• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next year's roster

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on this year, good and bad, what do you do with the the guys you've seen?

Seager, Cano, Cruz - obviously core players.

Guti - Keep this guy around. He can still patrol the OF which we desperately need. He has also shown a resurgence with the bat, especially opposite field power in the very limited time he's been up. If he can stay healthy he's a quality tool for a team.

Seth Smith - He's been steady all season long. I would love to see him be the same thing next year. That professional veteran hitter who can line the ball the other way, pull for power/doubles, or take a walk.

Ketel Marte - So far he looks like the Miller/Taylor hybrid if you added plate discipline. Kid can pick it at SS, doesn't look completely inept at the plate, and should be top of the list for starting SS out of camp.

Morrison - I had high hopes for this guy after his surge late last year. That is gone. I don't think his defense at 1B makes up for his inability to hit a baseball so I don't think he's penciled in for starting 1B.

Montero - Morrison's struggles means this should be our 1B going forward. He hasn't looked completely awful at 1st and his bat still has a lot of potential.

Brad Miller - Either becomes a utility man with a sketchy bat or is traded for pitching. I wanted to like Miller for a long time, but his approach is just terrible. Trying to yank everything out of the park with a guy on 3rd and less than 2 outs, when you have a swing that works well for staying on the ball and going the other way pisses me off like watching Eric Burns pull back a bunt attempt on a suicide squeeze (never forget)

Trumbo - Gone

Bullpen - Who the hell knows? Such a juggling act season to season. I still think Tom, Danny, and Carson have good enough stuff to be great, and Nuno's been pretty good, though I think he's gonna be groomed to start. Furbush is great matching up with lefties so he stays because his trade window is at the deadline, not the offseason.

Austin Jackson - Don't care. Here or gone he makes no difference to me. We have no viable alternative and he's just average enough to be fine.

Sucre - Gone. We need a better starting/backup catcher.

Zunino - I'm still patient with him. The flashes we saw in the weeks after Edgar took over were promising. For me he's still my starting C though he hits 9 every day.

James Jones - I love his speed so I want him on this team. Maybe CF, otherwise pinch running duties.

SP - Felix, Walker, Kuma - Earned their spots
Paxton needs to get healthy and he can be a beast
Elias deserves to get a season long look I think
Montgomery has been figured out.
A quality veteran or 2 would be ideal

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before new manager and GM. That's a different thread. These are the guys who play the game.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the lack of actual outfielders we've had recently, I'll be keeping an eye on Shawn O'Malley next year. Very small sample size, but he's looked pretty good lately. Wouldn't be surprised to see him as our starting CF next year if we don't acquire someone specifically for that position.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the lack of actual outfielders we've had recently, I'll be keeping an eye on Shawn O'Malley next year. Very small sample size, but he's looked pretty good lately. Wouldn't be surprised to see him as our starting CF next year if we don't acquire someone specifically for that position.

That would be sad if he is. Love the guy, but best as utility guy ala Bloomie. That to me is his true value.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be sad if he is. Love the guy, but best as utility guy ala Bloomie. That to me is his true value.
i completely agree... His value is as a utility guy. He has a lot of professional experience and knows his own skill set at the plate. He doesn't try to do too much and isn't afraid to draw a walk. I like the way he plays the game so far. But he should be viewed as a quality utility guy.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on this year, good and bad, what do you do with the the guys you've seen?

Seager, Cano, Cruz - obviously core players.

Guti - Keep this guy around. He can still patrol the OF which we desperately need. He has also shown a resurgence with the bat, especially opposite field power in the very limited time he's been up. If he can stay healthy he's a quality tool for a team.

Seth Smith - He's been steady all season long. I would love to see him be the same thing next year. That professional veteran hitter who can line the ball the other way, pull for power/doubles, or take a walk.

Ketel Marte - So far he looks like the Miller/Taylor hybrid if you added plate discipline. Kid can pick it at SS, doesn't look completely inept at the plate, and should be top of the list for starting SS out of camp.

