• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kiper's 'Grade A' draft: NFC
Mel plays GM of every NFC team in picking Rounds 1-3 of the draft
Originally Published: April 18, 2012
By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

Who are the best picks in Rounds 1-3 of the 2012 NFL draft for every team, according to Mel Kiper?

When I do mock drafts, I'm not simply giving my opinion on where players will go. In fact, I disagree with some of the picks I'm putting down. But the mocks are based on a combination of where players are being valued across the league, how I feel those players are valued by individual teams, what the top needs for each team are, whether they value need over the best player available and so on. It's not an editorial. For this, I was asked, "What would you do if you were picking?" So I gave it a shot. I've listed what I see as the top needs for each team, and I've made the picks that fill needs based on where I have players ranked. A few ground rules:

1. At each spot, I'm making the best pick for that team at that spot. I won't pass on an ideal pick for the Bills at No. 10 just because that player would be a great fit at No. 11.
2. There are no duplicates.
3. I will suggest good spots to trade down, but I won't rearrange the board.
4. This is for fun! One pick can derail a whole draft, so in no way do I think this is how it might look.

With that in mind, let's go through it. I'll discuss motives for each team in the analysis.

NFC East​

Dallas Cowboys

Top needs: G/C, CB, OLB, SS, DE, TE

Rd. 1 (14) S Mark Barron, Alabama
Rd. 2 (45) OLB Andre Branch, Clemson
Rd. 3 (81) CB Justin Bethel, Presbyterian

Analysis: The Cowboys need to shore up their coverage and get a lot of help here in the secondary and with an added piece in the pass rush. Barron makes too much sense. He has a good chance to be there at No. 14, and in this simulation he was. He provides an immediate upgrade. Branch is a guy scouts disagree on, but only on whether he's got the talent of a late-first-round grade. Midway through Round 2, Dallas can't go wrong, and he'll provide depth on the edge. You can't have too many pass-rushers. Bethel could be one of the sleepers of the draft. A star at Presbyterian, he has plenty of physical talent, and Dallas isn't out of the woods in the secondary because of the addition of Brandon Carr.

New York Giants

Top needs: RB, OL, TE, LB, CB, WR

Rd. 1 (32) TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
Rd. 2 (63) RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech
Rd. 3 (94) OT Donald Stephenson, Oklahoma

Analysis: I've liked Fleener to the Giants for a while. I think he just provides something that passing game doesn't have. Remember, Fleener won't just line up off tackle; you can split him out and use his size and speed to work matchups with smaller corners or slower linebackers. Teams will spend a lot of time looking at how to slow the momentum the Giants should carry over with their passing attack, and Fleener adds something new to account for. Wilson provides power and explosiveness in the run game, and Stephenson is the requisite pick this team needs to make to keep some semblance of depth on the offensive line.

Philadelphia Eagles

Top needs: OLB, SS, OT, DT, TE/FB, QB

Rd. 1 (15) DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
Rd. 2 (46) LB Zach Brown, North Carolina
Rd. 2 (51) TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson
Rd. 3 (88) QB Kirk Cousins, Michigan State

Analysis: He's not quite as high on my board as he is on Todd McShay's, but Cox is the real deal. The Eagles can get to quarterbacks, but they were awful up the middle last year. Cox can be a big part of the solution. So will Brown, who provides the linebacker they need with proper value in Round 2. Suddenly, if I'm Philly, I'm feeling a lot better about the interior of my defense, with Cox, Brown and the addition of DeMeco Ryans. Allen is the second-best tight end in the draft and a great value here. The Eagles have hinted that they could look for a quarterback to develop, and Cousins makes a lot of sense. He has the chance to be a good starter in this league if he gets some seasoning. He's coachable and has underrated physical talent; I love the value late in the third. I did consider tackle options, but the addition of Demetress Bell obviously shifts that need down a notch.

Washington Redskins

Top needs: QB, S, RT, ILB, CB, G/C

Rd. 1 (2) QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
Rd. 3 (69) OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State

Analysis: Enjoy this first-round pick, Redskins fans, because it'll be the last one for a while. RG3 has shown he's no reach, however, and given the additions to the wide-receiving corps, he has a pretty good shot to get off to a good start as a rookie. That said, Washington surely can't buy into the idea that one adequate offensive lineman (Trent Williams) will be enough just because RG3 can run. This is a kid who wants to pass, show off his patience, see deep routes develop and show off that arm. Bringing in Sanders to start out on the right side will help buy a little more time. Sanders isn't incredible value at No. 69, but he's right about there, and need supersedes the value here if I'm making the pick.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC North

