• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newest article on the Suh extension talks.....

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 DT's to start off with, because I think Fairley will be gone too.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think drafting a 3rd DT wouldn't have been too bad. The only thing we keep reading about Eric Ebron is how he continues to battle drops at Lions practices. It was mentioned a few times at the OTA's and they wrote about it again today at the Lions first practice.

Maybe he is getting them all out of the way right now.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Lions are low balling him. I think Suh is going to be asking for an absurd amount of money. If Suh would take market value for his position. He'd be re-signed already, IMO.

I truly hope the Lions do not give in to Suh. I love him as a player, but he isn't worth more than what he was paid for his rookie deal, which makes him the highest paid DT in the NFL still. Paying Suh 20%+ more than the next highest paid DT would be an absolute disaster.

Its possible that he is asking for an absurd amount of money and this could definitely be happening because the lions originally insulted him by lowballing him.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think expecting both guys to stay is nothing but a pipe dream. Who cares about drafting 3 first round DTs? Especially when one or two of those picks wont be on the team next year?

When tpaul says someone is leaving you can pretty much book it. He has only positive things to say so this is a clear indicator one or both will be gone.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer to talk about How much money that free's up and what can we do with it? Trust me Lewland and Mayhew have known this for a long time, so what are they doing behind the curtains knowing how money will be on hand.

It will open up a big chunk for sure. Just hoping it isn't Mayhew and Lewand spending it. They are decent with contracts (outside the Suh debacle) but have literally zero eye for talent.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its possible that he is asking for an absurd amount of money and this could definitely be happening because the lions originally insulted him by lowballing him.

I actually find this scenario probable. Between Mayhew and Lewand, there isn't an abundance of intelligence going on there. When you have one of the two most disruptive forces on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL, you acknowledge that, offer him a raise, and go from there. And I'm betting that didn't happen.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess it was a good thing I got a Stafford jersey when they were sold out of Suh jerseys in Tampa.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...talk about how much money that frees up and what can we do with it?

The same thing they did with all the money they had before spending it on one of the best players on the league, spend it on a bunch of shitty guys we get.

The anti-Suh crowd is blind to what this guy has brought to this team. Without Suh, Levy doesn't get all those INT's, Ziggy doesn't do what he does, and one of the best 3rd down defenses in the NFL isn't even in the top half. Without the pressure Suh brings, our CB's may as well be hot dog vendors.

Without Suh, this is one of the worst D's in the league. Thinking this drunk staff is going to get "3 or 4 great players for the price of one" is blind optimism.

You don't get anywhere in life letting your best employees go. Lions fucked up. Just admit it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also dont get anywhere in life by overpaying employees.

This defense will probably be a 3-4 by next year. No Suh required. 20 million saved. Ziggy, Van Noy and the rest will be fine. Need a CB and can get a good one plus another LB and a NT with that money.

Defense completed.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Suh, this is one of the worst D's in the league. Thinking this drunk staff is going to get "3 or 4 great players for the price of one" is blind optimism.

You don't get anywhere in life letting your best employees go. Lions fucked up. Just admit it.

The defense will suck if he walks. Really bad... However teams do have sucess without a Suh at DT. You are correct in saying these guys will screw up which players to go after. There are some other GM's that can do it right. My optimism exist that he is fired and someone takes over.

Companies all have budgets, just as in the cap for football. You can give employees a raise within means of overhead. In the real world were you can't tweak a contract system people are let go when you can't afford them.

Mayhew has fucked up many things. I can not hold him accountable for Suh if Suh wants to walk or was asking a ungodly amount of money. Not being raked over the coals for 17 or 18 mill is actually a good decision IMO from Mayhew to let him walk and you don't understand that then I will work for your company and strive to be the best employee possible.

Either way some people here including you will hammer Mayhew on his decision whether good or bad for the teams future.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also dont get anywhere in life by overpaying employees.

This defense will probably be a 3-4 by next year. No Suh required. 20 million saved. Ziggy, Van Noy and the rest will be fine. Need a CB and can get a good one plus another LB and a NT with that money.

Defense completed.

Agree 10000% with the bold.

Second part is scary though. I am not sure Mayhew can build anything with Lego's. Much less getting the proper personnel for this team, especially after switching schemes.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 10000% with the bold.

Second part is scary though. I am not sure Mayhew can build anything with Lego's. Much less getting the proper personnel for this team, especially after switching schemes.

:agree:

How many years has he had to build a successful 4-3? Apparently not enough...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way some people here including you will hammer Mayhew on his decision whether good or bad for the teams future.
This is the unfortunate part. It's a "damned if you do damned if you don't" scenario.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions don't pay Suh what he wants, and he ends up leaving, the screw-up will have been not trading him before the draft. He clearly had no interest in signing this off-season.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The good news is it won't last long. This time next year Suh will be gone, but so will Mayhew. Will you still defend him when he's head valet at Fishbones?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont really care what happens to the head office folks.

I do have faith in Lombardi and Austin until they prove otherwise. Hopefully, Caldwell will be smart enough to let his young stud coordinators do what they do and Jimmy just needs to manage and discipline.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news is it won't last long. This time next year Suh will be gone, but so will Mayhew. Will you still defend him when he's head valet at Fishbones?

I have been hearing the same nonsense about Mayhew since he got hired.

Also I doubt hes going to go from multi millionaire NFL executive to working as a valet. Thats stupid.

Face reality. Mayhew is the Lions GM. He will continue to be.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you read my post? Go back and read again about my optimism... I do not defend Mayhew, screamed for him to be fired with Schwartz.

I did say if Suh wants to walk that is not on Mayhew.

Would you still hammer Mayhew for paying Suh 17 million a year? The only FA's they will be able to pay is the other valet workers.