• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC East thoughts

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im in heaven! Excellent posts by everyone. I haven't seen a post this good on the other site in years!

Manster, I have 2 NFL guides so far and both I saw had the Redskins in 1st. PFT ranked the Redskins higher then Dallas. Does that mean anything? NO! But its just not me predicting the Skins to win the division. Cowboys are a good team and easily could win the division this year but I think the Redskins have the far superior run game and run D might be the Cowboys weak point. I also think Redskins will be much improved by getting there 1st and 2nd best defensive players back. I know Dallas lost some really good players too. Heck, the Eagles were decimated too. Early in the season we were down to our 3rd string LT, our starting LG, a 3rd string center, a 3rd string RG and a 2nd string RT. That group was one of the worst OLines in a while. Im really rooting for RG3. I hate to see such a smart, friendly and talented QB hurt. He is one of those players that are important in the NFL off the field like Demarcus Ware and Tony Gonzales.

49 days folks! Actually only 46 for the Cowboys!

Lastly, nice post TRS.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the division is up for grabs.... Sorry Eagles fans... Except for yall.
Can't count the Giants out. Redskins won last year. Cowboys are loaded with weapons... but no O-line.

I think 9-7 can win the division and pretty sure if a team hits 10-6 it will. We beat the shit out of each other every year.... Gonna come down to who can stay healthy.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why does EVERY poll from every major network all have the Skins finishing ahead of the Cowboys. THe RedSkins lost there best two players on D. Philly lost their entire OLine. But its just Dallas who had to over come injuries, correct?

Every major network and analyst had the skins finishing 3rd or 4th in the division last year.

That is pretty weak support for an argument.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM just going to chime in here on all four teams.

I will Start with NY. I think they are the biggest hurdle to the Skins repeating as NFC Champs. Eli is always going to be Eli. give him a couple of good WRs and a half decent defense, and you cant count them out in most cases. Now I do think that they have lost some guys and they tend to not turn it on until things get desperate. I dont think that mindset is going to get it done for them this year.

Philly... right now this team is like a mystery box. Yea we know who they have on roster, and we know who they have coaching. But that's about it. They haven't and likely wont decide on a starting QB for another 3-4 weeks. they are also switching defensive schemes. So basically they are doing a total system change in all aspects of the game. they will catch a few teams sleeping. But all in all I think expectations should be tempered in Philly.

Dallas.... On paper once again one of the most talented group of starters in the league on offense. Romo puts up monster numbers and as much as it pains me to say it Dez looks legit. But... they are also changing defensive systems. Still dont have a consistent running game. Do they have a shot at winning the Division?? Sure they do. Should they be favored over Washington or NY... probably not.

Washington... Im going to try and be non biased here. Washington is returning 21 of 22 starters from last year. No major scheme changes. The Skins proved last year after losing BOTH starting safeties, a starting OLB and starting DE in the first two weeks that this team does have depth. The major weakness in our secondary was not brought back. The redskins do have a solid run game. And the only real issues on the Skins roster are Health of RG3, Rak and to a degree Carriker. Can the Secondary improve, and can they Improve at RT.. in that order.

These are the reasons why i think the Skins are slight favorites to repeat as NFCEast champs. Because over all, the Skins have less questions than any of the other teams going on.

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, the Pistol formation, which is the offensive philosophy that the redskins sometimes operate in, includes the read option as a subset of it. The read option is one of like 12 different kinds of plays that can be run out of the pistol formation.

Sayind, "DC's will have an answer for the read option," is akin to saying, "DC's will have an answer for slant passes," when what you really mean is "The West Coast Offense."

Secondly, I believe RG3 had some of the greatest Qb rating numbers in the league when kept in th pocket. Somebody else can look that up.