Chicago Bears

Top needs: OL, DE, CB, WR, DT, S

Rd. 1 (19) DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
Rd. 2 (50) WR Brian Quick, Appalachian State
Rd. 3 (79) DT Devon Still, Penn State

Analysis: The Bears really need to shore up the offensive line, but they've expressed a lot of optimism -- particularly offensive coordinator Mike Tice -- and I can see them waiting around to add help. So I'll play along. Clearly, they've talked me into it, as I'm also looking elsewhere, targeting the pass rush in Round 1. Mercilus is a one-year wonder in terms of production, but the tape shows a guy who figured it out, and if he can play at the level he did in 2011 (I have no reason to believe it'll disappear), he fits the system in Chicago and can close on quarterbacks when he gets the edge. Quick is another huge target (6-foot-4, 220) for Jay Cutler, and while I think Chicago needs to go O-line here, the way the board lines up for this Quick is a steal, and a couple of O-line options I can see here look like reaches. I'm not married to this pick, but it wouldn't be a bad one for need and value. Still is a steal this late, and I might have left him on the board too long. The Bears do want help at defensive tackle, and Rod Marinelli can do a lot with Still.

Detroit Lions

Top needs: CB, RB, OL, LB, S

Rd. 1 (23) LB Lavonte David, Nebraska
Rd. 2 (54) CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana
Rd. 3 (85) S George Iloka, Boise State

Analysis: Remember, this is my draft. And in my draft, David is unquestionably a first-round pick. He played undersized, but I can see him piling up tackles as a weakside 'backer. He plays sideline to sideline and has the explosiveness to cause problems in blitzing situations. He also can dip and run with running backs flared out, or tight ends. The Lions like what they have up front; it's now time to find some playmakers in the secondary. Johnson is a bigger corner who will make plays and is a solid value in Round 2. Iloka, a safety out of Boise State, is a little overrated for me when you talk about a second-round grade, but I love the value in the third. Offensive line is also a huge need, but this is the way the value lined up for me, and I consider this trio to hit three needs.

Green Bay Packers

Top needs: OLB, FS, DE, RB, CB, C, QB

Rd. 1 (28) OLB Shea McClellin, Boise State
Rd. 2 (59) DE Jared Crick, Nebraska
Rd. 3 (90) S Antonio Allen, South Carolina

Analysis: I originally had Upshaw of Bama here, but I like the McClellin fit better and have moved Upshaw to New England because Green Bay picks first. McClellin might be a little big to drop and play in space like a traditional 3-4 outside linebacker, but if Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers allows him to make getting to the quarterback his primary goal, he has a chance to help early and develop in other areas. He's a really smart player and will pick things up quickly, and provides help for a pass rush that is desperate. Crick might be a bit of a reach on some boards, but if he's fully healthy (he will be after tearing a pectoral muscle during the season), I like his fit here. Green Bay's pass rush was as bad as any other team's in the NFL for much of last season, and Crick and Upshaw are solid additions to the front seven. Allen is a good developmental safety prospect.

Minnesota Vikings

Top needs: CB, LT, WR, S, G, LB

Rd. 1 (3) OT Matt Kalil, USC (attempt to move down)
Rd. 2 (35) S Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
Rd. 3 (66) WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa

Analysis: Corner is a big need for me if I'm Minnesota, which is why I can see the Vikings being very tempted to select Morris Claiborne, but left tackle is equally important. If they don't protect Christian Ponder, they really won't be able to effectively audit his progress. I put trading down as an option because I do it if it's clear a team will give up a ton of value to get into that No. 3 slot, so the Vikings should be entertaining offers all the way. But if that can't happen, they should be plenty happy to add Kalil, a rare tackle ready to start right away on the left side. The pick of Smith in Round 2 shores up a significant need at safety, and McNutt in Round 3 fills a void at wide receiver. He gives Minnesota a bigger target and different dimension to pair with the smaller Percy Harvin.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC South

Atlanta Falcons

Top needs: DE, OL, OLB, CB, TE

Rd. 2 (55) OT/G Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State
Rd. 3 (84) DE Olivier Vernon, Miami

Analysis: Atlanta fans might not be familiar with the names, but both guys should be able to find their way into the rotation because they play need positions. Osemele played left tackle at Iowa State, but he's a guy I'm looking to move inside to become a mauler in the run game. He has the size (333 pounds) to engulf smaller defenders, and you'll see that because he can get to the edge and flatten linebackers. He's a nice addition up front. Vernon is a 4-3 defensive end prospect who shows a good first step and can develop as a pass-rusher but also holds up pretty well against the run. Both guys are needs picks, but there isn't a value sacrifice.