Morrison - I had high hopes for this guy after his surge late last year. That is gone. I don't think his defense at 1B makes up for his inability to hit a baseball so I don't think he's penciled in for starting 1B.

Montero - Morrison's struggles means this should be our 1B going forward. He hasn't looked completely awful at 1st and his bat still has a lot of potential.

Brad Miller - Either becomes a utility man with a sketchy bat or is traded for pitching. I wanted to like Miller for a long time, but his approach is just terrible. Trying to yank everything out of the park with a guy on 3rd and less than 2 outs, when you have a swing that works well for staying on the ball and going the other way pisses me off like watching Eric Burns pull back a bunt attempt on a suicide squeeze (never forget)

Trumbo - Gone

Bullpen - Who the hell knows? Such a juggling act season to season. I still think Tom, Danny, and Carson have good enough stuff to be great, and Nuno's been pretty good, though I think he's gonna be groomed to start. Furbush is great matching up with lefties so he stays because his trade window is at the deadline, not the offseason.

Austin Jackson - Don't care. Here or gone he makes no difference to me. We have no viable alternative and he's just average enough to be fine.

Sucre - Gone. We need a better starting/backup catcher.

Zunino - I'm still patient with him. The flashes we saw in the weeks after Edgar took over were promising. For me he's still my starting C though he hits 9 every day.

James Jones - I love his speed so I want him on this team. Maybe CF, otherwise pinch running duties.

SP - Felix, Walker, Kuma - Earned their spots
Paxton needs to get healthy and he can be a beast
Elias deserves to get a season long look I think
Montgomery has been figured out.
A quality veteran or 2 would be ideal

Gutierrez is a pending Free Agent and has market value now so you shouldn't expect him back. The Mariners won't pay him what he can get elsewhere.

Seth Smith returns if he is not trqaded. He is signed through next year.

Shortstop is Ketel Marte's to lose. They will bring in a vet to push him next spring but I still think he will have a long leash. Should he start slow next year, he'll get at least two months to turn it around.

Morrison/Montero - They will both be back. Not a big fan of Morrison's either, but there isn't much available on the FA market nor in trade. Adam Lind shows up on various pending Free agent lists, but Milwaukee has a cheap team option for him nexxt year which they will undoubtedly exercise.

Miller is prime trade bait. I still believe that he can be an above average offensive player in the majors, but I no longer think it can or will happen in Seattle. If he stays, he'll be the new Bloomquist, except with more power.

Trumbo - He'll be back becasue he isn't a free agent until 2017, he plays multiple positions, and he wants to bbe here. He can probably go 25 homers/70 RBI in a full season wiith the Ms so, why not keep him?

Bullpen - What a mess. Where do we start? Six weeks ago I thought Wilhelmsen would most definitely be non-tendered this winter. Now I'm not so sure. But going into the 2016 season with Wilhelmsen as the closer doesn't exactly encourage confidence. Carson Smith is the only guy assured of being in the pen in 2016.

SP - Felix is #1. Iwakuma will be re-signed to a team-friendly short-term contract. He's #2. Walker is 3rd. They need to sign another veteran, and not the basement bargain variety like Chris Young or Aaron Harangatang or Joe Saunders or JA Happ. They need a legitimate veteran arm. But they won't sign one. Paxton will lead a group of young pitchers (Montgomery, Elias, etc.) who will fight it out for the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation.

Sucre/Zunino - Mike will be back on the big clu next year but could spend alot of time bouncing back and forth between here and tacoma. Sucre will be back at Tacoma. I'd like to believe that the top requisition on their shopping list this winter will be to get a catcher who can start 100-12o games. We'll see.

James Jones - He's a AAA guy. With the emergence of O'Malley, Jones won't get much if any playing time in Seattle. O'Malley haas the type of skills and instincts the team needs more of. If he can carry a .330 OBP, he's going to be starting in CF all year next year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gutierrez is a pending Free Agent and has market value now so you shouldn't expect him back. The Mariners won't pay him what he can get elsewhere.

Seth Smith returns if he is not trqaded. He is signed through next year.

Shortstop is Ketel Marte's to lose. They will bring in a vet to push him next spring but I still think he will have a long leash. Should he start slow next year, he'll get at least two months to turn it around.

