarterback, most likely from Flynn.

More or less? Clayton's expectations match my own. Seattle has been stuck at 7-9 for the past two seasons. The 2011 team did improve, however. I'd expect to see that reflected in the record.

CLAYTON'S FORECAST
7-9
ARIZONA CARDINALS: Nothing has come easy for the Cardinals since quarterback Kurt Warner retired after the 2009 season. The starting job remains open until Kevin Kolb or John Skelton wins it. That race is critical for the team, but an improved defense figures to keep the Cardinals competitive.

All but one key defender, Richard Marshall, return after Arizona's defense allowed 12 touchdowns over its final nine games last season. The team needs increased contributions from young outside linebackers Sam Acho and O'Brien Schofield to ensure continued improvement on that side of the ball.

Like Seattle, Arizona is banking on improved quarterback play. Kolb is in better position to succeed now that he knows the offense, but he has to win the job first. Skelton played well enough in fourth quarters and overtime to earn the team's trust. Kolb has ground to make up.

Arizona won seven of its final nine games last season after a 1-6 start. The Cardinals' eight victories came by 4.25 points on average. No team since at least 1970 has won as many games in a season by so few points on average, another reminder that nothing has come easy for this team lately.

More or less? Kolb's disappointing first season in Arizona gives skeptics an easy reason to discount the Cardinals. There is a risk in discounting them too much, though. I'll project more than seven victories for Arizona.

CLAYTON'S FORECAST
4-12
ST. LOUIS RAMS: Coach Jeff Fisher faces the biggest rebuilding project of his career. While his Houston Oilers improved from 2-14 to 7-9 in Fisher's first full season as head coach (1995), that organization had posted seven consecutive winning seasons before its big fall. The Rams are 15-65 over the past five seasons. They haven't finished .500 or better since 2004.

The last time the Rams went 2-14, in 2008, they followed it up with a 1-15 record. The other three teams to finish 2-14 from 2008-10 improved their records. One went 4-12 the next year. Two went 6-10.

St. Louis should benefit from improved health. The team finished last season with 16 players on injured reserve, including six cornerbacks, three offensive linemen and three wide receivers. The Rams lacked sufficient depth to weather that many injuries, especially with quarterback Sam Bradford missing games or playing hurt.

Bradford, Jason Smith and Robert Quinn are three pivotal players for the Rams this season. All three are young and highly drafted. Bradford is more important than the others, but the team needs more from all of them.

More or less? The projections I made last month set the Rams' over-under at 5.5 victories, behind those for San Francisco (10), Seattle (8.5) and Arizona (7.5). I'll say Clayton's figure is on the low side, but I won't say it very loudly.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ginn could be the odd man out in SF
9:51AM ET
Ted Ginn | 49ers

The 49ers were searching for warm bodies to fill their wide receiver corps last season. San Francisco may now have an embarrassment of riches at the position.

The reemergence of Randy Moss, the reliability of Michael Crabtree and the determination of Kyle Williams started a solid foundation at wide receiver during 49ers' minicamp. San Francisco also added first round receiver A.J. Jenkins, who the team expects will improve throughout the season.

The odd man out may be Ted Ginn Jr.

"If there is a surprise cut here, it could be Ginn," Kevin Lynch of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote. "If he's unable to get healthy, the team might have a replacement at returner in cornerback Perrish Cox. Also (San Francisco head coach Jim) Harbaugh even mentioned Williams as a possible returner. This will be a compelling area to watch once training camp dawns."

- Brent Sobleski​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Favorites to start at QB for Sea. & Ariz.
8:22AM ET
NFC West

A pair of NFC West squads enter another season with quarterback controversies.

Arizona has to decide between last year's starters, Kevin Kolb and John Skelton. While Seattle added even more competition around Tarvaris Jackson by signing Matt Flynn and drafting Russell Wilson.

There hasn't been a firm indication who will start between Kolb and Skelton, but Seattle recently named Jackson its top quarterback heading into training camp. Expect that to change.

"Kolb and Flynn will win #1 job in the end, which is all that matters," Adam Caplan of FoxSports.com tweeted.