Carolina Panthers

Top needs: DT, CB, DE, WR, OLB, OL

Rd. 1 (9) LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
Rd. 2 (40) DE Nick Perry, USC

Analysis: This is probably the first big surprise on the board. I don't have linebacker as a top-three need for the Panthers, but there are two things about this pick I like:

1. Kuechly is at No. 9 on my Big Board, which is extremely high for a guy who has played interior linebacker. He has incredible instincts, will help shut down the run and covers really well.
2. The Panthers have been decimated by injuries to their linebackers in recent years, and Kuechly can play right away and provide a lot of insurance. The Panthers need help up front, but you can build around Kuechly.

Perry is just major value in Round 2. It honestly wouldn't shock me if some team took him in the mid-first round, so getting a pass-rusher like him here is a huge get.

New Orleans Saints

Top needs: DE, CB, DT, OLB, WR

Rd. 3 (89) DT Akiem Hicks Regina (Canada)

Analysis: A lot of people won't know about Hicks, given that he played up in Regina (Saskatchewan), but he was recruited to LSU to be a difference-maker and could be a steal as an impact defensive tackle this late. He needs some technique work, as you'd expect, but he has pretty quick feet for a guy tipping the scales around 320 pounds. The Saints don't have a pick in the first round because of the deal that netted them Mark Ingram in last year's draft, and their second-round pick this year had to be forfeited.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Top needs: CB, RB, LB, SS, TE

Rd. 1 (5) CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
Rd. 2 (36) RB Doug Martin, Boise State
Rd. 3 (68) LB Demario Davis, Arkansas State

Analysis: I know the pick of Claiborne won't be a surprise to anyone, but it's just a really safe pick. Claiborne doesn't blind you with speed, but everything else is there to make him a Pro Bowl-caliber corner for a long time. I have running back as a big need for this team, and Martin makes a lot of sense to me early in Round 2. I actually have LaMichael James rated higher on my Board, but Martin is a really complete back and could become the lead horse if LeGarrette Blount is around for only one more year. It's also clear the team is looking for a complement to Blount in the meantime, and coach Greg Schiano hasn't been shy about Blount's fumbling issues. Linebacker is a need spot, and Davis is right about there in terms of where I have him graded.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC West​

Arizona Cardinals

Top needs: OT, WR, OLB, DE, S

Rd. 1 (13) OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
Rd. 3 (80) DE Tyrone Crawford, Boise State

Analysis: It's not a secret that Arizona needs to do something at tackle, and Reiff becomes a very good value if he falls to No. 13. I can see up to three teams taking him before this spot, but when I'm playing GM, this is where he lands. He could start immediately on the right side with the move to left as he develops. The Cardinals are out of the mix in Round 2, but I have them taking an intriguing pass-rusher in Round 3. Crawford will play between 275 and 285 pounds, and he has a lot of strength to stand up versus the run but a really athletic streak as well. What you like about him is the versatility, again becoming a bigger need as teams show more and more looks.

San Francisco 49ers

Top needs: RG, WR, S, CB, RB, OLB

Rd. 1 (30) G Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
Rd. 2 (61) WR Rueben Randle, LSU
Rd. 3 (92) DT Mike Martin, Michigan

Analysis: Well, I know 49ers fans won't jump up and down about the guard pick, but let's be clear about San Francisco. Regardless of who it adds in the passing game, it's clear to all that Alex Smith isn't going to become Aaron Rodgers, and if this team wants to be successful on offense, it simply has to be able to run the ball, and with power. In many years, Zeitler would be the top guard taken. He will come in capable of starting. I'm also really tempted by WR Stephen Hill in this spot. But instead of that, I get a nice value in the passing game with Randle, a guy with good size capable of stretching the field, late in Round 2. If Randy Moss provides something in 2012, Randle could develop late as a threat and then become a starter in 2013. Martin is insurance for the 49ers because Justin Smith played at such an incredible level in 2011 that the thought of him being injured should scare San Francisco. If Martin plays with Smith's motor, he could develop into a good 3-technique in that scheme.

Seattle Seahawks

Top needs: DE, LB, WR, RB

Rd. 1(12) DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
Rd. 2 (43) LB Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
Rd. 3 (75) WR Keshawn Martin, Michigan State

Analysis: Coples has dropped a bit in the past month, as I sense that a lot of personnel folks aren't of the belief that he has a really high ceiling. But at No. 12, you're still talking about getting the guy who most saw as the most complete 4-3 defensive end prospect in this draft class for the better part of two years. Coples can play. Lewis is a pretty dynamic physical talent who struggled a bit when Oklahoma asked him to play linebacker. However, coach Pete Carroll can work magic with these types. As a "Leo" LB, he can use his good size and athleticism in the same way Carroll has used Chris Clemons. Lewis can be a pass-rusher for the Seahawks. This defense is turning into something with these pieces. Martin is a quick receiver who could work all over. He's not a deep threat, but he turns tight spaces and press coverage into wide-open passing lanes because he's really proficient at creating space with quickness and smarts. Keep an eye on him.