The redskins competition for the division is the giants. If the redskins or giants are hit with injuries, and the cowboys are not ht with injuries, then the cowboys might contend. Sorry, but the ginger is not a god coach, a defensive scheme switch takes a few years, and the cowboys have no running game.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree...... and not because I'm a Cowboys fan
Garson is a solid #2..... Not a #1
Shanny can run the ball.... always had been able to with the zone scheme..... same scheme Dallas is now using.
safeties no better than Dallas.
Lbers not as good as Dallas
D-line ?? we'll see Cowboys are switching schemes.
Giants however.... outside of D-line have nothing. They have to HOPE neither of us show improvement on the O-line.
Offensively ... they are solid except at Rb.... Which with the way they play.... I think they drop back. Dude turns the ball over more than Tiki when he was young. Not good in this division where we hit each other harder than any other division in the league

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I'll bite

Giants - As a fan I read a couple of things in this thread that made me cringe. We do not have a dominant DL. It's 2013, not the 2007 post season. Our DL last year was atrocious. Tuck grew a vagina and Pierre Paul couldn't be double teams. Our best DL, Canty, is no longer on the roster. Yes, we added some pieces in the draft and FA, namely Jenkins, but it's a "wait and see" for me. I tell you, I am most excited to see if Ojomo can step up and be a force like I think he can.

If Pugh can be a legit RT and Snee gets his head out of his ass and returns to form, I like our offense. Especially if Nicks can stay healthy... and yes, that's a much bigger if that RGIII.

We lost pretty much every game in the trenches last year. That was what killed our season. We need to get back to winning those battles and I like our chances of making the playoffs.

Redskins - I'll state the obvious. Griffin's health is the biggest factor to their success. I think Shanahan realizes this, along with the fact he had Terrell Davis v2 in the backfield and he runs the ball more out of a traditional set. Which then opens up the playaction. That will be the redskins lethal weapon, IMO. I just don't see Griffin running the ball as much, whether it be a read or a scramble.

Defensively I've always thought the skins never played up to their potential. If they can dial it in a bit, then I think they're the favorites to win the division

Cowboys - Similar to the Giants in that they need to start winning in the trenches. Their OL has been putrid the past couple of seasons. Romo is a legit QB who is starting to exit the prime of his career and enter his last three or so good years remaining. The OL needs to step up and give him the time to distribute the ball. And if I was the occord, you gotta feed Murray the ball. A lot.

Defensively, switching to the 4-3 is another "wait and see."

Philly - I think they're a sleeper. (I'm waning so I'm somewhat skipping this one). Who knows what Chip Kelly is going to bring to the pros. All I know is he has a beast in the stable and should feed McCoy as much as possible.

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garçon is absolutely a number one, the cowboys will struggle in their new scheme, the redskins rb corps is head and shoulders better than the cowboys, who apparently are switching schemes here too, the redskins lb's = cowboys lb's, and most importantly, you have a proven loser at qb, and the redskins have a proven winner at qb.

The cowboys have exactly ONE lb I'd want on the redskins ( Ware), and while Bryant is good, he also is quite inmature. I wouldn't take Choko or witten, certainly not an oft-injured miles Austin, and spencer is not as good as Orakpo.

The cowboys are a third place team.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree...... and not because I'm a Cowboys fan
Garson is a solid #2..... Not a #1
Shanny can run the ball.... always had been able to with the zone scheme..... same scheme Dallas is now using.
safeties no better than Dallas.
Lbers not as good as Dallas
D-line ?? we'll see Cowboys are switching schemes.
Giants however.... outside of D-line have nothing. They have to HOPE neither of us show improvement on the O-line.
Offensively ... they are solid except at Rb.... Which with the way they play.... I think they drop back. Dude turns the ball over more than Tiki when he was young. Not good in this division where we hit each other harder than any other division in the league

The Giants have very good safeties and if Amukamara keeps improving like he has been, we have a pretty good #1 CB in him. Our DL is alright. Has potential to be great, but they were horrible last year. Our LBs, once again, are our weakest link.

I'm not sure what you're basing your RB assessment on, but Wilson and Brown, with a dose of Scott could be explosive. It all starts with our OL though.

I'm also not exactly sure who you're referring to as a fumbler, but Brown had zero fumbles last year and Wilson had one fumble... the second carry of the season. After that he touched the ball over 130 times and never fumbled. :noidea:

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garçon is absolutely a number one, the cowboys will struggle in their new scheme, the redskins rb corps is head and shoulders better than the cowboys, who apparently are switching schemes here too, the redskins lb's = cowboys lb's, and most importantly, you have a proven loser at qb, and the redskins have a proven winner at qb.