The one wildcard -- at least for Seattle -- is Russell Wilson, the team's third round selection. Doug Farrar of Yahoo! Sports reported Wilson continued to look better in minicamp more often than both Flynn and Jackson. With that said, Flynn will still get the opportunity to play sooner rather than later due to the money invested in the signal caller.

- Brent Sobleski​

Mike Sando
Seattle QB competition under review

"...it's unusual to divide reps three ways. That isn't sustainable. At some point, the Seahawks will have to decide whether they're comfortable enough with Flynn and rookie Russell Wilson to consider moving past 2011 starter Tarvaris Jackson or adjusting his $4 million salary. "

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Irvin's expectations
8:59AM ET
Bruce Irvin | Seahawks

Seattle's selection of defensive end Bruce Irvin 15th overall was by far the most ridiculed choice during April's NFL Draft. But, Irvin was a pass rusher extraordinaire during his time with West Virginia's football program. In his two seasons as a Mountaineer, Irvin registered 22.5 sacks. He expects to make a similar impact in Seattle as a rookie.

"I feel like I may jinx it, but...double-digits. All day," Irvin told Michael Robinson of the Real Rob Report (and fellow Seahawk).

Irvin may be expected to do more than just rush the passer until veteran end Chris Clemons returns after taking a stand regarding negotiations with his current contract. Upon Clemons' return, Irvin will likely be used in certain packages to get to the quarterback.

If Irvin contributes half of what Aldon Smith of the 49ers did last year while being used in the same capacity, then the pick won't be ridiculed anymore. If Irvin lives up to his expectations, then the Seahawks made a great choice and also have their replacement for Clemons.

- Brent Sobleski​

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I tend to agree re: Ginn, as I've said before. He's a very good - maybe even great - return man. But we've got a lot of talent on this team now, and I'd hate to cut a young and promising player to keep a guy who really only contributes on STs. That said, while I think we could get close tot he production in terms of yardage, the ball security issue is huge.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Alex Smith 16th in Jaworski's QB ranking

In lauding Smith on Monday, Jaworski on ESPN's SportsCenter noted his care of the ball. "Two statistics speak to Smith's play in 2011," Jaworski said. "He threw the fewest passes of any 16-game starter, and he had the lowest interception percentage in the National Football League. Smith was managed brilliantly by first-year head coach Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh perfectly understood his quarterback's strengths and limitations."

Jaworski also noted that the majority of the 49ers' big pass plays last season came on first down when San Francisco was in its base personnel package. The 49ers, of course, usually run out of the package, which prompts defenses to move one of their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage. With one safety deep, it was easier - and safer - to take shots downfield.

But that conservative approach isn't necessarily Harbaugh playing to Smith's "strengths and limitations," as Jaworski suggested. Harbaugh did virtually the same thing at Stanford with Andrew Luck, whom the NFL deemed the top quarterback in the draft this year. That is, the approach is more Harbaugh-related than it is Smith-related.

Only one team - the Tim Tebow-led Broncos - threw the ball less than San Francisco in 2011. Only two teams - the Broncos and Texans - ran the ball more. That run-pass ratio may change slightly in 2012 with the addition of high-profile wideouts Randy Moss, Mario Manningham and A.J. Jenkins. But with Harbaugh, a lover of power-based offenses at the helm, it's very unlikely to change dramatically.

Back to Jaworski's list. He has yet to reveal slots 1-14, but they likely will be filled by Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers -- not necessarily in that order.

I tend to agree with where Smith is ranked. But it's worth noting that whenever the 49ers needed Smith to be great in 2011, he stepped up. He engineered come-from-behind wins in Philadelphia and in Detroit and against the Saints in the playoffs. He also out-dueled five of the quarterbacks ranked ahead of him - Vick, Stafford, Eli Manning (in the regular season), Roethlisberger and Brees. He'll face Rodgers, Cutler and Brady this season.

I bolded because it was interesting, not to diminish Luck or lower predictions for him nor raise Smith higher than he should be.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith's Pro Bowl-worthiness

When KC Joyner explained why he thought Cam Newton's rookie season was overrated, I asked him whether he would have found Smith more deserving as an alternate choice for the game.