Morrison/Montero - They will both be back. Not a big fan of Morrison's either, but there isn't much available on the FA market nor in trade. Adam Lind shows up on various pending Free agent lists, but Milwaukee has a cheap team option for him nexxt year which they will undoubtedly exercise.

Miller is prime trade bait. I still believe that he can be an above average offensive player in the majors, but I no longer think it can or will happen in Seattle. If he stays, he'll be the new Bloomquist, except with more power.

Trumbo - He'll be back becasue he isn't a free agent until 2017, he plays multiple positions, and he wants to bbe here. He can probably go 25 homers/70 RBI in a full season wiith the Ms so, why not keep him?

Bullpen - What a mess. Where do we start? Six weeks ago I thought Wilhelmsen would most definitely be non-tendered this winter. Now I'm not so sure. But going into the 2016 season with Wilhelmsen as the closer doesn't exactly encourage confidence. Carson Smith is the only guy assured of being in the pen in 2016.

SP - Felix is #1. Iwakuma will be re-signed to a team-friendly short-term contract. He's #2. Walker is 3rd. They need to sign another veteran, and not the basement bargain variety like Chris Young or Aaron Harangatang or Joe Saunders or JA Happ. They need a legitimate veteran arm. But they won't sign one. Paxton will lead a group of young pitchers (Montgomery, Elias, etc.) who will fight it out for the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation.

Sucre/Zunino - Mike will be back on the big clu next year but could spend alot of time bouncing back and forth between here and tacoma. Sucre will be back at Tacoma. I'd like to believe that the top requisition on their shopping list this winter will be to get a catcher who can start 100-12o games. We'll see.

James Jones - He's a AAA guy. With the emergence of O'Malley, Jones won't get much if any playing time in Seattle. O'Malley haas the type of skills and instincts the team needs more of. If he can carry a .330 OBP, he's going to be starting in CF all year next year.

Well thought out. The SP I want is Kazmir. Would love to see Paxton (lost faith in him) traded to Rockies (need pitching) in a package deal for Blackmon. Sign Parra (love Gordon but to cheap).

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with keeping Trumbo for 1st base. I've come to realization you could do a lot worse then keeping him for about 8-9 mil. Just keep him out of the outfield. No more then a couple times a month.

I'd be surprised if Miller is back. I like him more then most do but it seems like the organization is moving away from him so I'd expect him to be traded.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if Miller is back. I like him more then most do but it seems like the organization is moving away from him so I'd expect him to be traded.

I would be disappointed if they traded him simply for the fact I doubt any return would be worth it.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be disappointed if they traded him simply for the fact I doubt any return would be worth it.
Agree. Guess it depends how much the new GM values him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-sign Kuma for 2 years, $14M
Sign Gerardo Parra for 4 years, $30M
Sign Dexter Fowler for 4 years, $45M
Sign Greinke for 5 years, $150M
Sign Mark Lowe for 2 years, $1.5M
Sign Darren O’Day for 3 years, $15M
Re-Sign Guti for 1 year, $5M
Trade Seth Smith and Gareth Morgan for Vogt

C - Vogt
1B- Trumbo
2B- Cano
3B- Seager
SS- Marte
LF- Flores
CF- Fowler
RF- Parra
DH- Cruz

Bench- Sucre or Hicks, Miller, O'Malley, Guti

SP- Felix
SP- Greinke
SP- Walker
SP- Kuma
SP- Paxton

RP- Nuno
RP- Lowe
RP- Furbush
RP- Zych
RP- Wilhelmsen
RP- Smith
CL- O'Day

All in a days work for Dipoto. I came up with a payroll of $156.51M using my roster. Totally doable if they increase payroll to $150M like some speculate.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-sign Kuma for 2 years, $14M
Sign Gerardo Parra for 4 years, $30M
Sign Dexter Fowler for 4 years, $45M
Sign Greinke for 5 years, $150M
Sign Mark Lowe for 2 years, $1.5M
Sign Darren O’Day for 3 years, $15M
Re-Sign Guti for 1 year, $5M
Trade Seth Smith and Gareth Morgan for Vogt