St. Louis Rams

Top needs: WR, OL, CB, OLB, DT, RB

Rd. 1 (6) WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Rd. 2 (33) OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
Rd. 2 (39) DT Kendall Reyes, Connecticut
Rd. 3 (65) RB Lamar Miller, Miami

Analysis: I know St. Louis has been listening on this pick and could move down, but if the price isn't right, the pick of Blackmon would be. He might not have the upside of a superstar, but he has the floor of a very good player. He's proficient at doing anything a receiver must: He'll get open, create space, fight for and work back to the ball and work underneath as well as over the top. Adams isn't a mauler, but he can really move his feet and could help at right tackle early with the upside of a pretty good left tackle, which is nothing to scoff at. Reyes is a steal at No. 39 if he's around and should fit well inside on this improving defensive line. Miller can be explosive and will take the load off the great Steven Jackson. Some help on both sides of the ball here, with a focus on getting a dreadful offense back on track.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why the Seahawks took Irvin
7:50AM ET
Seattle Seahawks

UPDATE: Mel Kiper, Jr. has already done a bit of grading of the value of the prospects picked in Round 1 -- repeat: it's not necessarily how they'll do, but rather, the value of the pick -- and he wonders about the Seahawks taking Irvin at No. 15 (see below).

---

Even after multiple picks were traded in the Top 10, the draft's first real shock happened with the 15th overall pick when the Seattle Seahawks elected to take Bruce Irvin, the OLB/DE from West Virginia. That they took a pass-rusher was not a surprise, but that they took this particular one certainly was.

According to ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando, Irvin will take on the "Leo" role in the Seahawks' D -- occupied in 2011 by Chris Clemons. Here's some extended thoughts from the scribe:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
He'll fit well in this role

"One thing to know about the Seahawks: They draft players with specific roles in mind. The coaching staff has done a good job turning Red Bryant into a valued starter by converting him to a role Bryant had never played previously. For the Irvin pick to make sense, Seattle presumably sees him as a situational pass-rusher for now, and possibly Clemons' long-term replacement. He'll have an opportunity to rush the passer in favorable situations."

Mel Kiper, Jr.
They could have traded back again and still gotten him

"It's not really the player I question. I know for a fact there are some teams who consider Irvin the best pass-rusher in the draft. The problem is the value. Two years in a row now Seattle has taken a player in Round 1 who I think they could have gotten perhaps 10 to 15 slots lower on the board. So again, it's not that Irvin can't be successful. It's that Seattle might still have Irvin today but perhaps an added pick or two this year or next if they managed to move down. Irvin is pretty gifted in space, and Pete Carroll clearly has a plan for him. My guess here is Seattle had already moved down once, so they had already added value, and they just decided they wanted their guy. Again, it's a question, not a rip."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, wasn't sure where to put this and I wasn't going to start another Alex Smith thread (though interestingly I couldn't find one that started out being about him for the last three pages of threads).

Harbaugh: "Alex Smith is our starting quarterback. He's earned it."
Video

Ok, we all knew this, but I didn't see any equivocation about it. If he had answered the question with the standard "throw the balls out there and compete," someone would make it more than it really is. I, for one, am glad that he's being straightforward about it. For this year, I'd get tired with the constant questions on the QB competition. Not because I don't like competition or don't believe in it, but rather that people read to much into the day-to-day reports of it. So the competition will be for the backup spot. Alex would really have to lose it or get injured to not be starting, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jackson's standing after Pead add
8:51PM ET
St. Louis Rams

St. Louis entered the 2012 NFL draft with whispers of Steven Jackson being on the trading block. Alabama's Trent Richardson was supposedly the apple of the Rams' eye. Richardson is now a Cleveland Brown. And St. Louis added Cincinnati's Isaiah Pead in the second round. But, Pead isn't the eventual successor to Jackson. Pead is merely Jackson's new sidekick. Plus Pead adds value in the return game.