The cowboys have exactly ONE lb I'd want on the redskins ( Ware), and while Bryant is good, he also is quite inmature. I wouldn't take Choko or witten, certainly not an oft-injured miles Austin, and spencer is not as good as Orakpo.

Ware is a DE in a 4-3 now.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im in heaven! Excellent posts by everyone. I haven't seen a post this good on the other site in years!

Manster, I have 2 NFL guides so far and both I saw had the Redskins in 1st. PFT ranked the Redskins higher then Dallas. Does that mean anything? NO! But its just not me predicting the Skins to win the division. Cowboys are a good team and easily could win the division this year but I think the Redskins have the far superior run game and run D might be the Cowboys weak point. I also think Redskins will be much improved by getting there 1st and 2nd best defensive players back. I know Dallas lost some really good players too. Heck, the Eagles were decimated too. Early in the season we were down to our 3rd string LT, our starting LG, a 3rd string center, a 3rd string RG and a 2nd string RT. That group was one of the worst OLines in a while. Im really rooting for RG3. I hate to see such a smart, friendly and talented QB hurt. He is one of those players that are important in the NFL off the field like Demarcus Ware and Tony Gonzales.

49 days folks! Actually only 46 for the Cowboys!

Lastly, nice post TRS.

What two have you looked at? I have perused three of them. Lindy's, Athlons, and I believe it was SI, none had the Skins winning the east. In fact I think it was Athlons that had them in 4th.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What two have you looked at? I have perused three of them. Lindy's, Athlons, and I believe it was SI, none had the Skins winning the east. In fact I think it was Athlons that had them in 4th.

Your right Manster. All three didn't have the Redskins winning the East in last years issue. Oh, you mean this year...Who knows, right? It's all about selling magazines anyway. As many Cowboy fans this great country has, it's good business to have the Cowboys ranked as high as possible every season. Don't waste your money on the hype of who will win the East. Save your coin and buy yourself a cold one with an order of hot wings, then enjoy the games once they finally get here.

Rankings are for college football. Not the NFL.

Cheers to a fun season!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your right Manster. All three didn't have the Redskins winning the East in last years issue. Oh, you mean this year...Who knows, right? It's all about selling magazines anyway. As many Cowboy fans this great country has, it's good business to have the Cowboys ranked as high as possible every season. Don't waste your money on the hype of who will win the East. Save your coin and buy yourself a cold one with an order of hot wings, then enjoy the games once they finally get here.

Rankings are for college football. Not the NFL.

Cheers to a fun season!

So you think the reason they didn't put the Skins in 1st is because of Cowboy's fans? That has to one of the dumbest remarks I've read on a message in a long time, and that's saying a lot considering we have FWD here.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the division is up for grabs.... Sorry Eagles fans... Except for yall.
Can't count the Giants out. Redskins won last year. Cowboys are loaded with weapons... but no O-line.

I think 9-7 can win the division and pretty sure if a team hits 10-6 it will. We beat the shit out of each other every year.... Gonna come down to who can stay healthy.

Which if the NFCEast of the last decade have shown us, means the Eagles will win it. This division is the hardest to judge before the season. For some reason, the team that everyone counts out is the one to rise up and contend. Every East fan knows that you can toss records out the windows for intra-division games, but the team everyone writes off has a habit of doing pretty well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are kidding yourself if you think the Skins wouldn't be stepping over themselves to be the first to talk to Lee this offseason if Jerry doesn't tag or resign him.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take lee in a NY minute. You guys may very well lose him, but I doubt he comes to us.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is one of the only Cowboy players I wouldn't mind having. Redskins will definitely be in the market for a linebacker unless Robinson shows something this season. Gonna need a replacement for Fletcher after this year for sure. And the Redskins will have a ton of cap space.

But I also wouldn't mind filling that need with Andrew Jackson in the draft.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee would look good in burgandy and gold!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we know Lee isn't going anywhere :)

That is the prayer I say every night.