C - Vogt
1B- Trumbo
2B- Cano
3B- Seager
SS- Marte
LF- Flores
CF- Fowler
RF- Parra
DH- Cruz

Bench- Sucre or Hicks, Miller, O'Malley, Guti

SP- Felix
SP- Greinke
SP- Walker
SP- Kuma
SP- Paxton

RP- Nuno
RP- Lowe
RP- Furbush
RP- Zych
RP- Wilhelmsen
RP- Smith
CL- O'Day

All in a days work for Dipoto. I came up with a payroll of $156.51M using my roster. Totally doable if they increase payroll to $150M like some speculate.

Lloyd calls you an idiot for not being a former pro coming up with something.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lloyd calls you an idiot for not being a former pro coming up with something.

When did he call me an idiot? I will fight him right now! Where is the bastard????

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha you know I'm making fun of his calling that reporter an idiot for questioning the pros

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha you know I'm making fun of his calling that reporter an idiot for questioning the pros

I did. I thought it was funny remark and was just goofing...which is much like Lloyd who is a goof.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok,

Kuma......my gawd he just seems like meh, but holy cow...he is still a stud, but has health issues.
Felix......Duh
Walker.......c'mon dude, you are the most gifted athlete, to everyone that is asked "who is the best athlete?"
Paxton.........NFW, I like this guy, but has been injured with major pussy issues.......Grow some Paxton. Soon.
Elias, et al are all scrubs, meaning replaceable players.
I like the signing of Greinke..................why the hell not. But I doubt it.

So, we have 3 serviceable pitchers, Felix, Kuma, and Walker. That is it.

Positions in next post, so you can rip me on this one.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positions.

C........wow, just wow, we got shit. Maybe Z when he learns a bit, but not now. All others on our roster, meh...Hicks and Baron, maybe, Sucre, NFW. We need 2 new catchers next year.

1B.............Morrison, NO. Montero, uhhh maybe, but I don't want to give up on him. He really can Mash. That catch by Trout was awesome, (u know what I'm talking about?) Trumbo, seriously, he looked like shit early, then looked just better than shit after looking like shit.
We need a stud 1B. Please no Re-tread. Pay for this position.

2B......cano
SS....Marte.....ive read some doubters, not for me.......Marte.
3B....Duh, Seager

Utility........O'Malley, Miller. I really like BOTH of these guys. You may disagree. Do it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OF.......oh mt, Here is where we are Charles Barkley Turible. Translation, .....really shitty.

Guti.........part time only.
Jones........4A..........Sept base runner
Cruz.....because we have to. Seriously, he is ok in OF. and he dislikes the DH, so play him in RF 77%
This is a SAD lot folks, who we got. I mentioned Miller, but as a sub. O'mally and Miller IF/OF subs

Fowler, I was asking for this, but now that he had a great Cubs game, his price went way up.

So, we suck in the OF, for sure, along with C and 1B.

Oh boy, do your job Dipoto.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside LoMo and Zunino, I like our IF... Seager, Marte, Cano are solid at their positions...

1B: I can see the team hanging onto Trumbo due to his salary... If we could trade him for pitching, I'd rather do that... Dipoto traded him once already so that's not out of the question... If traded, I'd see what Montero could do at 1B... I don't want LoMo on the roster at all...

I'd like to see us trade Brad Miller and Chris Taylor... We could probably get a solid Catcher for Miller...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside LoMo and Zunino, I like our IF... Seager, Marte, Cano are solid at their positions...

1B: I can see the team hanging onto Trumbo due to his salary... If we could trade him for pitching, I'd rather do that... Dipoto traded him once already so that's not out of the question... If traded, I'd see what Montero could do at 1B... I don't want LoMo on the roster at all...

I'd like to see us trade Brad Miller and Chris Taylor... We could probably get a solid Catcher for Miller...

Only problem trading both is we would have no backup plan if Marte fizzles or gets hurt. I have no problem trading them as long as we can get a quality backup.