- Brent Sobleski​

Mike Sando
Rams' new RB shouldn't threaten Jackson
"Steven Jackson doesn't have to worry about the St. Louis Rams drafting a running back to threaten his standing with the team. That would have been the case had St. Louis drafted Trent Richardson in the first round. But in selecting Cincinnati's Isaiah Pead with the 50th overall choice in the 2012 NFL draft Friday, the Rams secured a change-of-pace back -- someone to complement Jackson, not imperil his standing as the featured back."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where does Wagner fit for Seattle?
8:37PM ET
Seattle Seahawks

Seattle entered the NFL draft with major concerns along its first and second line of defenses. The Seahawks have now addressed both issues with its first two picks of West Virginia's Bruce Irvin and Utah State's Bobby Wagner.

Irvin is expected to be a situational pass rusher, while Wagner will have the opportunity to start according to ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando.

K.J. Wright was a pleasant surprise for Seattle last year at strongside linebacker. Wagner is a middle linebacker by trade, but he has the athleticism to start as a weakside linebacker if called upon to do so.

- Brent Sobleski​

Mike Sando
Seahawks get a linebacker: Bobby Wagner
"Wagner can play inside linebacker or outside linebacker. His speed and attacking style make him a natural for a special-teams role as a rookie. He'll presumably have a chance to compete for a starting job as well."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seahawks OL injuries update
4:58PM ET
Seattle Seahawks

By the end of the 2011 campaign, sixty percent of the Seattle Seahawks' offensive line (left tackle Russell Okung, right guard John Moffitt, and right tackle James Carpenter) were on injured reserve. Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune has updates on the current condition of these players, one of whom may not be ready for the start of the 2012 campaign.

Okung had surgery in December after tearing his pectoral muscle. He'll be limited during OTA activities. Moffitt had surgery to repair torn ligaments in his knee in November. Both players are expected to be ready for training camp.

The outlook is more grim for Carpenter, who tore his ACL in practice in late November. "ACL tears can take 10-12 months to recover from," Williams writes, "so Carpenter likely will not be ready for the beginning of training camp at the end of July, and could start the beginning of the regular season in September on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. There's also been some talk of the team moving Carpenter to left guard once he returns, but that's just speculation at this point. Right now, Seattle is focused on getting him healthy."

"That would be overly optimistic," said Seahawks GM John Schneider, when asked if Carpenter would be ready for training camp. "I would personally guard against it."

- Vince Verhei​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers focused on depth in draft
1:36PM ET
San Francisco 49ers

Coming off a 13-3 breakout campaign, the San Francisco 49ers front office appeared to have few concerns about their roster as they entered the draft. That seems obvious as they focused on stockpiling more 2013 draft picks than any other team. However, their top two picks -- first-rounder A.J. Jenkins and second-rounder LaMichael James -- give them an excess of depth at wide receiver and tailback.

Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News thinks the Niners were focused on adding outside speed at receiver and a change-of-pace running back this offseason and did so by adding Randy Moss, Brandon Jacobs and the aforementioned rookies.

"f Jenkins is good right away, there isn't a great need for Moss. And if Jenkins isn't good right away, he's Moss' back-up and develops as a back-up for all three WR spots (split-end, flanker, slot)," Kawakami said.

"There's a huge logjam at TB, but again, I think the 49ers sort of designed this way -- sign Jacobs in case they don't get a TB they love in the draft, and when James was there in the 2nd round, they grabbed him and will deal with the logjam in training camp."

With such depth at wide receiver and running back, the Niners' training camp and preseason should be interesting to watch, as they sort out who sticks on the roster and in what roles.

- Tom Carpenter​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers' QB competition
10:39AM ET
San Francisco 49ers

No, it does not appear as though Alex Smith will be facing a QB competition this offseason; his hold on the starting job for the San Francisco 49ers appears secure. But after that?

"They'll be competition at the quarterback position throughout the entire depth chart of our quarterbacks," Jim Harbaugh commented Monday, according to Sacramento Bee scribe Matt Barrows. "They'll be competing for the second spot. They'll be competing for the third spot. Alex is always competing. That's just his makeup and his nature. Kaep's the same way. He's always competing. He's always trying to climb. I know Josh is that way. That's the way Scott Tolzien is. That's how all those youngsters are wired."

Josh Johnson was Harbaugh's QB at the University of San Diego, while Colin Kaepernick was the team's second-round pick from 2011. The club focused on adding weapons for Smith during free agency and the draft this offseason, so expectations have certainly been raised for his performance.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cardinals: One big question
May, 3, 2012 12:00PM ET
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Can the Arizona Cardinals' defense maintain the growth it showed late last season, outpacing whatever gains the San Francisco 49ers make on offense?

Joshua Steuter asked that question and a few others via Facebook as part of our ongoing discussion. We could have asked about Kevin Kolb, John Skelton and the quarterback situation, but we've been having that discussion for nine months already.