"He would have been my choice for the Pro bowl over Cam Newton," Joyner replied.

His reasoning: Smith ranked an impressive 11th in yards per attempt on vertical throws, despite operating with a weak receiving corps. Joyner also charted very few bad decisions for Smith, a percentage on par with what we might expect from Tom Brady.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When KC Joyner explained why he thought Cam Newton's rookie season was overrated, I asked him whether he would have found Smith more deserving as an alternate choice for the game.

"He would have been my choice for the Pro bowl over Cam Newton," Joyner replied.

His reasoning: Smith ranked an impressive 11th in yards per attempt on vertical throws, despite operating with a weak receiving corps. Joyner also charted very few bad decisions for Smith, a percentage on par with what we might expect from Tom Brady.

It is interesting to see the argument for diminished returns landing at the feet of the receivers and not Alex. I am getting the sense the media is going to try and get a full season of mileage out of this Smith vs. Newton story.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting to see the argument for diminished returns landing at the feet of the receivers and not Alex. I am getting the sense the media is going to try and get a full season of mileage out of this Smith vs. Newton story.

Why can't it be just Alex Smith vs. Carolina Panthers defense. I mean, that was who he was dissing. Besides, years from now they'll be playing each other, but QBs don't play other QBs.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Our 2011 Receiver corps was better than the 2011 Panthers' receiving corps. That's not even debatable IMO. However, I do think that Alex can make the probowl in 2012 without raising any eyebrows (indicator as if he didn't deserve the honor) about the issue.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't it be just be Alex Smith vs. Carolina Panthers defense. I mean, that was who he was dissing. Besides, years from now they'll be playing each other, but QBs don't play other QBs.

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being serious or sarcastic?

No, I'm not being serious. It was a sarcastic rhetorical question. Smith's comments were more of a dig on the defense, saying despite Cam's heroics they still allowed too many points to win. If our defense were bad, Smith would have more yards but likely fewer wins. But I would just as tired of them bringing that story up even if they dig make a big deal of Alex vs. Carolina's defense.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm not being serious. It was a sarcastic rhetorical question. Smith's comments were more of a dig on the defense, saying despite Cam's heroics they still allowed too many points to win. If our defense were bad, Smith would have more yards but likely fewer wins. But I would just as tired of them bringing that story up even if they dig make a big deal of Alex vs. Carolina's defense.

Ahhh, that is not at all what Alex said, but no bigge...I said this when I posted the commentary from a 49er sports writer who said this story was going to have a long shelf life.

Thus far it appears he may be correct. At first I wasn't thrilled with the idea but now I am curious to see how both QB's will respond if in fact the story does spill over into the regular season.

I see Alex as a nasty competitor (granted not the most talented one) but a nasty, back down from no one type competitor. So who knows, maybe Smith issued that statement about Newton to create some adrenaline of his own.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, that is not at all what Alex said, but no bigge...I said this when I posted the commentary from a 49er sports writer who said this story was going to have a long shelf life.

Thus far it appears he may be correct. At first I wasn't thrilled with the idea but now I am curious to see how both QB's will respond if in fact the story does spill over into the regular season.

I see Alex as a nasty competitor (granted not the most talented one) but a nasty, back down from no one type competitor. So who knows, maybe Smith issued that statement about Newton to create some adrenaline of his own.

I didn't say he said that, I said that they were more of a dig against/insulting to the Carolina defense. How is saying that having 300 yard games when you're playing catch up a worse thing for the QB than the defense? It's not like Alex was saying that Cam choked.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say he said that, I said that they were more of a dig against/insulting to the Carolina defense. How is saying that having 300 yard games when you're playing catch up a worse thing for the QB than the defense? It's not like Alex was saying that Cam choked.

Ahhh, okay so you meant Smith was "implying" not "saying" - got it. I think correct interpretation of Smith's comments depend on how well you understood the context of the entire exchange. I would say most, nearly all interpreted his remarks correctly, and for those who did not and still do not, the argument is not worth the bandwidth.