• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he is going to fail to the extent that Kolb did, but he isn't going to get even close to Schaub's level. He played well in Green Bay's offense where they spread you out and have the talent to chip away with the little guys until they hit a home run. Seattle doesn't have that type of offense, plus Seattle definitely doesn't have the officials on their side. Flynn is going to find out real quick that outside of GB, holding isn't considered a clean block and he's going to get the shit kicked out of him a few teams. I'll be interested to see if he can dust himself off and still be good on a team where it isn't illegal to hit the QB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers: Alex Smith Among Most Underrated Quarterbacks

Excerpt (not the whole article):

For the six seasons prior to 2011, Smith's most famous phrase was, "No question." He's said it so many times during press conferences and interviews, someone could collage a full-length movie with the footage. Smith says, "No question", so much because he is a very congenial, agreeable person. Exactly opposite the kind of attitude one would usually expect (and want) of an NFL quarterback.

"Smith, do you think your team's lack of production on third down had something to do with your innacurate passes?"

"No question."

"Alex, you're still in the league after all these seasons, but it seems clear to many you have not lived up to the hype. Is that a fair assessment?"

"No question."

"Your wife and I are having an affair. She said you wouldn't do anything about it. We cool, bro?"

"No question."

The fact that Smith's most controversial statement in his seven seasons as an NFL quarterback is something as docile as, (paraphrasing) "When you're behind in games, you tend to throw the ball more. For example, Cam Newtron threw for a lot of yards, but the Panthers weren't winning games.", tells you something.

Yet the fire in Smith's belly was lit this year under Harbaugh, and when asked repeatedly, "Can you be clutch for us and win this game?" Smith responded:

"No question."

It was likely the fact that Smith finally had a coach who supported him. But despite his achievements this year, and despite being an overall really, really nice guy, the former No. 1 draft pick still attracts an enourmous amount of vitriol.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, having read all of two articles - or a small part of two articles - on Yardbarker, I'm pretty much over it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yardbarker? God Almighty, what has this off-season come to. Alex Smith is definitely NOT among the most underrated QB's in the NFL- In fact, right about now he is on the verge of becoming the most overrated QB in the NFL!

Ugh! Sept can not get here soon enough!

Yeah, having read all of two articles - or a small part of two articles - on Yardbarker, I'm pretty much over it.

I posted it for the "No question" aspect of it - if that makes you feel any better. Yardbarker = BleacherReport = Using Wikipedia for your masters' thesis paper. It is the offseason, so I am looking at more than I would at these types of websites than I would in the middle of the season. (I posted the other one not knowing who/what yardbarker was, mainly for the stat references, not citing it as authoritative source or fantastic non-biased journalism)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted it for the "No question" aspect of it - if that makes you feel any better. Yardbarker = BleacherReport = Using Wikipedia for your masters' thesis paper. It is the offseason, so I am looking at more than I would at these types of websites than I would in the middle of the season. (I posted the other one not knowing who/what yardbarker was, mainly for the stat references, not citing it as authoritative source or fantastic non-biased journalism)

I would say Bleacher > YB, and Wikipedia as an excellent source for information if you know how to use it. And finally, I wouldn't know if the "No question" aspect makes me feel better because I'm not sure what you mean by that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Bleacher > YB, and Wikipedia as an excellent source for information if you know how to use it. And finally, I wouldn't know if the "No question" aspect makes me feel better because I'm not sure what you mean by that.

When I said, "if it makes you feel better" I was saying that I was posting it for the "no question" observation - NOT to say Alex Smith is one of the most underrated QBs. So, "if it makes you feel better about me posting a yardbarker article, I didn't agree with it and wasn't citing it as a good source."

I thought it was funny how Alex answered many, many questions with the words "no question" when affirming what the reporter asked. I thought he did it too much and then the yardbarker author noted that, too. I assumed most people who watch his interviews knew this and thought it was a bit humorous (obviously not laugh out loud funny, but sort of an inside joke).

Wikipedia is a great source, but you don't put that in the citation page of your thesis - you find the sources that wikipedia cited and cite that. Anyone can make up stuff on wikipedia as it is editable by anyone, whereas other sources (that wikipedia often cites) is more reliable because they are putting their name on the line in the reports (i.e. Scientific American).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fitzgerald calls out Floyd
1:54PM ET
Larry Fitzgerald | Cardinals

Star wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was reportedly one of those within the Arizona Cardinals pushing for the team to draft Michael Floyd out of Notre Dame. Well, be careful what you wish for. Fitzgerald has been unhappy with Floyd's work effort, and took to Twitter to scold the youngster publicly.

"Just finished a great workout with Wellefast," Fitzgerald wrote, referring to WelleFast Elite Sports Training in Maple Grove, Minn. "I'm charging [Floyd] with a DWI 'don't want it' he missed a 3rd straight workout 2day."

An interesting choice of words, there. Fitzgerald didn't just knock Floyd's desire, he also needled Floyd about past mistakes. Floyd was suspended at Notre Dame after a drunk driving arrest.