The answer to Joshua's question could hinge on a few variables:

Dan Williams' recovery: Williams, the Cardinals' first-round draft pick in 2010, is returning from a nasty arm injury suffered against the 49ers late last season. Arizona should remain strong at both defensive end spots. Darnell Dockett and franchise player Calais Campbell are established players. Williams was showing signs of becoming one before the injury. Conditioning can be a concern for him. As a first-round talent, he holds the key to determining whether the Cardinals field one of the best 3-4 fronts in the game.

Stewart Bradley's transition: Arizona's coaches had big plans for Bradley heading into last season. They envisioned pairing him with Daryl Washington to get pressure with inside blitzes. Do those dreams live? Bradley struggled with the transition from a 4-3 defense to the 3-4. Paris Lenon beat him out and played well enough to keep the job. Were the Cardinals really that wrong on Bradley? Did the lockout-affected offseason merely delay the transition? The Cardinals will find out for sure this season. They have a full offseason to make this work. And Bradley did take a pay cut.

Acho/Schofield progression. The Cardinals were the only NFL team to go through the 2012 draft without selecting a player for their front seven. They had needs on offense but showed faith in some of their emerging defensive players, including outside linebackers Sam Acho and O'Brien Schofield. Acho had seven sacks last season. Schofield had 4.5 sacks. Getting one of those players into double digits would signal the continued development Arizona needs to keep its defense on the upswing.

Next step for Peterson: Cornerback Patrick Peterson should take a significant step forward, improving the Cardinals' ability to match up with a reconfigured 49ers receiving corps featuring Randy Moss and Mario Manningham. Peterson scored four touchdowns on punt returns last season. I like his chances to score on defense this season as well. He'll relish a chance to match up with Moss.

The Cardinals' defense held San Francisco to 23 and 19 points last season despite occasionally horrible play from Arizona's offense. The 49ers converted 11 of 38 times on third down against Arizona, including 3 of 17 times during the Cardinals' Dec. 11 victory over San Francisco.

I'm expecting Arizona's defense to keep pace in this matchup.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers: One big question
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Will the San Francisco 49ers approach their turnover differential from last season?

Ken Baker asked the question via Facebook. He's a Seattle Seahawks fan, so the question was probably rhetorical, but there's a broader context worth our attention.

The 49ers were plus-28 in turnover differential last season, a big reason they posted a 13-3 record. Winning the turnover battle most of the time is a reasonable expectation for the 49ers based on how they play defense. It was an even more reasonable expectation last season based on how the 49ers played offense in concert with that defense.

The 2011 49ers risked sacks instead of risking interceptions, trusting their defense and special teams. It usually worked. And the offense produced in critical moments against New Orleans during the divisional playoff round. But there were signs of trouble all season, especially on third down. The 49ers will have a harder time taking the next step in the playoffs -- reaching the Super Bowl -- without taking the next step on offense.

There should be higher expectations in 2012.

The 49ers have spent the offseason acquiring offensive weapons. They welcomed Randy Moss out of retirement. They signed Brandon Jacobs and Mario Manningham. They used a first-round pick for receiver A.J. Jenkins and a second-rounder for running back LaMichael James. By all appearances, the 49ers want more from their offense.

Spinning off the original question from Ken, I'm curious to see whether the 49ers demand more from quarterback Alex Smith and whether Smith can deliver without committing too many additional turnovers.

The 49ers built flexibility into their new contract with Smith, and they have expectations for Colin Kaepernick. How much higher will coach Jim Harbaugh raise the bar on offense?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rams: One big question
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

What are the St. Louis Rams going to do at outside linebacker?

The team faces other questions coming off a 2-14 season, but that position went largely unaddressed in the draft. St. Louis emerged from the draft with five linebackers on its roster, leaving roughly six or seven spots to fill for training camp.

The Rams used a seventh-round choice for Aaron Brown, a weakside linebacker from Hawaii, but linebackers selected that late would generally project as special-teams contributors only if they earn roster spots at all.

Veteran Jo-Lonn Dunbar, signed from New Orleans in free agency, projects as one starter. Josh Hull, a seventh-round choice in 2010, projects as the other starter until the Rams can further address the position.

James Laurinaitis is a solid starter in the middle. He should fare better in 2012 playing behind recently acquired Kendall Langford (Miami Dolphins) and Michael Brockers (first-round draft choice). He cannot make every play from sideline to sideline, however. He needs help. The Rams desperately need speed on the outside.

