• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West YAC

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK, I had the wrong poster but the right timeline.....and man, when did you turn into an absolutely obsessive freak? I used to joke about the cazic stuff, but its not even funny anymore.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your point is moot. Iguana and I were arguing about Smith's role in that YAC department when Hockey decided to claim that since we're 10-3, I shouldn't bring Smith up. That's my qualm.

Try and keep up.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, Crabtree has played in all but one game.

Smith has had some tough shakes based on OL play and dropped passes lately, but you overstate the situation. If Smith didn't have the limitations that he does, he would be able to mask some of those deficiencies in other players, especially the OL. This week should be a good test against an attacking defense.

you can't mask an offensive line that can't create a pocket for a qb. outside pressure is one thing but when there is inside pressure as well, can't even step into a throw. smith doesn't have the release of brees or peyton, but he doesn't have a wind up.

the past few weeks the playcalling seems to be more about trying things out instead of execution. we were rolling after demolishing tampa then we started to get cute with the plays. it might have cost us the bye. not only a lack of execution, the offensive struggles are compounded by trying things out with the playcalling.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you can't mask an offensive line that can't create a pocket for a qb. outside pressure is one thing but when there is inside pressure as well, can't even step into a throw. smith doesn't have the release of brees or peyton, but he doesn't have a wind up.

the past few weeks the playcalling seems to be more about trying things out instead of execution. we were rolling after demolishing tampa then we started to get cute with the plays. it might have cost us the bye. not only a lack of execution, the offensive struggles are compounded by trying things out with the playcalling.

I agree on the playcalling. I was calling for them to run more after dominating TOP in the first half, but we just kept going to the air with no success. I hoped the team would open it up more on offense, but only after they had secured a nice lead. That should have happened in this game, but didn't due to the crappy red zone offense.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please. People have been pimping Alex Smith all year on this board. Even I've said that, to my surprise because of this offense, Smith is most definitely having the best year of his career. Don't act like people around here are walking on egg shells when it comes to propping up Smith's play.

This thread is about our lack of YACs. Why would you expect anyone to put Smith in a positive light in a thread about our poor YACs and generally poor passing offense? There have been plenty of threads dedicated to Smith's good play. This thread is about the offenses poor play. And guess what? Smith plays QB for this offense.

Again, when was the last time a passing offense was one of the worst in the league and the QB wasn't a major problem?

how many offenses play well without at least average offensive line play? even gore was looking bad early in the year when the line was getting pushed back every running play.

it's hard to fully evaluate qb's and recievers when the offensive line is playing this poorly.

we can even take a different angle on offensive line play. the year andre carter and okeafer were getting a ton of pressure on the qb, plummer and webster looked like a great duo. they didn't get many sacks but they disrupted the other qb. when that pressure went away because of injuries, our corners got exposed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
how many offenses play well without at least average offensive line play? even gore was looking bad early in the year when the line was getting pushed back every running play.

it's hard to fully evaluate qb's and recievers when the offensive line is playing this poorly.

we can even take a different angle on offensive line play. the year andre carter and okeafer were getting a ton of pressure on the qb, plummer and webster looked like a great duo. they didn't get many sacks but they disrupted the other qb. when that pressure went away because of injuries, our corners got exposed.

Gore is only a middle-of-the-road RB at this point. He's still got great vision and good power in the open field, but he doesn't have the explosiveness to exploit holes the way he used to. I love the guy, but he's fallen off a bit, and that trend will only continue.

As for the OL question, Pittsburgh and Indy both did well with poor OLs last year. You need a very good QB to do that, though.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he broke what 3 runs last week? the run blocking was pretty bad, but he still hit the hole hard. he's not dominating like he was a few years ago, but he's still one of the best backs in the league.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he broke what 3 runs last week? the run blocking was pretty bad, but he still hit the hole hard. he's not dominating like he was a few years ago, but he's still one of the best backs in the league.

Middle-of-the-road might have been a bit harsh, but I think he's lost something. He may still top-10 at this point, but he's much closer to 10 than he is to one IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Middle-of-the-road might have been a bit harsh, but I think he's lost something. He may still top-10 at this point, but he's much closer to 10 than he is to one IMO.

yeah, in this last game it wasn't hard to see he lacks the usual explosion.

he supposedly being held back by 'nagging' injuries, or was it accumulation of small ones? either way we REALLY hope thats the case vice nearing '30 years old'. we know he ain't 'forever' but one more year at his PRIME would be nice.