In short, Fitzgerald is telling Floyd to stay out of trouble and get to work.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I said, "if it makes you feel better" I was saying that I was posting it for the "no question" observation - NOT to say Alex Smith is one of the most underrated QBs. So, "if it makes you feel better about me posting a yardbarker article, I didn't agree with it and wasn't citing it as a good source."

Yeah, I understood the humor behind the "no question" adjunct, but the point of the article was to suggest that Alex Smith is an underrated QB, which is what I was responding to - I wasn't at all responding to you personally.

That said, however, most here know you are a proponent/defender of Smith so naturally when you post articles such as these you are going to be associated with the position of the author.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I understood the humor behind the "no question" adjunct, but the point of the article was to suggest that Alex Smith is an underrated QB, which is what I was responding to - I wasn't at all responding to you personally.

That said, however, most here know you are a proponent/defender of Smith so naturally when you post articles such as these you are going to be associated with the position of the author.

I figured you understood the humor, but I thought explaining both would kill two birds with one stone. As you said, I am a Smith supporter, so therefore there was a chance that only people like me noticed the no question comment. I explained all of it because you said you didn't get part of my post.

Although I am a Smith supporter, I ignore articles that say he's going to be the biggest breakout player of 2012, that he deserved the pro bowl, etc. I defend him against negative comments, not as much proliferate positive reviews by people I don't know. I'll post an ESPN or SI or SF newspaper positive report sometimes, but not yardbarker, BleacherReport, etc. I understand the assumption that I'd have the position of the author - the presumption is reasonable, but in this case it's not accurate.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured you understood the humor, but I thought explaining both would kill two birds with one stone. As you said, I am a Smith supporter, so therefore there was a chance that only people like me noticed the no question comment. I explained all of it because you said you didn't get part of my post.

Although I am a Smith supporter, I ignore articles that say he's going to be the biggest breakout player of 2012, that he deserved the pro bowl, etc. I defend him against negative comments, not as much proliferate positive reviews by people I don't know. I'll post an ESPN or SI or SF newspaper positive report sometimes, but not yardbarker, BleacherReport, etc. I understand the assumption that I'd have the position of the author - the presumption is reasonable, but in this case it's not accurate.

Every single poster on this board that read your post understood the humor of the "no question" adjunct; therefore, explaining it was senseless - You have, for no reason whatsoever, killed two innocent birds.

As for the assumptions/presumptions/accusations, etc, those are what disclaimers are for. Other posters use them all the time - just a thought.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single poster on this board that read your post understood the humor of the "no question" adjunct; therefore, explaining it was senseless - You have, for no reason whatsoever, killed two innocent birds.

As for the assumptions/presumptions/accusations, etc, those are what disclaimers are for. Other posters use them all the time - just a thought.

I wasn't going to explain any of it, but you did your classical "not sure what that even means" posts and I responded to it. I wasn't going to explain one part and not the other. Not every poster on this board listens to player's interviews the same amount or way as you or I do. So I'm not going to assume they do. They probably do, but no skin off my back to explain. I use disclaimers all the time and I took no offense to your assumptions. I just explain everything because that's my personality. I know you don't like it, but that's just the way I post. Just because we root for the same team and post on the same board doesn't mean we've got to be friends. I understand that, but I'm not going to change the way I post and I don't expect you to either.

I am a Niner fan first, not a Smith fan first. I just happen to believe he's better than some say (and obviously not as good as some profess) and that he can lead us where we want to go. I admittedly pay more attention to the QB position than others but can appreciate the other positions. I recognize that other positions have been established in this league much farther than Smith. What is there to discuss about Patrick Willis other than being better than Ray Lewis? I'll discuss all of the positions but the QB, even when Smith leaves, will be my main focus.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No worries about posting it. I post Grant Cohn stuff from time to time, even occasionally not for the sole purpose of mocking it. I'm just not terribly impressed with the site based on what I've seen of it. It can still be good material to start conversations or to enjoy a laugh.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dallas Cowboys win the NFC East and other predictions - NFL.com

The 49ers will start the season 0-2

The San Francisco 49ers have added a lot of aging talent (Randy Moss, Brandon Jacobs, et al) like one of those Garry Marshall flicks ("New Year's Eve" or "Valentine's Day"), but that won't be enough to prevent San Francisco from starting 0-2 against the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions. Best case scenario is 1-1. Let's face it, a +28 on turnover differential will be nearly impossible to duplicate and the NFC West will be much more competitive. However, the 49ers will still win the division.

Whaaaa? Yes, the Niners added those two guys. Who is the et al.? Rock Cartwright is old, but far from guaranteed to make the roster and if he does will probably not see a snap on offense. Outside of that, they added two 26-year-olds in Johnson and Manningham, and a slew of draft picks and UDFAs who are all under 24 so far as I know. Meanwhile, Moran Norris, Justin Peelle, Adam Snyder, Shawntae Spencer, and Madieu Williams departed.