After struggling through last season with aging stopgap options such as Ben Leber and Brady Poppinga, the Rams have gotten younger at the position, but they have not gotten appreciably better. Some of the players they cast aside in previous seasons -- Paris Lenon, Pisa Tinoisamoa and Will Witherspoon come to mind -- would have been better than the players St. Louis wound up relying on.

At one point in the draft, the Rams traded down from the 45th spot, coming away with running back Isaiah Pead and the 150th choice. Philadelphia and Seattle took inside linebackers with the 46th and 47th overall picks. The Rams could have drafted Nebraska's Lavonte David, who went to Tampa Bay at No. 58, but they thought Pead would bring greater value at another position of need.

Teams running 4-3 defenses selected only four projected outside linebackers from the third through fifth rounds, with Jacksonville selecting Nevada's Brandon Marshall at No. 142, eight spots before the Rams chose South Carolina guard Rokevious Watkins.

The bottom line was that St. Louis entered this draft with more needs than it could address with the available picks. Outside linebacker moves closer to the top of their priority list as the roster rebuild enters its next phase.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seahawks: One big question
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Will Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn live up to his Green Bay hype?

J.C. Colom asked the question via Facebook, and initially I was reluctant to answer it. Some things must wait until the regular season because there's not enough evidence to form a solid opinion, as Brett Schumacher pointed out before pleading with me to avoid quarterback-related questions.

But an answer came to mind. A theory, really.

What we've seen from Flynn, the presumed starter even though he hasn't yet won the job, suggests he'll be more aggressive than 2011 starter Tarvaris Jackson. He'll take more chances. That seemed to be his nature with Green Bay.

Some of that could reflect the advanced state of the Packers' offense overall and the types of games Flynn participated in while completing 55 of 81 passes for 731 yards with nine touchdowns and two interceptions in two starts. That is obviously an unsustainable pace; he's not going to pass for 72 touchdowns with 16 interceptions over a full season. Things will even out if Flynn plays as aggressively as he played while posting that 9-2 ratio.

I'm anticipating a point in the 2012 season when Flynn and coach Pete Carroll must reconcile the gap between a quarterback's aggressive mindset and a defensive-minded head coach's emphasis on avoiding mistakes even at the expense of productivity.

Carroll and Matt Hasselbeck needed time to develop a full understanding in 2010. The two hit a stride for a few weeks, with Hasselbeck playing his best against Arizona and New Orleans. Hasselbeck finished strong in the playoffs, leading the Seahawks past the Saints in the wild-card round.

Flynn will likely experience peaks and valleys over the course of a season. Most quarterbacks do. We'll raise additional questions along the way.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Irvin's impact as a rookie
4:35PM ET
Seattle Seahawks

Following the Seattle Seahawks' selection of pass-rusher Bruce Irvin with their first-round pick, there were many who questioned the pick, considering that the ongoing belief amongst draft analysts was that Irvin could've been available after the Seahawks had traded down again; thus, they'd not milked as much value out of their first pick as possible. It's an argument that will be thrown aside if Irvin becomes a dominant player at this level, of course.

In any event, Irvin became the first first-rounder to sign his rookie deal this year, inking a four-year pact with Seattle on Monday, according to ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando. Further terms of the deal are not immediately available.

ESPN's John Clayton believes that Irvin can collect double-digit sacks as a rookie, and may even force opposing teams to adjust their protection packages to account for him:

- Tim Kavanagh

John Clayton
Seattle may present some matchup problems now

"I can see him getting 11 sacks as a rookie. I don't think he will get many starts his rookie season, but Pete Carroll's system is set up for him being a double-digit sacker. Carroll considered him the best pass-rusher in the draft. He figures to get Irvin on the field 60 percent of the snaps. If the strategy works, the Seahawks will have two 11-sack players -- Chris Clemons and Irvin. It'll be interesting to see whether more teams go into two-tight end sets against the Seahawks to try to minimize Irvin's impact. Of course, if teams do that, it could take away some big-play ability from the downfield throws. It could also play into a strength of the Seahawks, who have the best young safety corps in football."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UPDATE: Lutui's veganism
4:11PM ET
Deuce Lutui | Seahawks

UPDATE: As it turns out, Pete Carroll wasn't joking when talking about Deuce Lutui going vegan to help establish and maintain a healthy playing weight.

"The commitment that he made to himself and his family revolved around not only being the best player," Lutui's agent Ken Harris said Monday, according to ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando, "but being with them for many years to come and not having to worry as much about weight-related issues that can cause down-line health concerns."

Lutui is currently penciled in as a backup OG, but could be in the mix for a starting gig if his newly found healthfulness has also resulted in a better engine.

---

Guard Deuce Lutui has battled weight problems throughout his career -- he's listed at 6-foot-4, 338 pounds -- but that didn't keep the Seattle Seahawks from signing him this offseason. By signing with the Seahawks, Lutui reunited with his USC coach Pete Carroll, as well as strength coach Chris Carlisle. Can they get him focused on getting in shape in his new digs? Well, Carroll joked that Lutui was down to 208 pounds before claiming that the big fella had become a vegan, according to Sando.

"Deuce Lutui, he is a joy to have out here," Carroll said. "He has got such a great spirit. He always did. We looked at opportunities to get him on this club just because of that. He looks good. His weight is down -- I mean, way down from where he can be. He's a vegan, too, now, so he has really made a big turn, if you can imagine, yes."

There are plenty of big guys who are vegan, including the relatively svelte 5-foot-11, 275-pound Prince Fielder of the Detroit Tigers. Whether Carroll is joking or not -- he claims he isn't -- watching Lutui's weight this offseason will be a bit of a pastime for Seahawks fans.

Sando, for one, isn't quite sold on the vegan angle, though:

- Tom Carpenter​

Mike Sando
Deuce the vegan and other potential truths

"There were so many other angles to cover following the Seahawks' 45-minute voluntary workout for veterans Friday, but none could match this one for the double-take factor. Lutui's long history of weight issues invite skepticism. I followed up with Carroll twice in an effort to make sure the coach wasn't joking. He stuck with his story, but conceivably could have been kidding. Weight troubles had, after all, derailed Lutui's signing with Cincinnati last offseason, leading the Bengals to fail him on a physical examination. The Cardinals valued Lutui as a starter for years, but they grew weary of the weight issues, relegating the former second-round draft choice to a backup role in 2011. ... I'm not buying this one all the way. Lutui was not available for interviews. The team had a small window between its on-field session and meetings. Carroll, Flynn and Jackson were the ones made available. The offensive players wore dark jerseys Friday, so there might have been a slimming factor to the visual, but all in all, I thought Lutui looked pretty good."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arizona's issue at OT
3:49PM ET
Arizona Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals did John Skelton or Kevin Kolb a big favor in selecting Michael Floyd with the No. 13 overall pick in the draft, but by waiting until the fourth round to address their need on the offensive line -- taking Bobby Massie with pick No. 112 -- whoever is back there might be running for his life again this season.

Levi Brown was re-signed and the team's former first-rounder did improve down the stretch of 2011. However, there have been significant questions raised as to whether that performance was due to the fact that he was likely going to be released into the free agent market this offseason (Brown's rookie deal included a huge escalation in cap hit in 2012, so the club cut him before that bonus was due). Matt Williamson of Scouts, Inc. considers the Cards' OT situation a shaky one as of now:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Matt Williamson
O-line is not a strength for Arizona

"Brown, whom Arizona re-signed, played better down the stretch last season. Before that short stint, Brown was awful at this level. This line overall doesn't feature one player who should clearly be considered an above-average starter when compared to the other 31 starters at each respective position. Also, QB Kevin Kolb has shown that he doesn't deal with pressure very well, so it was even more critical for the Cardinals to address this major need with their edge protection. Offensive line coach Russ Grimm will really have his hands full shaping this unit toward respectability. Arizona must hope that one of these mid- or late-round picks will hit and Brown continues to improve, but for as well off as the Cardinals are now with their offensive weapons, it all could be all for naught if they are consistently losing the battle up front."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
New deal soon for Chris Long?
2:35PM ET
Chris Long | Rams

Following the new deal for Miami Dolphins pass-rusher Cameron Wake, we've investigated how that might affect the negotiations for Detroit Lions DE Cliff Avril and Wake's teammate Jake Long. But the effect runs even further, as St. Louis Rams DE Chris Long is also entering the final year of his current deal and the Wake extension could be used as a benchmark in those talks.

Long was drafted No. 2 overall in 2008, back in the era when Top 5 picks were getting ridiculous contracts as rookies, and his was no exception -- five years and $48 million. Long is slated to make $10.3 million in 2012, with a cap hit of $14 million, before hitting unrestricted free agency next offseason.

Wake, who is 30, was given a four-year, $48 million extension ($20 million guaranteed), while Carolina Panthers DE Charles Johnson received a six-year, $76 million extension ($32 million guaranteed) last offseason as a 24-year-old. Prior to that, the Chicago Bears offered the then 30-year-old Julius Peppers a six-year deal, $84 million deal ($42 million guaranteed). For the 27-year-old Long, his age and relative production (13 sacks in 2011) peg his next deal somewhere in the midst of Johnson's and Peppers'.

- Tim Kavanagh​